PDA

View Full Version : The Indiana Jones of Coffee

Shadow
07-19-2012, 10:00 PM
BOMA, South Sudan—Tim Schilling trudged through the African wilderness, trailing a barefoot tribeswoman named Nyameron.

A sort of Indiana Jones of coffee, Mr. Schilling, 59 years old, was seeking wild strains of coffea Arabica, the fragrant beans used to make most of the world's lattes and cappuccinos. The Texas A&M University agronomist heads World Coffee Research, a nonprofit financed by Folgers coffee maker J.M. Smucker Co., Peet's Coffee & Tea Inc. and others.

The group's goal is to expand the global coffee crop's tiny gene pool. But after four days of hiking on this plateau west of Ethiopia, Mr. Schilling's 15-member expedition—which included a coffee taxonomist, a Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. executive, agriculture students and hired porters—still hadn't found any specimens that seemed new. They were hoping that Nyameron, a wild-coffee connoisseur they had met through a Murle tribal chief, could help.

Companies are turning to exploration to ensure future coffee supplies because production has leveled off even as demand has increased, causing coffee-bean prices to quadruple since 2001.

The world consumed 17.6 billion pounds of coffee beans last year, up from 2.6 billion in 1982, according to the U.S. Agriculture Department. But production in Colombia, which provides 10% of the world's Arabica beans, has dropped 36% since 2005. Output in Brazil, the world's leading Arabica producer, recently hit a four-year low.

Many factors are causing coffee's problems, experts say, including climate changes in some coffee-growing areas and population growth in Central America, which has led to pressure to convert coffee plots into housing and shopping malls.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-indiana-jones-of-coffee.html

darin
07-20-2012, 05:06 AM
I generally drink 4-8 cups a day of glorious Coffee! :) Love it. Best thing since...s3x. AND, I don't feel like a loser for 'drinking coffee without a partner' :D

Shadow
07-20-2012, 08:08 AM
I generally drink 4-8 cups a day of glorious Coffee! :) Love it. Best thing since...s3x. AND, I don't feel like a loser for 'drinking coffee without a partner' :D

I don't drink coffee much...but my kids do. Their dad got them addicted when they were old enough to walk. They like the fru fru flavors though (Vanilla,carmel,chocolate truffle etc). :)

I was wondering why coffee costs so dang much these days though (holy cow)...now I know. Civilization is encroaching on the land used to grow the stuff...as more people become addicted to .

Kind of a catch 22. Gotta have more shopping malls to sell coffee...and the malls leave no place to grow the stuff. Funny how that works...such is life LOL

darin
07-20-2012, 08:15 AM
I like foo-foo flavors in my coffee, too :(

:(

I really enjoy costco whole-bean. We have a burr-grinder and grind fresh before every brew. Makes a good cup :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-20-2012, 08:31 AM
I really used to love to drink my coffee. Now Im sworn off coffee because of the caffeine. Of course I could drink decaffeinated but I decided to go with healthier fruit juices as a substitute. Back in the day I was wired like a big dog in wintertime when I drank 10 to 12 cups of very strong coffee a day!
I've only had two cups of coffee in the last 15 months.

darin
07-20-2012, 08:45 AM
I stopped drinking pop/soda. Since Dec 2009 I can't imagine i've had more than 8 whole bottles/cans of pop. If I have nothing else, I imbibe - otherwise...coffee or water...or beer. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-20-2012, 09:00 AM
I stopped drinking pop/soda. Since Dec 2009 I can't imagine i've had more than 8 whole bottles/cans of pop. If I have nothing else, I imbibe - otherwise...coffee or water...or beer. :)

I stopped the drinking pop too. Now I buy the 8 packs of 7.5 fluid oz. cans of Sprite for my wife and I occasionally drink one. Sprite = no caffeine. I figure that my saving the calories by not drinking pop allows for my buying and usually eating the lion's share of two blackberry cobblers a week. Im like a bear about blackberries. As a child my mother used to make the best blackberry cobblers. With eleven kids I never got enough!;)

darin
07-20-2012, 09:23 AM
I stopped the drinking pop too. Now I buy the 8 packs of 7.5 fluid oz. cans of Sprite for my wife and I occasionally drink one. Sprite = no caffeine. I figure that my saving the calories by not drinking pop allows for my buying and usually eating the lion's share of two blackberry cobblers a week. Im like a bear about blackberries. As a child my mother used to make the best blackberry cobblers. With eleven kids I never got enough!;)

Sprite = about 150 calories per can.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Sprite = about 150 calories per can.

I buy the Sprite, 7.5 ounce cans only= 90 calories with no caffeine.
Occasionally drink one = usually about 1 per week as opposed to my old standard of 3 15 ounce cans of pop a day.
Went from 3x 150=450, 450x7=3150 calories a week on soda to about 90 calories(one can 7.5 ounce) a week. A difference of 3060 calories a week.
I think I'll stick with my plan and still splurge on the blackberry cobblers!
Especially since I 've cut back about 80% on my drinking of cold brewskies.-;)
15 months ,currently down 39 pounds = 189lbs.. Slower steady weight loss is the best weight loss IMHO.
My best fighting weight is 185lbs. A mere 4 lbs to go! - :dance:-Tyr

darin
07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Start of June I was 245lbs This morning I'm 230.8. Slow and steady indeed. :) 30 more to go.

(73" tall, btw)

Thunderknuckles
07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I was wondering why coffee costs so dang much these days though (holy cow)...now I know. Civilization is encroaching on the land used to grow the stuff...as more people become addicted to .
You're letting you're inner hippy show on that one Shadow :p

I'll tell you my theory. The price of coffee isn't high per se. It just feels like it because of all the douche bags that line up at Starbucks to get a $5 cup of "foo foo" coffee. My wife is one of them. I actually had to put a budget restriction on her coffee spending! Meanwhile, I pay 50 cents for a large cup of coffee from the food truck that pulls up at my job and it tastes just fine in all it's roachy goodness.

:coffee:

logroller
07-20-2012, 12:25 PM

I really enjoy costco whole-bean. We have a burr-grinder and grind fresh before every brew. Makes a good cup :)
Ok. I know you hav sweet canon glass; and now I find out you have a burr grinder...
Must find a way to prevent my coveting of others--where's that ignore link?

Ok, you drink beer...ignore averted.:beer:

Shadow
07-20-2012, 09:00 PM

We have pinon coffee here...ever tried that? It's very good. Have a place I visit just to send NM coffee to friends and relatives around the holidays.

I really used to love to drink my coffee. Now Im sworn off coffee because of the caffeine. Of course I could drink decaffeinated but I decided to go with healthier fruit juices as a substitute. Back in the day I was wired like a big dog in wintertime when I drank 10 to 12 cups of very strong coffee a day!
I've only had two cups of coffee in the last 15 months.

I used to drink a lot of Iced tea...then I started working and since I don't drink coffee I got hooked on cokes. I need to cut back and drink more water.

You're letting you're inner hippy show on that one Shadow :p

I'll tell you my theory. The price of coffee isn't high per se. It just feels like it because of all the douche bags that line up at Starbucks to get a $5 cup of "foo foo" coffee. My wife is one of them. I actually had to put a budget restriction on her coffee spending! Meanwhile, I pay 50 cents for a large cup of coffee from the food truck that pulls up at my job and it tastes just fine in all it's roachy goodness.

:coffee:

Yeah...and now we have all the other foo foo coffee joints popping up all over the place...Satelite....Joe's Coffee..etc...

But...last time I tried to buy DD's coffee at the grocery store it was almost $12.00 a bag. I decided the brats could do without ;)

Ah...the roach coach. I miss those...was very good for quickie breakfast burritos when I was preggers.

revelarts
07-21-2012, 09:49 AM
http://www.riprenfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/015-coffee-juan-valdez.jpg

I thought this guy was the Indiana Jones of Coffee...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-21-2012, 10:05 AM
http://www.riprenfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/015-coffee-juan-valdez.jpg

I thought this guy was the Indiana Jones of Coffee...

Good 'ole Juan Valdez.... I wonder if he is still alive and kicking?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-21-2012, 10:08 AM
We have pinon coffee here...ever tried that? It's very good. Have a place I visit just to send NM coffee to friends and relatives around the holidays.

I used to drink a lot of Iced tea...then I started working and since I don't drink coffee I got hooked on cokes. I need to cut back and drink more water.

Yeah...and now we have all the other foo foo coffee joints popping up all over the place...Satelite....Joe's Coffee..etc...

But...last time I tried to buy DD's coffee at the grocery store it was almost $12.00 a bag. I decided the brats could do without ;)

Ah...the roach coach. I miss those...was very good for quickie breakfast burritos when I was preggers.

Cokes are far worse to drink that coffee! Far more bad ingredients ! Proceed with due caution my friend...;)-Tyr

Shadow
07-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Cokes are far worse to drink that coffee! Far more bad ingredients ! Proceed with due caution my friend...;)-Tyr

Well....they are the same in one respect. They both get you addicted to caffeine...and then trying to give it up has some seriously crappy side effects. In my case... horrible migraines.

But, I agree...coke/sodas are evil. Now... I just need to work them out of my daily routine.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Well....they are the same in one respect. They both get you addicted to caffeine...and then trying to give it up has some seriously crappy side effects. In my case... horrible migraines.

But, I agree...coke/sodas are evil. Now... I just need to work them out of my daily routine.

Try substituting a fruit drink, one with little or no added sugar. I buy cranberry juice and apple juice myself.
Orange juice for breakfast with a slice of raisan bread. Usually fish or chicken for lunch and supper. Chicken , I buy boneless, skinless and either have it baked or stir fried using olive oil. That way I can have my healthy veggies too.
Cokes = bad= 1.the caffeine, 2. the sweetners, 3. the artificial coloring, 4.the carbonation.
Coffee=bad= the caffeine. One or even two cups of coffee a day not so bad but more is a different story.
Avoid both and lose weight too is a win/win.-:beer:
Of course even if you dont need to lose any weight its still a win/win IMHO.-Tyr

Shadow
07-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Try substituting a fruit drink, one with little or no added sugar. I buy cranberry juice and apple juice myself.
Orange juice for breakfast with a slice of raisan bread. Usually fish or chicken for lunch and supper. Chicken , I buy boneless, skinless and either have it baked or stir fried using olive oil. That way I can have my healthy veggies too.
Cokes = bad= 1.the caffeine, 2. the sweetners, 3. the artificial coloring, 4.the carbonation.
Coffee=bad= the caffeine. One or even two cups of coffee a day not so bad but more is a different story.
Avoid both and lose weight too is a win/win.-:beer:
Of course even if you dont need to lose any weight its still a win/win IMHO.-Tyr

Ewww....just say no to the orange juice. ;)

I tend to eat a lot of stir fry when I am in diet mode...so that works for me. Wonder what other juice is availble. They have a million and one kinds these days...should be easy enough to find something good I would think. Other than water (which I need to drink more of too.)

hjmick
07-22-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm disappointed. I thought this thread was about Juan Valdez...

Kathianne
07-22-2012, 12:56 AM
For a moment it had my interest, I love my coffee. Then it got all green and abs. I was out. ;)

Shadow
07-22-2012, 01:17 AM
For a moment it had my interest, I love my coffee. Then it got all green and abs. I was out. ;)

Guess you would aree with Mr. Shilling then?

"Coffee is the second most important commodity in the world after petroleum," he says. "But there has been less research conducted on it than peanuts or kumquats."

And on a green note...can you believe they clear cut the rain forrest of coffee plants just to grow bananas,corn and grass? The bastards. :)

Shadow
07-22-2012, 01:23 AM
Good 'ole Juan Valdez.... I wonder if he is still alive and kicking?

One of them might be....but the original died in 1993. Here are some facts about Juan Valdez...seems he's had about 5 lives...

Juan Valdez was initially portrayed by José F. Duval (http://www.debatepolicy.com/w/index.php?title=Jos%C3%A9_F._Duval&action=edit&redlink=1) in both print advertisements and on television until 1969. José Duval died in 1993 at the age of 72.[4] (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#cite_note-3)
Juan Valdez had been embodied by Carlos Sánchez (http://www.debatepolicy.com/wiki/Carlos_S%C3%A1nchez_(actor)) since 1969 and voiced by Norman Rose (http://www.debatepolicy.com/wiki/Norman_Rose). In 2006, Sánchez announced his retirement,[5] (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#cite_note-4) and Carlos Castañeda, a grower from the town of Andes, Antioquia (http://www.debatepolicy.com/wiki/Antioquia), was selected[6] (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#cite_note-5) by the National Federation of Coffee Growers of Colombia as the new face of Juan Valdez.[7] (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#cite_note-6)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Valdez

jimnyc
07-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Someone say coffee? Sure, I can use a cup! But pretty much only regular 'ol Green Mountain if away from home, and "Donut House" K cups for my Keurig machine. I'm telling you, they put crack in that stuff. I started drinking it about a year ago or so and haven't stopped since. Literally, been up for a year enjoying this yummy coffee! Gonna go refill now... :coffee2::hyper:

logroller
07-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Juan Valdez aint got nothing in the xx beer guy-- Sasquatch took his picture Ive heard:lol: plus, he ran against the pamplona bulls, not with them. That's badass!