PDA

View Full Version : Want The Good News Or Bad First?

Kathianne
07-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Good first:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Housing-Starts-in-U-S-Rose-in-June-to-Highest-3716245.php

Housing Starts in U.S. Rose in June to Highest Since 2008 <!-- e src/business/templates/hearst/article/headline.tpl --> <!-- src/business/templates/hearst/article/types/byline.tpl --> <!-- Michelle Jamrisko, ©2012 Bloomberg News --> Michelle Jamrisko, Bloomberg <!-- src/business/templates/hearst/article/news_registry/beacon.tpl --> http://analytics.apnewsregistry.com/analytics/v2/image.svc/bloomberg/RWS/sfgate.com/MAI/3716245/E/prod/AT/A Copyright 2012 Bloomberg. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. (http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Housing-Starts-in-U-S-Rose-in-June-to-Highest-3716245.php#license-5008d17582f3b) <!-- e src/business/templates/hearst/article/news_registry/beacon.tpl -->
Michelle Jamrisko, ©2012 Bloomberg News <!-- e src/business/templates/hearst/article/types/byline.tpl --> Updated 08:00 a.m., Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Whoops, forgot to say the 'bad news' is 'unexpected...

http://www.rttnews.com/1926756/u-s-existing-home-sales-unexpectedly-drop-to-eight-month-low.aspx?type=fts&Node=B3

U.S. Existing Home Sales Unexpectedly Drop To Eight-Month Low
7/19/2012 10:48 AM ET
(RTTNews) - With tight supplies of affordable homes limiting first-time buyers, the National Association of Realtors released a report on Thursday showing an unexpected drop in existing home sales in the month of June.

NAR said existing home sales fell 5.4 percent to an annual rate of 4.37 million in June from an upwardly revised 4.62 million in May. The drop surprised economists, who had expected existing home sales to climb to 4.65 million from the 4.55 million originally reported for the previous month.

The unexpected drop pulled the annual rate of existing home sales down to the lowest level since October of 2011, when existing home sales came in at an annual rate of 4.32 million...

PostmodernProphet
07-20-2012, 06:37 AM
I work in an office surrounded by 60 realtors....this actually IS good news....

tight supplies of affordable homes limiting first time buyers

I'm hearing the same thing every day, we're starting to see home values come back up and the bargain basement sale on basements is over.....that means the people who are upside down on their mortgages are less upside down than they were.....

Kathianne
07-20-2012, 08:57 AM

I'm hearing the same thing every day, we're starting to see home values come back up and the bargain basement sale on basements is over.....that means the people who are upside down on their mortgages are less upside down than they were.....

Where are you, geographically. Seems some areas are beginning to recover, at least that is what the MSM has been saying.

Mr. P
07-20-2012, 08:57 AM

Interesting. I'm hearing that only 1/3rd of pending foreclosures have taken place thus far leaving (millions?) to go. Bankruptcy filings are high and expected to exceed last yrs total. Unemployment remains 8%+ nationally, higher for many states.

I know there are pockets around the country that are seeing small positive changes but overall things are still pretty bleak nationally. IMO

PostmodernProphet
07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Where are you, geographically. Seems some areas are beginning to recover, at least that is what the MSM has been saying.

Western Michigan.....we were hurting long before the rest of the country started experiencing it......we also seem to be coming out of it sooner.....I credit the fact we got a Republican governor to go along with our Republican Senate and House in 2010.....

Kathianne
07-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Western Michigan.....we were hurting long before the rest of the country started experiencing it......we also seem to be coming out of it sooner.....I credit the fact we got a Republican governor to go along with our Republican Senate and House in 2010.....

I wholeheartedly hope you are correct. From what I've been reading for quite a while now, there are real fears we're already in a recession, that is getting worse. Of course, it takes many months for that to be recognized. I like your scenario much better.