PDA

View Full Version : What qualifies one to be a patriot?

gabosaurus
07-20-2012, 11:35 PM
I've been wondering about this. What qualities and beliefs does one need to possess in order to be regarded as a true red, white and blue American patriot (as opposed to a lying, cheating New England Patriot, of course).
Do you need to be a conservative Republican? Believe only in the Christian God? Be a military veteran? Distrust and/or dislike everyone who is not a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant? Own a gun and drive a large car that gets less than 20 mpg?
Please enlighten me.

Kathianne
07-21-2012, 12:34 AM
I've been wondering about this. What qualities and beliefs does one need to possess in order to be regarded as a true red, white and blue American patriot (as opposed to a lying, cheating New England Patriot, of course).
Do you need to be a conservative Republican? Believe only in the Christian God? Be a military veteran? Distrust and/or dislike everyone who is not a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant? Own a gun and drive a large car that gets less than 20 mpg?
Please enlighten me.

full of false premises here. When did you stop beating your husband?

logroller
07-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Found this:
What do all these American patriots have in common? What belief and values qualify them as American patriots? Perhaps it is the fact they love their country, they honor the American flag and the Republic for which it stands, and they believe in the ideal of liberty and justice for all!This then is the single most determining quality engendered by all American patriots, love for their country, love for these United States of America, respect for the American flag and the Republic for which it stands. What this really means given we are one people, a nation, is that an American patriot expresses their feeling of brotherhood, their bond and love for each other as one nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all.
An American patriot is then anyone who loves their country. When that love is expressed through works, deeds or acts which contribute to those ideals which they cherish and upon which our great nation is founded and built, then we have acts of patriotism, then we have an American patriot whose actions build upon that foundation of liberty our nation's founding fathers laid.http://www.byteland.org/apa/apa_patriot.htm

aboutime
07-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Personally. I have no need to explain, or question what the qualifications might be, in order to be accepted by others....as a Patriot.
Frankly. If someone has to question me, or any other American citizen as to whether they consider themselves a Patriot....according to someone else's definition, or standards. They do not deserve. Nor will they get any response from me.

Patriotism to me, is much like my being a Christian.
In both cases. I have no reason, nor will I defend myself, my faith, or my patriotism to anyone just to make them feel slightly more superior...because they demand an answer.

Anyone who questions my patriotism, or my religious beliefs DESERVES NOTHING.

Thunderknuckles
07-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Please enlighten me.
I have only one litmus test:
Do you get a lump in your throat and tear up when you gaze upon the flag and contemplate all that it represents and all those that have died for it?
I do.

Thunderknuckles
07-21-2012, 03:27 PM
When did you stop beating your husband?
Damn Kat. That was harsh :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Do you get a lump in your throat and tear up when you gaze upon the flag and contemplate all that it represents and all those that have died for it?
I do.

You beat me to it my friend. I was going to post something quite similiar but yours was better, to the point and much shorter. I like that much better, so will just say -bravo and offer you a cold beer for a truly great post! And I'll join you if you dont mind...

----------:beer:---:beer:---:salute:--Tyr

Drummond
07-21-2012, 07:51 PM
I do.

This, for me, helps define what makes America such a great country.

It's not that patriotism is dead in the British. However ... over here, we've been drowning in a sea of political correctness for decades. Here, sing the praises of the Union Flag to any extent, and you can be called 'racist' !

It's the difference between what happens when the Left gains control of the public mood, since all this political correctness comes from them. Be in no doubt .. what the Left have done here, they'd love to do in America, too.

So ... by my thinking, certainly what helps to define what a patriot is, is that you resist the ambitions the Left has for you. Because .. if you don't, for the sake of promoting all their 'one world' nonsense, they'll happily try to kill any strong spirit of patriotism off any way they can.

This isn't theory with me .. it's simple observation.

gabosaurus
07-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I do.

I do as well. When I take my daughter to parades and such, I get choked up seeing honor guards displaying the flag. Same thing when I took her to the monuments in Washington, DC.

My question is, do you want to disqualify me because my political and social views don't match yours? Can Americans with different opinions still be considered Americans?

Thunderknuckles
07-22-2012, 12:10 AM
I do as well. When I take my daughter to parades and such, I get choked up seeing honor guards displaying the flag. Same thing when I took her to the monuments in Washington, DC.

My question is, do you want to disqualify me because my political and social views don't match yours? Can Americans with different opinions still be considered Americans?
It's sad that you even feel the need to ask that question of me or anyone else Gabby.
I know you love what this country stands for. We just differ on the course we should take going forward.

Will you do me a personal favor and call me a right wing racist, misogynist, gun nut? ;)

gabosaurus
07-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Come on Thunderknuckles, I doubt you are a misogynist. :cool:

Kathianne
07-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Come on Thunderknuckles, I doubt you are a misogynist. :cool:

It's pretty clear he's not, dontcha think?

Noir
07-22-2012, 10:29 AM
There is no such thing, it's just another concept we use to fight argue with one another.

Oh, and sell stuff, it's very useful at selling stuff.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-22-2012, 11:18 AM
There is no such thing, it's just another concept we use to fight argue with one another.

Oh, and sell stuff, it's very useful at selling stuff.

Really? Cynical much?
No such thing you say? So it is just my imagination ,eh! I do not really feel the way I do about this great nation and do not truly have my desire for it's preservation in order that my children , grandchilden and all theirs to enjoy Liberty and Freedom like no other place in the world!
Do tell how you know this amazing revelation......
Am I delusional or what?-Tyr

Roo
07-22-2012, 11:25 AM

Again with the irony....you attack and denigrate the Right with almost every stroke of your keyboard.....the beauty and wisdom of the United States as founded is that it embraces the differences and diversity of it's citizens.

Noir
07-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Really? Cynical much?
No such thing you say? So it is just my imagination ,eh! I do not really feel the way I do about this great nation and do not truly have my desire for it's preservation in order that my children , grandchilden and all theirs to enjoy Liberty and Freedom like no other place in the world!
Do tell how you know this amazing revelation......
Am I delusional or what?-Tyr

If you can't see the irony woven into your own post while quoting mine, then you've missed the point of mine.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-22-2012, 12:57 PM
If you can't see the irony woven into your own post while quoting mine, then you've missed the point of mine.

How is it ironic?
Where have I said that you have no right to be as unpatriotic as you care to be ?
I do however vigorously disagree with that as is indeed also my right to do so just as is your right to do.
I do not blindly follow government as if its a God instead I adhere to the laws and principles that are truly Constitutional. Our government sometimes changes drasticly from one four year term to the next. I put my allegiance in principles rather than any one current government regime. My patriotism is based upon principles not politicians(men) that are often corrupt and come and go like seasons of the year.
Perhaps you would not be so jaded were you to endeavor to do the same.-Tyr