PDA

View Full Version : Here is a guy that really took a bullet for a girl!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-21-2012, 06:23 PM
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/21/12875584-shooting-survivor-boyfriend-took-a-bullet-for-me?lite

By Miranda Leitsinger, NBC News
Amid the booms of gunfire and smoke from tear gas in a crowded Aurora, Colo., movie theater, Jansen Young felt her boyfriend give her one final push under a seat to shield her – a move she believes saved her life.

But Jon Blunk didn’t survive the attack on the Friday midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” outside Denver.

"Jon just took a bullet for me," Young, a 21-year-old who recently became a certified veterinarian technician, told TODAY.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The couple, dating since October, according to Young, had been surprised to be able to get tickets on the day of the popular movie’s premiere.

Advertise | AdChoicesWhen the alleged assailant, James Eagan Holmes, began his attack on the crowd, Blunk, who Young said had some military experience, knew what was going on, Young said.

"He knew and threw me on the ground, and was like, 'We have to get down and stay down,'" she told NBC News.

In the chaos that ensued, Young recalled hearing a woman screaming, "I've been shot,” and a man who stepped on the chair she was hiding under crying out, “Jessie’s been shot.” She heard the constant "boom, boom, boom" of the guns and smelled the gunpowder.

"There was kind of a break in between each gunshot,” she said. "Every gunshot, I was like, 'This is it … I'm done for.'"

The one constant for her during the attack was Jon's arms pushing her under the seat to keep her out of the line of fire. At one point, she felt herself get struck, and showed a reporter about a dozen marks on her left torso that she believes may have been from shrapnel.

"I kind of felt that in multiple places,” she said of the marks. Then, she said, "Jon gave me one good push against that concrete again and then … I didn’t really feel his arms against my back anymore but I knew he was still there."

At first, she didn’t think he had been shot, but knew something had happened.

Unlike an unproven boast made here by a member in the past , here is a guy that really took a bullet saving a young girl's life!-Tyr
Some act bravely while some run away leaving crying children to fend for themselves! Looks like many acted bravely in face of severe danger ..I am proud to say...-Tyr

gabosaurus
07-21-2012, 10:45 PM
You act like this is something that has never happened before. I am guessing that 98 percent of the men in this forum would do the exact same thing (not sure about you stuffy English types. Especially if you are terminally single).
In every disaster or traumatic scene, you hear about men shielding women. In combat, there are countless stories of men making the ultimate sacrifice to save their buddies.
I would do the same thing for my daughter or anyone in my family. I hope you would, too.

darin
07-22-2012, 05:29 AM
Hey Gab - so...why is my wife "impure"??

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-22-2012, 11:09 AM
You act like this is something that has never happened before. I am guessing that 98 percent of the men in this forum would do the exact same thing (not sure about you stuffy English types. Especially if you are terminally single).
In every disaster or traumatic scene, you hear about men shielding women. In combat, there are countless stories of men making the ultimate sacrifice to save their buddies.
I would do the same thing for my daughter or anyone in my family. I hope you would, too.

Exactly how do I act like it is something new? Im not a Brit, stuffy or otherwise.
Had I been there with a weapon I would have shot that bastard in the chest and if upon seeing that having no effect from my 45 cal Kimber I would have went for head shots, much harder but I shoot well enough to deliver(although extremely hard in a darkened theater room). Archery was my first love, rifle my second but as a teenager and young man the pistol overtook both and I practiced 1 or 2 days a week for decades on pistol shooting. I make no claim to being the best at it but I shoot above expert because my older brother shoots certified expert and I trounce him with perfect ease every time we do a little competetion. So yes I would have done that and almost certainly more. Why would I hide there with a gun and not fire back? That would be insanity considering he was spraying the room with bullets! Hell, I'd be taking no more chance by firing back than by hiding behind things that can not adequately shield from a bullet!

disclaimer: My above post is not an admission/announcement of my being a legal conceal carry permit holder. Maybe I am , maybe I am not. That's to be found out for sure only one way! I've told everybody I know that conceal carry to only let those they trust with their life know that they conceal carry! For the odd chance that somebody may know and decide to shoot you in the head first to get rid of the REAL threat before they start their rampage! Its good advice to all conceal carry holders IMHO.--Tyr

jafar00
07-22-2012, 02:55 PM
A darkened theater full of gun nuts all shooting towards any muzzle flashes they see would be a good thing. (sarcasm filter not engaged)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-22-2012, 03:10 PM
A darkened theater full of gun nuts all shooting towards any muzzle flashes they see would be a good thing. (sarcasm filter not engaged)

Just how silly can you be? Obviously it wasnt full of gun nuts, or even legal conceal carry holders either! I resent your term of gun nut as well. My reply was made with full knowledge of that fact. And if I were there and others all started shooting at the insane bastard dont you think he would get hit in the face or choose to exit as he later did . It was clearly his intention to suffer no harm himself, as his use of the body armor showed as well as his peaceful surrender! Very likely just the shooting back at him would have ran him away regardless of the hits or misses.
Have you ever even shot a gun? If so , how good did you become?
If not , then your credibility on even discussing this shooting is sorely lacking IMHO.
Would be like me trying to lecture a brain surgeon on brain surgery!--Tyr

jafar00
07-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Have you ever even shot a gun? If so , how good did you become?

I came 3rd in my battalion in a shooting competition with SLR rifles. I also beat everyone from another Batalion back in the day (early 1990s). I could also make a tight grouping with an M16 and proficient with the M60.

I know all about guns and learned to respect them. I also realised that there is no place for them outside of a warzone.

Nell's Room
07-22-2012, 09:56 PM

This is true. While his actions were heroic, its not out of the ordinary. If you love someone, you will do anything for them.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-22-2012, 11:30 PM
I came 3rd in my battalion in a shooting competition with SLR rifles. I also beat everyone from another Batalion back in the day (early 1990s). I could also make a tight grouping with an M16 and proficient with the M60.

I also realised that there is no place for them outside of a warzone.

Really!?? No place at all!!
So shooting should only be taught to soldiers upon entry into military service?
Wouldnt that make for an unarmed and untrained citizenry that would fair badly in fighting any future conflicts?
I wonder why you'd desire that?
Tough luck pedro, we are armed and many of us are highly skilled in shooting. I've outshot even every military person that I've ever shot against including both my older brothers that were damn splendid shots themselves even well before military training! -Tyr

Shadow
07-23-2012, 12:10 AM

No...it's to highlight a contrast from the last idiot in the media that left his four year old at the mercy of a gunman and ran for his life. Do you ever pay attenton to what's being talked about on the board...or do you always just shoot your mouth off about things you have no clue about? Scratch that...I already know the answer actually.:rolleyes:

07-23-2012, 01:33 AM
What man wouldnt take a bullet for the woman he loves? Heck, many a man would take a bullet for a stranger. Not nearly as many, but still.

Kathianne
07-23-2012, 05:38 AM
What man wouldnt take a bullet for the woman he loves? Heck, many a man would take a bullet for a stranger. Not nearly as many, but still.

There was the idiot that left his crying 4 month old alone while he ran. He most definitely was the exception.

Indeed it seems that of the 12 killed, 3 at least, were protecting their girlfriends. They died doing what most men are genetically predisposed to:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/the_victims_boyfriends_saved_their_lAZ3ZF4nbDsTyPk eAAkZsM

THE VICTIMS: Real movie heroes saved their sweethearts during Colo. ambush
They took bullets for their beloveds.

Three young men are being hailed as heroes for their old-fashioned chivalry and courage under fire in saving the lives of their girlfriends.

While using their bodies as shields, Matt McQuinn, 27, Jonathan Blunk, 26, and Alex Teves, 24, were killed in the worst mass shooting in US history.

Nine others were also murdered when deranged gunman James Holmes unloaded a fusillade of bullets into the packed Century 16 theater early Friday in Aurora, Colo.

McQuinn dived in front of his girlfriend, Samantha Yowler, also 27, when the gunfire erupted. She was shot in the knee. McQuinn was fatally struck three times.

<!-- context: middle --> Jonathan Blunk threw his date, Jansen Young, 21, to the floor, pushing her under the seat.
“Stay down!” he told her, moments before he was shot to death.

“He took a bullet for me,” Young told NBC’s “Today” show.

“He always talked about if he were going to die, he wanted to die a hero,” Blunk’s estranged wife, Chantel Blunk, told NBC News.

Teves, of Phoenix, used his body to cover girlfriend Amanda Lindgren, Teves’ grandmother Rae Iacovelli told The Post.

“He shielded her. He got down on the floor and covered her up,” said Iacovelli, who lives in Barneget, NJ. “She was pulled out from under him. I don’t know who pulled her out.”

Teves, born in Verona, NJ, and raised in Phoenix, had just finished graduate school in Denver. He turned 24 a month ago and had been dating Lindgren for just over a year.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/the_victims_boyfriends_saved_their_lAZ3ZF4nbDsTyPk eAAkZsM#ixzz21ROmr1H9

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Exactly how do I act like it is something new? Im not a Brit, stuffy or otherwise.
Had I been there with a weapon I would have shot that bastard in the chest and if upon seeing that having no effect from my 45 cal Kimber I would have went for head shots, much harder but I shoot well enough to deliver(although extremely hard in a darkened theater room). Archery was my first love, rifle my second but as a teenager and young man the pistol overtook both and I practiced 1 or 2 days a week for decades on pistol shooting. I make no claim to being the best at it but I shoot above expert because my older brother shoots certified expert and I trounce him with perfect ease every time we do a little competetion. So yes I would have done that and almost certainly more. Why would I hide there with a gun and not fire back? That would be insanity considering he was spraying the room with bullets! Hell, I'd be taking no more chance by firing back than by hiding behind things that can not adequately shield from a bullet!

disclaimer: My above post is not an admission/announcement of my being a legal conceal carry permit holder. Maybe I am , maybe I am not. That's to be found out for sure only one way! I've told everybody I know that conceal carry to only let those they trust with their life know that they conceal carry! For the odd chance that somebody may know and decide to shoot you in the head first to get rid of the REAL threat before they start their rampage! Its good advice to all conceal carry holders IMHO.--Tyr

Another thread that gabby shoots out a load of shat on and then departs for the hills from.
I ask again Gabby , why wasnt the guys actions heroic as I stated.???-Tyr

red state
07-23-2012, 07:29 PM
[/B]

Really!?? No place at all!!
So shooting should only be taught to soldiers upon entry into military service?
Wouldnt that make for an unarmed and untrained citizenry that would fair badly in fighting any future conflicts?
I wonder why you'd desire that?
Tough luck pedro, we are armed and many of us are highly skilled in shooting. I've outshot even every military person that I've ever shot against including both my older brothers that were damn splendid shots themselves even well before military training! -Tyr

Well, until jaFART said that about citizens having no business with guns, I was going to say that you needed to calm down cuz jaFART did say that he was being sarcastic. If he believes that we should be disarmed and not simply voicing his opinion about guns outside of a warzone, he is indeed a threat to my God given rights and a breech within my security.

Look, I'm not that good with a pistol....never have been, never will be; but I would bet $100 that I can hit a post at five paces....especially from a lower position shooting upwards. One of the guys in the theater was almost within touching distance and talked about feeling the empty shells fall all over him as the shooter sprayed everyone. I assume the shooter thought the guy was dead. At any rate, that guy could have tackled the creep or, if he had been carrying (legal or not) could have taken him out because body armor is less effective from below as it overlaps like a shingle on a house. As for TYR being a great shot and still not being able to take the guy out (say with a smaller conceal weapon such as a 32 or even a 9) He still would be able to effect the shooter if not take him out from a head shot. The impact wouldn't have killed him but I'll bet it would have disoriented him or knocked him out. He was just about out anyway because pot or whatever he was on had him spiraling down, Down, DOWN (as we saw in the courtroom).

Speaking of drugs, and I believe the guy was a pot smoker, why are the lil' libbie loser lemmings shouting GUN CONTROL and not pot control. Why ban one and not the other. Even if the guy wasn't on drugs of any kind....we KNOW that a HUGE part of our crime problem is dope-heads breaking into folks' house (even the dope-heads own family members). We also know that if they are desperate enough, they'll knock you in the head for a $25 fix. They will also hook girls on the junk to make slaves out of them. So, am I to understand that lil' libbie loser lemmings are FOR more crime the abuse of young women and the destruction of EVERYONE around and associated with the abuse of drugs but against a man protecting himself and his loved ones (with the only heroic act at his disposal is to act as a body shield?! AND if he does this heroic act, he's not anything but a someone acting naturally. Well, I don't know if it is something they could poll but I'd bet another $100 that lil' libbie loser's natural reaction is to RUN, Run, run...forgetting all about the HO they brought to the movies. They probably wouldn't even pay for her ticket....pretty pathetic!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Well, until jaFART said that about citizens having no business with guns, I was going to say that you needed to calm down cuz jaFART did say that he was being sarcastic. If he believes that we should be disarmed and not simply voicing his opinion about guns outside of a warzone, he is indeed a threat to my God given rights and a breech within my security.

Look, I'm not that good with a pistol....never have been, never will be; but I would bet $100 that I can hit a post at five paces....especially from a lower position shooting upwards. One of the guys in the theater was almost within touching distance and talked about feeling the empty shells fall all over him as the shooter sprayed everyone. I assume the shooter thought the guy was dead. At any rate, that guy could have tackled the creep or, if he had been carrying (legal or not) could have taken him out because body armor is less effective from below as it overlaps like a shingle on a house. As for TYR being a great shot and still not being able to take the guy out (say with a smaller conceal weapon such as a 32 or even a 9) He still would be able to effect the shooter if not take him out from a head shot. The impact wouldn't have killed him but I'll bet it would have disoriented him or knocked him out. He was just about out anyway because pot or whatever he was on had him spiraling down, Down, DOWN (as we saw in the courtroom).

Speaking of drugs, and I believe the guy was a pot smoker, why are the lil' libbie loser lemmings shouting GUN CONTROL and not pot control. Why ban one and not the other. Even if the guy wasn't on drugs of any kind....we KNOW that a HUGE part of our crime problem is dope-heads breaking into folks' house (even the dope-heads own family members). We also know that if they are desperate enough, they'll knock you in the head for a $25 fix. They will also hook girls on the junk to make slaves out of them. So, am I to understand that lil' libbie loser lemmings are FOR more crime the abuse of young women and the destruction of EVERYONE around and associated with the abuse of drugs but against a man protecting himself and his loved ones (with the only heroic act at his disposal is to act as a body shield?! AND if he does this heroic act, he's not anything but a someone acting naturally. Well, I don't know if it is something they could poll but I'd bet another $100 that lil' libbie loser's natural reaction is to RUN, Run, run...forgetting all about the HO they brought to the movies. They probably wouldn't even pay for her ticket....pretty pathetic!

Well said my friend. JAZZY isnt really much of a threat to our 2nd amendment rights because he is a muslim living in Australia I believe. Of course being a muslim he may or may not be a threat . It depends on how far down his little jihadi trigger is buried IMHO! He certainly does not support our Constitution and our ideals of freedom of religion, because no true muslim supports that... Their relgion demands/commands the destruction of all other religions!-Tyr

logroller
07-23-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm so sick of this tragedy already-- it just sucks-- there is no goodness. Take this story, spun to show this guy's a hero right, he saved a life-- but he's also a victim. You know what else, he left two children in his world without a father. That's right; what was curiously left out of the op is the fact he had an estranged wife and two kids. So call me a coward, but I'd of beat tracks ASAP because I'm better off alive to my kids than protecting some chick I'd been dating for 9 months.

red state
07-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Tyr-Ziu Saxnot Wrote:

Well said my friend. JAZZY isnt really much of a threat to our 2nd amendment rights because he is a muslim living in Australia I believe. Of course being a muslim he may or may not be a threat . It depends on how far down his little jihadi trigger is buried IMHO! He certainly does not support our Constitution and our ideals of freedom of religion, because no true muslim supports that...

Their relgion demands/commands the destruction of all other religions!-Tyr

Same goes for liberals my friend...same goes for liberals.

red state
07-23-2012, 11:27 PM
RED STATE Wrote:
"...natural reaction is to RUN, Run, run...forgetting all about the HO they brought to the movies."

Tye, I told you! At least a little honest remains in this one. There is some logic in this but, as a Southerner, my honor and responsibility demands that I protect whomever has intrusted me with their life while dating. I definitely wouldn't want my daughters dating any other type guy than a good ole boy. Of course, they can't date till their 18 and even then, they'll have their pink 32 packed for when some dope-head liberal who thinks he's Buzz Lightyear or something from coming in and shooting the place up.

Look, we do not know the full story and now that the guy is dead, we have no way of knowing his story. Until then, we should at least respect the dead. Still, he was honorable whether he was smart or not. What if he was truly in love? What if his wife had left him because of no fault of his own or perhaps he discovered that they weren't his kids and he decided to start a new life. Nine months is a long time in my opinion....long enough to have done the honorable thing so I don't think she was simply some chick. Besides, in most cases, the estranged wife had probably moved on and is also serious with someone who is a better dad (should he have been a bad father). He was, after all with his new life and he probably saw his children on as regular a basis as possible...unless they didn't want to see him. I don't even know how old they were. Most times, kids from divorced parents don't see their father except for weekends....every other month or once a month so he was virtually gone from their lives anyway. I do hope he left them with a great nest egg but with todays plans, he probably had a measly $90,000.oo - 120+ k on average.

In my book, he was a hero and that will mean quite a lot to those kids if people continue to remain respectful. He's dead for pete's sake. Who knows, it may be the best memory the kids will ever have of him...'my dad the HERO'.

I just wish that he (or someone...ANYONE....EVERYONE) at the theater that night had brought their gun. A chance is better than NO chance and A chance could have possibly saved his life, his new love's life and future memories with his kids.

logroller
07-24-2012, 04:09 AM
RED STATE Wrote:
"...natural reaction is to RUN, Run, run...forgetting all about the HO they brought to the movies."

Tye, I told you! At least a little honest remains in this one. There is some logic in this but, as a Southerner, my honor and responsibility demands that I protect whomever has intrusted me with their life while dating. I definitely wouldn't want my daughters dating any other type guy than a good ole boy. Of course, they can't date till their 18 and even then, they'll have their pink 32 packed for when some dope-head liberal who thinks he's Buzz Lightyear or something from coming in and shooting the place up.

Look, we do not know the full story and now that the guy is dead, we have no way of knowing his story. Until then, we should at least respect the dead. Still, he was honorable whether he was smart or not. What if he was truly in love? What if his wife had left him because of no fault of his own or perhaps he discovered that they weren't his kids and he decided to start a new life. Nine months is a long time in my opinion....long enough to have done the honorable thing so I don't think she was simply some chick. Besides, in most cases, the estranged wife had probably moved on and is also serious with someone who is a better dad (should he have been a bad father). He was, after all with his new life and he probably saw his children on as regular a basis as possible...unless they didn't want to see him. I don't even know how old they were. Most times, kids from divorced parents don't see their father except for weekends....every other month or once a month so he was virtually gone from their lives anyway. I do hope he left them with a great nest egg but with todays plans, he probably had a measly $90,000.oo - 120+ k on average.

In my book, he was a hero and that will mean quite a lot to those kids if people continue to remain respectful. He's dead for pete's sake. Who knows, it may be the best memory the kids will ever have of him...'my dad the HERO'.
Saved the best memory for last I guess.
I may not be from the south, but I stand by my vow, made before God, to honor and protect my wife (our family) through good times and bad, 'til death do us part. I pray I live long enough to give my daughters' hands to men who shall take that same vow and commit their life to its service. If God shall not grant me that, I trust my own demonstration of that commitment shall be their guiding light though Him. Though others, whom I may care for deeply, may come into my life, I shall not allow myself to be swayed by transient causes of mortal necessity. That others may violate their vows, saying so does not disrespect the dead; for such is for the Lord to deliver, not mortal men. The only respect mortal man need show the dead is a decent burial, not reverence for their death, but rather how and for whom they themselves a saved--Showing reverence for the eternal life delivered unto true believers who honor the commitments made to our creator in fulfillment of His commandments-- and that is all I can wish anyone to be known or remembered for, including myself. Not how I died, who I saved or what money I left.

It's easy to take a life-- bowed up, looking down the sights of a gun-- death is deliverable, but this is merely mortal life. Just as this man sacrificing himself saved only a mortal life. The inventor of seatbelts is a greater hero if, by way of mortal lives saved, we are to give countenance to acts of heroism. I see this as the proverbial flaw of giving a man a fish; they live another day, but you fail to show them how to live.
So yeah-- Run run run...to salvation.

07-25-2012, 02:19 AM
There was the idiot that left his crying 4 month old alone while he ran. He most definitely was the exception.

Indeed it seems that of the 12 killed, 3 at least, were protecting their girlfriends. They died doing what most men are genetically predisposed to:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/the_victims_boyfriends_saved_their_lAZ3ZF4nbDsTyPk eAAkZsM

I hadnt heard about the idiot leaving his crying 4 month old. That really angers me.

I still cant comprehend why people had babies and little children at a midnight showing of Batman. It's a violent movie. Im sure it's good, but we know it's violent, why expose them to the violence at such a young age?

And then to run out on them when violence actually occurs? Im glad that the 4 month old probably wont remember this event. I hope that father lives with it every day for the rest of his life.

07-25-2012, 02:21 AM
I'm so sick of this tragedy already-- it just sucks-- there is no goodness. Take this story, spun to show this guy's a hero right, he saved a life-- but he's also a victim. You know what else, he left two children in his world without a father. That's right; what was curiously left out of the op is the fact he had an estranged wife and two kids. So call me a coward, but I'd of beat tracks ASAP because I'm better off alive to my kids than protecting some chick I'd been dating for 9 months.

No one has to be a victim if they choose not to accept victimhood.

As for the man, perhaps, sounds like his children already dont have a father. I dont understand how a man can walk out on his family.

taft2012
07-25-2012, 06:33 AM
I would like to think that in situations like this I would grab my woman and use her to shield me from the bullets.

However, knowing myself, instinctively I would leap in front of the bullets and use my body to protect her.

I hate myself for crap like that.

True story: Riding a crowded subway one afternoon. All the seats are taken by women, who universally stare daggers into men if they dare sit down while a woman is standing.

Then a *very* pregnant woman gets onto the train. "Now this is going to be interesting" I tell myself. Guess what? Not one of those cows lifted their ample butts to allow this pregnant lady to sit down. They all diverted their eyes to the floor and pretended not to see her. Meanwhile, if there had been a single man sitting down every one of those eyes would have been shooting daggers at hime

I chuckled, and thought of saying something myself. However, I know the pregnant woman, if the situation was reversed and she wasn't pregnant and sitting down... she wouldn't give her seat up to a pregnant woman either.

Personally, I don't mind standing because I spend a lot of the day sitting at a desk. But I do make it a point to sit down on the subway whenever I can... and NOT get up. Well, I should say "NOT get up" based on sex alone. I will get up for the elderly and infirm.