PDA

View Full Version : A first? Gunships fire on Syrian capital..

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-22-2012, 01:11 PM
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/22/12883923-a-first-helicopter-gunships-bombard-syrian-capital?lite

An image grab taken from a video uploaded on YouTube on Sunday shows smoke billowing a neighborhood in Damascus.
By NBC News staff and wire services
Helicopter gunships bombarded several districts of Syria's capital in an effort to drive out insurgents, as rebels battled President Bashar Assad's forces near the main intelligence base in the northern city of Aleppo on Sunday, witnesses said.

"Helicopters are fiercely shelling the northern quarter of Barzeh with rockets and machine guns," an NBC News contact in Damascus said. "They're flying over my head. The shelling is the first of [its] kind ever witnessed in Damascus."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Residents and opposition activists told Reuters that Syria's elite Fourth Division troops were besieging the northern neighborhood of Barzeh, one of three northern areas hit by helicopter fire. Rebels were also driven from Mezze, the diplomatic district of Damascus, they said.

The eye-witness report came even as Syrian state television quoted a media source denying that helicopters had fired on the capital. "The situation in Damascus is normal, but the security forces are pursuing the remnants of the terrorists in some streets," it said.

The fourth division is run by Assad's younger brother, Maher Assad, 41, who is widely seen as the muscle maintaining the Assad family's four decades of Alawite minority rule.

UN extends Syria observer mission as fighting continues

His role has become more crucial since Assad's defense and intelligence ministers, a top general and his powerful brother-in-law were killed by the bomb on Wednesday, part of a "Damascus volcano" by rebels seeking to turn the tables in a revolt inspired by Arab Spring uprisings in Tunisia, Libya and Egypt.

Assad has not spoken in public since the bombing. Diplomats and opposition sources said government forces were focusing on strategic centers, with one Western diplomat comparing Assad to a doctor "abandoning the patient's limbs to save the organs."

London School of Economics Professor Fawaz Gerges discusses what we know about the bomber who killed seven, including five Israeli tourists and himself, then analyzes whether the fall of Syria's President Assad is close.
Fighting also raged in parts of Aleppo -- the country's main commercial and industrial hub -- and in Deir al-Zor on the Euprhates river, the largest city in the east.

Death toll hits 19,000
The news of the worsening violence came as an activist group said the death toll had hit more than 19,000 since anti-Assad protests slid into violent clashes in March 2011.

Good. Better the dictator stays in power than the Islamist takeover that is planned and being fought for now.
We win, if a dictator stays in power because the Islamists are worse when they gain control. And that is what the fighting is truly about IMHO. Having to choose the lesser of two evils is not a good thing but sometimes its a choice one has to make!--Tyr

jafar00
07-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Good. Better the dictator stays in power than the Islamist takeover that is planned and being fought for now.
We win, if a dictator stays in power because the Islamists are worse when they gain control. And that is what the fighting is truly about IMHO. Having to choose the lesser of two evils is not a good thing but sometimes its a choice one has to make!--Tyr

Do you realise that by lending your support to such a tyrant, that the blood of 19,000+ innocent people is on your hands too? You are also siding with Russia and China against your own country.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Do you realise that by lending your support to such a tyrant, that the blood of 19,000+ innocent people is on your hands too? You are also siding with Russia and China against your own country.

First, what support have I given other than my wishes.
Secondly, I am siding with my country and Constitution rather than with my corrupt president and his corrupt regime that supports Islamic exspansion to create a Caliphate there.. Which obviously you would favor so excuse me if I say you are quite full of shat with your silly accusations!-Tyr

Gator Monroe
07-22-2012, 09:23 PM
More Arabs have died at the hands of Syrian Government over last year and a half than have died at the hands of Israeli Defense Forces in 30 years.

gabosaurus
07-22-2012, 09:31 PM
As long as it is Syrians fighting Syrians, I wish them a long and treacherous confrontation. The U.S. should not intervene under ANY circumstances.

jafar00
07-22-2012, 09:32 PM
First, what support have I given other than my wishes.
Secondly, I am siding with my country and Constitution rather than with my corrupt president and his corrupt regime that supports Islamic exspansion to create a Caliphate there.. Which obviously you would favor so excuse me if I say you are quite full of shat with your silly accusations!-Tyr

I Just put 2 and 2 together. You'd like the murderous tyrant to stay in power and so would the Russians and Chinese. Are the Commies your friend now?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-22-2012, 09:37 PM
As long as it is Syrians fighting Syrians, I wish them a long and treacherous confrontation. The U.S. should not intervene under ANY circumstances.

Too late, havent you heard obama has already taken side with the rebels . Just like he did everywhere except when the rebels stood up against an Islamic theocracy=Iran. There he refused any help of any kind. Isnt that strange the only arab spring action he chose not to support and it the only one that was against an Islamic government!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you even add two and two or is that too damn complex for ya?-Tyr

07-23-2012, 01:05 AM

One tyrant for another tyrant isnt really going to change Syria.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-23-2012, 06:45 PM
I Just put 2 and 2 together. You'd like the murderous tyrant to stay in power and so would the Russians and Chinese. Are the Commies your friend now?

Exchanging one tyrant for a group of religious tyrants isnt a good thing. You think it is because that group will be Islamic. I thnk the oposite is true so you attempt to paint me as siding with communists , China and Russia !
I side with our Constitution and currently obama sides against it and with muslims. -Tyr

jimnyc
07-23-2012, 06:58 PM

I agree. Genocide and mass killings of innocent citizens is no problem of ours or anyone else in the international community. Let the people fight the army and that's their problem. And like I referred to earlier, it makes for lots of great videos going viral with all the carnage and bloodshed to the women and children.

logroller
07-23-2012, 07:06 PM
I agree. Genocide and mass killings of innocent citizens is no problem of ours or anyone else in the international community. Let the people fight the army and that's their problem. And like I referred to earlier, it makes for lots of great videos going viral with all the carnage and bloodshed to the women and children.
:puke: imagine if france would have done nothing to assist our revolution.

jimnyc
07-23-2012, 07:14 PM
:puke: imagine if france would have done nothing to assist our revolution.

Different day, different dollar, different weaponry. When a government can utilize it's armed forces to kill their own citizens, I'm not thrilled with the international community turning a blind eye to the situation.

fj1200
07-24-2012, 11:13 AM
I side with our Constitution and currently obama sides against it and with muslims. -Tyr

So what exactly is our Constitution's position on this?

aboutime
07-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Let them kill each other. We shouldn't say anything. Just wait till they feel strong enough to come here..UNOPPOSED by our growing Gay Military, and they can all sing YMCA as they launch their BATMAN movie style attacks, anywhere in this country. As long as it doesn't hurt the bottom line for Hollywood, or the number of DOUBLE, even TRIPLE votes Obama gets from the soon to be GASED, Dead Americans in ANYTOWN U.S.A.

Why should any of us worry about such things? They are thousands of miles away, across two oceans.
Who cares? Just don't vote twice for American Idol winners.

jafar00
07-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Let them kill each other. We shouldn't say anything. Just wait till they feel strong enough to come here..UNOPPOSED by our growing Gay Military, and they can all sing YMCA as they launch their BATMAN movie style attacks, anywhere in this country. As long as it doesn't hurt the bottom line for Hollywood, or the number of DOUBLE, even TRIPLE votes Obama gets from the soon to be GASED, Dead Americans in ANYTOWN U.S.A.

Why should any of us worry about such things? They are thousands of miles away, across two oceans.
Who cares? Just don't vote twice for American Idol winners.

Please don't tell me you just blamed the recent Batman movie attack on Muslims.