PDA

View Full Version : California parents take over failing school.

Thunderknuckles
07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/23/us-usa-education-trigger-idUSBRE86M13V20120723
California is one a few states that have a parent trigger law that allows parents to band together and force change at a failing school. They can fire teachers and administrators and even go so far as turning the public school into a privately funded charter school which is exactly what happened in the posted article.

On the surface, I support the idea of giving parents this level of power when schools in their communities fail to educate their children.
I have been able to digest any negative ramifications as this is the first time that I know of where it has been successfully done.
I'd like to get the board's take on this especially those in the field of education. Also, do any of you know of any other examples where this was successfully carried out?

fj1200
07-23-2012, 02:15 PM
God speed. We need to break the government monopoly on public education.

Kathianne
07-23-2012, 05:59 PM
God speed. We need to break the government monopoly on public education.

I agree. I would be concerned though that a school in a largely impoverished area, mostly minority, in this case apparently Hispanic, will have parents able to deal effectively with administrators and teachers. If the 'company' or 'private enterprise' has control, it may be workable. Problem is though, when 'control' is wrested once there tends to be efforts to do so again.

grannyhawkins
07-23-2012, 07:50 PM
I don't know so much about schools or schoolin, but if somethins not workin, somebody's got to do somethin. One of my brothers lives in what was once a nice neighborhood. The homeowners association lost control and the sheriffs can't do anything unless they're aware. The neighbors have gotten together and have run the sheriffs ragged responding and slowly, they are taking back control and the sheriffs are on their side, even though they have a whole lot more paperwork. Average people can make a difference, but it takes effort.

SassyLady
07-24-2012, 12:32 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/23/us-usa-education-trigger-idUSBRE86M13V20120723
California is one a few states that have a parent trigger law that allows parents to band together and force change at a failing school. They can fire teachers and administrators and even go so far as turning the public school into a privately funded charter school which is exactly what happened in the posted article.

On the surface, I support the idea of giving parents this level of power when schools in their communities fail to educate their children.
I have been able to digest any negative ramifications as this is the first time that I know of where it has been successfully done.
I'd like to get the board's take on this especially those in the field of education. Also, do any of you know of any other examples where this was successfully carried out?

Schools and teachers are always wanting more parent involvement. Guess this could be the end result. I'm all in favor of turning it into a charter school if the right team is found to run the place. My granddaughter attends one of the highest ranking charter schools in the nation. It's run as a business enterprise with the bottom line, or ROI, having every graduating student accepted into colleges and universities by the time they complete the 11th grade. The teachers are not in a union and they are usually just an average joe/jane who happens to be an expert in the field they teach.

My granddaughter is 13 and has already had two years of Latin and one year of Chinese. She is in 8th grade and it's the first year of high school at this place because she will have all credits she needs to be accepted into college by the time she finishes 11th grade. The school encourages the kids to do a year of internship or foreign exchange for their 12th year.

The standards are high and she has to requalify each year in order to stay in the school.

Kathianne
07-24-2012, 04:45 AM
I don't know so much about schools or schoolin, but if somethins not workin, somebody's got to do somethin. One of my brothers lives in what was once a nice neighborhood. The homeowners association lost control and the sheriffs can't do anything unless they're aware. The neighbors have gotten together and have run the sheriffs ragged responding and slowly, they are taking back control and the sheriffs are on their side, even though they have a whole lot more paperwork. Average people can make a difference, but it takes effort.

Actually, that type of approach might work better in a school like this, charter or not. Come up with a plan of 'expected behaviors' of students, parents, teachers, administrators, and staff. To undo the problems in problem schools, one needs to address the 'behaviors.' Dress is part and the easiest to address. Then there are hallway/passing periods behaviors. Classroom behaviors for students, teachers, and any additional staff. There are library, music, art, PE, and lunchroom behaviors. Rules of interaction: common courtesy, keeping hands to oneself, etc. Until the majority of each subgroup agrees to how things should 'look' it's pretty darn hard to get rules in place or enforced.

Once the 'plan' is agreed to, get volunteers of parents or community to serve as 'volunteer staff' for positions such as crossing guards, custodians (if unions aren't an issue), lunchroom/PE/library/playground monitors-with clear guidelines of expected behaviors and the plan for corrective actions if needed. The increased number of adults, all willing to accept the plan and their role in it, let's the students understand a 'united' front.

There is always a need for xeroxing, assembling packets, making filing folders, putting up or down bulletin boards. Teachers use planning periods for these things, instead have 'resource periods' instead of planning. In most schools you'd find that teachers could then be available to help students one on one or in small groups with academic problems. A classroom teacher could direct a child having problems with reading or math to go to room 102 during 2nd period to get help. This is especially effective for new students, (often found in 'impoverished' neighborhoods). If done correctly where students can go for help during study halls, lunch times, before and after school, the school depending on level will pick up from 40-110 minutes PER DAY per teacher of teaching time. That's alot! Indeed if all the teachers aren't needed each planning hour for 'resource' they could be utilized in library/computer areas to augment the regular teacher in monitoring and assisting students working on computers or research for projects.

red state
07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the thread, ThunderKnuckles! :clap:

I had no idea that CA was doing such things...perhaps there is hope for them yet. I have clients and friends who happen to be authors, reporters and political figures but I've not heard any of them (Sacramento and San Diego) talk about such things....only the bad and how it's getting worse.

This is not unlike what Mississippi and Louisiana have done and it has been an overwhelming success. The unions and many teachers do not like it BUT that is fine. We all know why they don't like it. Our children are what counts and in our area, the property taxes go (almost exclusively) to the school system...and that make US the boss (as it should be).

With CA going the RIGHT way, hopefully they can also prevent the liberals from teaching perversions and get back to the basics. It was from certain teachings and the effects that children have on other children at an early age, that my wife and I home schooled until our kids were old enough to play sports. I see home schooling as the best route BUT not everyone has the time, funds and ability to do so. There are several families at our church who home schooled and they FAR exceed that which a public school student is able to accomplish. Most get full scholarships and in our case, they are truly extraordinary in classic literature as well as performing classical music. Thanks to homeschooling, our church has an orchestra that has blessed many. They bless us, not only in seeing their achievements but how they represent the community and our church through our sound room, sign language, Spanish and other attributes that is (in general) so different from that of a public school or even a private school student. As they receive a "CLASSICAL Education" that is much the same as our GREAT Founding Fathers were blessed with, languages are easy to achieve as Latin can quickly relate to the other European languages. This is by far better to learn at an early age rather than putting a condom on a cucumber!!!

I wish that we had continued to home school but that is simply another regret in life that can not be undone. I'm just glad that my kids attended my old school where they still say Yes-em', No-sir, Thank You and Thank the LORD. The ACLU has not invaded our territory...YET. I should say that liberalism has not RUINED our area (YET) and they may be in for quite a fight if and when they TRY!

God bless America and congrats to CA for actually trying to improve their awful situation!