PDA

View Full Version : BBC News Sally Ride, first American woman in space, dies

WiccanLiberal
07-23-2012, 05:44 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/sally-ride-dead/index.html

A true role model. She had four degrees including her doctorate in physics. Another victim of a devastating illness.

grannyhawkins
07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
She will be missed. What courage and determination and I'm pretty sure she had one hail of a ride why she was here.

Nell's Room
07-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Sad news indeed. RIP.

Noir
07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
and to add even more misery to the story -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/tumblr_m7n6yrQcF81qzoykzo1_500.png

jimnyc
07-24-2012, 12:02 PM
and to add even more misery to the story -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/tumblr_m7n6yrQcF81qzoykzo1_500.png

Is this to infer that one cannot honor, or refer to someone in memory, unless they agreed with them on all the issues? Would you prefer those against homosexuality also ignore homosexual individuals entirely? People can disagree in faiths and politics, and still have compassion in the long run.

Noir
07-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Is this to infer that one cannot honor, or refer to someone in memory, unless they agreed with them on all the issues? Would you prefer those against homosexuality also ignore homosexual individuals entirely? People can disagree in faiths and politics, and still have compassion in the long run.

'We're sorry to hear of your partners death, but not sorry that you will not receive the support that a hetrosexal partner would have.' Such compassion...

jimnyc
07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
'We're sorry to hear of your partners death, but not sorry that you will not receive the support that a hetrosexal partner would have.' Such compassion...

I suppose it's much more compassionate to ignore those you disagree with and make believe they don't exist, as opposed to recognizing that they can still be good people outside of the areas you simply disagree on? That's the attitude of homosexuality today, and why there is such a disconnect, and why people get turned off. It's like a homosexual saying "legalize gay marriage or don't acknowledge my existence".

Thunderknuckles
07-24-2012, 02:09 PM
You know gays and lesbians are just overjoyed to find out Sally switched teams. Never miss a chance to politicize an issue.
You can pull the compassion sarcasm out on some other poor lesbian couple. I don't think anyone will be shedding tears over the fact that Tam O'Shaughnessy will not be receiving federal support.

Noir
07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
You know gays and lesbians are just overjoyed to find out Sally switched teams. Never miss a chance to politicize an issue.
You can pull the compassion sarcasm out on some other poor lesbian couple. I don't think anyone will be shedding tears over the fact that Tam O'Shaughnessy will not be receiving federal support.

Probably, i certainly won't be shedding tears, but i'll be sharing cynical thoughts. The issue itself is politicised by nature, not intent, indeed the whole purpose of the gay rights movement is to depoliticise the issue by making it a non-issue, in the same way that other civil rights that have been granted in the past are now non-issues.

aboutime
07-24-2012, 03:02 PM
I suppose it's much more compassionate to ignore those you disagree with and make believe they don't exist, as opposed to recognizing that they can still be good people outside of the areas you simply disagree on? That's the attitude of homosexuality today, and why there is such a disconnect, and why people get turned off. It's like a homosexual saying "legalize gay marriage or don't acknowledge my existence".

jimnyc. That compassion, caring and humanity would go much further to avoid all of the noise, and arguments if......IF, the Gays and Lesbians would just go about their lives, and business without intentionally trying to endlessly draw the Un-needed attention many seem to crave.

They should do as they often tell everyone else when the subject comes up, and just go on with their lives in Private, and they should also avoid trying to jam whatever they declare as their differences, down everyone else's throats.

Most Americans who have the capacity to think on their own. Probably do not care what Gays and Lesbians do, brag about, or deny in any way.
Thus...the Gays and Lesbians...in my opinion only...would probably succeed with their intentions if they changed their attitudes in Demanding that everyone ACCEPT them.
That's never gonna happen. And they should be the first to realize, and accept such facts. It would make their lives much more comfortable by NOT trying to attract attention. Much like the expression "Leave a Sleeping Dog Lie."

fj1200
07-24-2012, 10:57 PM
.....IF, the Gays and Lesbians would just go about their lives, and business without intentionally trying to endlessly draw the Un-needed attention many seem to crave.

As long as you're content in the state preferencing YOUR relationships over those that others may have.