PDA

View Full Version : Sweet pictures from a hundred + years ago!

jimnyc
07-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Tons of awesome pictures from the late 1800's into the early 1900's.

http://podakuni.livejournal.com/681121.html

Anton Chigurh
07-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Unbelievable stuff...

jimnyc
07-24-2012, 11:24 AM
This one is funny, Atlantic City in 1904 at the beach. Notice there is no skin showing. Looks like not even a single man in the massive crowd is without a shirt. Take that same picture today and you'll have trouble finding the clothing!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/podakuni/Historical/story_034.jpg

fj1200
07-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Tons of awesome pictures from the late 1800's into the early 1900's.

http://podakuni.livejournal.com/681121.html

Cool, surprised at the resolution in those.

Anton Chigurh
07-24-2012, 11:37 AM
I hoped I would see the Titanic.... And I think I do - I think the caption is inaccurate here. The ship nearest the cammer appears to be the Olympic, and the one in the foreground appears to be the Titanic. You can tell them apart by the promenade deck, the Titanic's is enclosed, the Olympic's, not.

http://usmessageboards.com/myimagehost/?di=F5OJ

Noir
07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
I hoped I would see the Titanic.... And I think I do - I think the caption is inaccurate here. The ship nearest the cammer appears to be the Olympic, and the one in the foreground appears to be the Titanic. You can tell them apart by the promenade deck, the Titanic's is enclosed, the Olympic's, not.

The ship in the foreground is not the Titanic, as smoke is coming from all four of its funnels, when the Titanic only had three operational funnels.
Also the picture was taken in New York, which the Titanic never reached.

Anton Chigurh
07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
The ship in the foreground is not the Titanic, as smoke is coming from all four of its funnels, when the Titanic only had three operational funnels.
Also the picture was taken in New York, which the Titanic never reached.The "dummy funnel" on the Olympic and Titanic was also functional as a vent for many items on the ship - including secondary, smaller boilers, but not the mains. Therefore seeing smoke coming out of the dummy funnel isn't unusual.

This image had to be taken in Belfast, the only place the two ships were ever together. Olympic is there because she dropped a prop, gonna get drydocked to replace - and Titanic is there taking on passengers and supplies. This is why she is so far away, too big to bring any closer, and this is why we see the passenger tender leaving.

The year and location both have to be wrong.

Edit to add: The dummy funnel on these ships was also the fire vent, and Titanic had a fire in coal bunker #5 the whole time she was operating.

Anton Chigurh
07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Titanic was unique in being the only large liner afloat with a enclosed promenade deck.

ringotuna
11-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Also the picture was taken in New York, which the Titanic never reached.

I believe you are correct. The tug boat in the bottom right corner is of the Vierow Towing Line, registered in New York during the period.

Little-Acorn
11-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Titanic had a fire in coal bunker #5 the whole time she was operating.

Can that be documented?

I had heard this story (Paul Harvey), and that the real reason the Titanic was going so fast when it met the iceberg, was because of this coal-bunker fire. The info was kept from the passengers, naturally, so the story goes.

Coal bunker fires were not unusual in those days. The main way to fight them was to go to full speed so the engines used a lot of fuel, and simply keep shovelling coal from the hot bunker into the engines until you got to the burning section, shovel that in too, and bingo, problem was gone.

They also went to high speed to get to New York sooner, where they had firefighting equipment that could douse the ignited coal. Coal fires in a huge mass of coal, were VERY difficult to put out.

"The whole time it was operating"?

IIRC, Titanic had a short voyage before setting out on its tranatlantic trip, stopping at a few ports in England. Was this fire going even then?

11-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Beautiful pictures.