PDA

View Full Version : Dumbass at the Olympics

jimnyc
07-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Or shall I say racist. She used twitter and sent out this comment:

"with so many Africans in Greece, at least the West Nile mosquitos will be eating food from their own home."

If posted in our humor section below, I'd even get a little giggle. To post for the entire world to see as you're about to be on the biggest stage in the world - dumb.

Greece's triple-jump champion was expelled from the Olympics after posting a tasteless tweet about Africans and the West Nile virus.

Hellenic Olympic Committee officials announced Voula Papachristou wouldn't travel to London after she tweeted a joke about African immigrants.

On Monday, the track athlete posted a tweet reading, "with so many Africans in Greece, at least the West Nile mosquitos will be eating food from their own home." The comments created an uproar on Greek social media. Papachristou didn't address the criticism on Twitter for two days.

Greece later announced it would place Papchristou "outside the Olympic team for statements contrary to the values and ideas of the Olympic movement."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/greek-athlete-expeled-olympics-racist-tweet-140602319--oly.html

fj1200
07-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Or shall I say racist. She used twitter and sent out this comment:

If posted in our humor section below, I'd even get a little giggle. To post for the entire world to see as you're about to be on the biggest stage in the world - dumb.

I can think of a "joke" thread where it would fit right in.

Noir
07-25-2012, 01:29 PM
The lesson is - if you're a racist, don't be racist publicly, do it privately and that's fine.

Maybe they should run tests along side the drug tests to see if any other athletes are racists, or maybe sexist, or homoist, etc etc.

fj1200
07-25-2012, 01:33 PM
^Bring on the thought police.

Noir
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
^Bring on the thought police.

Yes! Because the point of the games is not to find the best athlete, but rather, the best PC athlete.

aboutime
07-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Nobody should expect any of them to have BRAINS as well.

Anyone need an example for comparison, where Brains are not required to Jump, Run, or Hurdle? HOW BOUT this example:

MIKE TYSON???

Come to think of it. We could also use DebatePolicy too! How bout that gabby?

SassyLady
07-25-2012, 06:47 PM
The lesson is - if you're a racist, don't be racist publicly, do it privately and that's fine.

Maybe they should run tests along side the drug tests to see if any other athletes are racists, or maybe sexist, or homoist, etc etc.

or atheist?

jimnyc
07-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Yes! Because the point of the games is not to find the best athlete, but rather, the best PC athlete.

These people are athletes and the desire is to find the best athlete, yes - but they are also representing their respective countries. What they do and say is a reflection of their country. I don't care if it's Greece, Poland or the USA - they should respect the games and one another, and try not to embarrass their home country by doing stupid stuff.

jimnyc
07-25-2012, 06:52 PM

One can be a racist, or sexist or homosexual or whatever - without drawing attention to themselves or their team or their country. So no one is saying they can't be these things in addition to being great athletes, just that they better keep it in line for the duration of the Olympics which is an international event watched by untold millions and millions.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2012, 07:56 PM
I can think of a "joke" thread where it would fit right in.

Yep, a joke thread that twisted your panties up tighter than bark on a tree...-:laugh2:--Tyr

fj1200
07-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Yep, a joke thread...

Still living the false premise I see.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Still living the false premise I see.

Yep, still laughing at you and your arrogance too.-:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Say, why did you slip way from that thread? Did making fun of your bamboy sting that bad?:laugh2:-Tyr

fj1200
07-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Yep, still laughing at you and your arrogance too.-:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Say, why did you slip way from that thread? Did making fun of your bamboy sting that bad?:laugh2:-Tyr

What did I slip away from? Your ignorance shines in its own light. Now I remember, I was waiting for you to provide examples of my support for BO.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2012, 08:20 PM
What did I slip away from? Your ignorance shines in its own light. Now I remember, I was waiting for you to provide examples of my support for BO.

HAHA, you cleverly agreed with your hero often when he cleverly supported bamboy.
No need for me to look up old threads to give proof from , I have a good memory..
Besides Im not trying to prove anything.. While you came onto my friends thread to shat because you didnt like his topic. His topic was about BO and you took umbrage-- tough shit dude.. I too took a little umbrage and the bamboy jokes got you because you think every criticism of that ffing scum is racial. Which was my point and you just made it all over again in this thread when you tried again to call that thread criticising your little blackboy racist inspired..:laugh:
Thanks for proving it again...
You make the same mistake that your hero CH did.. I applaud your dedication to underestimation...--Tyr

Noir
07-25-2012, 09:58 PM
or atheist?

Well obviously an atheist could never win anyways, at least you'd think so given all those athletes that thank god for them winning, why would god let an atheist win over a person of faith?!!

Nell's Room
07-26-2012, 01:07 AM
It was definately a stupid thing to say, but I don't think she should have been dumped for it.

logroller
07-26-2012, 04:20 AM
It was definately a stupid thing to say, but I don't think she should have been dumped for it.
An Olympic athlete is not merely a private citizen-- they're an ambassador of sport and representative of country. If one's expressed opinions, (which is an action not merely an opinion), runs contrary to that representation, they can and should eliminate your representative role.
This from the IOC's mission. I have emphasized those points I feel were violated by this athlete's comments.

In detail the role of the IOC, according to the Olympic Charter, is:

To encourage and support the promotion of ethics in sport as well as education of youth through sport and to dedicate its efforts to ensuring that, in sport, the spirit of fair play prevails and violence is banned;
To encourage and support the organisation, development and coordination of sport and sports competitions;
To ensure the regular celebration of the Olympic Games;
To cooperate with the competent public or private organisations and authorities in the endeavour to place sport at the service of humanity and thereby to promote peace;
To take action in order to strengthen the unity and to protect the independence of the Olympic Movement;
To act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement;
To encourage and support the promotion of women in sport at all levels and in all structures with a view to implementing the principle of equality of men and women;
To lead the fight against doping in sport;
To encourage and support measures protecting the health of athletes;
To oppose any political or commercial abuse of sport and athletes;
To encourage and support the efforts of sports organisations and public authorities to provide for the social and professional future of athletes;
To encourage and support the development of sport for all;
To encourage and support a responsible concern for environmental issues, to promote sustainable development in sport and to require that the Olympic Games are held accordingly;
To promote a positive legacy from the Olympic Games to the host cities and host countries;
To encourage and support initiatives blending sport with culture and education;
To encourage and support the activities of the International Olympic Academy (IOA) and other institutions which dedicate themselves to Olympic education.

And to top it off, the athlete was Greek, where the Olympics originated--she should have been keenly aware of the values and ideals of Olympism and represented them better. Clearly she did not, and thus does not belong at the games.

Noir
07-26-2012, 04:53 AM
If anyone judges a country by one of it's citizens, then they're a fool, and ironically prejudice.

jimnyc
07-26-2012, 07:11 AM

If anyone judges a country by one of it's citizens, then they're a fool, and ironically prejudice.

These athletes were selected to REPRESENT and entire country. It's a privilege, not a right. With that privilege comes responsibility. To an extent, no different than professional athletes who have morality clauses in their contracts. Make the team look bad and you risk getting tossed. And in that example, you're only making a team or perhaps a city look bad, while in this case, perhaps the entire country comes under the spotlight for negativity, just because one athlete made an unsavory comment or 2.

And it's not that people will actually judge a country based on the comments, but judging the country on how they handle a situation. If they turned a blind eye, THEN perhaps it would reflect badly on the Olympic team and their countries Olympic committee.

I dare say those that don't fully understand why she was tossed, and don't fully understand why this would be treated harshly, don't fully understand the Olympics and what it represents. One of those is showing that all countries can peacefully coexist and work with one another. Using your platform as an athlete and 'celebrity' to make racial comments certainly doesn't fit that ideal.

fj1200
07-26-2012, 08:52 AM
HAHA, you clever...

Well that post personified your standard rhetoric. When you fail you present a strawman to cover for your inadequacies which presents more failure, it's a vicious circle in which you find yourself. I'll wait again for you to post my support for BO.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Well that post personified your standard rhetoric. When you fail you present a strawman to cover for your inadequacies which presents more failure, it's a vicious circle in which you find yourself. I'll wait again for you to post my support for BO.

As opposed to your vicious cycle of (dishonorable)altered quotes, outright lies and accusations of racial discrimination by those that are critical of the black guy you claim not to endorse or support.
My, my how clever you think you are and how stupid you imagine us to be..
You supported BO when you came onto that thread to shat it up because the OP and his topic were against BO.
THIS INNOCENT ACT YOU ATTEMPT TO PLAY FOOLS NOBODY UNLESS THEY SUPPORT YOU ALREADY FOR OTHER REASONS IMHO.
Wait at your leisure, I have nothing to prove that you havent already proven in this thread when you brought the subject up and yet again called racism on that thread SIMPLY BECAUSE it was critical of BO !
Go ahead, continue your vicious underestimation cycle just like your buddy CH did. I am so enjoying it myself.
Maybe you two are dumbazz twins seperated at birth..:laugh2:-Tyr

fj1200
07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
I'll wait again for you to post my support for BO.

Blither, blather strawman.

I didn't think you could. But nice try in attempting to lump everyone into one group; there are plenty of posters here that I consider to be intelligent.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I didn't think you could. But nice try in attempting to lump everyone into one group; there are plenty of posters here that I consider to be intelligent.

Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
Blither, blather strawman.

ANYTIME CH DOUBLE.
Thanks , for another example of your dishonorable quote tampering.^^^^^
Always nice when somebody like you isnt bright enough NOT to provide evidence of their true nature!-Tyr

fj1200
07-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks

I'm unsure why you think everyone on this board is so stupid that they can't figure out when your post is fixored in the age-old method that I have employed. I guess that's a better tactic for you than to try and prove that which cannot be proven.

SassyLady
07-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Does anyone remember the Black Power Salute and what happened to the athletes that used the podium of the Olympics to make a political statement?

The Black Power salute at the 1968 Olympics was a protest made by the African American athletesTommie Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommie_Smith) and John Carlos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carlos); the athletes made the raised fist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_fist) gesture at the Olympic Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Ol%C3%ADmpico_Universitario) in Mexico City. The Australian competitor, Peter Norman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Norman), who was neither Black nor American, also wore a human rights badge on his shirt during the ceremony to show his support to the two Americans. The event was one of the most overtly political statements[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute#cite_note-0) in the history of the modern Olympic Games. Tommie Smith stated in his autobiography,Silent Gesture, that the gesture was not a "Black Power (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Power)" salute, but in fact a "human rights salute".

snip....

International Olympic Committee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Olympic_Committee) (IOC) president, Avery Brundage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avery_Brundage), deemed it to be a domestic political statement, unfit for the apolitical, international forum the Olympic Games were supposed to be. In an immediate response to their actions, he ordered Smith and Carlos suspended from the U.S. team and banned from the Olympic Village. When the US Olympic Committee refused, Brundage threatened to ban the entire US track team. This threat led to the two athletes being expelled from the Games.
A spokesman for the IOC said it was "a deliberate and violent breach of the fundamental principles of the Olympic spirit."[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute#cite_note-BBC-2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute

taft2012
07-27-2012, 05:53 AM
An entire thread misses the point; What are *WE* missing by not having Voula Papchristou participate in the Olympics?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1121572.1343235326!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/deepteaser_300/flex-deep-voula-papachristou.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7rg7gxddk1qajzduo1_1280.jpg

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/voula-papachristou1.jpg

http://images.christianpost.com/full/54360/voula-papachristou.jpg?w=262

http://irateirishman.com/blog/irateirishman.com/httpdocs/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/voulapapachristou.jpg

darin
07-27-2012, 06:25 AM
still trying to figure out why its a 'racist' comment.

taft2012
07-27-2012, 06:35 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7rg7gxddk1qajzduo1_1280.jpg

This photo gave me a whole new insight into the Greeks.

Who says she's not being a worthy ambassador of Greek culture?

tailfins
07-27-2012, 08:12 AM

That's called a polygraph test. Maybe I can create a mental image of the content of your post. Imagine all sorts of participation in society requiring polygraph tests to insure correct opinions on a wide variety of topics.

However, that could backfire. What if someone passes the test? That could be used as defense against the accuser's desired interpretation of a given act or comment. I guess it could be stipulated that the test is prohibited for use as a defense.

tailfins
07-27-2012, 08:18 AM
An Olympic athlete is not merely a private citizen-- they're an ambassador of sport and representative of country. If one's expressed opinions, (which is an action not merely an opinion), runs contrary to that representation, they can and should eliminate your representative role.
This from the IOC's mission. I have emphasized those points I feel were violated by this athlete's comments.

And to top it off, the athlete was Greek, where the Olympics originated--she should have been keenly aware of the values and ideals of Olympism and represented them better. Clearly she did not, and thus does not belong at the games.

In detail the role of the IOC, according to the Olympic Charter, is:

To encourage and support the promotion of ethics in sport as well as education of youth through sport and to dedicate its efforts to ensuring that, in sport, the spirit of fair play prevails and violence is banned;
To encourage and support the organisation, development and coordination of sport and sports competitions;
To ensure the regular celebration of the Olympic Games;
To cooperate with the competent public or private organisations and authorities in the endeavour to place sport at the service of humanity and thereby to promote peace;
To take action in order to strengthen the unity and to protect the independence of the Olympic Movement;
To act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement;
To encourage and support the promotion of women in sport at all levels and in all structures with a view to implementing the principle of equality of men and women;
To lead the fight against doping in sport;
To encourage and support measures protecting the health of athletes;
To oppose any political or commercial abuse of sport and athletes;
To encourage and support the efforts of sports organisations and public authorities to provide for the social and professional future of athletes;
To encourage and support the development of sport for all;
To encourage and support a responsible concern for environmental issues, to promote sustainable development in sport and to require that the Olympic Games are held accordingly;
To promote a positive legacy from the Olympic Games to the host cities and host countries;
To encourage and support initiatives blending sport with culture and education;
To encourage and support the activities of the International Olympic Academy (IOA) and other institutions which dedicate themselves to Olympic education.

And to think, God only demanded ten commandments!

Furthermore, the above is so vaguely worded, it could be used to eliminate anybody.

fj1200
07-27-2012, 08:38 AM
^Remember when the Olympics were about amateur competition? :sigh:

jimnyc
07-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Here's another one tossed from the Olympics over twitter!

Following Switzerland's 2-1 loss to South Korea in the Olympic men's soccer tournament on Sunday, 23-year-old Swiss defender Michel Morganella expressed his frustration with a discriminatory tweet that has gotten him expelled from the squad and sent home by Swiss team officials. The message, which said that Koreans should "burn themselves" and described them as "retards" was followed by an apology in English before Morganella's @morgastoss account was deleted from the social networking site, but after a quick investigation, the Swiss team chief decided that this required further action.

From Reuters:

"He discriminated, insulted and violated the dignity of the South Korean football team and the South Korean people," Swiss team chief Gian Gilli told reporters.

This makes Morganella the second Olympic athlete to be dropped from the Games for a racially charged tweet after Greek triple jumper Voula Papachristou was left in Athens last week for her attempt at a joke about Africans in Greece.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/swiss-soccer-player-kicked-off-olympic-team-racist-165059693--oly.html

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Add another twitter dope to the list, only this time it wasn't one of the athletes. Not sure the guy should really have been arrested though.

Twitter user arrested after taunting Great Britain diving star Tom Daley about his dead fatherLONDON – A Twitter user was arrested by British police Tuesday after posting threatening and abusive messages about Olympic diver Tom Daley and targeting him with a taunt about his dead father.

Police forces in Dorset, 75 miles south of London, confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that a 17-year-old had been taken into custody in relation to the incident, which followed Great Britain competitor Daley's fourth-place finish in the men's 10-meter synchronized diving event.

"A 17-year-old man was arrested by Dorset Police officers in the early hours of this morning in a guest house in the Weymouth area," said a police spokesman reading from an official statement. "He is currently held on suspicion of malicious communications and is assisting police with our inquiries."

Daley's father Rob was the driving force behind his son's career and became a well-known figure in the United Kingdom in his own right. Rob died last year after losing his fight with brain cancer and Tom was determined to win an Olympic medal in his honor.

Daley and partner Pete Waterfield slipped into fourth place after an error on their fourth of six attempts spoiled an otherwise consistent performance. Soon afterward, Daley reposted a message from a Twitter user called Rileyy69 that read: "You let your Dad down, I hope you know that."

Daley added his own message to the retweet, saying: "After giving my all, you get idiot's (sic) sending me this."

Daley has more than 780,000 followers and following his response, his Twitter tormentor was bombarded with messages from angry fans. Yahoo! Sports understands he then threatened one of the respondents, while claiming he would "drown" Daley. He later tried to backtrack by sending an apology.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--twitter-user-arrested-for-taunting-great-britain-diving-star-tom-daley-about-his-dead-father.html

fj1200
07-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Add another twitter dope to the list...

Twitter: Giving idiots global voice since 2006!

EDIT:

I'm sorry, was that me trying to mod the internet?

:embarrassed:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-31-2012, 10:43 AM
THIS NOTHING MORE THAN FREE SPEECH BEING PUNISHED.
This how they want the world to operate= New World Order.
STRICTLY CONTROL THE WRITTEN AND SPOKEN WORD AND YOU HAVE A WAY TO SILENCE ALL OPPOSITION TO STATE CONTROL.
It is a Stalin dream come true. I stopped watching the Olympics when they started with this type of PURE bullshit..
I guess that I have a somewhat more clear and deeper sense of freedom of speech than many . -Tyr

fj1200
07-31-2012, 11:07 AM
I guess that I have a somewhat more clear and deeper sense of freedom of speech than many . -Tyr

Not really, the IOC is not in the business of assuring speech rights.