PDA

View Full Version : Chic-fil-A and the First Amendment

Thunderknuckles
07-25-2012, 04:53 PM
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/cities-move-to-ban-chick-fil-a-supporters-launch-day-of-support.html
Just read about this today.
Essentially, the owners of Chic-fil-A are Christian and have publicly said they support the traditional definition of marriage.
This pissed off the gays and now we have various city officials attempting to ban construction/operation of their restaurants in their cities.

Forget about this gay marriage crap and let this sink in a bit.
We have government officials taking punitive action against private citizens because their opinion, expressed under the First Amendment, was offensive to said government officials.
That's a damn big deal and all of the homosexuals that actually support this should sit down, STFU, and think about what the "big picture" ramifications are.

Kathianne
07-25-2012, 05:41 PM
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/cities-move-to-ban-chick-fil-a-supporters-launch-day-of-support.html
Just read about this today.
Essentially, the owners of Chic-fil-A are Christian and have publicly said they support the traditional definition of marriage.
This pissed off the gays and now we have various city officials attempting to ban construction/operation of their restaurants in their cities.

Forget about this gay marriage crap and let this sink in a bit.
We have government officials taking punitive action against private citizens because their opinion, expressed under the First Amendment, was offensive to said government officials.
That's a damn big deal and all of the homosexuals that actually support this should sit down, STFU, and think about what the "big picture" ramifications are.

I know that a Chicago alderman is going nuts, they with pinky rings are so self-righteous. LOL!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-25/news/ct-met-chicago-chick-fil-a-20120725_1_1st-ward-gay-marriage-ward-alderman

Ald. Proco "Joe" Moreno, 1st, doesn't want a Chick-fil-A fast-food store to open in his ward because the company's leader opposes gay marriage. (Alex Garcia,…)

<script src="http://articles.chicagotribune.com/modal/js/lazyload-min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

A Chicago alderman wants to kill Chick-fil-A's plans to build a restaurant in his increasingly trendy Northwest Side ward because the fast-food chain's top executive vocally opposes gay marriage.

Ald.Proco "Joe" Moreno announced this week that he will block Chick-fil-A's effort to build its second Chicago store, which would be in the Logan Square neighborhood, following company President Dan Cathy's remarks last week that he was "guilty as charged" for supporting the biblical definition of marriage as between a man and woman.

I do know that many from Cook County, including Chicago drive out to the Chick Fil A in my suburb. They aren't open on Sundays, either.

Got to admit though that Chicago media is competitive:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Theres-Nothing-Political-About-A-Chicken-Sandwich-163720006.html

I understand 1st Ward Ald. Joe Moreno’s beef with Chick-fil-A. As a progressive politician, he’s upset that Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy made this statement against gay marriage:

“We’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. And I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude that thinks we have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about.”

As a customer, Moreno has every right to boycott Chick-fil-A over its homophobia. (Although, since Moreno is a vegetarian, the only Chick-fil-A product he can boycott are its waffle fries.) As a politician, though, he is planning to use aldermanic prerogative to block Chick-fil-A from opening a restaurant in his ward, on the 2500 block of North Elston Avenue. Moreno has the support of Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who told the Tribune (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-25/news/ct-met-chicago-chick-fil-a-20120725_1_1st-ward-gay-marriage-ward-alderman),

“Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values. They disrespect our fellow neighbors and residents. This would be a bad investment, since it would be empty.”

That strikes me as an abuse of power, by imposing a political litmus test on businesses that want to operate in Chicago. Agree or disagree, opposition to gay marriage is a legitimate political stance. Mitt Romney is against gay marriage. Does that mean the Republicans shouldn’t be allowed to open a campaign office in Chicago?

I’m worried that we’re becoming a nation whose political beliefs dictate not only how we vote, but which restaurants we patronize, which stores we shop at, which TV shows we watch, which sports we follow, and which churches we worship at (or whether we worship at all). If you’re conservative, you shop at Walmart, tune in to Fox News, dine at Cracker Barrel, watch stock car racing and go to a Baptist church on Sunday morning. If you’re liberal, you buy your groceries at Whole Foods, watch the Colbert Report, eat Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, watch soccer and go to brunch on Sunday morning. In the past dozen years, our political divide has widened into a cultural divide which is leaving us with less and less in common as Americans.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee is organizing a counter-boycott by encouraging his supporters to eat at Chick-fil-A next Wednesday. And what’s to stop a conservative local official in Dallas or Memphis from blocking a Starbucks because the coffee chain offers benefits to partners of employees in same-sex relationships?

I’ve never seen a Chick-fil-A, and I doubt I’d eat at one, because their food looks like fried crap. But I’m a big Detroit Tigers fan, and I didn’t stop rooting for the team when it was owned by Tom Monaghan. Monaghan built an entire college (http://www.avemaria.edu/) to prevent gay marriage. Chick-fil-A should be allowed to find out whether there’s a market for its chicken sandwiches in the 1st Ward. Maybe Dan Cathy’s opinions on gay marriage will make his food unpalatable in Logan Square.

Or maybe there are still people who don’t think a chicken sandwich is political.

Anton Chigurh
07-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Chic Fil-A is such a Nom, that even if they published the Communist manifesto on all their cups, bags, placemats and such - they would still not see a dent in their sales.

Nothing to see here...

Kathianne
07-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Chic Fil-A is such a Nom, that even if they published the Communist manifesto on all their cups, bags, placemats and such - they would still not see a dent in their sales.

Nothing to see here...

What's a 'nom'?

Nukeman
07-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Funny how none of these folks were concerned about Chic-fil-A losing revenue on Sundays, since as a Christian owned and operated company they are CLOSED on that day.

Funny how they are only concerned about if they accept gays or not... I don't think this will affect any of their business!!

jimnyc
07-25-2012, 07:33 PM
I'll be sure to buy a chicken sandwich or 2 from them the next time I see one of their stores, just on principle alone! Seriously though, the city officials should be relieved of their duties.

Roo
07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Hate speech appears to be anything a "progressive" doesn't like.

Kathianne
07-25-2012, 07:48 PM
I'll be sure to buy a chicken sandwich or 2 from them the next time I see one of their stores, just on principle alone! Seriously though, the city officials should be relieved d their duties.

Do. Their product is very good, but imo, very over priced. I've bee there once, but my kids and their friends? As often as they can!

fj1200
07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Do. Their product is very good, but imo, very over priced. I've bee there once, but my kids and their friends? As often as they can!

Chicken Biscuit this morning was very good. As was the shake this afternoon. Not a typical day though.

grannyhawkins
07-25-2012, 08:16 PM
I just have a hard time picturin chicken fur breakfast. I do like cold pizza for breakfast though

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2012, 08:40 PM
I just have a hard time picturin chicken fur breakfast. I do like cold pizza for breakfast though

No weenie chicken for breakfast for me. ;)
I eat pancakes or toast with orange juice now but used to eat 4 eggs scrambled with tomato relish ,cheese and jalepenos , bacon or hot sausage and topped that of with two or three cups of good java!
From now on everytime we go to the mall I will eat at Chick-fil -A... FF THA GAYS..-;)-Tyr

gabosaurus
07-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Chick-Fil-A has the right to say what they want, believe what they want and do what they want.
Others have a right to not eat there, or oppose their restaurants. The First Amendment works both ways.

I oppose Chick-Fil-A because their chicken sandwich is really raunchy. Not that I care for friend chicken anyway.
And it doesn't hold a candle to Pollo Campero.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Chick-Fil-A has the right to say what they want, believe what they want and do what they want.
Others have a right to not eat there, or oppose their restaurants. The First Amendment works both ways.

I oppose Chick-Fil-A because their chicken sandwich is really raunchy. Not that I care for friend chicken anyway.

TELL ME , HOW DOES ONE "OPPOSE" A RESTAURANT"????-:laugh2:

gabosaurus
07-25-2012, 08:58 PM
TELL ME , HOW DOES ONE "OPPOSE" A RESTAURANT"????-

DUH... :lame2:

Same way you oppose any business. You oppose it being built. If it gets built anyway, you don't eat there. And you oppose others eating there.
If you are really serious about it, you engage in cyber-terrorism.

tailfins
07-25-2012, 09:01 PM

Same way you oppose any business. You oppose it being built. If it gets built anyway, you don't eat there. And you oppose others eating there.

So you support denying business licenses based on the owners opinions? Do you really? If I were as thin skinned as you, I would have a stroke. If I as a Republican can eat here: http://www.thefriendlytoast.net/ (click on the "photos" button)

You can eat at Chik-Fil-A. You should consider getting over yourself. What would you do if a professional association you belonged to went to Chik-Fil-A? Would you make an ass out of yourself?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Tell me, exactly how does one "oppose" others eating there? Do they suddenly not have that right , Gabby??--Tyr

Anton Chigurh
07-25-2012, 09:16 PM
What's a 'nom'?http://icanhazcheezburger.com
Vernacular of the site and its denizens, Cats say good things to eat are "Noms."

And when they are eating noms they go 'nom nom nom nom.'

Shadow
07-25-2012, 09:53 PM

Cyber-terrorism? You mean like SWATTING for instance? Thought you were against extremist violence Gabs...now you are touting it as a form of protest? Why am I not surprised. :laugh:

gabosaurus
07-25-2012, 11:33 PM
http://icanhazcheezburger.com
Vernacular of the site and its denizens, Cats say good things to eat are "Noms."

And when they are eating noms they go 'nom nom nom nom.'

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/141/995/funny-pictures-cat-wants-his-birthday-cake.jpg?1309412237

gabosaurus
07-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Cyber-terrorism? You mean like SWATTING for instance? Thought you were against extremist violence Gabs...now you are touting it as a form of protest? Why am I not surprised.

Oh please Shadow, I thought you were smarter than this. You should have at least have looked it up.
According to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, cyberterrorism is any "premeditated, politically motivated attack against information, computer systems, computer programs, and data which results in violence against non-combatant targets by sub-national groups or clandestine agents."
On a much smaller scale, it is the use of web sites (such yelp.com and other restaurant review sites) to post bad reviews and comments.

Shadow
07-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Oh please Shadow, I thought you were smarter than this. You should have at least have looked it up.
According to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, cyberterrorism is any "premeditated, politically motivated attack against information, computer systems, computer programs, and data which results in violence against non-combatant targets by sub-national groups or clandestine agents."
On a much smaller scale, it is the use of web sites (such yelp.com and other restaurant review sites) to post bad reviews and comments.

Not so different from SWATTING Gabs...

The FBI defines terrorism as the unlawful use of force or violence against
persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian
population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social
objectives. Cyber-terrorism could thus be defined as the use of computing
resources to intimidate or coerce others. An example of cyber-terrorism could be
hacking into a hospital computer system and changing someone's medicine
prescription to a lethal dosage as an act of revenge. It sounds far fetched, but
these things can and do happen.

http://csciwww.etsu.edu/gotterbarn/stdntppr/

Since cyber war covers a wide variety of situations, it is often used to refer to everything from financial crimes to computer hacks that could kill people by blowing up a pipeline. It was discovered last year that spies hacked into the U.S. electric grid and left behind computer programs that would allow them to disrupt services.

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/community/features/guestopinions/blog/international-cyber-terrorism-the-case-for-an-aggressive-offense/?cs=41780

Mr. P
07-26-2012, 12:30 AM

With you on the price, K. I don't go there cuz of it. BUT...

I've met and flown one of Mr. Cathy's sons (Kim) and his wife. Seen interviews with Truett but never met him.

As to Mr. Cathy and his company. I think I can say he and his family are what they say without hesitation. They will not bend on their beliefs. They carry those beliefs into successful foundations and such. It really is amazing what they do!

From the personal contact I've had I can say this: They radiate "GOOD!". Really, they do.

Thunderknuckles
07-26-2012, 12:33 AM
I agree with what you said here Gabby. However, this is not the issue. The issue is government taking punitive action against private citizens for their opinions.

Let me put this another way:
Assume you are a business owner that employs thousands of people. Being a liberal, you come out and publicly say "I don't like Republicans"
Do you think it is acceptable that Republican government officials take punitive action against you and your livelihood, and by extension the livelihoods of your employees, because they found your comments offensive??

Honestly, I don't think you are getting it. San Francisco already successfully shut down the opening of a new restaurant because of this.

This is madness.

logroller
07-26-2012, 03:51 AM
blip...wrong thread.

Noir
07-26-2012, 03:58 AM
Well there owner is apparently an idiot (one of those 'gods gonna punish our nation' people =/) and i'm sure they'll lose customers for his statements, but what on earth that has to do with them opening new stores idk.

logroller
07-26-2012, 04:11 AM
While I agree with the sentiments here, would it be any different than if an exotic dance club or liquor store opened up in a conservative suburb? How about a planned parenthood? What about that story months back where it was a gun range opening near school? Who's to decide what is desirable and what is not...the market, the people, their elected officials?

jimnyc
07-26-2012, 07:00 AM
While I agree with the sentiments here, would it be any different than if an exotic dance club or liquor store opened up in a conservative suburb? How about a planned parenthood? What about that story months back where it was a gun range opening near school? Who's to decide what is desirable and what is not...the market, the people, their elected officials?

Yeap, same with an exotic club - maybe oppose it based on ordinances and such - but if you're one of the decision makers on a board or such, and you deny permits or similar simply because you disagree with an employee/owners political stance on an issue, then they too shouldn't be in charge.

And yes, I would say the same for example, if someone were unfairly denied permits or other things if they were FOR gay marriage. One shouldn't have anything to do with the other, unless of course these people are selling marriage licenses with burgers and chicken!

red state
07-26-2012, 07:59 AM
They should NOT be in leadership roles after proving that they are dishonorable NAZIS. The owner of chick-fil-a is an honorable man full of good sense unlike those who spout of with little to know common sense, knowledge or honor in calling someone of his character an idiot. They guy will not hurt because of this...in fact, he'll grow bigger and bigger now that WE THE PEOPLE know that we can bring our children to an establishment without them having to witness the perversions of the demented. THEY can boycott an honorable, successful business such as chick-fil-a just as I can boycott a dishonorable business such as [HOMO-Deep-Ho] where you are NOT allowed to wear a symbol representing your son who is fighting for our Nation but you are encouraged to wear such 'adornments' to praise and glorify the homosexuals and sodomites. LOOK, Chick-fil-a never said ANYTHING or did anything to suggest that they wouldn't serve or hire homosexuals...they simply voiced there opinion/perspective and teachings of The Almighty God who, in his wisdom, gave us the Christian leadership and values that made this Christian Nation what it took to be the GREATEST Nation in the world and in history! Shame on the homosexuals, lil' libbie loser lemmings, and mu-SLUMs who would have it be like any other run-of-the-mill Cess Nation where FREEDOMS are trampled on and prosperity is stagnant.

I wish that MANY business such as Chick-fil-a would simply voice their opinion/perspective so that more and more of them would essentially take the pervs and lil' libbie loser lemmings out of the picture. In fact, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the NAZIS continued to ban such quality, time honored businesses. In time, and with the businesses, the GOOD people will relocate as well. We're seeing it happen anyway as with the Cess Coast where taxes are terrible and the smart ones, who are able to do so, FLEE the tyranny and injustice!!! FACT!!! If we are not able to inoculate the disease/plague we know as liberalism, I hope to one day see the losers in their region of the country and the honorable Patriots within theirs. And for the record, I hope that we make clear that WE THE PEOPLE will NOT bail the lil' libbie loser lemming State to our North and at each Cess Coast. We will have the Gulf of America, MUCH natural resources and the BEST people from the East, North and West to add to our own native people!!! Good riddance to the rest of the cess. THEY are too much of a burden and are only holding us back. It is time to move forward and let THEM keep the 'CHANGE'....I say, pocket change that is.

Roo
07-26-2012, 08:46 AM
TELL ME , HOW DOES ONE "OPPOSE" A RESTAURANT"????-:laugh2:

I'll guarantee you Gabby thought the Dixie Chicks got a raw deal when everyone stopped bying their recprds over their "free speech" issue.

red state
07-26-2012, 09:31 AM
I'll guarantee you Gabby thought the Dixie Chicks got a raw deal when everyone stopped bying their recprds over their "free speech" issue.

And OUR campaign to put those anti-American ****ry sluts in their place was an overwhelming success! Those lil' libbie loser lemmings never really recovered after that although they were at that time and just before, a HUGE success and a very HOT ticket. Goes to show you where the majority of the people stand and it's just smart to stand with AMERICA and snub your nose to the homosexuals, pedophiles, sodomites, lil' libbie loser lemming and the rest of our perverted enemies who would have this country be anything but the GREAT, FREE, CHRISTIAN NATION that has given them so much freedom. Again, lil' libbie losers and their NAZI-like tactics/agendas/injustices have caused more loss of jobs!!! And that is jobs lost for EVERYONE!

:flyflag:

red state
07-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Veterens and many other TRUE Patriots backed up the parking lots of MANY Chick-fil-a's!!! :clap:

3628 Once again, REAL Patriots, who love this country, are RIGHT on target!

Tyr, time to start shootin'!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Still, I dont understand this "oppose" business that she referenced. Either one eats at a resturaunt or one doesnt!
So what she means instead is attack the owners and do personal harm to them in other ways !
My aint that sweet from this liberal but par for course as lib/leftys always end up revealing thier true violent and hatefilled nature just as the muslims do.. Also why the dem/lib/lefties so often defend and support terrorist muslims. Obama being one and supporting his true religion IMHO.-Tyr

revelarts
07-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Yeap, same with an exotic club - maybe oppose it based on ordinances and such - but if you're one of the decision makers on a board or such, and you deny permits or similar simply because you disagree with an employee/owners political stance on an issue, then they too shouldn't be in charge.

And yes, I would say the same for example, if someone were unfairly denied permits or other things if they were FOR gay marriage. One shouldn't have anything to do with the other, unless of course these people are selling marriage licenses with burgers and chicken!

Um No it's Not the same.
The Restaurant sells Chicken, the owners happen to have a religious opinion about gay marriage.

It's Not like an Exotic club, Gay bar or Liquor store. Which have activities that are questionable. They're not doing anything but selling food. There's Zero legitimate reason to block the restaurants.

Noir
07-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Veterens and many other TRUE Patriots backed up the parking lots of MANY Chick-fil-a's!!! :clap:

3628 Once again, REAL Patriots, who love this country, are RIGHT on target!

Tyr, time to start shootin'!

Buying things, true American patriotism in action.

(I'm sure George Carlin could work a good rant out of that)

red state
07-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Um No it's Not the same.
The Restaurant sells Chicken, the owners happen to have a religious opinion about gay marriage.

It's Not like an Exotic club, Gay bar or Liquor store. Which have activities that are questionable. They're not doing anything but selling food. There's Zero legitimate reason to block the restaurants.

GREAT point and right on target....unless I've misunderstood you in any way. The truth of the matter is that he is Christian and as a Christian, he should keep his mouth shut on ALL issues and should really be banned from voting so that his religious convictions do not cloud his mind in making the LEFT decision. After all, we all know that this Nation was founded on the principles of "so-called tolerance", "get along, go along", "if it feels good, do it" and "redistribute wealth".

A strip club is, in no way comparable to McDonald's, Taco Bell or some other food service....UNLESS you happen to be CHRISTIAN/American.

jimnyc
07-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Um No it's Not the same.

Re-read my post, I was simply saying that neither a restaurant or a club should be denied permits, or anything for that fact, based on the decision maker within government disagreeing with their politics. If ordinances ban the other places for whatever reason, that's fine, so long as it's not because the local mayor has a political difference with an establishment.

revelarts
07-26-2012, 11:45 AM
News stories to come?

Kosher Deli owner has Objectionable political views. Denied city permit.
Muslim M.E. restaurant owner has Objectionable political views. Denied city permit.
Asian restaurant owner, Buddhist, has Objectionable political views . Denied city permit.
New Age Health food restaurant owner, has Objectionable -and weird- political views . Denied city permit.
Even a racist restaurant owner, has Objectionable political views . Denied city permit.
Atheist restaurant owner, has horrible Objectionable political views . Denied city permit.

I doubt it.
But a Christian is fair game it seems.
Canary in the coal mine?

gabosaurus
07-26-2012, 02:18 PM
And OUR campaign to put those anti-American ****ry sluts in their place was an overwhelming success! Those lil' libbie loser lemmings never really recovered after that although they were at that time and just before, a HUGE success and a very HOT ticket. Goes to show you where the majority of the people stand and it's just smart to stand with AMERICA and snub your nose to the homosexuals, pedophiles, sodomites, lil' libbie loser lemming and the rest of our perverted enemies who would have this country be anything but the GREAT, FREE, CHRISTIAN NATION that has given them so much freedom. Again, lil' libbie losers and their NAZI-like tactics/agendas/injustices have caused more loss of jobs!!! And that is jobs lost for EVERYONE!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BLlJwLdIRpk/SW2f5Fo12ZI/AAAAAAAAA7s/1kYOYqLWQIs/s400/Sieg+Heil-709292.JPG

Thunderknuckles
07-26-2012, 02:44 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BLlJwLdIRpk/SW2f5Fo12ZI/AAAAAAAAA7s/1kYOYqLWQIs/s400/Sieg+Heil-709292.JPG

Hitler must be flaying a few demons in Hell over this picture. This is the legacy Mein Kampf, 4 not so menacing, chubby little bastards taking a timeout in between twinkies for a photo op.

Noir
07-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Hitler must be flaying a few demons in Hell over this picture. This is the legacy Mein Kampf, 4 not so menacing, chubby little bastards taking a timeout in between twinkies for a photo op.

I like the guy at the end in the black jacket, who apparently isn't part of the little hitlers, rather he's just chillin while some neonazi's do their thing xD

red state
07-26-2012, 03:13 PM

How VERY right you are!

3641..............the picture of STUPIDITY!!!! Let go of the turd or get off the wacky weed!!! That way you'll hopefully be able to post something that is remotely intelligent and less smelly!!! And do wash your hands before touching your keyboard. :poke:

Roo
07-26-2012, 03:15 PM
How VERY right you are!

3641..............the picture of STUPIDITY!!!! Let go of the turd or get off the wacky weed!!! That way you'll hopefully be able to post something that is remotely intelligent and less smelly!!! And do wash your hands before touching your keyboard. :poke:

She's already said that being informed is too much work....she'd rather just flame......she must an extraodinary teacher eh...a real credit to the profession.

red state
07-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Those libbie bastages!!!! The one in the front with the American and swastika makes me want to reach through time, deminsion and my computer screen and knock the ever libbie $#!T out of him!!!!

Leave it to libbie, socialists to take a religious symbol and turn it into something that the world sees as evil. Kinda like what lib-homosexuals did with words such as GAY. They ruin most everything they touch. Im glad my family had a hand in putting down the Nazis and Japs back in WWII. Now it is Patriots like me that need to step up and defeat the liberal Nazis that are the current plague of our Nation.

:flyflag:

red state
07-26-2012, 03:24 PM
She's already said that being informed is too much work....she'd rather just flame......she must an extraodinary teacher eh...a real credit to the profession.

R U kidding?! That ignorant ranter is a teacher! Goes to show you that the old saying is true. Those that can...do but those who can't...teach! Well, that isn't always true but it certainly seems to apply to teachers of the Cess Coast.

U R RIGHT on target though 3642

Kathianne
07-26-2012, 04:11 PM

So true, but in Boston and Chicago politicians have used their governmental powers to take away the right to open the business and that's not right. The reason? Those politicians disagree with the man's right to free speech of his beliefs. There are no accusations that the company has discriminated in hiring, serving anyone. Nope, just defined his belief of marriage. He could be right, he could be wrong, but he does have the right to say what he wished.

Let them open and if the community chooses to boycott because of what the man said, too bad for the store.

Kathianne
07-26-2012, 04:33 PM
It seems the mayor of Boston was perhaps advised by counsel?

http://bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1061148712

Menino says he can’t actively block Chick-fil-A
<!--//Byline box//--> By Greg Turner | Thursday, July 26, 2012

<!--//article Image//--> <!--//article//--> Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino (http://bostonherald.com/search/?topic=Thomas+M.+Menino) repeated today that he doesn’t want Chick-fil-A in Boston, but he backed away from a threat to actively block the fast-food chain from setting up shop in the city.

“I can’t do that. That would be interference to his rights to go there,” Menino said, referring to company president Dan Cathy, who drew the mayor’s wrath by going public with his views against same-sex marriage.
The mayor added: “I make mistakes all the time. That’s a Menino-ism.”

The Herald first reported last week that Menino warned “it will be very difficult” for Chick-fil-A to obtain licenses for a restaurant in Boston.

The Atlanta-based chicken chain has been eyeing a space near the Freedom Trail and across the street from City Hall, among other locations, for its first eatery in Boston.

“I sent (the landlord) a letter, but that’s all. There’s no pressure by me to allow this place to be rented,” he said.

Menino acknowledged Cathy’s freedom to express his views, but was unapologetic about his own tough stance that’s become national news.

“Some people might not like these positions, but as mayor of the city of Boston, you can’t run and hide, and I’ll always protect people’s rights,” Menino said. “I’m right out front there and if people don’t like it, I feel sorry for them. But I’m the mayor of Boston and I get elected to make my opinions known.”

Kathianne
07-26-2012, 04:51 PM
With you on the price, K. I don't go there cuz of it. BUT...

I've met and flown one of Mr. Cathy's sons (Kim) and his wife. Seen interviews with Truett but never met him.

As to Mr. Cathy and his company. I think I can say he and his family are what they say without hesitation. They will not bend on their beliefs. They carry those beliefs into successful foundations and such. It really is amazing what they do!

From the personal contact I've had I can say this: They radiate "GOOD!". Really, they do.

Interesting how your post is echoed on what I posted here:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?36227-It-Seems-The-Chick-Fil-A-Owne-Didn-t-Say-Quite-What-He-Was-Quoted-As-Saying&p=568408#post568408

aboutime
07-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Would anyone like to explain WHEN the 1st Amendment was no longer in effect, or removed from the U.S. Constitution?

Until someone here explains, or answers that question.

Americans...no matter who they are, where they are, or what they say. ARE Granted the Right to Freely express themselves...according to the Constitution.

This thread is, and MUST remain. Moot.

aboutime
07-26-2012, 05:57 PM
R U kidding?! That ignorant ranter is a teacher! Goes to show you that the old saying is true. Those that can...do but those who can't...teach! Well, that isn't always true but it certainly seems to apply to teachers of the Cess Coast.

U R RIGHT on target though 3642

When you talk about teachers. You must remember. Today. Far too many of the younger, egotistical, snobs who pretend to be so much smarter than everyone else...usually are the very same so-called teachers who are members of the Union...and cannot be fired. Despite the actual facts...They are generally LESS Informed than the Children they pretend to teach.
Teachers across the nation. Not just one coast or the other...Are part of the Unwritten, denied conspiracy designed to denigrate, and destroy the educational principles as ordered by the very same Politicians who always use the Excuse of Needing More Money for....THE CHILDREN. When we all know. The reality is....that MORE MONEY is for the Union Run, Led, and Gullible Teachers who are Dumber than Dirt in many cases.

logroller
07-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Um No it's Not the same.

Questionable by whom rev? You? Me? Our representatives? Who gets to decide fried fat and the disgusting fatness and obesity that stems fromit it is any less onjectionable than getting a pack of smoke and a fifth? Slinging food for money and using that influence to promote family values is an activity-- obviously-- here it is being promoted! Quite frankly, Id think that would get them more advantage in attaining permits, not less; but hey, liberty is a double edged sword--you live by the sword, you die by the sword!

Kathianne
07-26-2012, 06:14 PM
When you talk about teachers. You must remember. Today. Far too many of the younger, egotistical, snobs who pretend to be so much smarter than everyone else...usually are the very same so-called teachers who are members of the Union...and cannot be fired. Despite the actual facts...They are generally LESS Informed than the Children they pretend to teach.
Teachers across the nation. Not just one coast or the other...Are part of the Unwritten, denied conspiracy designed to denigrate, and destroy the educational principles as ordered by the very same Politicians who always use the Excuse of Needing More Money for....THE CHILDREN. When we all know. The reality is....that MORE MONEY is for the Union Run, Led, and Gullible Teachers who are Dumber than Dirt in many cases.

If teachers aren't in a union, such as parochial schools, does that make them less young, egotistical, and snobbish? Do they recognize they are just as dumb as everyone else? Are they more informed than the children they teach?

Kathianne
07-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Questionable by whom rev? You? Me? Our representatives? Who gets to decide fried fat and the disgusting fatness and obesity that stems fromit it is any less onjectionable than getting a pack of smoke and a fifth? Slinging food for money and using that influence to promote family values is an activity-- obviously-- here it is being promoted! Quite frankly, Id think that would get them more advantage in attaining permits, not less; but hey, liberty is a double edged sword--you live by the sword, you die by the sword!

I do know that many communities do not have strip clubs, thus the applications were denied. Searching though, not finding much, this is the best so far:

http://www.stripclubproperties.com/legal.html

What is SOB ordinance / conformance?
SOB ordinance, or Sexually Oriented Business ordinance, is up to each community to enforce. Many communities employ a two-pronged regulation that includes both a zoning ordinance and a licensing scheme. The zoning ordinances define in which particular areas, or zones, within the community SOBs are allowed to operate.

Licensing schemes relate to operational issues of the SOBs, and may include restrictions on who may actually own an establishment, the age requirements of those who may be employed or be patrons, the manner in which the SOBs must control access to the premises, and the hours of operation.

It is important to know that a community can regulate SOBs, but as established by City of Renton v. Playtime Theater, Inc. 475 U.S. 41 (1986), not actually ban SOBs. In addition, the Supreme Court has stated that SOBs fall under the First Amendment.

This means that if a club conforms to the current SOB ordinance, and does not unreasonably limit alternate avenues of communication (Renton), it cannot be forced to shut down, and any changes to the zoning ordinance or licensing scheme must take the club's existence into account.
In addition to an SOB ordinance, there may be other laws and regulations that affect the operation of a club.

When you submit an inquiry expressing interest to contact a seller here on StripClubProperties, our certified brokers make sure to provide you with every possible bit of information regarding the current and future status of the club in its community and surroundings.

aboutime
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
If teachers aren't in a union, such as parochial schools, does that make them less young, egotistical, and snobbish? Do they recognize they are just as dumb as everyone else? Are they more informed than the children they teach?

Kathianne. If my statement offended you. I apologize. But we cannot deny. There are thousands of teachers who know, and fully understand what, and how I said what I said above.

It should only bother, or offend those who have something to hide, or argue about. Wouldn't you agree?

In other words. If it doesn't apply to you. It shouldn't bother you.

Kathianne
07-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Kathianne. If my statement offended you. I apologize. But we cannot deny. There are thousands of teachers who know, and fully understand what, and how I said what I said above.

It should only bother, or offend those who have something to hide, or argue about. Wouldn't you agree?

In other words. If it doesn't apply to you. It shouldn't bother you.

Surely.

Those on messageboards that consistently write over generalized, bomabasic, and hyperbolic posts are ijits. The real problem is that they bring down the reputation of the board, while painting false pictures of a myriad of issues.

grannyhawkins
07-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Would anyone like to explain WHEN the 1st Amendment was no longer in effect, or removed from the U.S. Constitution?

Until someone here explains, or answers that question.

Americans...no matter who they are, where they are, or what they say. ARE Granted the Right to Freely express themselves...according to the Constitution.

This thread is, and MUST remain. Moot.

I think thar's an unwritten law, that the Constitution of these United States, is given a time out during campaign season. This is to allow blatant political pandering. The rest of the time, it's just completely ignored by the Librawls.

aboutime
07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
I think thar's an unwritten law, that the Constitution of these United States, is given a time out during campaign season. This is to allow blatant political pandering. The rest of the time, it's just completely ignored by the Librawls.

Right you are granny. I almost forgot how Liberals, whether it's an election year or not. Always ignore, or disobey the intent of our Constitution...unless it serves one of their many USELESS purposes.
I should have remembered how the 1st Amendment is only applicable for Liberals WHEN THEY SPEAK, and for everyone else. It does not apply, or matter UNLESS you totally agree with them, and thank them for calling you a RACIST, and TERRORIST American.

Roo
07-26-2012, 07:08 PM
My daughter is one of those "young" teachers.

I have no knolwedge of any of these egostistical young people you speak....the ones I know are completely unassuming and completely dedicated to their craft.

Kathianne
07-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Right you are granny. I almost forgot how Liberals, whether it's an election year or not. Always ignore, or disobey the intent of our Constitution...unless it serves one of their many USELESS purposes.
I should have remembered how the 1st Amendment is only applicable for Liberals WHEN THEY SPEAK, and for everyone else. It does not apply, or matter UNLESS you totally agree with them, and thank them for calling you a RACIST, and TERRORIST American.

REALLY? On this thread? Or perhaps you wish to link to another thread, where this occurred?

logroller
07-26-2012, 11:57 PM
I do know that many communities do not have strip clubs, thus the applications were denied. Searching though, not finding much, this is the best so far:

http://www.stripclubproperties.com/legal.html
I can't speak for every locale, bui can tell you my town has strict laws about such businesses and will simply drag out the process so long and have regulatory enforcement breathing down their necks to make sure their business fails to thrive. While not banned, two such businesses I know of took three and half years from construction to openin, both of which were closed multiple times in the first 6 months for various infractions. It's discretionary enforcement, plain and simple. I'm not against such things; I think communities should regulate local commerce, but I don't think it's unreasonable for another community to desire something different-- that's all. I mean, really, how many areas have a problem with these guy's views? I'm guessing for every overtly gay-friendly community there's a thousand who'd be opposed-- it's just such an anomaly, I don't see how it garners attention.

DragonStryk72
07-27-2012, 02:23 AM

But this isn't about those things, gabs. I'm pro gay marriage, same as you, however, the issue here is the government moving to ban them for a personal opinion. It's no more legal than if they were attempting to ban businesses that had a pro-gay marriage stance in Texas. People have known for years that this company is very pro-christian, hence not being open on sundays. This isn't really news, so what, just because they followed the mainline position of the Vatican, that means they shouldn't be able to do business in america?

Also of note: Chick-fil-a doesn't just fry their chicken. They have grilled and baked chicken as well.

Kathianne
07-27-2012, 03:32 AM
I can't speak for every locale, bui can tell you my town has strict laws about such businesses and will simply drag out the process so long and have regulatory enforcement breathing down their necks to make sure their business fails to thrive. While not banned, two such businesses I know of took three and half years from construction to openin, both of which were closed multiple times in the first 6 months for various infractions. It's discretionary enforcement, plain and simple. I'm not against such things; I think communities should regulate local commerce, but I don't think it's unreasonable for another community to desire something different-- that's all. I mean, really, how many areas have a problem with these guy's views? I'm guessing for every overtly gay-friendly community there's a thousand who'd be opposed-- it's just such an anomaly, I don't see how it garners attention.

I understand how you're going for the 'good for one, good for all' argument. However, a fast food restaurant that is located in a commercial zone is not bad for the community because the owner thinks whatever. A strip club is in a 'morals' sense. It's why a city like mine has a law that no business in the limits, may serve alcohol without also serving food to the drink buyers. Yeah! Good old, Wheaton. That's up from the past, no liquor licenses at all. Those ordinances are to prevent or control the 'actions' of both proprietors and patrons. There's no need for such for the person serving chicken or a burger.

As for the 'community' of say gays. If you and the politicians are correct, the store would stay empty of customers. That would not be the city's problem. The guy thinks what he thinks, as does the community.

Mr. P
07-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Interesting how your post is echoed on what I posted here:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?36227-It-Seems-The-Chick-Fil-A-Owne-Didn-t-Say-Quite-What-He-Was-Quoted-As-Saying&p=568408#post568408

I missed that post, thanks!

Anton Chigurh
07-27-2012, 11:30 AM

fj1200
07-27-2012, 11:33 AM
^Maybe they're getting fairtrade, tolerant oil. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
07-27-2012, 11:41 AM
News stories to come?

Muslim M.E. restaurant owner has Objectionable political views. Denied city permit.
Asian restaurant owner, Buddhist, has Objectionable political views . Denied city permit.
New Age Health food restaurant owner, has Objectionable -and weird- political views . Denied city permit.
Even a racist restaurant owner, has Objectionable political views . Denied city permit.
Atheist restaurant owner, has horrible Objectionable political views . Denied city permit.

I doubt it.
Canary in the coal mine?

People tend to loathe and/or fear the truth. It's the way things are headed. We must get used to it. :(

Anton Chigurh
07-27-2012, 12:12 PM
News stories to come?

I doubt it.
Canary in the coal mine?Canards in your post.

logroller
07-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I understand how you're going for the 'good for one, good for all' argument. However, a fast food restaurant that is located in a commercial zone is not bad for the community because the owner thinks whatever. A strip club is in a 'morals' sense. It's why a city like mine has a law that no business in the limits, may serve alcohol without also serving food to the drink buyers. Yeah! Good old, Wheaton. That's up from the past, no liquor licenses at all. Those ordinances are to prevent or control the 'actions' of both proprietors and patrons. There's no need for such for the person serving chicken or a burger.

As for the 'community' of say gays. If you and the politicians are correct, the store would stay empty of customers. That would not be the city's problem. The guy thinks what he thinks, as does the community.
I get what you are saying but, in a moral community, would not a strip club stay empty of customers?
I guess what I take issue with is the public enforcement of morals; specifically, where do you draw the line?
For example, th county jack Daniels is produced in is dry. The production itself is fine, you an even drink it, but don't sell it there. Just seems odd to me.

Kathianne
07-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I get what you are saying but, in a moral community, would not a strip club stay empty of customers?
I guess what I take issue with is the public enforcement of morals; specifically, where do you draw the line?
For example, th county jack Daniels is produced in is dry. The production itself is fine, you an even drink it, but don't sell it there. Just seems odd to me.

Let's just say that 'community morals' haven't much to do with individual morals. A father might be a Baptist preacher and go on the sly. Not saying that a proclaimed vegetarian might not sneak a Chic fil A, but not going to bring hookers to Main St.

aboutime
07-27-2012, 03:40 PM
My daughter is one of those "young" teachers.

I have no knolwedge of any of these egostistical young people you speak....the ones I know are completely unassuming and completely dedicated to their craft.

Show me where I said "ALL"?

Abbey Marie
07-27-2012, 05:50 PM

My impression is that men go to strip clubs away from their own homes. Not wanting to be seen and all. Your neighborhood strip club will most likely attract people from other neighborhoods. But only the finest gentlemen and ladies, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

WiccanLiberal
07-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Very simple concept that too many don't seem to get. Where corporate entities are concerned, if I don't like their sociopolitical stance, I don't patronize them. Boycotts are worthwhile. You don't like a company's politics, vote with your dollars.

logroller
07-27-2012, 09:29 PM
My impression is that men go to strip clubs away from their own homes. Not wanting to be seen and all. Your neighborhood strip club will most likely attract people from other neighborhoods. But only the finest gentlemen and ladies, I'm sure. :rolleyes:
How much of that impression is formed from actual experience? I've been to a strip club four times (twice with my wife) and it was in our town. I've actually danced on a pole for a bunch of friends-- it was fun. I did stay clothed though... Less the tux jacket--True story! Is that gentlemenly?:dance:

aboutime
07-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Very simple concept that too many don't seem to get. Where corporate entities are concerned, if I don't like their sociopolitical stance, I don't patronize them. Boycotts are worthwhile. You don't like a company's politics, vote with your dollars.

All of this complaining, and talk about boycotting is kinda delicious, and funny. It reminds most of us about the MASSIVE BOYCOTT that is about to take place in November, when a large portion of those who Voted for Obama the first time....will either vote for Romney, or show their Final Buyers Remorse, and BOYCOTT the polling booth.

In either case. Nobody has bothered to recognize how Chic-fil-A is probably having a silent party...Grateful for all of the New Advertising they are getting Nationwide.
Guess the Libs, Obama, and Dems have no concept about how Republicans, Independents and Die Hard Hungry Libs are probably visiting Chic-fil-A restaurants...without thinking about a Boycott.

Anyone here remember how the Libs-Dems threatened to SHUT DOWN Limbaugh, and chase him off the air with those BOYCOTTS?

How'd that work out?

Mr. P
07-27-2012, 11:34 PM
How much of that impression is formed from actual experience? I've been to a strip club four times (twice with my wife) and it was in our town. I've actually danced on a pole for a bunch of friends-- it was fun. I did stay clothed though... Less the tux jacket--True story! Is that gentlemenly?:dance:

Oh, YOU GENTLEMANLY SLUT, WHORE! STAYING CLOTHED? BITCH!

Did I leave anything out? :laugh:

Kathianne
07-27-2012, 11:37 PM

Good for you and your wife. I guess you're happy that your community offers that service, but many are not, actually most. Those that do tend to have them on a main artery off the highways.

Other cities don't want them, though as I said, doesn't mean that a member of church council or clergy might not catch the acts in your town.

logroller
07-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Good for you and your wife. I guess you're happy that your community offers that service, but many are not, actually most. Those that do tend to have them on a main artery off the highways.

Other cities don't want them, though as I said, doesn't mean that a member of church council or clergy might not catch the acts in your town.
I was responding to abbey's impression of no visits where-- it's not something we frequent and I doubt my four visits in 16 years are keeping their doors open. As for clergy or church council, I quit attending (and tithing) our last church because of their judgmental views on a variety of issues, prop 8 being one of them. I just don't believe the enforcement of moral law is a governmental purpose. Btw, They are off the highway. If you wanted to say strip clubs in suburbia hurt land value and thus don't belong in neighborhoods, I'd support that, but that it far different than imposing moral righteousness by edict or popular vote.

Kathianne
07-28-2012, 01:32 AM
I was responding to abbey's impression of no visits where-- it's not something we frequent and I doubt my four visits in 16 years are keeping their doors open. As for clergy or church council, I quit attending (and tithing) our last church because of their judgmental views on a variety of issues, prop 8 being one of them. I just don't believe the enforcement of moral law is a governmental purpose. Btw, They are off the highway. If you wanted to say strip clubs in suburbia hurt land value and thus don't belong in neighborhoods, I'd support that, but that it far different than imposing moral righteousness by edict or popular vote.

Property values, community standards all come into play. So do the socio-economic attainment of an areas, richer locales can ban through zoning; poorer areas need all revenue and jobs to be had. I'm not the hypocrite here.

logroller
07-28-2012, 03:15 AM
Property values, community standards all come into play. So do the socio-economic attainment of an areas, richer locales can ban through zoning; poorer areas need all revenue and jobs to be had. I'm not the hypocrite here.
i didn't mean to imply you were hypocritical-- do you live in Lynchburg?
I have a minimum setback and height on my house which was set by zoning limits; so too with the size of storage structures and the posting of certain sized signs on my property (even the max height of a flagpole is specified). They even limit the number of yard sales i can have in a given year. They dont say i cant have a cross in my yard or a statue of david or even a stripper pole on porch(pending height and setback, of course). Zoning standards are one thing; discretionary enforcement of those standards upon businesses deemed immoral or aberrant is another. That's the issue here, for me atleast. That because of what chick filet owners represent, community authorities rejected their licensure. Not because chicken makes people hate gay marriage, but neither do strip clubs make men get all oversexed and perverse (people get that way on their own,IMO)
dont misunderstand my counter argument to mean I think the op doesn't seem foolish to me, it does! I never said otherwise; but foolish doesn't equal illegal. I don't see how that makes a difference to community-- but the community is free to kick that guy out of office or go to another community for their fast food chicken Monday through Saturday. I don't even like chick filet, so if they weren't in my community it wouldn't make a lick of difference-- except I don't want my community officials basing their decisions on moral rectitude-- so I'd can him! Just as im not gay either, but that doesn't mean I want government t dictating what marriage is-- that's for my wife and I to decide, not my community.

Here's another example-- the neighborhood rite aid sells alcohol, tobacco and pharma products (drugs, many prone to abuse and ripe with evidence of negative effects on individual and community); but they've banned marijuana co-op dispensaries within city limits under the auspices of aberrant drug using clientele. Now I don't use nor have reason to use marijuana for medicinal purposes, but thinking it should be allowed to be sold doesn't make me a hypocrite, does it?

Kathianne
07-28-2012, 07:25 AM
i didn't mean to imply you were hypocritical-- do you live in Lynchburg?
I have a minimum setback and height on my house which was set by zoning limits; so too with the size of storage structures and the posting of certain sized signs on my property (even the max height of a flagpole is specified). They even limit the number of yard sales i can have in a given year. They dont say i cant have a cross in my yard or a statue of david or even a stripper pole on porch(pending height and setback, of course). Zoning standards are one thing; discretionary enforcement of those standards upon businesses deemed immoral or aberrant is another. That's the issue here, for me atleast. That because of what chick filet owners represent, community authorities rejected their licensure. Not because chicken makes people hate gay marriage, but neither do strip clubs make men get all oversexed and perverse (people get that way on their own,IMO)
dont misunderstand my counter argument to mean I think the op doesn't seem foolish to me, it does! I never said otherwise; but foolish doesn't equal illegal. I don't see how that makes a difference to community-- but the community is free to kick that guy out of office or go to another community for their fast food chicken Monday through Saturday. I don't even like chick filet, so if they weren't in my community it wouldn't make a lick of difference-- except I don't want my community officials basing their decisions on moral rectitude-- so I'd can him! Just as im not gay either, but that doesn't mean I want government t dictating what marriage is-- that's for my wife and I to decide, not my community.

Here's another example-- the neighborhood rite aid sells alcohol, tobacco and pharma products (drugs, many prone to abuse and ripe with evidence of negative effects on individual and community); but they've banned marijuana co-op dispensaries within city limits under the auspices of aberrant drug using clientele. Now I don't use nor have reason to use marijuana for medicinal purposes, but thinking it should be allowed to be sold doesn't make me a hypocrite, does it?

No, not at all. Quite rational of you actually.

Here's the difference to me and it's about balancing rights, no doubt about it. Let's say instead of it being the topic of gay marriage-which it actually wasn't-and let's say it was something like black magic or name your poison that was this Cathy's beliefs.

Now he opens a store in the downtown area and I have 8-15 year old children who go to the downtown area to see movies, window shop, etc. with their friends on bikes or walk during the weekends. His store has nothing reflecting his 'crazy beliefs.' No harm.

OTOH, someone else wishes to open a porno shop and a strip club, the later of course serves liquor. The proposed owner is already a 'pillar of the community' and made his money selling his business of 30 years, "Religious supplies." Trust me, he made several fortunes in this city.

The nature of both businesses he wishes to operate call for unusual adverts due to the nature of said businesses. I do not want my younger children being exposed too ideas they cannot process; nor the older ones being precociously stimulated. As far as the strip club, while the owner may be a very nice man, that just wanted to try something new, can't say that his business may not well attract some very different types, that are not so 'controlled' in that particular atmosphere of the parking lot of the business.I could be wrong in my concerns, no doubt. Be that as it may well be, I would no longer allow my kids to go to town, because of what I perceive to be unacceptable consequences.

IMO the 'community standards' zoning has to do with the businesses, not the owners. What Boston and Chicago are attempting is to control speech and thought, as much as they can. Legally, as the Boston mayor finally admitted, not possible legally. In Chicago? They don't much care about the law.

Abbey Marie
07-28-2012, 02:48 PM

Hmm. So one cannot know about anything unless one experiences it personally? In Philly, there are these clubs in what was once and kinda still is a rather deserted part of town. They are drivable from downtown, but not near businesses or residences. Nearest to the old piers.

If your wife is ok with you going to such places, and that your neighbors see you going to them also, then I guess that works for you. Most of us, especially if we have kids, do not want this around our homes.

I know you are not this naive; therefore I place this in the category of many of your posts which seem to delight in taking the opposite stance just for the fun of it.

jimnyc
07-28-2012, 02:54 PM

I'm rather impressed with the fact that you got your wife to go with you twice. But in total you've only been to 4 strip clubs? And in your illustrious history you even reached the level of dancing the pole? LOL I've been to strip clubs probably like a 100 times or so, never with the wife. I've been more than drunk enough to dance the pole, but not drunk enough to know the bouncers would have kicked my ass had I tried!

Roo
07-30-2012, 06:35 PM
They are building a Chic-A-Fil right here in town, hell I'll eat there just to spit in the face of the lefty haters.

grannyhawkins
07-30-2012, 06:56 PM
They are building a Chic-A-Fil right here in town, hell I'll eat there just to spit in the face of the lefty haters.

Careful thar Roo!!! You don't wanna be known by the land of Gaydom as a spitter :laugh:

Roo
07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
I have some very close friends that are homosexual....my views upset them greatly...but I can't stand facist censorship from anyone.

grannyhawkins
07-30-2012, 07:18 PM
I have some very close friends that are homosexual....my views upset them greatly...but I can't stand facist censorship from anyone.

I'm glad I didn't offend you. I'm still gettin used to this hare forum and sometimes I get carried away with my own sense of humor.

I do have to tell y'all though, that my son just got married and one of his wife's bridesmaids was a guy. It was a great wedding. We had Black Americans, White American's, Asian American's, Syrian American's, Iranian American's, Mexican American's and Gay American's. I have my own "Modern Family" and couldn't be prouder of every one of them!!!

But, Marriage, as between a Man and a Woman, that is my line in the sand!!!

Roo
07-30-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm glad I didn't offend you. I'm still gettin used to this hare forum and sometimes I get carried away with my own sense of humor.

I do have to tell y'all though, that my son just got married and one of his wife's bridesmaids was a guy. It was a great wedding. We had Black Americans, White American's, Asian American's, Syrian American's, Iranian American's, Mexican American's and Gay American's. I have my own "Modern Family" and couldn't be prouder of every one of them!!!

But, Marriage, as between a Man and a Woman, that is my line in the sand!!!

My skin is thick, besides...I like you.

Shadow
07-30-2012, 07:23 PM

I probably will too. And I never go there (too far away). I really hate people who try to silence others through intimidation though. Huge pet peeve of mine.

Kathianne
07-31-2012, 05:38 PM
I remember having a thread similar last year. In this case, the owner refused to back a cake for a gay couple and their wedding. So instead of thumbing their nose about the business and moving to another one, here we go again with another scandal. They think they brought attention to the shop by forming a boycott, and now others are buying cakes and such from the shop to support the owner. Either way, my stance remains the same, let them run the business how they see fit, as a customer you have the right to take your business elsewhere.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/07/28/lakewood-cake-shop-refuses-wedding-cake-to-gay-couple/

The article, I can't 'quote the quote' is wrong. Cathy said nothing, nothing about gays in the interview.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/31/my-take-chick-fil-a-controversy-reveals-religious-liberty-under-threat/

My Take: Chick-fil-A controversy reveals religious liberty under threat (http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/31/my-take-chick-fil-a-controversy-reveals-religious-liberty-under-threat/)R. Albert Mohler Jr. is president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (http://www.sbts.edu/), the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention and one of the largest seminaries in the world. By R. Albert Mohler Jr., Special to CNN

(CNN)–Cultural upheavals often occur in the most surprising contexts. Who expected that a clash between sexuality and religious liberty would be focused on a restaurant company mainly known for its chicken sandwiches?

And yet the controversy over Chick-fil-A is a clear sign that religious liberty is at risk and that this nation has reached the brink of tyrannical intolerance from at least some of our elected leaders.

The controversy ignited when Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy, son of the company’s legendary founder, Truett Cathy, told a Baptist newspaper (http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=38271) that he and his company “operate on biblical principles” and “are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit.”

(http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/)Defining Chick-fil-A as “a family business,” Cathy went on to say (http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=38301) that “We intend to stay the course. … We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles.”

Media attention to Cathy’s comments revealed a radio interview he had given a few weeks earlier in which he commented that “I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at (God) and say, ‘We know better than You what constitutes a marriage.'

“I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think we would have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about,” he said.

Within days, elected officials in Chicago, Boston and New York were pledging to deny the company access to their cities...

Here's the quotes that have been taken to mean 'anti gay':

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=38271

...Some have opposed the company's support of the traditional family. "Well, guilty as charged," said Cathy when asked about the company's position.

"We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.

"We operate as a family business ... our restaurants are typically led by families; some are single. We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized.

Yet they ignore this, same site:

..."We don't claim to be a Christian business," Cathy told the Biblical Recorder in a recent visit to North Carolina. He attended a business leadership conference many years ago where he heard Christian businessman Fred Roach say, "There is no such thing as a Christian business."

"That got my attention," Cathy said. Roach went on to say, "Christ never died for a corporation. He died for you and me."

"In that spirit ... [Christianity] is about a personal relationship. Companies are not lost or saved, but certainly individuals are," Cathy added.

"But as an organization we can operate on biblical principles. So that is what we claim to be. [We are] based on biblical principles, asking God and pleading with God to give us wisdom on decisions we make about people and the programs and partnerships we have. And He has blessed us."...

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Kath, I think you're talking about the Chick Fil a thing, while the articles I spoke of are about bakers not wanting to make cakes for homosexual couples. :poke: :beer:

Kathianne
07-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Kath, I think you're talking about the Chick Fil a thing, while the articles I spoke of are about bakers not wanting to make cakes for homosexual couples. :poke: :beer:

you're right, move it, please.