PDA

View Full Version : Racial unrest comes to my neighborhood

gabosaurus
07-25-2012, 11:23 PM
I grew up reading about the Watts riots, the unrest of the Rodney King affair and those in other cities. The first two were before my time. The others were just that -- other cities.
What is really scary is when the whole thing comes home. As in less than a mile from where I grew up. Where my parents still live. And why my sister and her husband have been staying there for several days. Fully armed.
It's fucking scary.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/p...s-officer.html (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/police-365157-shootings-officer.html)

07-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Being fully armed would be a good idea.

ringotuna
07-26-2012, 04:07 AM
The green little valley where I grew up is no longer the happy place I knew back then. When I occasionally travel back there, I see security bars on windows and doors where previously no one ever bothered to even lock their doors. The wide open fenceless yards we used to short cut across are now barracaded with stone and wrought iron fences. Pisses me off.

logroller
07-26-2012, 04:13 AM
Being fully armed would be a good idea.

What's fully armed?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2012, 08:04 AM
What's fully armed?

That is a gun in your waistband , one in each hand and a few spare clips in your pockets along with a rifle or shotgun slung across your back..
Of course it helps if one has become a truly great shooter with all of them.-;)--Tyr

fj1200
07-26-2012, 09:16 AM
I grew up reading about the Watts riots, the unrest of the Rodney King affair and those in other cities. The first two were before my time. The others were just that -- other cities.
What is really scary is when the whole thing comes home. As in less than a mile from where I grew up. Where my parents still live. And why my sister and her husband have been staying there for several days. Fully armed.
It's fucking scary.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-colorado-shooting-gun-control-20120726,0,7980432.story

Why didn't you post a link related to your OP?

Gaffer
07-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Why didn't you post a link related to your OP?

Let's see, her sister and BIL are there with her parents and are fully armed, and she post a link about the dark lord wanting to take away their means of defending themselves. Ironic you might say.

I saw nothing about any riots anywhere.

I do remember the Watts riots. I lived about 20 miles from where they were occurring at the time. A car full of blacks anywhere in the area would arouse a lot of suspicion back then. The black community in Santa Ana was being watched real close too. It was all part of the civil rights movement. The dems were working real hard to suppress the blacks. The national guard was called in and there was a lot of shooting and street fighting. Black snipers on roofs were met with 50 cal. machine guns.

The King riots were the work of (not so) sharpton, jackson and some of their cronies. Designed to intimidate the establishment.

fj1200
07-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Let's see, her sister and BIL are there with her parents and are fully armed, and she post a link about the dark lord wanting to take away their means of defending themselves. Ironic you might say.

Perhaps she was implying in her typical Gabby way that BO was in the neighborhood, a fundraiser likely, and they were arming up against further tax increases and regulatory intrusion. Possibly wise on their part.

Little-Acorn
07-26-2012, 11:20 AM
"A conservative is a liberal who just got mugged."

Conservatives are much more than that, of course, but that's a common starting point.

Whatever causes the (former) liberal to realize that his cherished ideas in fact don't work, and are counterproductive, can be the starting point to realizing that what conservatives have been saying, is a better course.

The ones that are looking for a PERFECT plan for dealing with life, of course, might stay liberal, since the conservative plan isn't PERFECT, any more than any other plan is.

It's just more suitable for meeting the realities of life, than any other.

I hope you and yours stay safe, gabby. Whatever that takes.

gabosaurus
07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
My apologies for the wrong link. I had just got off the phone with my sister and it was a bit upsetting.
Perhaps one of the mods or admins can correct the link.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/police-365157-shootings-officer.html

Last time I checked, my brother in law had a Glock 30 (not sure if this is the correct name) and a 22 of some sort. He also has a rifle.

Trigg
07-26-2012, 03:35 PM
The next day,
an Anaheim gang officer shot and killed another man, Joel Mathew Acevedo, 21, in an unrelated incident. Police also described Acevedo as a known gang member and said he opened fire on officers during a foot chase.<!--googleoff: all-->
<!--googleon: all-->The back-to-back shootings have sparked several demonstrations.<!--googleoff: all-->
<!--googleon: all-->"The community is scared and angry," said Joanne Sosa, who helped organize Tuesday's protest. "We don't want violence, we just want those people (in City Hall) to know things need to change."<!--googleoff: all-->
<!--googleon: all-->Diaz was talking with friends when police confronted them, according to an attorney representing Diaz's mother in her lawsuit against the city. All three ran, and two officers chased Diaz, attorney Dana Douglas said in a statement.<!--googleoff: all-->
<!--googleon: all-->One of the officers had recognized Diaz as a known gang member and saw him holding a "concealed object" in his waistband with both hands, according to the police association. He ignored their orders to stop running, then pulled the object from his waistband and turned toward the officers, the association said.

So both are known gang members. One shot at police and the other grabed somthing with both hands as he turned toward police.

I will never understand why people protect gang members.

aboutime
07-26-2012, 06:18 PM

I do remember the Watts riots. I lived about 20 miles from where they were occurring at the time. A car full of blacks anywhere in the area would arouse a lot of suspicion back then. The black community in Santa Ana was being watched real close too. It was all part of the civil rights movement. The dems were working real hard to suppress the blacks. The national guard was called in and there was a lot of shooting and street fighting. Black snipers on roofs were met with 50 cal. machine guns.

The King riots were the work of (not so) sharpton, jackson and some of their cronies. Designed to intimidate the establishment.

Gaffer. There's a word that describes exactly what you are KINDA saying above. And the word is PRETENDING. Something Obama does as well in order to get more attention, while using Made-Up excuses, or simply Blaming others.
Sound familiar?

fj1200
07-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Can someone offer quoting 101 to the newbs please?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Can someone offer quoting 101 to the newbs please?

I've got a jolly ideal. Why dont you let the mods and/or Jim address these issues?
How about waiting until you are a mod before you attempt to wrestle mod duties way from them?
If it is truly a big deal they'll handle it. This is the type of shat that I got hit with right away when I first came here.
His reply was to Gaffer and if Gaffer does not complain why tha hell should you???
Looks like my friend Gaffer thanked him with nary a complaint of any sort....-Tyr

fj1200
07-26-2012, 08:57 PM
I've got a jolly

More jolly would be NOT F'ing a simple quote function.

jimnyc
07-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Independent observer here, posting as a friendly, not as staff...

It just makes the threads more fluid and reader friendly when quotes remain in the bubbles, so readers can tell who the words belong to. Here's what looks like is happening - some are hitting "reply with quote", and then when lining up their own words, sometimes cut off a trailing bracket at the end of the other members quote. ----> ] <----- that is the ending bracket. Without both an opening and ending bracket, the quoted words will just blend in with the rest of the text.

No big deal, no offenses committed, but it does make it more difficult on anyone reading the thread, to decipher who said what.

:beer:

Gaffer
07-26-2012, 09:11 PM
I always put the cursor at the end of the quote then hit enter twice to move it down. This way I don't accidentally remove anything.

gabosaurus
07-26-2012, 10:32 PM
I've got a jolly ideal. Why dont you let the mods and/or Jim address these issues?
How about waiting until you are a mod before you attempt to wrestle mod duties way from them?
If it is truly a big deal they'll handle it. This is the type of shat that I got hit with right away when I first came here.
His reply was to Gaffer and if Gaffer does not complain why tha hell should you???
Looks like my friend Gaffer thanked him with nary a complaint of any sort....-Tyr

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--EpkZv9qsUc/TmjiXZsVNhI/AAAAAAAABD8/ATgWvRhgnb4/s1600/O%2BYOU%2BMAD%252C%2BBRO%2B2011%2B9-7.jpg

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2012, 11:44 PM
More jolly would be ME F'ing a simple quote function like I do my dog.
HOW ABOUT THAT ABOVE NOW??
So says the guy that deliberately changes quotes and brags about it.
Why the fuck do you care at all jethro since you say its fine for you to fuck with them anyway you like?
YET YOU HAVE THE OUTRAGEOUS AUDACITY TO COMPLAIN IF SOMEBODY ELSE DOES NOT DO THEM CORRECTLY!!

HYPOCRISY AND DISHONORABLE ACTIONS TOO. You seem too much like ConHog to me!!!-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Independent observer here, posting as a friendly, not as staff...

It just makes the threads more fluid and reader friendly when quotes remain in the bubbles, so readers can tell who the words belong to. Here's what looks like is happening - some are hitting "reply with quote", and then when lining up their own words, sometimes cut off a trailing bracket at the end of the other members quote. ----> ] <----- that is the ending bracket. Without both an opening and ending bracket, the quoted words will just blend in with the rest of the text.

No big deal, no offenses committed, but it does make it more difficult on anyone reading the thread, to decipher who said what.

:beer:

Jim, why does it matter at all I ask? fmj1200 says its perfectly fine to ffkk with the quotes anyway he likes and has been doing so to my quotes for quite some time now!
Why the beef if a member makes a mistake in regards to a quote when his intentional QUOTE disruption is allowed???//??
SEE WHERE I DID HIS TACTIC AS AN EXAMPLE IN MY PREVIOUS POST.-Tyr

jimnyc
07-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Jim, why does it matter at all I ask? fmj1200 says its perfectly fine to ffkk with the quotes anyway he likes and has been doing so to my quotes for quite some time now!
Why the beef if a member makes a mistake in regards to a quote when his intentional QUOTE disruption is allowed???//??

Not a beef, just harder for reading is all I was pointing out. A member is allowed to "change" what they quote from another member, only if it's clear to the reader that they have done so. In other words, as a joke, but the reader can't be deceived. (I saw where FJ did so to you and it was clear he was yanking your chain and doing so)

As for the quoting mistake, that's different, as now the entire post becomes a bit illegible and it's hard to tell at all who wrote what as it all blends together then. But again, not a beef, which would infer me being angry or having problem. I'm merely pointing out, to be helpful, that as a result of the misquoting, the posts by certain people at times are difficult to read.

fj1200
07-27-2012, 08:29 AM
HOW ABOUT THAT ABOVE NOW??
So says the guy that deliberately changes quotes and brags about it.
Why the fuck do you care at all jethro since you say its fine for you to fuck with them anyway you like?
YET YOU HAVE THE OUTRAGEOUS AUDACITY TO COMPLAIN IF SOMEBODY ELSE DOES NOT DO THEM CORRECTLY!!

HYPOCRISY AND DISHONORABLE ACTIONS TOO. You seem too much like ConHog to me!!!-Tyr

You and honor are about as close as me and my dog; I don't have one. ;) Actually proper quote "fixoring" would be to make clear what was modified. You didn't do that but I don't think that is a rules issue, merely protocol.

A mistake happens once or seldom, not only do you continually make the same "mistake" but you don't take the time to correct it when it is glaringly obvious. Maybe if you had some respect for the board and its posters you might take a bit more care in posting.

BTW, I could probably count one one hand (insert tzs "fixoring" here ;) ) the number of times I have "ffkk"ed with your posts but I frequently edit them down as I do with all posters.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-27-2012, 08:43 AM
You and honor are about as close as me and my dog; I don't have one. ;) Actually proper quote "fixoring" would be to make clear what was modified. You didn't do that but I don't think that is a rules issue, merely protocol.

A mistake happens once or seldom, not only do you continually make the same "mistake" but you don't take the time to correct it when it is glaringly obvious. Maybe if you had the same disrespect for the board and its posters that I do you might take a bit more care in posting and pretend to be a damn genius like I do. It pleases me to come down from my magnificent purch to impress the world on my Godlike abilities.

BTW, I could probably count one one hand to five if my thumb didnt get in the way(insert tzs "fixoring" here ;) ) the number of times I have "ffkk"ed with your posts but I frequently forget how stupid I am and edit them down as I do with all posters that piss my sorry ass off.

I tell you what jethro, let me know when you become a mod here and just maybe I'll give a ffkk about what you try to tell me to do until then well Im sure you know. Whats wrong with you people that seems to think you are mods when you are not? Friendly advise is one thing but the shat you toss out is not so f-off.
Come back when your dream has come true and you have a mod hat to wear!--:laugh2:--Tyr

fj1200
07-27-2012, 08:55 AM
... become a mod...

So we can expect continued quoting failure?

I have though chosen to edit your post down to one of your favorite strawpeople, that I would like to be a mod. That and I'm a lib or a Bamboy fanboi. You should just number them, it would save you valuable internet points.

Abbey Marie
07-27-2012, 09:15 AM
My apologies for the wrong link. I had just got off the phone with my sister and it was a bit upsetting.
Perhaps one of the mods or admins can correct the link.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/police-365157-shootings-officer.html

Last time I checked, my brother in law had a Glock 30 (not sure if this is the correct name) and a 22 of some sort. He also has a rifle.

Fixed above. :cool:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-27-2012, 09:23 AM
So we can expect continued quoting failure?

I have though chosen to edit your post down to one of your favorite strawpeople, that I would like to be a mod. That and I'm a lib or a Bamboy fanboi. You should just number them, it would save you valuable internet points.

Sir, expect to get the disrespect that your posts to me ask for..I do occasionally placate foooools although you qualify I have no such generous desire in your case.

ok, just for you
1. Jim, grant this guy's obvious power seeking desire to be a mod so he can whip and beat senseless we poor lesser beings while stroking his own Godly ego and gently playing pocketpool with his otherwise free hand that is not involved in keyboard genius and magnificent bloviating.
Note: Do so at your own peril for those that think themselves genius and are power hungry usually destroy any and all they attempt to rule over..

Hows that? I asked for you and advised against ya. Such fairness clearly reveal my true nature, eh?-:laugh:-Tyr

jimnyc
07-27-2012, 09:29 AM
ok, just for you
1. Jim, grant this guy's obvious power seeking desire to be a mod

Nah, we'll always have people that tell others how to post, whether sarcastically or friendly. I don't think they want to be mods. I tell people how they should post all the time, but I do so as a member, and wouldn't do so as a mod anyway unless it was a rules violation.

FJ's been around plenty long enough and I don't think he has a desire to be a mod.

Funny thing is, I think you guys actually agree with one another more than you know, other than the blaming of everything on Obama, at least that's my take from posting with both of you fine gents over time! :)

fj1200
07-27-2012, 09:52 AM
... expect to get the disrespect...

So there's going to be some sort of change in your posting?

1. Jim, grant this guy's obvious power seeking desire to be a mod...

Pointing out your failings does not require mod power.

... I don't think he has a desire to be a mod.

A man who knows how to read between the lines. :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-27-2012, 10:43 AM
So there's going to be some sort of change in your posting?
Any change will be from my own desire to piss you off and point out your arrogance.-Tyr

Pointing out your failings does not require mod power.
but you want them regardless.-

A man who knows how to read between the lines. :laugh:
Yes, Jim's a good man, you should learn from that but you will not.-Tyr

As soon as you pay me to do your bidding I will post in the manner that you direct. My charge is only 750 bucks a day. Send cash because I do not trust your lying ass.-:laugh:
This one was free complete with mistake which I do not care to correct... How will you send that cash? -Tyr

fj1200
07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
As soon as you pay me ... I will post in the manner that you direct.

... lying ass.

You're already doing it for free so...

Plus, proof of my "lying ass." I don't expect it will be forthcoming.