PDA

View Full Version : 16 year old gets it....

Trinity
07-26-2012, 09:04 PM
so my 16 year old son was watching some videos on questions that were asked of Obama on the whole medical marijuana issue....after watching a couple of videos he looks at me and says seriously mom?! this guy can't give a straight answer on anything, he has yet to answer the question that was asked, he just tip toes around it and talks about other things without answering the question that they asked him!!! I just looked at him and said welcome to the world of politics....well that pissed him off and he says to me ummm no that is unacceptable, if someone asks a question you need to answer not beat around the bush and change the subject, then he says hmmm maybe I should get into politics and run for presidency..... :coffee:

Thunderknuckles
07-26-2012, 09:42 PM
so my 16 year old son was watching some videos on questions that were asked of Obama on the whole medical marijuana issue....after watching a couple of videos he looks at me and says seriously mom?! this guy can't give a straight answer on anything, he has yet to answer the question that was asked, he just tip toes around it and talks about other things without answering the question that they asked him!!! I just looked at him and said welcome to the world of politics....well that pissed him off and he says to me ummm no that is unacceptable, if someone asks a question you need to answer not beat around the bush and change the subject, then he says hmmm maybe I should get into politics and run for presidency..... :coffee:
Takes me back to my Political Science class in high school. I had one hell of a great teacher who challenged each of us to write our own analysis of a Presidential speech, question/answer session, etc.
He was also a campaign manager for a local candidate and invited us all to a political debate between his candidate and his opponent. Extra credit for those wrote an analysis of each candidate.
The conspiracy theorist in me says he did that for polling purposes :p
Nonetheless, I can say he was a big influence on my love for politics!

Kudos to your son for having a keen mind. We need more critical thinkers like him in this world!

red state
07-26-2012, 09:53 PM

I see GREAT things in this one! We need another
George Washington and he's out there. Your son
may very well be that new GREAT leader.

Thanks for posting!

gabosaurus
07-26-2012, 10:24 PM
More likely he knew what his dad thought and wanted to impress him. Kids can be like that. :cool:

Thunderknuckles
07-26-2012, 10:34 PM
More likely he knew what his dad thought and wanted to impress him. Kids can be like that. :cool:
What a thing to say Gabby!!
What grades do you teach again?
I can understand if your view is based on teaching young children. Boys undeniably worship their fathers.
However, when I was 16 I knew damn well I was a conservative and registered Republican as soon as I was 18 despite my parents being divorced long before that to influence my decision.
By all accounts, I should be a Democrat growing up in a poor household, raised by a single mother on food stamps.
Then again, we had a little thing called "shame" back then.

AFbombloader
07-26-2012, 10:37 PM
My 15 year old just took Economics and Government in summer school to get ahead, it sparked a lot of really good conversations. A lot more about econ because I generally talk government with him.

AF :salute:

gabosaurus
07-26-2012, 10:38 PM
I can understand if your view is based on teaching young children. Boys undeniably worship their fathers.

So why are you unhappy?

When I was 16, I was in high school and didn't care much about politics. I was more interested in boys and music.

Thunderknuckles
07-26-2012, 10:49 PM
So why are you unhappy?

When I was 16, I was in high school and didn't care much about politics. I was more interested in boys and music.
Not unhappy at all. Just a little surprised you have so little faith in a 16 year old having the ability to think on their own and attributing this to nothing more than a father's influence.
I think you are undercutting the intelligence of a young man hence my question about which grade of children you teach. This can be answered simply of course.
Without looking up your post history, I will venture to say you don't teach teenagers. If you do, then I will be unhappy.

gabosaurus
07-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Not unhappy at all. Just a little surprised you have so little faith in a 16 year old having the ability to think on their own and attributing this to nothing more than a father's influence.
I think you are undercutting the intelligence of a young man hence my question about which grade of children you teach. This can be answered simply of course.
Without looking up your post history, I will venture to say you don't teach teenagers. If you do, then I will be unhappy.

I am a high school counselor. I deal with teenagers every day.
I have a lot of faith in 16 year olds being able to think on their own. The majority of them are extremely intelligent.
At the same times, kids are a product of their environment. No matter what he believes personally, a kid who knows his father has strong political views is going to want to impress his father. It's not a knock against the kid.
I was the same way. When I was younger, I gravitated to all the boy bands and cute singers that other girls of my age group were into. But when I discovered that my dad was more into punk and metal bands, my music tastes shifted in that direction.

Thunderknuckles
07-26-2012, 11:11 PM
I am a high school counselor. I deal with teenagers every day.
I have a lot of faith in 16 year olds being able to think on their own. The majority of them are extremely intelligent.
At the same times, kids are a product of their environment. No matter what he believes personally, a kid who knows his father has strong political views is going to want to impress his father. It's not a knock against the kid.
I was the same way. When I was younger, I gravitated to all the boy bands and cute singers that other girls of my age group were into. But when I discovered that my dad was more into punk and metal bands, my music tastes shifted in that direction.
Although my own experience differs from yours, I respect your reply.

I guess I should change my mood to unhappy now? :p

gabosaurus
07-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Although my own experience differs from yours, I respect your reply.
I guess I should change my mood to unhappy now? :p

Nah, if you are married or in a relationship, you know what it's like to have to concede your point to a woman. :cool:

Thunderknuckles
07-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Nah, if you are married or in a relationship, you know what it's like to have to concede your point to a woman. :cool:
Don't push it!!
:slap:

07-26-2012, 11:37 PM
If he is interested. Make sure he builds his character. Heck, encourage him to do that anyway. Im sure you probably already have:)

Trinity
07-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Actually he thinks his dad's an asshole, and has no desire to impress him.

Gaffer
07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Actually he thinks his dad's an asshole, and has no desire to impress him.

That's an understatement.

aboutime
07-27-2012, 09:57 PM

How odd is that? My oldest grandson is a sharp little fella. Only 10, but he pays attention to people, and listens intently to everything they say...and don't say. In fact. At only 10, soon to be 11 in September. He has asked his daddy, and even me...His Pop why people like Obama NEVER seem to answer questions?
He knows I have no time for Obama. But when he is here. I always try to keep my political feelings in check because I know...He will confront me the same way he would Obama.
We have a long standing pact that I will NEVER lie to him, and he is the same way.
He already has plans for college, and it wouldn't surprise me if he did become a Politician. But he has yet to learn How expensive, and dangerous that can be.

In any event. If a 10 year old boy who can type, speak both English and Spanish, and is a whiz at Math that even I am amazed at, CAN see that Obama is a Liar as I see him as a Liar.
Does anyone wonder? How many millions of other young children question the same things?

Noir
07-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Do you guys get the show 'The Thick of It' aired in the states? If so I'd say it's a must watch, gives a real insight into how politics operates, your son would enjoy it given his current line if thought, though it'd also challenge it reasonably.

Though I will say that (true to nature) the language is vulgar, so if you're sensitive to f words, c words, and rants were 80% of the words used are profanities, then stay away.

taft2012
07-28-2012, 06:58 AM

Ha, next you should introduce your son to videos of Ted Kennedy tip toeing around direct questions.

He could see the equivalent of Obama's evasions, but now punctuated with innumerable "er uh" and "er ummm" bits to the point of complete incoherence, and liberals wetting themselves with rapture in response.