PDA

View Full Version : More demands to bow to Islam's beliefs!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-28-2012, 10:57 AM
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/27/12994919-talks-ongoing-to-allow-saudi-judo-fighter-to-compete-wearing-hijab

By NBC News staff and wire services
Olympic and Saudi Arabian officials are in talks with judo chiefs to find a solution after the sport's governing body ruled the Saudi's female competitor would have to fight without a hijab, or Islamic headscarf.

On Thursday, the head of the International Judo Federation (IJF) president Marius Vizer confirmed Wodjan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shaherkani, one of the first two female athletes sent to the Olympics by the conservative Muslim kingdom, would not be allowed to wear a hijab.

Shaherkani is due to compete in the women's heavyweight tournament next Friday, and her participation could now be in doubt.

"We still have one week. She is still scheduled to compete, there's no information that she won't compete," IJF spokesman Nicolas Messner told Reuters. "We still have time."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He said talks were underway between the Saudi Arabian National Olympic Committee, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the IJF to attempt to resolve the issue.

He did not elaborate on how this could be achieved but said there was "very good collaboration."

IOC spokesman Mark Adams confirmed there had been a meeting on Thursday.

"It was a positive discussion and we are confident a solution will be found," he said. Asked what that solution would be, he said: "There are a range of options."

No one from the Saudi delegation could be reached for comment.

However, a Saudi official had told Reuters earlier this month they expected that the women would have to obey the dress code of Islamic law. He did not elaborate, but other conservative Muslim countries have interpreted this to mean a headscarf, long sleeves and long pants.

Vizer told reporters that Shaherkani would fight according to "the principle and spirit of judo" and thus without a headscarf.

Change whatever opposes Islam is always their demand. Which usually happens because appeasement has become the West's new God. How about they either obey the rules and traditions of the things they choose to participate in or else don't participate in those things! What a shocking ideal, eh?-Tyr

Thunderknuckles
07-28-2012, 11:13 AM
What exactly are the clothing rules in this Olympic event?
Does this all revolve around wearing a headscarf?

jimnyc
07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
What exactly are the clothing rules in this Olympic event?
Does this all revolve around wearing a headscarf?

It falls on a safety issue apparently, and according to the OC. The clothing could perhaps cause injury if not conforming to their rules. But their own precedent has allowed for it previously.

LONDON (AP) -- A competitor from Saudi Arabia, who is one of the country's first female athletes ever selected for the Olympics, will not be allowed to wear a headscarf during competition, the International Judo Federation said.

President Marius Vizer ruled that "according to the principles and spirit of judo," Wojdan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani could not fight with a headscarf.

Judo officials said they were very proud their sport was one of the first to welcome a Saudi female competitor, but announced on the eve of the London Games that she would not be allowed to fight with a headscarf even though the federation has not banned women from covering their hair before.

Federation spokesman Nicolas Messner said the decision was made due to safety concerns.

"In judo we use strangleholds and chokeholds so the hijab could be dangerous," Messner said, adding that the Japanese martial art does not recognize differences in things like politics or religion.

"The only difference between competitors should be their level of judo," Messner said.

Asian judo federations have previously allowed Muslim women to wear headscarves during major competitions, but Messner said the IJF had decided against it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/headscarf-ruling-may-threaten-saudi-151349978--oly.html

Thunderknuckles
07-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks Jim.
It looks like the rules are still evolving with respect to head wear.
My own opinion is that it would put someone at a disadvantage wearing a headscarf. It's just one more thing to grab a hold of and use as leverage.
I'm almost of the opinion to let her wear a headscarf to see what happens but if the committee rules that it is not allowed, then no headscarves.

jimnyc
07-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks Jim.
It looks like the rules are still evolving with respect to head wear.
My own opinion is that it would put someone at a disadvantage wearing a headscarf. It's just one more thing to grab a hold of and use as leverage.
I'm almost of the opinion to let her wear a headscarf to see what happens but if the committee rules that it is not allowed, then no headscarves.

Whether the times changing or the equipment changing with it, or perhaps the better fighting involved. I do think it's fair to expect the exact same dressing from all participants. The only thing I would like to see addressed from the IOC is specifically why it was allowed previously and what has changed to not allow it currently. Like I said, IMO, it can be used against these women both to gain an advantage and perhaps to injure them.

jafar00
07-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Once again, a woman's right to cover herself modestly is being denied.

jimnyc
07-28-2012, 02:57 PM

Jafar, with respect, there are going to be times where it makes more sense not to wear the veil or burqa. Doesn't it make sense, within international games where safety should be paramount, that they err on the side of caution if a part of someones dressing could injure them during the course of their event? I could see if it was for no reason other than it's "not part of a uniform", or that they just don't like it, but they seem to think they are protecting these women.

And I could be wrong, but I haven't seen these women complain that they needed to dress this way, or that they were angry with the decision. Up till now, the only complaint, or should I say demand, has come from their government.

aboutime
07-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Rules are Rules. The Olympic committee Rules are for ALL of the contestants, and the origin of the contestants in the games is designed to be Non-partisan.

If any nation with contestants does not like the rules, or cannot abide by the rules. Then, they should remove their contestants from the games.

Simple remedy. Like Truth. Always wins.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Rules are Rules. The Olympic committee Rules are for ALL of the contestants, and the origin of the contestants in the games is designed to be Non-partisan.

If any nation with contestants does not like the rules, or cannot abide by the rules. Then, they should remove their contestants from the games.

Simple remedy. Like Truth. Always wins.

Jafar just stated that they must let the muslim woman dress as religious law commands-that's Sharia law mind you. Yet again Islam demands the world changes to it's religious law!!!!!!!!!!!!-Tyr

revelarts
07-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Um, Ok.

my 1st thought.

is this really an international incident worth commenting on.I mean is this going hurt anybody either way?

If the Olympics keep the rule then she has to decide whether or not she is going to compete or not. it's her choice.

the Olympics are not bound to change the rule though. it's not an affront to Islam or the Saudi's it just the rules.

Anyone remember the film Chariots of Fire.
the 1920 sumthing Olympic games the Christan athlete did not want to run on Sunday. He requested a date change they refused. And he was going to forgo the privilege of running until it was suggested that he run a different race, on Saturday.

there's no need to turn this current issue into an excuse for another clash of world views, If everyone keeps their heads.

It's not Sharia law being imposed on the Olympics or the local school girls. THAT would be a problem.

this other, not really. Freedom of religion.

Trigg
07-28-2012, 06:56 PM

I have not heard that it is the woman who is insisting on the dress code. It is the MALE DOMINATED gov. that is demanding she cover up.

Islam wants a woman to dress modestly, it does not demand she wear the burqa or hijab. That demand comes from the men in charge.

aboutime
07-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Jafar just stated that they must let the muslim woman dress as religious law commands-that's Sharia law mind you. Yet again Islam demands the world changes to it's religious law!!!!!!!!!!!!-Tyr

Don't know any other way to say it. So. I'll just share my thoughts about what jafar can do on this, and any other matter related to the so-called Religion of Peace he talks about incessantly here.

And that Only Way is. EAT MY SHORTS. It's much more gentle than telling him to Kiss my....

jafar00
07-29-2012, 11:59 PM
I have not heard that it is the woman who is insisting on the dress code. It is the MALE DOMINATED gov. that is demanding she cover up.

Islam wants a woman to dress modestly, it does not demand she wear the burqa or hijab. That demand comes from the men in charge.

You haven't met any Muslim women have you? While I agree that it is wrong for government or anyone to force a woman to wear hijab, to assume she does so because she is forced is wrong.

By insisting she remove it is just as bad as the Taliban forcing the burka on women. It's the same extremism.

Don't know any other way to say it. So. I'll just share my thoughts about what jafar can do on this, and any other matter related to the so-called Religion of Peace he talks about incessantly here.

And that Only Way is. EAT MY SHORTS. It's much more gentle than telling him to Kiss my....

You are so aggressive. You need to relax. Might I suggest a nice cup of tea and a blanket?

jimnyc
07-30-2012, 09:54 AM
You haven't met any Muslim women have you? While I agree that it is wrong for government or anyone to force a woman to wear hijab, to assume she does so because she is forced is wrong.

By insisting she remove it is just as bad as the Taliban forcing the burka on women. It's the same extremism.

What if a Muslim woman should get a job at a machine shop. In the USA, you simply cannot wear scarves, hats, jewelry and anything else at all that might get caught up in the machines, for safety reasons. If a company should tell a Muslim woman that she cannot wear the same because it may cause injury, and this applies to all "participants", would it be wrong? Would it be extremism? There is really no difference. Just like the NFL, where they are coming up with more and more rules each year in order to protect the participants. Safety is becoming priority #1.

And to say that the IOC denying women the ability to wear a headdress that may get them injured, is the same as the Taliban - THAT is an extremist point of view.

red state
07-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Let's not forget how WE must work around muSLUMs when it comes to firefighter safety. No, you either follow the rules are not. Nobody is forcing anyone to be Christian or even a militant atheist but if you're gonna work in areas where safety is an issue....you MUST follow the rules. That's one of the biggest, if not the biggest problem with the CULT of is-SLUM...its intolerance.

gabosaurus
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
And that Only Way is. EAT MY SHORTS.

Sounds like a friend has already started on that for you. :p

http://www.omgsoysauce.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/gay-guy-in-booty-shorts.jpg

jafar00
07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
What if a Muslim woman should get a job at a machine shop. In the USA, you simply cannot wear scarves, hats, jewelry and anything else at all that might get caught up in the machines, for safety reasons. If a company should tell a Muslim woman that she cannot wear the same because it may cause injury, and this applies to all "participants", would it be wrong? Would it be extremism? There is really no difference. Just like the NFL, where they are coming up with more and more rules each year in order to protect the participants. Safety is becoming priority #1.

And to say that the IOC denying women the ability to wear a headdress that may get them injured, is the same as the Taliban - THAT is an extremist point of view.

How many women, let alone Muslim women do you know that are trying to get a job in a machine shop?

jafar00
07-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Here are some notable Muslim women competing at sports they love.

Waroud Sawalha from Palestine

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/555501_371248072945711_1715549854_n.jpg

Ibtihaj Mohamed from USA

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/385450_422641517778097_2036885875_n.jpg

They have the right to compete without giving up their faith to do so do they not?

jimnyc
07-30-2012, 02:55 PM
How many women, let alone Muslim women do you know that are trying to get a job in a machine shop?

You would be surprised, seriously. In America, women have equal opportunity for all jobs, and you see them more and more working on the roads and in construction, laying cement and cutting sheetmetal, and yes, many women working in factories using heavy machinery. And man or woman, regardless of faith, would need to abide by very strict regulations when using things that could lead to injury or worse.

jimnyc
07-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Here are some notable Muslim women competing at sports they love.

Waroud Sawalha from Palestine

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/555501_371248072945711_1715549854_n.jpg

Ibtihaj Mohamed from USA

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/385450_422641517778097_2036885875_n.jpg

They have the right to compete without giving up their faith to do so do they not?

None of those women are engaging in a sport with close combat and the allowance of grabbing the other persons uniform in a manner to defeat the opponent. Absolutely though, if no risk of injury in other events, they should be allowed - AND ARE in those events.

aboutime
07-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a friend has already started on that for you. :p

http://www.omgsoysauce.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/gay-guy-in-booty-shorts.jpg

First time I've seen Obama with long hair, and a Beard.

gabosaurus
07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Obama didn't post here earlier inviting another male poster to eat his shorts.
And what comes that, eat what is inside your shorts? ("What? Vienna sausage again?"

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 10:30 AM
The IOC has caved. Curiously though, what if this woman wanted to be a diver? Would it be mandatory for her to still wear the hijab? Are women literally told they aren't allowed to be athletes in certain sports? Women themselves will bar themselves from so many sports where it wouldn't be feasible for them to have anything on their heads at all?

LONDON (Reuters) - A female Saudi fighter will take part in the Olympic judo competition after being allowed to wear an Islamic headscarf, or hijab, of a specific design, officials said on Monday.

Wojdan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shaherkani is one of only two Saudi women to travel to London after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) lobbied the conservative Islamic kingdom to end its refusal to send women to the Games.

But she had said she would only compete if she was allowed to wear the hijab, and judo officials refused, saying it would be dangerous.

A Saudi National Olympic Committee spokeswoman said the committee, the IOC and the International Judo Federation (IJF) had now agreed on an acceptable form for the headscarf.

"They agreed on a design and she will compete wearing this design," Razan Baker said, adding that she did not know how this design looked.

IJF spokesman Nicolas Messner confirmed that Shaherkani would compete, but declined to give further details.

The IOC this year successfully pressed Saudi Arabia and fellow Muslim nations Qatar and Brunei, the last three countries to refuse to send women to the Olympics, to end their bans.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/saudi-woman-allowed-compete-hijab-214052258--spt.html

fj1200
07-31-2012, 12:21 PM
The IOC has caved.

There shouldn't be conflict between religion and competition.