PDA

View Full Version : London Olympics pauses to honor dead Brits, not Israelis

jimnyc
07-28-2012, 01:39 PM
There's been a bit of controversy leading up to the Olympics opening ceremony, about remembering the Israeli athletes killed at the Olympics 40 years ago. The broadcast simply wanted to have a moment/minute of silence, but no matter how many times and ways the IOC was asked, they continually denied the request, that the games were about unity and what not. But then why was it not an issue to do the same for the British killed in attacks in the subway system? Sounds like once again, the PC crowd is too afraid to touch an issue concerning Israel. But you know what, it need not be political, it's simply the Olympics and the athletes paying their respects for athletes that were killed. This should have been about the innocent people murdered. The same as the innocent people murdered in the subway system, which I have no issue with them doing so for that event either.

In the worst decision of the Opening Ceremony, the International Olympic Committee allowed one moment of silence to be held - just not the one that it should have permitted for the past 40 years.

After saying there would be no moment of silence to honor the 11 Israeli athletes and coaches who were killed at the 1972 Munich Olympics, the IOC permitted a video tribute to the 52 people who were killed in the suicide bombings in the London transit system the day after the city won the Games in 2005.

That was kind, and fitting, but it only served to highlight the extraordinarily bad judgment the IOC has shown in the matter of the Israelis, who were killed simply because they were Olympians living in the Olympic village. As has been the case for 40 years, the IOC recently refused repeated requests from world leaders and families to honor the Israelis, including President Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and leaders of Canada, Australia, Israel and Germany, among others.

They all knew last week that there would once again be no tribute in the Opening Ceremony. But then came this other moment of silence. Talk about a slap in the face. The IOC has steadfastly tried to forget the horror of Munich, and here was another example of their reprehensible oversight by honoring some, but not all.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/story/2012-07-27/London-Olympics-Israelis-Munich-moment-of-silence/56545088/1

Kathianne
07-28-2012, 01:44 PM
They have never acknowledged those young people, who only had wanted to compete. Sort of like the holocaust deniers.

Mr. P
07-28-2012, 03:14 PM
I think it's only appropriate to pause a moment for the athletes of the current Games and ALL those athletes who have passed during the games of the past. Just seems like the right thing to do IMO.

In the pursuit of an Olympic gold medal athletes often push themselves to their physical limits. In some cases this has led to death. As you will see below, there are also other tragic fatalities of athletes while attending the Olympic Games. There have also been four athletes who have lost their lives during the Winter Games.

http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/deaths.htm

jimnyc
07-28-2012, 03:18 PM
I think it's only appropriate to pause a moment for the athletes of the current Games and ALL those athletes who have passed during the games of the past. Just seems like the right thing to do IMO.

http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/deaths.htm

I can go along with this. I suppose it makes sense to honor the deaths of ALL and not just those on a given year of for a given reason.

Dilloduck
07-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Or they can have a moment of silence for everyone in the world who died in the past 4 years who wanted to be an athlete.

Enough of the drama--on with the games.