PDA

View Full Version : First gun

Trigg
07-28-2012, 06:51 PM
My youngest just turned ten and hubby got him his first gun. Actually it's an air rifle, but it's probably as powerful as a 22.

He LOVES IT!!!

He's been out shooting cans every night since he got it.

jimnyc
07-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Good for him and good for you guys! Take some pictures for us! Love to see the young'ens learning!

Anton Chigurh
07-28-2012, 06:59 PM
My youngest just turned ten and hubby got him his first gun. Actually it's an air rifle, but it's probably as powerful as a 22.

He LOVES IT!!!

He's been out shooting cans every night since he got it.Not even in the neighborhood.

Air rifles are a great way to learn gun safety and responsibility.

Nukeman
07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Not even in the neighborhood.

Air rifles are a great way to learn gun safety and responsibility.Actually its a crossman Quest 1000. It shoots at 1000 fps single break barrel. Its not a bb gun it uses .177 pellets.

He is actually a pretty good shot, hin and his older brother who is 14 are both good shots, I always start them on a single shot due to them having to take time and aim and not waste a bunch of shots trying to hit something, when they only have one shot it makes them take their time, however my 14 year old will crank through 200 rounds in quick afternoon.....

its a little hard for him to break and cock but he puts 2 hands into it and does a pretty good job. Heres a pic of it

Anton Chigurh
07-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Actually its a crossman Quest 1000. It shoots at 1000 fps single break barrel. Its not a bb gun it uses .177 pellets.

He is actually a pretty good shot, hin and his older brother who is 14 are both good shots, I always start them on a single shot due to them having to take time and aim and not waste a bunch of shots trying to hit something, when they only have one shot it makes them take their time, however my 14 year old will crank through 200 rounds in quick afternoon.....

its a little hard for him to break and cock but he puts 2 hands into it and does a pretty good job. Heres a pic of itI have that exact air rifle!

You can get more FPS with upgrading on the pellets, lead is the slowest. But even then, still no match for .22 long rifle. That should be his next weapon to learn on - get him a Marlin 22 with the 18 round magazine and the 5 power scope. I can hit a dime at 100 years with that, very accurate.

I learned to shoot on a .410 shotgun and a Marlin 22, after a year of the Crossman pump pellet gun, which was my first "gun."

Nukeman
07-28-2012, 09:04 PM
I have that exact air rifle!

You can get more FPS with upgrading on the pellets, lead is the slowest. But even then, still no match for .22 long rifle. That should be his next weapon to learn on - get him a Marlin 22 with the 18 round magazine and the 5 power scope. I can hit a dime at 100 years with that, very accurate.

I learned to shoot on a .410 shotgun and a Marlin 22, after a year of the Crossman pump pellet gun, which was my first "gun."I have 2 remington 22lrs. Well actualy my 14 year old has the remington model 41 its a single shot made in 1913. its still a GREAT 22 that shoots true after almost 100 years of use, he got it from his grandad for his 12th birthday, Our 10 year old has shot it lots of times but the crossman is his FIRST for him.. We have a number of shotguns and 22's my last addition is my favorite. Its a Baretta gold rush by umberti in 45 long cold pump action..

Heres a pic of it. I traded a Colt Diamondback 22lr revovler for it

Nukeman
07-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I've been looking at the GSG 1911 in 22 lr. Has the same weight as the 45 but at 2-5 cents a shot vs 1.00 a shot I would rather shoot the 22 cal, besides a 22 will do a lot of damage just takes a couple more shots instead of 1 shot of 45 long colt:laugh:

here it is..

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Actually its a crossman Quest 1000. It shoots at 1000 fps single break barrel. Its not a bb gun it uses .177 pellets.

its a little hard for him to break and cock but he puts 2 hands into it and does a pretty good job. Heres a pic of it

Thats a nice air rifle. I was started shooting a 22 caliber rifle at 5 years old , used to brace the heavy thing on a barrel in our back yard and shoot tin cans placed out the edge of the field. Of course I had expert guidance from my older brothers , one was 9 and the other was 14 . By 9 I was hunting with my older brother the woods down the road from our farmhouse , by 12 allowed to hunt alone . That was back then , we were all raised on guns never shot an air rifle until I was 15 years old! I would not reccommend anybody teaching kids so young as that nowdays with real guns, however air rifles are ok .. You did well starting 'em with single shot , my first 22 was a single shot, my first shotgun, a 410 gauge was a single shot. My dad had the same ideal as you have, teach concentration and one shot hits first!
You are raising your sons well . Safety first is the right approach. Let 'em practice a few thousand rounds with the air rifles as it saves ammo costs. - :beer:-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I've been looking at the GSG 1911 in 22 lr. Has the same weight as the 45 but at 2-5 cents a shot vs 1.00 a shot I would rather shoot the 22 cal, besides a 22 will do a lot of damage just takes a couple more shots instead of 1 shot of 45 long colt:laugh:

here it is..

Nothing beats a 45 cal Kimber as a factory gun. I've owned and shot well over 60-70, 45 cal pistols and not one of them out performed the 45 cal Kimber IMHO!
Best 22 automatic rifle I ever had was the Remington model 992 Deluxe. Traded it for a good 38 revolver and a single shot breechload Mossberg 12 gauge 30inch full choke. Was a damn fine squirrel gun. -Tyr

Anton Chigurh
07-28-2012, 10:16 PM
And the pellet rifle in post 4 isn't a air rifle, it's spring propelled. This is why it's so hard to cock.

gabosaurus
07-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Well, that's wonderful. When will you be buying your kids their first condoms? Better to be safe than sorry.

Last fall, one of our middle schools had a couple of 12 year olds that were arrested for shooting out several car windows with pellet guns. Their parents were outraged that police would place cuffs on 12 year olds and take them to jail. Then they didn't want to pay damages because "everyone has insurance on their cars." The parents didn't even think their kids did anything wrong, since they were "just being kids."
Of course, the parents of one of the kids did a total 180 during winter break. Seems as though one of the kids got hit in the eye. They lawyered up and were not taking any "they were just kids" arguments. They wanted the shooter arrested. Who happened to be a 10 year old girl.

hjmick
07-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Well, that's wonderful. When will you be buying your kids their first condoms? Better to be safe than sorry.

Last fall, one of our middle schools had a couple of 12 year olds that were arrested for shooting out several car windows with pellet guns. Their parents were outraged that police would place cuffs on 12 year olds and take them to jail. Then they didn't want to pay damages because "everyone has insurance on their cars." The parents didn't even think their kids did anything wrong, since they were "just being kids."
Of course, the parents of one of the kids did a total 180 during winter break. Seems as though one of the kids got hit in the eye. They lawyered up and were not taking any "they were just kids" arguments. They wanted the shooter arrested. Who happened to be a 10 year old girl.

It's all about how they're raised...

gabosaurus
07-28-2012, 11:56 PM
It's all about how they're raised...

Exactly. That's why I am worried. :eek:

jimnyc
07-29-2012, 06:16 AM

Tsk, tsk, into rant in another thread! LOL

I was taught how to shoot my first pellet gun pistol and crossman air rifle when I was somewhere between 8-11 I think. Not once did I even remotely think of using outside of Dad's view, let alone on other cars! My parenting was correct, and such that I TRULY knew right from wrong, and also knew an ass beating would come if I ever played with weapons as toys. They stayed packed away until we got to whatever destination. Then Dad handled them in their respective boxes and pouches until we go to the shooting area. Even then, they sat idle until Dad said it was clear to carefully load pellets or BB's and hole the gun towards the ground. Then we would move forward and carefully aim for whatever our targets were. Safety was ALWAYS first. Even at 10yrs old kids are more than old enough to know you simply don't play around with a weapon.

And quite frankly, I think it's parents that look at them as evil, and right away assume kids will use them for trouble, that should not be teaching kids about guns. They have the wrong idea and mindset right from the get go. A parent should be positive about the experience. A parent should take the lead and ensure their kids don't even think about what you wrote. They teach safety and they teach consequences as well, and what could perhaps happen if they do something incorrectly even just one time.

Even as nutty as I am on so many subjects in life, I still maintain that safety that was taught to me, and I've always remained aware that they weren't toy and there were serious consequences to be faced if I ignore everything I was taught.

Trigg
07-29-2012, 08:43 AM

my kids all have their own guns and are always supervised when shooting. They know guns ar not toys, they're taught to respect them and the damage they can do. Gun safety is important. I was raised around guns, as was hubby, and I have a healthy respect for them.

As far as your story. If my kids were ever stupid enough to do something like that THEY would pay the damages and loose their guns. Of course since my kids are always supervised I don't see that happening.

Nukeman
07-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Of course, the parents of one of the kids did a total 180 during winter break. Seems as though one of the kids got hit in the eye. They lawyered up and were not taking any "they were just kids" arguments. They wanted the shooter arrested. Who happened to be a 10 year old girl.YOU are a piece of shit sometimes gabs. My children would NEVEFR damage someone elses property let alone injure someone. Unlike you stupid ass liberals I teach my boys and daughter personal responsibility. YOU know that concept that if you do something you own it and you take RESPONSIBILITY for it unlike you and others who think as you we feel everyone should pay for their own mistakes. My children would give you the shirt off thier backs if you needed it, they hold doors for EVERYONE, they give up thier seat for women and elderly, they help whenever its needed, in simple words gabs they take care of others and are respectful of others. They are what you and your loberal bretheren could only hope to aspire to become.. Sad that my 10 year old has more responsiblity than you do and takes his actions more seriously than most liberals..

so kindly go fuck yourself gabs..... I mean that in the nicest way possible.... NOW GUIT DERAILING THREADS WITH YOUR PERSONAL AGENDA OF STUPIDITY!!!!

Nukeman
07-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Exactly. That's why I am worried. :eek:YOU have no idea how my children are raised, none at all they are all VERY good students and outstanding young people. How dare you question the raising of our children when you know NOTHING about them.

Nukeman
07-29-2012, 09:09 AM

jimnyc
07-29-2012, 10:12 AM
YOU are a piece of shit sometimes gabs. My children would NEVEFR damage someone elses property let alone injure someone. Unlike you stupid ass liberals I teach my boys and daughter personal responsibility. YOU know that concept that if you do something you own it and you take RESPONSIBILITY for it unlike you and others who think as you we feel everyone should pay for their own mistakes. My children would give you the shirt off thier backs if you needed it, they hold doors for EVERYONE, they give up thier seat for women and elderly, they help whenever its needed, in simple words gabs they take care of others and are respectful of others. They are what you and your loberal bretheren could only hope to aspire to become.. Sad that my 10 year old has more responsiblity than you do and takes his actions more seriously than most liberals..

so kindly go fuck yourself gabs..... I mean that in the nicest way possible.... NOW GUIT DERAILING THREADS WITH YOUR PERSONAL AGENDA OF STUPIDITY!!!!

That's my major problem with Gabby sometimes. She doesn't like gun, and gives examples as to why. But then she immediately condemns YOUR actions based on, well based on nothing.

cadet
07-29-2012, 11:33 AM
That's my major problem with Gabby sometimes. She doesn't like gun, and gives examples as to why. But then she immediately condemns YOUR actions based on, well based on nothing.

But hey, Guns kill people!
(Just like spoons make people fat :laugh:)

gabosaurus
07-31-2012, 06:48 PM
YOU are a piece of shit sometimes gabs. My children would NEVEFR damage someone elses property let alone injure someone. Unlike you stupid ass liberals I teach my boys and daughter personal responsibility. YOU know that concept that if you do something you own it and you take RESPONSIBILITY for it unlike you and others who think as you we feel everyone should pay for their own mistakes. My children would give you the shirt off thier backs if you needed it, they hold doors for EVERYONE, they give up thier seat for women and elderly, they help whenever its needed, in simple words gabs they take care of others and are respectful of others. They are what you and your loberal bretheren could only hope to aspire to become.. Sad that my 10 year old has more responsiblity than you do and takes his actions more seriously than most liberals..

Ummm.... I think MOST parents believe their kids would never damage another person's property. And most probably teach their kids the basic values of decency and personal responsibility.
But I have worked with kids enough to know that sometimes they go off on tangents and forget everything they are taught.
It's not the parents fault. It's the age old problem of kids rebelling.

http://www.wtae.com/news/local/westmoreland/Youngwood-boy-gets-sent-to-room-shoots-at-neighbor-s-house/-/10932546/15833660/-/tq45boz/-/index.html

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 07:09 PM

Ummm.... I think MOST parents believe their kids would never damage another person's property. And most probably teach their kids the basic values of decency and personal responsibility.
But I have worked with kids enough to know that sometimes they go off on tangents and forget everything they are taught.

Other kids messing around with guns, against the teachings of their parents, does certainly not make it wrong for Nuke to teach his child how to shoot and to be responsible. Your first knee jerk reaction was to condemn him for doing so, and it would appear you did so based on the extreme minority of kids that do run afoul with guns. There was no reason whatsoever to condemn a parent for teaching their child how to shoot properly.

Nukeman
07-31-2012, 08:56 PM
It's not the parents fault. It's the age old problem of kids rebelling.

http://www.wtae.com/news/local/westmoreland/Youngwood-boy-gets-sent-to-room-shoots-at-neighbor-s-house/-/10932546/15833660/-/tq45boz/-/index.html
Ummm NO Gabs my children would NOT shoot at anything other than a target or intended game... Thats it.. PERIOD... I don't just work with kids I live and interact with them every day and night.. I know my kids....

My wife and I keep OPEN communication with our kids at all times, sometimes I am amazed at what they tell us but we NEVER judge and ALWAYS are there with advice and help.. That little miss counselor is why I KNOW my children would NEVER shoot at someones windows or go ape shit against our wishes.. maybe if you spent a little time in GOOD schools with parents that actualy take interest in the lives of their children you wouldn't have such a shitty outlook on parenthood and childhood....

gabosaurus
07-31-2012, 09:44 PM
My wife and I keep OPEN communication with our kids at all times, sometimes I am amazed at what they tell us but we NEVER judge and ALWAYS are there with advice and help.. That little miss counselor is why I KNOW my children would NEVER shoot at someones windows or go ape shit against our wishes.. maybe if you spent a little time in GOOD schools with parents that actualy take interest in the lives of their children you wouldn't have such a shitty outlook on parenthood and childhood....

I commend you for this. My parents were the same way. There wasn't much I couldn't talk about with my mom and dad. My parents were strict, but fair. We didn't get allowances, but still had to do chores. Because that is how our family worked. We were not automatically granted privileges. We had to earn them. Which is why neither of us ever made a grade below a B. We didn't have our own computers. No personal phones, TVs or game systems.
At the same time, we wanted to be popular. My sister, being the oldest (four years older than me), but very polite and well behaved. Never had a problem in school. But she was rebellious and wanted what she wanted. Which is why she did a couple of things that got her into huge trouble. Not with the law, but with my parents.
I never lied to my parents. But I never confessed certain things, either. I didn't tell them about drinking, having sex or sneaking out few times.

I am sure it would be MUCH easier to work in great schools like the one my daughter goes to. But I want to work with the kids in the neighborhood I grew up in. Because they need people who understand them.

PostmodernProphet
08-01-2012, 06:57 AM

in both cases it's all about teaching them where and when to point their guns.....

sundaydriver
08-01-2012, 08:28 PM
I never had a first "gun"! My first RIFLE was given to me by my DI when I was 12 I believe. I learned to fire a rifle a few years earlier instructed in the Marine Corp teachings of weapon usage & safety.

But anways, it was a Mossberg 44M -b model .22 caliber, bolt action, with open sites.

48 years later it is currently leaning against the corner hutch in the kitchen where I have used it to dispose of my neighbors pet groundhogs that wander onto my property thiis summer.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4kU0XCVey_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>