PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple

jimnyc
07-28-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm a bit tongue twisted after reading this article. I am REALLY curious and anxious to hear what others think about this.

They had booked their wedding far in advance. The invitations had been sent, the programs printed. But one day before Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were to be married at the Mississippi church they frequented, they said a pastor told them they would have to find another venue -- because they were black.

There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.

Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.

"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.

Outrage over the wedding's forced relocation swept the Jackson suburb of about 5,000 into a media firestorm.

The vast majority of Crystal Springs residents, blacks and whites alike, were "blown away" by the church's decision, said Theresa Norwood, 48, who was born in Crystal Springs and has lived there her entire life.

Norwood said she believes Weatherford should have married the Wilsons regardless of the risk to his job.

"That church was their home," she said. "What would Jesus have done? He would have married them, without a doubt, because it's the right thing to do. We're all God's children."

While the Wilsons were not members of the church, they often attended services there, and Te'Andrea's uncle is an employee of the church, and her father is a member. Charles Wilson told WAPT that the couple had planned to join as members after their wedding, which was held July 20.

Weatherford told WLBT-TV in Jackson that he would have liked to marry the couple as planned, but he decided to perform the ceremony elsewhere as a compromise to ensure that the Wilsons could be married while "addressing a need within our congregation."

http://news.yahoo.com/mississppi-church-refuses-marry-black-couple-205218322--abc-news-topstories.html

revelarts
07-28-2012, 08:12 PM
pitiful.

fj1200
07-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I am REALLY curious and anxious to hear what others think about this.

Such is their right... idiots.

I bet the church would be in breach of contract though.

red state
07-28-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't know where Crystal Springs is in Mississippi but it is crystal clear to me that they were wrong and they need to get their hearts RIGHT. At our church, there are several mixed marriages of all types and the only requirements within our creed is that the proposed couple can NOT be unequally yoked (meaning that a Christian and a non-Christian can not use the Church building). There are other prohibitions that the pastor covers through counseling but race is not among the requirements and neither is the mixing of race (other than the pastor preparing them for the identity issues and other pressures that ANY community will impose upon them). Gay marriage....NOPE. NO WAY. The Jewish/Christian Word of God is CLEAR on this issue. We recognize all other marriages though....just don't allow the use of the church building under the above restriction.

The church will probably split and the true Christians will find a much better church I'm sure. Hadn't heard this story. Thanks!

All I can say is some people! 3774

red state
07-28-2012, 10:44 PM
I read the rest and from a different source and it will undoubtedly cause the church to split. Had those bigots proposed a vote to 'dismiss' the pastor, it would probably be like my mom and dads "former" church. There, a few didn't like the pastor preaching on smoking or something like that and he apparently got pretty detailed about it and pressed it. Anyway, those trying to oust him pulled in folks from all over who had not been to church in over 15 years. They all showed up the Sunday of the vote and did indeed vote the pastor OUT. Those who stood by the pastor left when he left and our church has grown substantially because of it. Thank God we have the wisdom to prevent something like this. In our church, you have to have attended faithfully before being able to vote or hold office such as deacon or Sunday school teacher. We're pretty blessed at our church and we've done some miraculous things for the community and world wide. There's not many good churches out there so if any of you guys out there are blessed enough to be a part of one, defend her and the pastor with every bit of might that God has given you. We had well over 20 Mexican Southern Baptists use our facility to be baptized. They had their own church but no place to "Dunk" the new Christians from Mexico. It was a joyful event and had they not had their own church, would have been MIGHT welcome to join ours. I live here in the South and mixed races get along better than anywhere that I've ever been. I'm sure the evil of racism is around (somewhere) but it seems more prevalent in the deep South of Florida and the North. And don't even get me on the Cess coast...those guys are still killing each other. Just doesn't happen in the South...not as much anyway. And before anyone spouts off about homosexuals would be this or that...don't go there. The church is for those to here the word of God and all sinners are welcome and will be treated as one should expect to be treated within a house of worship.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/white-baptist-church-refuses-to-marry-black-couple/discrimination/2012/07/27/44772
The pastor was interviewed and supported the couple morally but as leader conceded to the bigots. He should have stood strong...and so should have the voices that was never raised. That is what is wrong with America, we are afraid to speak out against evil....like the evil that is ripping at the honorable folks at Chick-fi-la.

Last year, the Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church in Pike County, Kentucky voted to ban interracial couples from becoming church members or to worship under their roof, after one interracial couple showed up. They later rescinded that vote after great media attention.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-28-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm a bit tongue twisted after reading this article. I am REALLY curious and anxious to hear what others think about this.

http://news.yahoo.com/mississppi-church-refuses-marry-black-couple-205218322--abc-news-topstories.html

That church could not be more wrong. A christian is a christian regardless of skin color!! If a member there I would leave the church over such idiotcy. And I'd let 'em know why I was leaving!-Tyr

jimnyc
07-29-2012, 06:32 AM
My initial thoughts yesterday was that this church is disgusting, and that if I were a parishioner there, I would likely quit and go elsewhere. Especially given the fact that this was apparently planned ahead of time and given the aok that all would go as planned. And can you imagine what these folks must have felt inside their hearts when they were told it can no longer happen in their church - because they were black?

I met my wife in 1992. In late 1993 we moved in with one another, or I should say I bailed from NJ to go live with her in Virginia. The first Church we met with down there outright refused to marry us, although very polite about us, because we were "living in sin" and even went as far as to call my wife an "adulterer at the time for having sex outside of marriage. For other reasons, shortly after that we moved to NJ. We visited the church I grew up with, and made my baptism, communion and confirmation at. I also took all of my CCD course there, and my Mom worked there for about 10yrs as a secretary. One of the first things asked of me was whether or not I "belonged" to that church. I explained to them my connections. They seemed confused and said they had no record of me. I was then confused, as all those things I said were true. They then asked if I made donations at services, and whether or not I used the provided envelopes recognizing who I was when I made said donations. This was a negative of course, as I wasn't a continual church goer since my younger years. At that point it was made clear that I was not in fact a member. I was cool with things to that point, although confused. They then told us that if we took certain courses, and donated $900 to the church, that they would go ahead and marry us. The next morning we made plans to go to St. Lucia and get married on the beach by the local mayor.

So my last thought this morning, would be about gay marriage. Being so offended and what not over churches pushing people away, in a manner that leaves me shaking my head, that why should the same apply if 2 loving homosexuals approach the church. But the logical side of me knows that this is clearly against the churches teachings. But on a human level, seeing what happened to these black folks, and myself at a couple of places. And NO, I am not changing sides and I'm not advocating that churches marry everyone and anyone. It just made me think is all. The church should have that right to decide who they'll marry and this shouldn't change. Just as "customers or parishioners should be free to leave and no longer donate, a business like approach I suppose.

What a confusing and wacky country we live in at times. And as crazy as it may sound at times, at least we have the freedoms to see these types of things take place, and the freedoms to see people like this ultimately marry elsewhere.

fj1200
07-29-2012, 09:30 AM
So my last thought this morning, would be about gay marriage. Being so offended and what not over churches pushing people away, in a manner that leaves me shaking my head, that why should the same apply if 2 loving homosexuals approach the church. But the logical side of me knows that this is clearly against the churches teachings. But on a human level, seeing what happened to these black folks, and myself at a couple of places. And NO, I am not changing sides and I'm not advocating that churches marry everyone and anyone. It just made me think is all. The church should have that right to decide who they'll marry and this shouldn't change. Just as "customers or parishioners should be free to leave and no longer donate, a business like approach I suppose.

The bold is debatable (www.gaychristian101.com (http://www.gaychristian101.com/)) but the rest is how can the church remain relevant to certain groups if it constantly pushes them away?

cadet
07-29-2012, 09:48 AM
If i were the couple, i would have quickly left and found a new church. And i believe this church might be the stupidest one i've ever heard of (after the westbro baptist church)

This being said, i think people forget that churches aren't gov't. And can do as they please when it comes to their morals and who they choose to serve.

(Also, when it comes to gay marriage, it doesn't matter what the gov't says. it's all religious)

fj1200
07-29-2012, 09:50 AM
(Also, when it comes to gay marriage, it doesn't matter what the gov't says. it's all religious)

Except all those government benefits that are tied to your definition of marriage.

cadet
07-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Except all those government benefits that are tied to your definition of marriage.

I searched for scholarships, i found plenty for children of divorced parents, gays, lesbians, etc. never have i found or received any benefits for having parents. God knows how many benefits you get when your family isn't normal.

The only benefits i see are if your spouse dies you get stuff from them. Woohoo, go write a freaking Will.

jimnyc
07-29-2012, 10:05 AM
The bold is debatable (www.gaychristian101.com (http://www.gaychristian101.com/)) but the rest is how can the church remain relevant to certain groups if it constantly pushes them away?

True, it is debatable, but GENERALLY speaking, homosexuality is against the majority of the Catholic/Christian teaching. :)

fj1200
07-29-2012, 01:23 PM
True, it is debatable, but GENERALLY speaking, homosexuality is against the majority of the Catholic/Christian teaching. :)

Teaching, yes. Interpretation, debatable.

fj1200
07-29-2012, 01:28 PM
I searched for scholarships, i found plenty for children of divorced parents, gays, lesbians, etc. never have i found or received any benefits for having parents. God knows how many benefits you get when your family isn't normal.

The only benefits i see are if your spouse dies you get stuff from them. Woohoo, go write a freaking Will.

Do a little research:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/marriage-rights-benefits-30190.html

Unless you like big government favoring you and yours.

logroller
07-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Couldn't he have just married them at the back of the church?:laugh2:

Seriously though, while I don't agree with it and would be ashamed to be a member at that church, I support a church not marrying whomever for whatever reasoning. However, it should have been refused from the onset, not the day before. Pretty clear breach of contract and in a court id think the racial reasoning behind the breach would be dealt with harshly.

Little-Acorn
07-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Couldn't he have just married them at the back of the church?:laugh2:

Before or after they ride in the back of the bus to get there?

Publish the acts and opinions of this bunch of bigoted racists far and wide, and let public reactions occur as appropriate.

The pastor appears cowed by the feelings of his racist congregation. How does he feel about spending some time in a Federal prison for violating the 14th amendment?

cadet
07-29-2012, 05:49 PM

Publish the acts and opinions of this bunch of bigoted racists far and wide, and let public reactions occur as appropriate.

The pastor appears cowed by the feelings of his racist congregation. How does he feel about spending some time in a Federal prison for violating the 14th amendment?

Yes, please publish everything that's wrong with one or two christian churches...

Now yea, i agree, they deserve the publicity, but it makes the rest of us good churches look like shit. publish something bad about the mormons while your at it. And the islamic, and the jews. and, hell, go ape shit nuts on the scientology morons.

revelarts
07-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Teaching, yes. Interpretation, debatable.

everything is debatable.

the Bible clearly says Jesus Christ is the son of God but, people, even some so called Christians debate that.
the Bible clearly says people are sinners but, people, even some so called Christians debate that.
The Bible clearly says there's only one true God but, people, even some so called Christians debate that.
Heck History says George Washington was the 1st president of the United States and science says that water is wet but yes teaching and Interpretation make those debatable as well.

OK.. people can debate it all they like but it is a clear teaching of Scripture.
It's not a fuzzy area, as some areas are, it's very clear.
Homosexuality is considered an "abomination" I'm not sure how anyone that's honest can interpret "abomination" as "Maybe it's OK sometimes". But folks are free to debate it if they like.

gabosaurus
07-29-2012, 07:07 PM
I am really surprised that this is not Obama's fault for some reason. :rolleyes:

logroller
07-29-2012, 07:12 PM

Instead they went for the separate but equal colored church down the road.

jimnyc
07-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I am really surprised that this is not Obama's fault for some reason. :rolleyes:

They probably would have been more accepting of a black couple had another black man not screwed up the economy! :coffee: :laugh2: :poke:

gabosaurus
07-29-2012, 07:18 PM
They probably would have been more accepting of a black couple had another black man not screwed up the economy! :coffee: :laugh2: :poke:

:2up: :beer:

revelarts
07-29-2012, 07:43 PM
The Church thing is soo pitiful.

I'm trying to imagine the church folk who won by keeping the wedding from happening at home at night praying.

"Dear Lord thank you our good pastor did the right thing and didn't marry those black folks in our church building. Jesus Thank you keeping our Church white, at least as far as marrying is concerned anyway. Jesus bless their wedding in the lil N--- church down the road. May the love of Jesus shine on their union, Amen."

I mean what the freaking heckfire kinda Christians are they? What they did is sicking, Some Angels hurt their necks in the head shaking on this.

I'd like to think they are more likely culture Christians than serious believers.
Where Christianity is kind of an icing on the culture.

This is why when hear that a Muslim or Hindu or Catholic did XYZ i try not to jump to the conclusion that the religion condones it. It might, but this veil of cultural religion to cover traditional prejudice, political motives and various bs is ubiquitous around the world.

stinks all over.

fj1200
07-29-2012, 10:37 PM
everything is debatable.

I'd be surprised if you went looking for any other interpretations.