PDA

View Full Version : In Obama era, have race relations improved?

Shadow
07-30-2012, 01:30 AM
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Ask
Americans how race
relations have changed under their first black president and they are ready with
answers.

Ashley Ray, a white woman, hears more
people debating racial issues. "I know a lot of people who really thought we
were OK as a nation, a culture, and now they understand that we're not," she
says.

Karl Douglass, a black man, sees
stereotypes easing. "White people deal with me and my family differently," he
says.

Jose Lozano, who is Hispanic by way of
Puerto Rico, believes prejudice is emerging from the shadows. "Now the racism is
coming out," he says.

In the afterglow of Barack Obama's historic
victory, most people in the United States believed that race relations would
improve. Nearly four years later, has that dream come true? Americans have no
shortage of thoughtful opinions, and no consensus.

As the nation moves toward the multiracial future heralded by this son of an African father and white mother, the events of Obama's first term, and what people make of them, help trace the racial arc of his presidency.

Shortly before the 2008 election, 56
percent of Americans surveyed by the Gallup organization said that race
relations would improve if Obama were elected. One day after his victory, 70
percent said race relations would improve and only 10 percent predicted they
would get worse.

Just weeks after taking office, Obama said,
"There was justifiable pride on the part of the country that we had taken a step
to move us beyond some of the searing legacies of racial discrimination."

Then he joked, "But that lasted about a
day."

Or, rather, three months.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-era-race-relations-improved-122353820.html

Kathianne
07-30-2012, 01:46 AM
...Just weeks after taking office, Obama said,
"There was justifiable pride on the part of the country that we had taken a step
to move us beyond some of the searing legacies of racial discrimination."

Then he joked, "But that lasted about a
day."

Or, rather, three months.

Thanks to him and his minions castigating all disagreement with him as the race card.

Truth is, this is a president that has set civil rights 'thinking' back decades.

Those that hated before, now feel 'justified' and are to a degree absent before Obama, understood.

Those that have always been of a mind of 'best person' were slapped down and about, often called racist in same breath with those that really were prejudiced. There is an increasing number of folks that are of the mindset of 'have the name, play the game.' It's bad for the country and worse for the individuals caught up in it.

Shadow
07-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks to him and his minions castigating all disagreement with him as the race card.

Truth is, this is a president that has set civil rights 'thinking' back decades.

Those that hated before, now feel 'justified' and are to a degree absent before Obama, understood.

Those that have always been of a mind of 'best person' were slapped down and about, often called racist in same breath with those that really were prejudiced. There is an increasing number of folks that are of the mindset of 'have the name, play the game.' It's bad for the country and worse for the individuals caught up in it.

Kind of like the boy who cries wolf. You hear it enough you become desensitized to it. Similar to the way I feel now when I hear women cry misogynist. overused for all percieved slights.

Gaffer
08-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm more prejudice now than I ever was in my life. I do find myself looking at the color first and the person second. It's not good but it's the way it is because of the man in the white house and the corrupt fools that work with him. I'm seeing a bunch of black supremacists in washington and it doesn't sit well with me.

aboutime
08-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Can any of us HONESTLY say YES?

Sadly. Unless we are in fear of being labeled as RACISTS. We must be honest and admit. NO. Race relations have NOT been permitted to improve in the Obama era.
Obama, and his followers were not voting for him in 2008 because he was the most qualified man for the job.
Anyone who believes that will vote for him again in November.
If anything. Obama has become the DIVIDER he once claimed, he would never be.
But the POWER of the Office, as the first Black man to achieve the office has CORRUPTED POWER to the point. Selfishness, mixed with just the right amount of racism is now set to destroy this nation FOR ALL AMERICANS. Even those who pretend to use the HYPHENATED American terms.
Obama and the Democrats have STRANGLED Black Americans with poor educations, dressed up with Overflowing Money that Impresses, but never Improves their lives And Obama knows. As long as he and the Dems can keep Black Americans DOWN. They will always vote for him. And anyone who does not vote for Obama in November IS A RACIST.