PDA

View Full Version : Just don't understand...

darin
07-31-2012, 08:47 AM
In the locker room - I will never understand this - naked men walking around being naken. One guy, 3 feet from me, swinging around has he unloaded his duffel and dug for shaving gear. One guy was naked the whole time I was there. I'm not sure what he was doing - but as I passed to the toilet, he was naked. As I passed to the shower he was naked. He got into the shower next to me and I thought he was oddly close to the divider - could see the top of his head inches away. Wondered if he was peepin' me. As I left he was still naked.

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 08:55 AM
I had a guy in the sauna, while I am in shorts and a towel, he is butt naked. He stands up, almost directly in front of me, and starts stretching and trying to touch his toes. Yes, I saw his nekkid rear end. And I also saw something dangling, and quickly looked away, but am now scarred for life. Some people just don't care.

Kathianne
07-31-2012, 05:46 PM
I thought guys were more accepting of nakedness. At my former (wah!) gym, many of us would hit the steam or shower naked, while alone. Someone else came in? We'd grab the towel. Didn't matter if the 2nd coming in was 200lbs or 90; 85 or 22. Same thing.

Women are considerate in general. ;)

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
I thought guys were more accepting of nakedness. At my former (wah!) gym, many of us would hit the steam or shower naked, while alone. Someone else came in? We'd grab the towel. Didn't matter if the 2nd coming in was 200lbs or 90; 85 or 22. Same thing.

Women are considerate in general. ;)

Not me, never, no way now how. Simply don't want to see the "junk" from another man, not on purpose and not accidentally.

gabosaurus
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
I can't believe you guys were in the military and yet remain so insecure about your bodies. :rolleyes:

When I ran track in high school, I shared a locker room with about 50 other girls. With a few exceptions, no one had the slightest hesitation about disrobing.
Of course, women don't have junk in their trunk, either.

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
I can't believe you guys were in the military and yet remain so insecure about your bodies. :rolleyes:

When I ran track in high school, I shared a locker room with about 50 other girls. With a few exceptions, no one had the slightest hesitation about disrobing.

I wasn't military. I wasn't into disrobing/showering in front of other guys my whole life, especially in HS. I am much better at the gym now, as I will do so, and unafraid, but I still don't like it and will use a towel whenever possible, and I would hope that others would give the same courtesy!

darin
07-31-2012, 06:07 PM

I'm insecure about THEIR bodies...not mine.

:)

gabosaurus
07-31-2012, 06:15 PM
There is one area where I have always been grateful to be a female. I don't think I could ever stand up with 10 guys at urinal troughs like my dad says are at baseball stadiums and such.
I asked my husband what men do with their eyes at urinals. He replied "if you don't stare at the upper wall or ceiling, your life could be at risk." :laugh:

My brother in law told me that Mexican guys are 10 times more conscientious about such things as Anglos. If you want to find out if a Mexican guy has a weapon on him, stare at his junk at the urinal. :eek:

SassyLady
08-01-2012, 12:46 AM
My ex husband is an exhibitionist.....loves walking around naked......cause he like showing off his perfect body. He didn't care if guys looked at him because he always believed they were envious .... not lusting.

PostmodernProphet
08-01-2012, 06:51 AM
In the locker room - I will never understand this - naked men walking around being naken. One guy, 3 feet from me, swinging around has he unloaded his duffel and dug for shaving gear. One guy was naked the whole time I was there. I'm not sure what he was doing - but as I passed to the toilet, he was naked. As I passed to the shower he was naked. He got into the shower next to me and I thought he was oddly close to the divider - could see the top of his head inches away. Wondered if he was peepin' me. As I left he was still naked.

I hate to be the one to break the news to you but his intent was obvious.....you just didn't get the message, which you would have understood if it had been a woman waving her ass in your face.....

aboutime
08-01-2012, 03:13 PM
It's called being a Grown-up, adult, man, or woman. Nothing more. Nothing less. To each his/her own. If you are embarrassed in such situations. You avoid those situations.
If you must be in such situations without a choice. You MIND your own business. Do what you have to do, and LEAVE.
It's easy to do.
Much like dancing. When you dance. Nobody is really watching you dance because they are worried about other people watching them dance. When it isn't taking place at all.

When you go to a men's, or ladies room. Act like you are alone, do your thing, and LEAVE.

Abbey Marie
08-01-2012, 03:16 PM
I had a guy in the sauna, while I am in shorts and a towel, he is butt naked. He stands up, almost directly in front of me, and starts stretching and trying to touch his toes. Yes, I saw his nekkid rear end. And I also saw something dangling, and quickly looked away, but am now scarred for life. Some people just don't care.

Oh I dunno. There is a certain charm to that pose. :coffee:

jimnyc
08-01-2012, 03:19 PM
It's called being a Grown-up, adult, man, or woman. Nothing more. Nothing less. To each his/her own. If you are embarrassed in such situations. You avoid those situations.
If you must be in such situations without a choice. You MIND your own business. Do what you have to do, and LEAVE.
It's easy to do.
Much like dancing. When you dance. Nobody is really watching you dance because they are worried about other people watching them dance. When it isn't taking place at all.

When you go to a men's, or ladies room. Act like you are alone, do your thing, and LEAVE.

I hear ya, but there are certain times, in public places or places such as gyms where you pay to go, and maybe in a tiny sauna room, where there is no way to avoid certain things. It's times like that where we hope our fellow men and women will be respectful of one another, and not try and slap one another with the frank and beans!

Abbey Marie
08-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I wasn't military. I wasn't into disrobing/showering in front of other guys my whole life, especially in HS. I am much better at the gym now, as I will do so, and unafraid, but I still don't like it and will use a towel whenever possible, and I would hope that others would give the same courtesy!

I think that's what it is about- courtesy. No need to strut around like a rooster. It is also courteous to avert your eyes when someone is strutting nearby.

aboutime
08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I hear ya, but there are certain times, in public places or places such as gyms where you pay to go, and maybe in a tiny sauna room, where there is no way to avoid certain things. It's times like that where we hope our fellow men and women will be respectful of one another, and not try and slap one another with the frank and beans!

Grown-up's, adults who are confident enough NOT to always think someone is a threat to your body. Normally have no problems dealing with those kinds of situations.

That respect thing is a Two-way street kind of thing. What if, or Maybe... the other people you fear are thinking the very same things you are???

If you are threatened by such situations. You do have a choice. You can leave. That's where it ends.

jimnyc
08-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Grown-up's, adults who are confident enough NOT to always think someone is a threat to your body. Normally have no problems dealing with those kinds of situations.

That respect thing is a Two-way street kind of thing. What if, or Maybe... the other people you fear are thinking the very same things you are???

If you are threatened by such situations. You do have a choice. You can leave. That's where it ends.

I'll agree with that much, that I always have the option of walking away from something I don't want to see, and yes, that would put an end to my unhappiness with what I'm seeing. But when in a small facility, don't you think it's inappropriate for a man to bend over, full naked, dangling, back to others, in a room that is about 5'x5'? I think it's common courtesy to those you are sharing the facilities with, and maybe a self respect thing to not want to share your "balloon knot", and loose fitting frank-n-beans with others?

gabosaurus
08-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm insecure about THEIR bodies...not mine.

If you would stop comparing, you wouldn't feel so insecure. :cool:

darin
08-01-2012, 06:07 PM
If you would stop comparing, you wouldn't feel so insecure. :cool:

Contrasting...not comparing.

Trigg
08-01-2012, 06:50 PM
I've never seen women walk around naked at the Y and I hope I never do.

Honestly it would make me uncomfortable and I would probably change and get out as fast as possible. I certainly see no reason why anyone would want to strutt around infront of others unless they were advertising their assets.

my older sister who lives in Finland says Americans are puritanical when it comes to being naked. I don't disagree.

aboutime
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I'll agree with that much, that I always have the option of walking away from something I don't want to see, and yes, that would put an end to my unhappiness with what I'm seeing. But when in a small facility, don't you think it's inappropriate for a man to bend over, full naked, dangling, back to others, in a room that is about 5'x5'? I think it's common courtesy to those you are sharing the facilities with, and maybe a self respect thing to not want to share your "balloon knot", and loose fitting frank-n-beans with others?

jimnyc. I'll just stand by with what I've already said before. Through all of my 30 years in uniform, on many ships, shore stations, and as a firefighter for a short period. Not once was I ever threatened, tormented, or lured into any disgusting kind of things you talked about above.
I think you imagine, more than state factual happenings that seem to have a distorted view based on what other people may have said.
What is the problem if you are not coming in contact with the very people you are talking about? If it hasn't happened, or even...if it did. YOU are still in control. That's the difference between PROBABLY and ACTUALLY.

Dilloduck
08-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Honestly it would make me uncomfortable and I would probably change and get out as fast as possible. I certainly see no reason why anyone would want to strutt around infront of others unless they were advertising their assets.

my older sister who lives in Finland says Americans are puritanical when it comes to being naked. I don't disagree.

Well we were founded by some pretty damn conservative religious folks. Sorta makes sense.

jimnyc
08-01-2012, 07:38 PM
jimnyc. I'll just stand by with what I've already said before. Through all of my 30 years in uniform, on many ships, shore stations, and as a firefighter for a short period. Not once was I ever threatened, tormented, or lured into any disgusting kind of things you talked about above.
I think you imagine, more than state factual happenings that seem to have a distorted view based on what other people may have said.
What is the problem if you are not coming in contact with the very people you are talking about? If it hasn't happened, or even...if it did. YOU are still in control. That's the difference between PROBABLY and ACTUALLY.

I've agreed with the majority of what you wrote, but I still do think people should think of others in shared environments. What I talked about, referring to the sauna scene, is something I went through and saw with my own 2 eyes. Hell, and it's not like it was avoidable, and I DID leave when I didn't like it. But one minute I am lifting a towel to my brow, and then when I look up I am faced with a naked men bending over in front of me, not 2-3 feet away. That type of stuff is a bit much. Whether actually coming into contact or not, no one wants to see such intimate parts of another mans body. Passing by on way to lockers, or showers, or getting changed, absolutely. Nothing more than that though.

Kathianne
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM

I have seen women walking naked around my Y. I saw it as a kid, as an adult. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a rare occurrence.

aboutime
08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
I have seen women walking naked around my Y. I saw it as a kid, as an adult. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a rare occurrence.

Kathianne. Then. You must agree. If you are insulted, or bothered with the sight of other human beings at the "Y". You can voice your opinion to the management there. Or. Just leave.

I honestly believe this topic is kind of selfish, and childish since Most of us are Adults. AREN'T WE?

Kathianne
08-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Kathianne. Then. You must agree. If you are insulted, or bothered with the sight of other human beings at the "Y". You can voice your opinion to the management there. Or. Just leave.

I honestly believe this topic is kind of selfish, and childish since Most of us are Adults. AREN'T WE?

Yeah, I'll say I always averted my eyes, not keen on others waist or boobs or butts. That's me. Wasn't traumatized, for sure. Nothing to talk to management about, if I did I'm pretty certain they'd say, "Perhaps this isn't the place for you."

My much more 'elite' health club, had way more naked women. Again, I averted my eyes and got on with it. Again as I said, if I had the sauna or steam to myself, naked. If someone came in, covered. That's me.

taft2012
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM

Is it possible to remove "rep" previously given?

In this case for wasting thread space by starting one about naked men when there's a plethora of hot Olympic chicks we've yet to see?

I've been reduced to a short stack of buttons, dammit.

taft2012
08-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Again as I said, if I had the sauna or steam to myself, naked.

Naked Kathy.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Kathianne
08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Naked Kathy.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

LOL! But that's what I'm speaking about, with others eyes, (female), I covered up. I like being neked, just not around others, especially of same sex. ;)

Said1
08-02-2012, 08:23 AM

I've seen women do that a lot at the Y and other public pools, some of them had their children with them, and..... well....I think their ass-ettes might have been more welcome at Woodstock 40 yrs ago.

darin
08-02-2012, 08:37 AM
When I lived in Germany I came face-to-boob with this issue - the issue of public nudity.

While at the lake with my girlfriend, I was speaking to her well-endowed cousin, Connie. As connie was talking, she reached behind herself and un-snapped and out came probably the best-looking set of 'twins' I'd seen at the time. Large, full, and just about perfect. I was SHOCKED. I was embarassed. I was blushing. I had to decide right then and there WHERE the problem was - MY being uncomfortable, her Her? It was me. I was the problem there.

Fast forward almost 20 years now and I have to tell you, I'm WAY more liberal in that regard. Nudity is a problem for Americans because we've decided it's a problem. My kids are not hidden from nudity to the extend I was as a kid. My kids have seen mom and me nekkid - not flagrantly, but just in the course of livinging the same house and stuff happens. Mom, nor I freak the hell out when it happens. We just get on with things - with life - and dont make a big deal of it.

I hope that translates to them.

Nudity is fine. Context dictates.

A guy swinging his sack and pole 3 feet from my head? NOT COOL.

cadet
08-02-2012, 09:31 AM
When I lived in Germany I came face-to-boob with this issue - the issue of public nudity.

While at the lake with my girlfriend, I was speaking to her well-endowed cousin, Connie. As connie was talking, she reached behind herself and un-snapped and out came probably the best-looking set of 'twins' I'd seen at the time. Large, full, and just about perfect. I was SHOCKED. I was embarassed. I was blushing. I had to decide right then and there WHERE the problem was - MY being uncomfortable, her Her? It was me. I was the problem there.

Fast forward almost 20 years now and I have to tell you, I'm WAY more liberal in that regard. Nudity is a problem for Americans because we've decided it's a problem. My kids are not hidden from nudity to the extend I was as a kid. My kids have seen mom and me nekkid - not flagrantly, but just in the course of livinging the same house and stuff happens. Mom, nor I freak the hell out when it happens. We just get on with things - with life - and dont make a big deal of it.

So, they are being taught proper decency, right?
How young were they? I hope you didn't scar them for life...

Abbey Marie
08-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I've agreed with the majority of what you wrote, but I still do think people should think of others in shared environments. What I talked about, referring to the sauna scene, is something I went through and saw with my own 2 eyes. Hell, and it's not like it was avoidable, and I DID leave when I didn't like it. But one minute I am lifting a towel to my brow, and then when I look up I am faced with a naked men bending over in front of me, not 2-3 feet away. That type of stuff is a bit much. Whether actually coming into contact or not, no one wants to see such intimate parts of another mans body. Passing by on way to lockers, or showers, or getting changed, absolutely. Nothing more than that though.

Naughty bits aside, it's pretty rude to stick your butt practically in someone's face who isn't asking you to. What have we become- animals?

jimnyc
08-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Naughty bits aside, it's pretty rude to stick your butt practically in someone's face who isn't asking you to. What have we become- animals?

And the thing is, I certainly don't believe he did this on purpose, he simply didn't think, and didn't put respect for one another first. Today's attitude is more or less - do what you please so long as it's not physically harming someone, and they can leave if they don't like it. It's sad that so many people just do things and think, "deal with it or leave".

darin
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM

I contend it's less-decent to treat nudity as sinful or dirty. Yes, my kids are self-aware enough to dress and conduct themselves appropriately. Any scaring would have been if I had freaked out and screamed at them.

Trigg
08-02-2012, 12:11 PM

The Finnish sauna in the nude with the whold family. When my kids went to visit she covered up out of respect for their comfort level regarding nudity.

Americans can be very uptight, and I admit that nudity in public makes me uncomfortable, I certainly would get out of the Y changing area quickly if it was overt.

Trigg
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Seriously :laugh: your younger brother only stopped running around nude last year and he's 14.

aboutime
08-02-2012, 01:07 PM
I contend it's less-decent to treat nudity as sinful or dirty. Yes, my kids are self-aware enough to dress and conduct themselves appropriately. Any scaring would have been if I had freaked out and screamed at them.

dmp. I agree. Treating nudity as sinful or dirty is...'as the old saying goes'...
"In the eye of the beholder" in many ways.

One pragmatic way to look at it, in my opinion. Would be.
For all of us to think for a moment, and ask ourselves.
"On the day I was born. Was I wearing clothes?"

Anyone happen to know any other human being who arrived on their birthday...with a diaper on?