PDA

View Full Version : Do you care if your opinion is wrong?

darin
07-31-2012, 09:59 AM
what would it take to change your mind? If you found out your opinion was, say, based on a logical fallacy, would that be enough? What is the key to unlocking your humility to the point where you can admit you might be wrong?

If I believed homosexuals are 'born that way' because 'everybody knows its a choice' - and that fallacy was presented to me, I like to think I'd respond to reason and change my views (because there's no real scientific evidence to suggest such a claim).

What about you? What would it take?

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 10:05 AM
what would it take to change your mind? If you found out your opinion was, say, based on a logical fallacy, would that be enough? What is the key to unlocking your humility to the point where you can admit you might be wrong?

If I believed homosexuals are 'born that way' because 'everybody knows its a choice' - and that fallacy was presented to me, I like to think I'd respond to reason and change my views (because there's no real scientific evidence to suggest such a claim).

I admit I'm wrong in the face of overwhelming facts against me. I don't normally give in if it's opinions against me, but have been known to do so. Opinions technically can't be "wrong", but one can change it based on many opinions from others. I think opinions are much harder to change than facts. As for humility, sometimes admitting you're wrong feels good. There's no shame in admitting you made a mistake, or outright were wrong.

To the example, about homosexuality, I don't ever see anyone changing my opinion of the subject, I'll likely always be opinionated against it. But for example, if a doctor down the road gives definitive proof, peer reviewed, that people are in fact born gay, I'll be man enough to admit I was wrong. But it still wouldn't change my opinion on the overall topic.

And I think the Steelers are the best team in the NFL, year after year, and nothing will change that, not even losing records.

darin
07-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Macro evolution = opinion. My dog's Urinary Tract Infection = Opinion. Earth is round = opinion.

Opinions can be and are often absolutely right - because they are formed based on interpretation of data.

fj1200
07-31-2012, 11:14 AM

Proof and fact to the extent that they are available or something that shows the failure of my logic.

gabosaurus
07-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I have been proven wrong a great many times. That is why I spent 18 years in school. That is why there is ongoing scientific research.

At the same time, there are a great many who never choose to believe they are wrong. I had two college classes with a girl who was home schooled and raised according to a very strict fundamentalist faith. She believed that the only proven "facts" were those in the Bible or taught in her church. I often wondered why she was taken classes, since there were so many things she chose not to agree with.

There is a lot of "research for profit" going on. I am guessing that I can commission a study that proves that dmp's dog would never get a urinary tract infection if he ate Gabosaurus Dog Food instead of Purina or some other brand. All I have to do is put enough money into it.

Same is true that some people's believe that homosexuals choose to be that way. There is research that says it is genetic.
I could come back and say "why do people choose to get cancer? Or mental illness? Where is the proof?"

darin
07-31-2012, 01:16 PM
I could come back and say "why do people choose to get cancer? Or mental illness? Where is the proof?"

...which are apples to oranges examples because non of those are a behavior or preference ;)

Abbey Marie
07-31-2012, 01:50 PM
I was going to say I am quite capable of being wrong, but another poster recently said I know everything. ;)

cadet
07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
I'll admit to being wrong when i'm discussing facts, but my opinions on moral issues don't change. Even if you give me factual data.

I was discussing with my friends why golf isn't a sport, it's a hobby dammit!
They gave me the dictionary definition of a sport, and made me come up with a logical idea of what a sport is. Unfortunitaly, the only way i could do that was ranging "sports" from hard to easy.
So i turned to dad. his definition was "Anything you can drink a beer after/while doing isn't a sport."

revelarts
07-31-2012, 02:18 PM

I've change my mind on so many things it's a wonder that my head is still on my shoulders.

I'll hold on to the best evidence i can find or is shown me until i get enough to make a change.
When i was agnostic there where some areas, i admitted , I didn't want to hear to much info about if it contradicted my opinions, because i didn't want to change my views.
Abortion was one of those. I didn't want to talk about the fetus being a human, i didn't want to know the details, Because i didn't want to have any kids. I suspected the prolifer might have a point and that the fetus MIGHT be a "real" human but I didn't want to know it for sure and avoided the subject on that level and just voted to keep abortion legal.

I'm pretty open to listen to just about any opinion and i'll drill it down or have drilled some down to my satifation, but if new evidence is around I'll consider it. But I'm pretty fixed in some areas, some areas seem to be just unknown but some areas ARE just opinion "I like star trek" other areas are more universally important hard reality based.

And I think , as a matter of principal, that everyone should try to be as reality based as possible, If not we'll be living off of lies, and lies often tend to get people killed in the long and short run.

Is the water poison, is not something to be left to opinion.
Is there a car coming down the street not stopping at the light as i cross?
Will i make enough money at this job?
Is my spouse cheating?
Is it a baby?
Should I eat better foods?
Does the cell phone cause cancer?
Is Floride good for me?
Is Iran really a threat?
Is God real?

Reality will kick you in asre if you get your "opinion" wrong,
or if you go off half-cocked when your way off base.

Mr. P
07-31-2012, 06:49 PM
I thought I was wrong once but was mistaken.;)

aboutime
07-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Remember that old saying about Opinions being like A-Holes....everybody has one?

Generally throughout my life. I have always tried to base my opinions on topics that are being discussed...on the available facts I have been able to personally verify as accurate, and true.

Like my feelings about Obama. Nothing upsets me more than listening to a known Liar. So I do everything in my power...as my father taught me many, many years ago. To NOT LIE in the first place. Then you can feel confident enough not to worry about being caught in a lie in the first place.

The hypocrisy of lying is never rewarded. No matter who you think you can fool.

hjmick
07-31-2012, 09:24 PM
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again.

Don't really care.

gabosaurus
07-31-2012, 09:46 PM
I am quite willing to admit when any of you are wrong. Which is often. :cool:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-31-2012, 09:51 PM
I was wrong once in the summer of 69'.
So was the girl...;)-Tyr
Then summer of 72' I was almost wrong again but my gal at the time reminded me that I was only mistaken.:laugh:
Seriously , every person has been wrong at times and right at times . It really just matters that you RIGHT far more often than you are wrong. To do that you must actively seek the truth as a matter of principle. Then be willing to embrace the truth when it shatters your previously held position. Thats the hard part and the one most people refuse to do IMHO. -Tyr

Mr. P
07-31-2012, 09:53 PM

In your opinion of course, which doesn't make it fact. :laugh:

Shadow
07-31-2012, 10:56 PM

Depends on what the issue is...and how strong my convictions are in that area. Normally my mind can be changed if the argument against mine is logical and pretty strong (even though I can be very stubborn sometimes).

SassyLady
08-01-2012, 12:42 AM
I don't care if my opinion is wrong.....because it's just my opinion. However, if I'm basing my opinion on facts, and those facts are proven false, or if there is new information, then I am willing to change my opinion.

I used to think all men were horrible assholes like my dad, stepfather, uncles, etc. because that was the extend of my experience with men. Then I had a male teacher in 5th grade and another one in 6th grade, and both showed me that there might be a possibility that not all men are assholes.

Now, I believe there are a lot of men who are assholes, but there are good men also, who act like assholes every now and then.

My opinion that ALL men are assholes has changed, because it was wrong to begin with.

dmp .... sometimes I will hold an opinion against overwhelming facts because intuitively I believe the facts are wrong or being manipulated. In those instances I will hold to my opinion/belief until my gut tells me different. Hard to explain, but I trust my instincts.

Abbey Marie
08-01-2012, 12:54 AM
"If lovin' you is wrong, I don't wanna be right".

:dance:

logroller
08-01-2012, 05:38 AM
I don't care if my opinion is wrong.....because it's just my opinion. However, if I'm basing my opinion on facts, and those facts are proven false, or if there is new information, then I am willing to change my opinion.

I used to think all men were horrible assholes like my dad, stepfather, uncles, etc. because that was the extend of my experience with men. Then I had a male teacher in 5th grade and another one in 6th grade, and both showed me that there might be a possibility that not all men are assholes.

Now, I believe there are a lot of men who are assholes, but there are good men also, who act like assholes every now and then.

My opinion that ALL men are assholes has changed, because it was wrong to begin with.

dmp .... sometimes I will hold an opinion against overwhelming facts because intuitively I believe the facts are wrong or being manipulated. In those instances I will hold to my opinion/belief until my gut tells me different. Hard to explain, but I trust my instincts.
I'm of the opinion that all people, men and women, can be assholes from time to time.:cool: (Am I an asshole for saying that?)

I was tying to put to words what it is that causes me to change my opinion on a matter. I can't say there is one way, but after reading your post one way came to mind, and that's how I come to hold an opinion. When I discover the way I came to hold those beliefs is cannot be universalized, then the opinion is weakened-- that doesn't mean the opinion is necessarily wrong, but it certainly casts doubt upon it and I try to entertain other alternatives. But like you, I trust my gut and it certainly makes me check my bias when facts oppose my POV.

darin
08-01-2012, 06:08 AM

Will you admit your wrongness in giving my wife the label of "impure"? Then, will you even F'ing EXPLAIN what you meant by that? :)

taft2012
08-01-2012, 06:26 AM

Very difficult to prove political theories to be wrong. We will always have political opposition so no theory will ever be able to be tested unimpeded. The best we can do is look to history's totalitarian societies where theories were able to run their courses unimpeded. Ironically, it seems that the left has had ample historical precedents to prove their theories in totalitarian societies. Off the top of my head though, I can't think of any Ronald Reagan-Milton Friedman totalitarian societies.

As for science, they could be helpful on certain issues. However, as the global warming debate has demonstrated, they are all too willing to sacrifice their scientific credibility for political and economic gain.