PDA

View Full Version : Deja Vu - Baker won't make cake for homosexual couple

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 10:36 AM
I remember having a thread similar last year. In this case, the owner refused to back a cake for a gay couple and their wedding. So instead of thumbing their nose about the business and moving to another one, here we go again with another scandal. They think they brought attention to the shop by forming a boycott, and now others are buying cakes and such from the shop to support the owner. Either way, my stance remains the same, let them run the business how they see fit, as a customer you have the right to take your business elsewhere.

LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) – Chick-fil-A’s president spoke out against gay marriage last week, sparking a huge uproar in the gay community, and now the issue is spilling over to a Colorado bakery.

The owner of Masterpiece Cake Shop in Lakewood refused to bake a wedding cake for a local gay couple and now people are pushing a boycott against the owner.

Shop owner Jack Phillips probably didn’t think he was going to be wading into a civil rights debate a week ago when he told the gay couple that he would not make a cake for their wedding, but that’s exactly what has happened.

Dave Mullin and Charlie Craig say they dated for nearly two years before getting engaged. They went into the Masterpiece Cake Shop thinking they’d spend a full day trying cakes for their ceremony. Instead the meeting lasted a few seconds.

“My first comment was, ‘We’re getting married,’ and he just shut that down immediately,” Craig said.

Mullin and Craig were stunned. They went online and posted their experience on Facebook. The response has been huge.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/07/28/lakewood-cake-shop-refuses-wedding-cake-to-gay-couple/

fj1200
07-31-2012, 11:01 AM
... let them run the business how they see fit...

That's not good enough for some. The last one was in Iowa iirc.

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 11:12 AM
That's not good enough for some. The last one was in Iowa iirc.

I'm betting that 9 out of 10 bakeries, and more so for your bigger places, won't give a crap and will make a cake for anyone. It's so much easier to pick a better place and halt business to a place you disagree with. People will make their decisions with their wallets. It just irks me, because some approach it as if these bakers MUST make cakes for these people. Hell, they should be able to turn down work if the customer walks in with a Yankees jersey on.

** Off topic - went to proofread my post, which is a GREAT thing, as I noticed the word bigger in my first sentence accidentally started with an N letter instead of the B. Call it what you will, but I noticed it and fixed it! :coffee: