PDA

View Full Version : You Be the Jury: Can we make fun of this 11-year-old?

jimnyc
07-31-2012, 11:33 AM
I saw a "friend" post this on Facebook and decided it would make a good thread here. I watched this a few days ago and have my mind made up already. Could be a tremendous individual here but her singing is AWFUL! Making fun of her? I don't think that does anything, but whoever is pushing her and telling her she is good, is nuts! There are other videos I can post of her if necessary, but she just repeats this horrible rendition wherever she goes. What do you guys think of her singing?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y9TgeVwGR68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

revelarts
07-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Not as bad as thought it was going to be.
I bet if you took some of the audio editing off of half of the pop stars today they wouldn't sound much better though.

But make fun of the kid, no way, it's a kid c'mon.

But you know the way she sung reminded me of a favorite goofy old song, i really liked it back in the day.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wyRosnwO_mg?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

CSM
07-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Ok I couldn't make it past the first few seconds.

gabosaurus
07-31-2012, 01:06 PM
I have to right to make fun of anything that makes me laugh. It might not be politically correct. It might offend 99 percent of civilized humanity. But my right to free speech gives me the opportunity to do so.

When my sister was in college, she dated a guy who was a member of a "shock comedy team." They made their living doing jokes about the most horrible things you can imagine. Including the 9-11 attacks and mass murders. Their idea was that people who are stressed about things need to learn to laugh about them.
I didn't like the guy because he was a jerk. Not because of his act, which I never saw.

Thunderknuckles
07-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Personally, I'd never make fun of her. Maybe when I was younger but a 41 year old making fun of an 11 year old's singing is pretty sad.
There is a line in the sand that applies to all however. It was reported that the girl was receiving threats after her performance.
That is unquestionably wrong on all accounts.

darin
07-31-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm only a "friend"??? :(

(sigh). You hate me.

:p

Missileman
07-31-2012, 04:08 PM
I saw a "friend" post this on Facebook and decided it would make a good thread here. I watched this a few days ago and have my mind made up already. Could be a tremendous individual here but her singing is AWFUL! Making fun of her? I don't think that does anything, but whoever is pushing her and telling her she is good, is nuts! There are other videos I can post of her if necessary, but she just repeats this horrible rendition wherever she goes. What do you guys think of her singing?

<iframe height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y9TgeVwGR68" frameBorder="0" width="560" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Sounds like an old vinyl record player when you put varying amounts of pressure on the LP with your finger to adjust the speed...IOW, she sucks ASS...even for an 11-year-old.

aboutime
07-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Gotta be fair here. Even if she is 11 years old.

What I heard, and stopped as she said 'twilight's'...SUCKED!

Why lie about it? Why try to fall into the lure of Political Correctness, and give her some kind of UNEARNED award for singing that?

That just plain SUCKED. It was terrible, and somebody should tell her the TRUTH.

Kathianne
07-31-2012, 04:24 PM
That was really bad! OMG! She sure is loud though!

gabosaurus
07-31-2012, 05:33 PM
My neighbor's daughter is unfailingly polite. I played this video when she came over with her mom today. She said "wow, that is not very good is it?" Which is another kid's version "wow, that sucks!" :laugh:

If you want to know real time opinions of the kid's singing, watch for the man in the light blue shirt at @ 1:14 and the young girl wearing red at @ 2:11. They probably speak for all of us.

Even ABC News weighed in, reporting that many are calling it "the worst version ever."

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/11-year-old-harper-gruzins-performs-worst-rendition-of-national-anthem-during-soccer-match1343768952557

The girl's parents, predictably, are not amused. The girl herself blamed it on God. :rolleyes:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/30/texas-parents-defend-daughter-11-following-reports-blasting-worst-ever-national/

And if you want to hear MORE of the delightful young lady's music, you can go here:

http://www.reverbnation.com/harpergruzins

Mr. P
07-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Arrest the parents for child abuse!

Holy smokes! Yes, as a parent you support your kids and there goals but you don't blindly drive them down the road to public ridicule! Instead, you maybe guide them down a side road until they're ready for the main road they wish to travel, or guide them toward a different road altogether where they can be successful.

Some folks have NO business being "parents". IMO Just sayin

darin
07-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Uh...I just asked God...God says "No WAY" he allowed that. What we have have, God says, is Parents who don't love their kid enough to tell her 'no, honey...be good at sports instead..."

For real.

:)

gabosaurus
07-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Uh...I just asked God...God says "No WAY" he allowed that. What we have have, God says, is Parents who don't love their kid enough to tell her 'no, honey...be good at sports instead..."

That reminds me of the "everyone gets a trophy society" thread that someone else has on DP now. It's the idea that, if a kid wants to do it, the parents are obligated to make sure he/she is one of the best. And no one can tell them otherwise.
I can't sing a note on key. My friends were kind enough to inform me of this at an early age.
My daughter has the same problem. When she want to try out for choir, I told her she needed to stick with piano.
One of my neighbors coached a youth baseball team for an entire season. He got out because he couldn't deal with the parents, all of whom thought their son was the greatest talent ever.

logroller
07-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Somebody books these performers, right? Shouldn't they, I don't know, listen to them first?

Calling the performance terrible isn't making fun. Reminds me of when Roseanne Barr butchered the anthem back in the day.