PDA

View Full Version : Harry Reid's Wild Speculation About Mitt Romney's Unreleased Tax Returns

jimnyc
08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
This man and Nancy Pelosi are all that is wrong with politics. All rhetoric and crap and nothing to substantiate. They appear to say things like this, which can obviously hurt a candidate, but then back it up with nothing at all. If I were Romney, I would reply to the nation that he had heard that Harry was only still in office for so long as he had connections and tons of kickbacks, allegedly. Either way, I wouldn't mind Romney releasing more information, and I'll eat my shoe on video here for DP if he didn't pay taxes for 10 years! The majority of Dems screaming for things are hiding shit themselves, Obama and Wasserman off the top of my head. If they are making money from politics, there should be a standard set as to what MUST be transparent to the public, for both sides. As to the bold - if he's not certain, he shouldn't be making perhaps slanderous comments.

Here's a totally unsubstantiated rumor: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said that he's heard that Romney did not pay any taxes for 10 years. Democrats have criticized Romney for not releasing more than two years of his tax returns. But there has never been anything to suggest that Romney's tax bill was zero.

The presumptive GOP candidate has said he always paid all of the taxes he was required by law to pay. But he has said releasing more tax returns would likely not quiet critics.

And so speculation has run rampant. In an interview with the Huffington Post , Reid said that a month ago someone who invested with Bain Capital, called his office to say that Romney, "didn't pay any taxes for 10 years."

Romney is the former CEO of Bain Capital.

"He didn't pay taxes for 10 years! Now, do I know that that's true? Well, I'm not certain," said Reid. "But obviously he can't release those tax returns. How would it look?

"You guys have said his wealth is $250 million," Reid continued. "Not a chance in the world. It's a lot more than that. I mean, you do pretty well if you don't pay taxes for 10 years when you're making millions and millions of dollars."

Reid has in the past called on Romney to release more of his tax returns, as the Obama campaign and other top Democrats have. But the interview marked the first time Reid has suggested that, per his informant, Romney had not paid taxes for a decade.

ANd I call bullshit on the last bolded portion. Obama has more stuff under wraps than any other president in history. Then I can go off on a long list of others refusing to release documents "I'm not running.... but I'll accuse others..."

http://news.yahoo.com/harry-reids-wild-speculation-mitt-romneys-unreleased-tax-215329613--abc-news-politics.html

Little-Acorn
08-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Has anyone stopped to wonder how "someone who invested with Bain" would have any idea what was in the CEO's Federal tax returns?

FAIL

These people are getting REALLY desperate.

CSM
08-01-2012, 01:37 PM
If you throw enough crap often enough, something is bound to stick. For libs/Dems, it is irrelevant if there is any truth in it at all.

KarlMarx
08-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said that he's heard that Romney did not pay any taxes for 10 years.

What a coincidence, I've heard that Harry Reid hasn't lead the Senate since he took over as majority leader. If he spent more time getting legislation passed rather than acting like a human traffic jam, we wouldn't be looking at sequestration cuts.

And oh by the way speaking of taxes...

From Judge Learned Hand....

"Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury. There is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes. Over and over again the Courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everyone does it, rich and poor alike and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands."

If Harry Reid is so concerned about Mitt Romney not paying his "fair share", why doesn't he take a portion of his generous salary and pay it to the Treasury?

aboutime
08-01-2012, 02:14 PM
He's actually trying to be competitive with the Joe Biden 'Foot-in-mouth' disease factor. Harry can't help it. We must always remember to be liberally tolerant when talking about Harry, or Obama.
Both of them were delivered accidentally as the result of Failed Abortion practices that were unwanted...right from the start.

In fact. Someone should step forward and tell Harry's parents...if they are still living. That we are all so sad. They never had any children that lived.

jimnyc
08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm dying to see Reid be honest and backup his accusations. Just like when Pelosi made "threats" about Gingrich and then never was heard from on the subject again. They want to make outlandish comments and accusations, hope people remember it, but then never have the integrity to come to the podium and backup their words or retract them.

Romney to Reid: 'Put up or shut up'

(CNN) - Mitt Romney on Thursday pushed back against Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's allegations that the presumptive GOP nominee has not been paying his taxes.

"It's time for Harry to put up or shut up," Romney said on Sean Hannity's radio show.

In a Huffington Post interview published Tuesday, the leading Democrat said that an unnamed investor with Bain Capital, Romney's former private equity firm, told Reid in a phone conversation that Romney had not paid taxes for a decade.

Reid stood by the allegations on Thursday while speaking on the Senate floor.

"The word's out that he hasn't paid any taxes for 10 years," he said. "Let him prove he has paid taxes because he hasn't."

Democrats and President Barack Obama's re-election campaign have repeatedly called for Romney to release more tax documents to answer any questions about his financial portfolio.

Romney has made public the full 2010 tax return and an estimate for 2011, with a pledge to release the full year once it's complete. He filed an extension for an October deadline.

Critics have hit back against Reid's comments this week, faulting him for making claims based off an anonymous source.

"Harry's gonna have to describe who it is he spoke with because of course that's totally and completely wrong," Romney said Thursday in the radio interview. "It's untrue, dishonest and inaccurate. It's wrong. So I'm looking forward to have Harry reveal his sources and we'll probably find out that it's the White House."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/02/romney-to-reid-put-up-or-shut-up/