PDA

View Full Version : LAPD officers investigated for 'military-style' boot camp

jimnyc
08-01-2012, 01:18 PM
I have mixed emotions about this one. I can see the negative side of things, maybe, but what they're describing sounds an awful like what one endure in the military. Also, is it mandatory? Voluntary?

Officials from the Los Angeles Police Department are investigating two officers who allegedly operated a military-style boot camp for kids that employed harsh physical methods.

The Juvenile Intervention Program, which bills itself on its website as a 12-week program that will “improve the lives of "at risk" youth and their families by implementing structure, self-discipline and respect,” has been operating its weekend classes in Hollywood since at least February, according to the program’s website.

Two online videos show drill instructors screaming at young participants, disparaging them, and, in at least one instance, challenging one child to a fight. Much of the footage shows the children struggling to complete sets of push-ups and other difficult endurance exercises. In one scene, a group of exhausted-looking girls calls out, “316, sir,” as they count off another squat with their hands held behind their heads. Several kids are seen crying during the exercises or as instructors lean down into their faces to shout at them.

In one scene, a male officer pushes a girl from her knees into push-up position. In another, a young boy is brought to tears by an expletive-filled tirade.

The program and videos were first reported by the Los Angeles Daily News.

Several of the instructors are shown wearing holstered guns and uniforms from the city’s General Services police--an agency that soon will become part of the LAPD, but traditionally has been separate. The chief of the General Services force did not immediately respond to a call for comment.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/07/lapd-officers-investigated-for-military-style-boot-camp.html

gabosaurus
08-01-2012, 05:22 PM
You should read more about it. I have actually recommended a few kids for this program.
For the most part, these are not sweet, polite kids who open doors for you. These are kids who are normally on their final step to juvenile detention or jail. Some of them have a choice between this program or detention.
From what I understand, some of the drill instructors are trained by the military.

I totally approve of this program. Of course, I know there will be some pansy liberals who don't feel kids should be abused in this manner. :rolleyes:

Mr. P
08-01-2012, 10:19 PM
You should read more about it. I have actually recommended a few kids for this program.
For the most part, these are not sweet, polite kids who open doors for you. These are kids who are normally on their final step to juvenile detention or jail. Some of them have a choice between this program or detention.
From what I understand, some of the drill instructors are trained by the military.

I totally approve of this program. Of course, I know there will be some pansy liberals who don't feel kids should be abused in this manner. :rolleyes:

Would you say this is like the "Scared straight" program? Sorta?

gabosaurus
08-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Would you say this is like the "Scared straight" program? Sorta?

It's very much like it. I wish there were more programs like this.

SassyLady
08-02-2012, 01:52 AM
What those kids will learn is that they can survive as individuals and as teams. They will learn to endure hardship, stress (physical and emotional), degradation, and know that they will live through it.

I wonder if anyone has bothered to ask any of the graduates of this program what they took away from it.