PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the Olympics?

jimnyc
08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm having this debate with someone offline.

Who do you consider to be the winner?

1) Most gold medals
2) Most total medals

I know many will say option 3, that all of them are winners, but unfortunately sentimentality doesn't always finalize a debate!

I'm of the belief and have always, since I was a kid, looked at the total medals as the winner. Every chart that shows medal totals that I have ever saw, always shows a list of the countries based on their total medals. MANY times I have seen someone in 2nd place but with more gold medals.

Opinions?

jimnyc
08-01-2012, 01:58 PM
And for the hell of it, here are the current totals:

http://i.imgur.com/EmHuY.png?1

Abbey Marie
08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
It's like asking who is the better athlete: someone who is the best on the planet at a particular event, or someone like Bruce Jenner who does the best in a grouping of events, but isn't necessarily the world's best at any of them.

I guess the overall highest number of medals looks more impressive, but being the world's best at something kinda means more to me.

logroller
08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
If you're gonna ignore option 3, I'd go with option 1-- second place is the first loser!
But seriously, I was having this conversation with the wife last night...in bed... ;)
Kidding, no we were talking about phelps taking second in the 200 fly and she was saying he was off his game and a disappointment, and I have to disagree-- his performance in Beijing (7/8 gold) was/is unprecedented and shouldn't be used as the standard we judge athletes, even him. There is more to competition than merely Being first, it's the experience that counts. So far as that goes, im sure the experience of winning the gold means more to de clos (sp), the south african swimmer who won, than it would have phelps--he wanted it more, and earned the gold-- phelps didn't give it to him. Besides, Not having done what it takes to get there, let alone place or win, I don't think it's something that one can really sit back and judge from gallery. I do feel bad for that gymnast that placed fourth overall in qualifications, but third on the us team, and can't compete in the individual all-around due to the 2/team rules. But hey, she got a gold medal in the Olympics-- Not exactly pitiful...if it was silver, that'd be different.:laugh2:

jimnyc
08-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Seems like we are going to win it anyway you look at it! Tomorrow is the last day with not a lot of medals to give out. Thus far here is how the top 5 look:

<tbody>

Gold
Silver
Bronze
Total

USA

China

Russia

Great Britain

Germany

</tbody>

aboutime
08-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Seems like we are going to win it anyway you look at it! Tomorrow is the last day with not a lot of medals to give out. Thus far here is how the top 5 look:

<tbody>

Gold
Silver
Bronze
Total

USA

China

Russia

Great Britain

Germany

</tbody>

Looking forward to the ending. Enjoyed watching all of the events, and tried to look past the endless NBC advertisements, and monologues that went on, and on, and on.
NBC NoBamaCant...sucks.

Noir
08-11-2012, 10:06 PM
The olympic way to judge it is by most gold medals.

Looking forward to the ending. Enjoyed watching all of the events, and tried to look past the endless NBC advertisements, and monologues that went on, and on, and on.
NBC NoBamaCant...sucks.

Also, as an aside, are there any non-advert driven channels in America?

Kathianne
08-11-2012, 11:27 PM
The olympic way to judge it is by most gold medals.

Also, as an aside, are there any non-advert driven channels in America?

NBC is getting ripped by many on how NOT to show the Olympics. They are making a ton of money anyways.

gabosaurus
08-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't think any nation "wins" the Olympics.
Obviously, the nations with the most competitors will win the most medals. But some nations will consider themselves winners if they get what they expected. Look at Jamaica.

NBC's coverage is/was a giant FAIL. This current world of instant communication pretty much demands live coverage of events. The fact that NBC believes that its audience will wait until prime time to watch chopped up delayed coverage of key events is bogus.
People are going to watch the Olympics in prime time no matter what is on. Even the rhythmic gymnastics crap.

Like Saturday when NBC didn't want to show the gold medal womens volleyball match in prime time. Live streaming sites had thousands of viewers each. My daughter and I watched a ton of events on a live stream site that showed everything live, without interruption. I recommend it.

http://www.vipbox.tv/

My daughter went over to my sister's house this weekend to watch Saturday's gold medal soccer game between Mexico and Brazil. Watch it on Telemundo and you get to hear the game called by Andres Cantor, one of the best announcers in any language. My sister and her husband had about 30 people in their home watching the game.

jimnyc
08-12-2012, 12:13 PM
http://www.vipbox.tv/

Cool, good to have options! Even better though, your link will continue and looks like it covers an awful lot!

Just as an addition, for anyone wanting to watch the closing ceremonies today, which starts at 4pm EST, NBC has been streaming it from their site live all along at http://www.nbcolympics.com/

aboutime
08-12-2012, 01:40 PM
NBC is getting ripped by many on how NOT to show the Olympics. They are making a ton of money anyways.

Kathianne. THAT is the bottom line. "MONEY". Nothing else matters to NBC. Which explains, and proves that MONEY is all they care about. They have announced they will also show the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
Four years to plan a repeat of how to LURE people into watching, while spoiling the Whole two weeks with NON-STOP Advertisements, and Monologues from Worthless, Amateur Journalism students who get paid MILLIONS to fool us with their Ignorance.

Kathianne
08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Kathianne. THAT is the bottom line. "MONEY". Nothing else matters to NBC. Which explains, and proves that MONEY is all they care about. They have announced they will also show the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
Four years to plan a repeat of how to LURE people into watching, while spoiling the Whole two weeks with NON-STOP Advertisements, and Monologues from Worthless, Amateur Journalism students who get paid MILLIONS to fool us with their Ignorance.

We'll see if viewers retaliate with regular programming. I don't have an oar in this, no cable and no regular TV. I'm at the mercy of reading.

fj1200
08-12-2012, 09:06 PM

WTF are you talking about? Why do you think NBC is in business?

Kathianne
08-12-2012, 10:54 PM

Neither of your posts make sense to me, though it may be my lack of viewing. In general I see that NBC chose to broadcast nearly all by tape delay. Many were angry, saying they should have gone live and tape for those that wouldn't watch in early hours. NBC chose to block live, saving for commercial payoff, understandable.

Interesting though their news division is much more altruistic in their broadcasting. Painting capitalism as evil.

gabosaurus
08-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I know exactly who won the Olympics -- the Spice Girls!! :cheers2:

fj1200
08-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Neither of your posts make sense to me, though it may be my lack of viewing. In general I see that NBC chose to broadcast nearly all by tape delay. Many were angry, saying they should have gone live and tape for those that wouldn't watch in early hours. NBC chose to block live, saving for commercial payoff, understandable.

Interesting though their news division is much more altruistic in their broadcasting. Painting capitalism as evil.

Just pursuing a line of questioning.

About the whole coverage though, meh, I watched some during the day, live, and some at night, delayed... but it's clear the we (USA, USA, USA...) won the Olympics. Even when China was ahead I saw a story that the US was leading the medals that didn't take into account subjective scoring like diving and gymnastics.

And synchronized diving?!? I mean, like, come on...

Kathianne
08-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Just pursuing a line of questioning.

About the whole coverage though, meh, I watched some during the day, live, and some at night, delayed... but it's clear the we (USA, USA, USA...) won the Olympics. Even when China was ahead I saw a story that the US was leading the medals that didn't take into account subjective scoring like diving and gymnastics.

And synchronized diving?!? I mean, like, come on...

Seriously, the sum of my knowledge comes from what I read. No tele. No tvo, no streaming.

aboutime
08-13-2012, 03:17 PM

Bottom line for NBC is the almighty OBAMA BUCK.
Yes. NBC is in business to make money. All businesses, and corporations need to profit in order to remain in business.
NBC had the LOCK on viewership. No other network was permitted to even show portions of the OLYMPICS.
So. NBC had the world by the GONADS, and they enjoyed it with the endless interruptions by ads, and tiring Monologues that were useless in most cases.
NBC made enough money to AFFORD placing the Advertising...say, every 30, or 60 minutes in order to keep more people happy.
But. Like OBAMA. The almighty OBAMA BUCK was far more important.

fj1200
08-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Bottom line for NBC is the almighty OBAMA BUCK.
Yes. NBC is in business to make money. All businesses, and corporations need to profit in order to remain in business.
NBC had the LOCK on viewership. No other network was permitted to even show portions of the OLYMPICS.
So. NBC had the world by the GONADS, and they enjoyed it with the endless interruptions by ads, and tiring Monologues that were useless in most cases.
NBC made enough money to AFFORD placing the Advertising...say, every 30, or 60 minutes in order to keep more people happy.
But. Like OBAMA. The almighty OBAMA BUCK was far more important.

That is blitheringly stupid. That's how the business works, they bid to get exclusive coverage and sell advertising to cover the cost. BO has ZERO to do with it and the contract was signed far before he was even a glimmer of a POTUS. Don't like how NBC does it? Don't watch.

aboutime
08-13-2012, 05:49 PM
That is blitheringly stupid. That's how the business works, they bid to get exclusive coverage and sell advertising to cover the cost. BO has ZERO to do with it and the contract was signed far before he was even a glimmer of a POTUS. Don't like how NBC does it? Don't watch.

Funny stuff fj. Coming from the member who says "BO" says so.

Thanks for repeating what I said about how business works. And yes. BO has everything to do with it. BO, GE, and NBC are synonymous with EACH OTHER, and those OBAMA BUCKS that NBC needs, with GE who pays NO CORPORATE taxes...thanks to BO.

fj1200
08-13-2012, 07:03 PM

Thanks for repeating what I said about how business works. And yes. BO has everything to do with it. BO, GE, and NBC are synonymous with EACH OTHER, and those OBAMA BUCKS that NBC needs, with GE who pays NO CORPORATE taxes...thanks to BO.

:facepalm99:

I didn't repeat I summarized the basic business plan whereas your blather was typically incoherent. And GE has paid minimal taxes well before BO became POTUS... unless you think Bush was in on it too. :rolleyes:

logroller
08-13-2012, 07:09 PM

Corps shouldn't pay taxes anymore than they should be represented by or be able to lobby elected officials. But Obama NBC and GE synonymous...do yourself a favor and don't use big words you don't understand. Nbc*universal is a media sector holding of GE, of which it owns 49% (Comcast owns 51%). It's not even wholy owned by GE; even if I'm to believe GE has Obama's ear, I'm guessing it's far less than 49%(those things are huge); hence not synonymous. But dont let little things like facts and reason interfere with your beliefs when blind irrational rage is so effective.

logroller
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
:facepalm99:

I didn't repeat I summarized the basic business plan whereas your blather was typically incoherent. And GE has paid minimal taxes well before BO became POTUS... unless you think Bush was in on it too. :rolleyes:
Reagan too, really.;)

fj1200
08-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Reagan too, really.;)

From what I understand having a finance subsidiary, GE Finance iirc, is very useful in managing your tax bill; Reserves can be manipulated to increase or decrease your tax bill as necessary.

But good for GE, I'm of the mind that corporations shouldn't be taxed as they only really pass taxes through from other entities, customers/shareholders/employees, to the IRS.

logroller
08-13-2012, 08:28 PM
From what I understand having a finance subsidiary, GE Finance iirc, is very useful in managing your tax bill; Reserves can be manipulated to increase or decrease your tax bill as necessary.

But good for GE, I'm of the mind that corporations shouldn't be taxed as they only really pass taxes through from other entities, customers/shareholders/employees, to the IRS.
I've been back and forth on corp taxes, and I'm of the opinion they aren't liable for taxes, but neither should they be represented by lawmakers; as you mentioned, the corporate interest too should be passed through to the people. No taxation w/o representation... seems the contrapositive should hold as well, no? No representation without taxation.

fj1200
08-13-2012, 08:34 PM
I've been back and forth on corp taxes, and I'm of the opinion they aren't liable for taxes, but neither should they be represented by lawmakers; as you mentioned, the corporate interest too should be passed through to the people. No taxation w/o representation... seems the contrapositive should hold as well, no? No representation without taxation.

I hear ya. If they didn't have to lobby for tax breaks or other benefits/corporate welfare then I imagine that their necessity to lobby would diminish greatly, at least as far as tax lobbying. There could still be regulation lobbying though. It's just that the corporate tax is so counterproductive that even if their lobbying wasn't eliminated the outcome would be far better than the current situation. I believe the compliance costs for the corporate tax outweigh even the receipts gained by the IRS; there is just something wrong about that.

I've also seen studies that suggest that one of the beneficiaries of a domestic corporate tax is foreign labor; Now that's just screwed up.