PDA

View Full Version : Somali comedian who dared to mock Islamist militants is gunned down

Shadow
08-02-2012, 10:49 PM
MOGADISHU, Somalia – One of Somalia's most popular comedians, who dared to mock Islamist militants for brainwashing children and killing civilians, was gunned down Tuesday in Mogadishu.

Abdi Jeylani Malaq, also known as Marshale, was reportedly killed by two young men as he left a local radio station where he worked as a producer and performer, the BBC reports.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the killing, but Malaq, 43, had previously received threats from the Al Qaeda-linked Islamist militant group Al-Shabab.

Malaq, who worked for Universal TV, frequently impersonated Islamist fighters in his comedy routines, according to the BBC.
Abdi Muridi Dhere, a colleague, said Malaq's death is heartbreaking. He said the killing has sent Mogadishu back to the "dark days."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08/02/somali-comedian-who-mocked-islamist-militants-is-killed/?test=latestnews#ixzz22S3gQmEh

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-03-2012, 08:30 PM
QUOTE=Shadow;570282]MOGADISHU, Somalia – One of Somalia's most popular comedians, who dared to mock Islamist militants for brainwashing children and killing civilians, was gunned down Tuesday in Mogadishu.

Abdi Jeylani Malaq, also known as Marshale, was reportedly killed by two young men as he left a local radio station where he worked as a producer and performer, the BBC reports.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the killing, but Malaq, 43, had previously received threats from the Al Qaeda-linked Islamist militant group Al-Shabab.

Malaq, who worked for Universal TV, frequently impersonated Islamist fighters in his comedy routines, according to the BBC.
Abdi Muridi Dhere, a colleague, said Malaq's death is heartbreaking. He said the killing has sent Mogadishu back to the "dark days."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08/02/somali-comedian-who-mocked-islamist-militants-is-killed/?test=latestnews#ixzz22S3gQmEh

"not immediately clear", :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Only because the muslim murderers that murdered him didnt hang around to sign autographs!
The Religion of Murder strikes yet again....-Tyr

Shadow
08-04-2012, 06:26 AM
"not immediately clear", :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Only because the muslim murderers that murdered him didnt hang around to sign autographs!
The Religion of Murder strikes yet again....-Tyr

The human rights group Amnesty International has demanded that Somali authorities and the international community take action to re-establish the rule of law in Somalia following the killing of the Somali comedian.

So...Just who do they think is going to go after the terrorists?

taft2012
08-04-2012, 06:54 AM
MOGADISHU, Somalia – One of Somalia's most popular comedians

I had to stop right here and let this sink in.

A Somali comedian. I'm having trouble registering this.

I'm picturing a guy standing in the desert talking to a handful of guys with their faces wrapped up in head scarves and carrying weapons, with their camels tied up in the background, saying things to them like: "Heyyyyy, don't you hate scorpions? You know what I *really* hate about scorpions...."

I suppose it was inevitable that he'd run out of scorpion and beetle jokes and move onto material like "Heeey, and how about those Islamic militants, eh?"

Somalia doesn't strike me as fertile ground for humor.

Shadow
08-04-2012, 09:02 AM
I had to stop right here and let this sink in.

A Somali comedian. I'm having trouble registering this.

I'm picturing a guy standing in the desert talking to a handful of guys with their faces wrapped up in head scarves and carrying weapons, with their camels tied up in the background, saying things to them like: "Heyyyyy, don't you hate scorpions? You know what I *really* hate about scorpions...."

I suppose it was inevitable that he'd run out of scorpion and beetle jokes and move onto material like "Heeey, and how about those Islamic militants, eh?"

Somalia doesn't strike me as fertile ground for humor.

Some say humor enables people to experience joy even when faced with adversity. Guess when you want to trample the 'joy' out of people you take away their ability to laugh at life.

As for understanding desert humor...guess it's a 'you'd have to be there to get it' senario.

jimnyc
08-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Don't forget about the guy in Denmark who drew the cartoon of Muhammed. I know that within Islam they are not supposed to have any first hand depictions of Muhammed, but that's them, and they should respect people outside of their faith. Someone mocking doesn't give an entire faith the right to call for a persons death. According to Shariah law, insulting Muhammed gets you the death penalty. Muslims think this "law" should apply worldwide, even in places where Shariah law has no standing.

gabosaurus
08-04-2012, 12:07 PM
This has happened in all parts of the world. Particularly in Mexico and many parts of Africa.

Kathianne
08-04-2012, 12:31 PM
This has happened in all parts of the world. Particularly in Mexico and many parts of Africa.

People getting killed? Certainly. People getting killed because they mock religion? Please give links.