PDA

View Full Version : Rant from a Christian

DragonStryk72
08-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Okay, as has been made fairly clear, I support gay marriage. I am also a lifelong catholic, and I help out with local food banks. I say this because you can imagine my surprise and ire when I saw this on facebook on one of my freinds' pages:

I support gay marriage, and I support Chic-fil-a. This is not contradictory. The opinion of one person within the company does not make it the company's policy, even if it is the CEO's personal opinion. In fact, I've known openly gay folks who work for Chic-fil-a, and they have not been discriminated against. They haven't been held up for promotion, nothing.

Further, I'm more pissed of the sheer bigotry expressed in the photo, and the completely false information expressed. The majority of food banks are christian owned and operated from church, with the members of the parish working at them. Second is that I am a Christian, and I'm sick of it being somehow "okay" to just lump me in with the worst possible examples, and not just here, let alone when they do it to my face. There are assholes and bigot in every faith on the planet, including atheism.

Now for the bigotry problem of the pic: No one, not one person in the pic is obviously Christian, nor are they protesting gay marriage. There are no signs, no nothing. It's just a bunch of people milling about in various stages of going to Chic Fil A, most likely because they have really tasty chicken. That means whoever decided to make this meme is actively judging every single person who goes to chick fil a to be a christian, AND to be against Gay Marriage, AND to be completely uncharitable, and unwilling to volunteer.

jimnyc
08-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Looney left and anti-Christians simply trying to take advantage of the situation.

But I did notice that yesterday too. There were massive crowds at so many of the chicken outlets yesterday. They could have bombarded these stores with signs, literature, megaphones, and tried to get a message out more than eating chicken to give support to someone unfairly portrayed. The way protests and similar go, comparing the left and the right, conservative versus liberal, is so different it's laughable.

Off topic but comparable, look at the difference between OWS and Tea Partiers. The TP were non-violent and CLEAN, and the places they went to were mostly clean when they left. The condition and antics of the OWS speaks for itself.

DragonStryk72
08-03-2012, 10:23 AM
What gets me is the sheer point of trying to say that christians would not work a shelter, or food bank. more than 80% of food banks are Christian owned and operated. They're supplied by local grocery stores, and various eateries, and they have regular staff. Aside from that, you have the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts collecting canned goods and volunteering their time in soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and such as well.

Thunderknuckles
08-03-2012, 10:49 AM
What gets me is the sheer point of trying to say that christians would not work a shelter, or food bank. more than 80% of food banks are Christian owned and operated. They're supplied by local grocery stores, and various eateries, and they have regular staff. Aside from that, you have the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts collecting canned goods and volunteering their time in soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and such as well.
I'm with you Dragon. I've been to food banks and this is pure BS. Obviously this person never step foot in one.

gabosaurus
08-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm with you Dragon. I've been to food banks and this is pure BS. Obviously this person never step foot in one.

Excellent point. I've worked in food banks before. The volunteers are both Christian and non-Christian.

revelarts
08-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Okay, as has been made fairly clear, I support gay marriage. I am also a lifelong catholic, and I help out with local food banks. I say this because you can imagine my surprise and ire when I saw this on facebook on one of my freinds' pages:

I support gay marriage, and I support Chic-fil-a. This is not contradictory. The opinion of one person within the company does not make it the company's policy, even if it is the CEO's personal opinion. In fact, I've known openly gay folks who work for Chic-fil-a, and they have not been discriminated against. They haven't been held up for promotion, nothing.

Further, I'm more pissed of the sheer bigotry expressed in the photo, and the completely false information expressed. The majority of food banks are christian owned and operated from church, with the members of the parish working at them. Second is that I am a Christian, and I'm sick of it being somehow "okay" to just lump me in with the worst possible examples, and not just here, let alone when they do it to my face. There are assholes and bigot in every faith on the planet, including atheism.

Now for the bigotry problem of the pic: No one, not one person in the pic is obviously Christian, nor are they protesting gay marriage. There are no signs, no nothing. It's just a bunch of people milling about in various stages of going to Chic Fil A, most likely because they have really tasty chicken. That means whoever decided to make this meme is actively judging every single person who goes to chick fil a to be a christian, AND to be against Gay Marriage, AND to be completely uncharitable, and unwilling to volunteer.

I'm with ya on most of your points but i do not Support Gay marriage, or Homosexuality.

1 point i'd like to make is though , please don't say that Those that do condemn the practice are Bad Or "the worst possible examples" just because you happen to be OK with it DS. I know you talking about the larger unfair labeling of all Christians as selfish, Westbrooks or pedo Priest etc,
but still.

Especially since you say your a Christian.
Jesus wasn't Crucified because he got along with everyone. Somethings about real Christianity are going to piss some people off. This gay issue is one of them these days. 60 years ago it wasn't an issue. Who changed? was it Christians? no. the larger culture considered it wrong and Christians understood it to be sinful pretty much across the board. Bible didn't change.
Does that mean we should treat any people like crap or unfairly, NO. But we don't promote or condone the activity either.

Anton Chigurh
08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Expressing support for "traditional marriage" is NOT hate speech.

Dilloduck
08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm curious if gays fear boycotts against businesses they own. I think people need to check their economic and moral support before taking step such as an economic boycott. What goes around, comes around.

aboutime
08-03-2012, 09:56 PM

We all know. There always has to be that ONE self-important person who always must see that glass half-empty, and scorn others for trying to drink.

cadet
08-03-2012, 11:21 PM
We all know. There always has to be that ONE self-important person who always must see that glass half-empty, and scorn others for trying to drink.

I guess i'm not that ONE self-important person, as far as i'm concerned-
It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or full. as long as it's vodka.

DragonStryk72
08-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm with ya on most of your points but i do not Support Gay marriage, or Homosexuality.

1 point i'd like to make is though , please don't say that Those that do condemn the practice are Bad Or "the worst possible examples" just because you happen to be OK with it DS. I know you talking about the larger unfair labeling of all Christians as selfish, Westbrooks or pedo Priest etc,
but still.

Especially since you say your a Christian.
Jesus wasn't Crucified because he got along with everyone. Somethings about real Christianity are going to piss some people off. This gay issue is one of them these days. 60 years ago it wasn't an issue. Who changed? was it Christians? no. the larger culture considered it wrong and Christians understood it to be sinful pretty much across the board. Bible didn't change.
Does that mean we should treat any people like crap or unfairly, NO. But we don't promote or condone the activity either.

Actually, I'm not. Two of my friends, Brian and Anna, are against gay marriage, but the example that these folks hold up is the worse possible example, giving no credit for any good examples of Christians, or worse, saying they're not "real" Christians (I've gotten this one before) because we're not being hooting dickholes about it. They don't believe in it, but they aren't dicks about it.

I'm not really debating homosexuality, more in that I'm sick of being shit on like I have to be the biggest asshole in the room because I'm Christian for no explicable reason. The way I see it, yeah, okay, it's a sin, but then, so is heterosexual sex outside of marriage, masturbation, or sex for reasons other than procreation with your wife. There are worse things out there. More importantly, I look from the constitutional stance that if the only real reasoning against it is religiously based, and to me at least, that means that it isn't a valid reason to prohibit it. Of course, I don't think the government should be involved in regulating who can married at all, other than for purposes of census/taxation. Then, I fall in to the deist category anyway.

KarlMarx
08-04-2012, 06:48 AM

Here it is Anton. ANY disagreement with the radical homosexual agenda is going to be labeled as hate speech. PERIOD. We've already accepted the notion that disagreement with the homosexual lifestyle is a mental illness... i.e. homophobia (the irrational fear of homosexuals).

Gays as a political force have quite a bit of clout. They do not tolerate any dissent, they do their utmost to stamp out any free speech that is in contradiction with their agenda. They like to demonize the opposition with broad strokes. They use intimidation, and coercion to get people to fall in line behind them.

Anton Chigurh
08-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Here it is Anton. ANY disagreement with the radical homosexual agenda is going to be labeled as hate speech. PERIOD. We've already accepted the notion that disagreement with the homosexual lifestyle is a mental illness... i.e. homophobia (the irrational fear of homosexuals).

Gays as a political force have quite a bit of clout. They do not tolerate any dissent, they do their utmost to stamp out any free speech that is in contradiction with their agenda. They like to demonize the opposition with broad strokes. They use intimidation, and coercion to get people to fall in line behind them.It's straight out of Alinksy's rules for radicals...

I know.

Kathianne
08-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Actually, I'm not. Two of my friends, Brian and Anna, are against gay marriage, but the example that these folks hold up is the worse possible example, giving no credit for any good examples of Christians, or worse, saying they're not "real" Christians (I've gotten this one before) because we're not being hooting dickholes about it. They don't believe in it, but they aren't dicks about it.

I'm not really debating homosexuality, more in that I'm sick of being shit on like I have to be the biggest asshole in the room because I'm Christian for no explicable reason. The way I see it, yeah, okay, it's a sin, but then, so is heterosexual sex outside of marriage, masturbation, or sex for reasons other than procreation with your wife. There are worse things out there. More importantly, I look from the constitutional stance that if the only real reasoning against it is religiously based, and to me at least, that means that it isn't a valid reason to prohibit it. Of course, I don't think the government should be involved in regulating who can married at all, other than for purposes of census/taxation. Then, I fall in to the deist category anyway.

I have to agree with the gist of your position. I find the idea of homosexuality repugnant, but I'm not a homosexual. While I'm against the marriage push, I've always been against abortion too. I live in the US, since 1973 I've had to adjust. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be glad to see it put back to the states or more likely restricted more, but it is what it is. Between the participants and God. At least with the marriage issue so far, the states have had control. Reminding me a bit of the recent Chick-fil-A controversy, in every case that it's been 'legalized' it's been through the legislatures, not by popular vote. Indeed, wherever it's been place on ballot, it's been turned down. However, this is a Republic, not a Democracy.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-04-2012, 10:41 AM
I have to agree with the gist of your position. I find the idea of homosexuality repugnant, but I'm not a homosexual. While I'm against the marriage push, I've always been against abortion too. I live in the US, since 1973 I've had to adjust. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be glad to see it put back to the states or more likely restricted more, but it is what it is. Between the participants and God. At least with the marriage issue so far, the states have had control. Reminding me a bit of the recent Chick-fil-A controversy, in every case that it's been 'legalized' it's been through the legislatures, not by popular vote. Indeed, wherever it's been place on ballot, it's been turned down.

However, this is a Republic, not a Democracy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are a Republic that is under a very deliberate and well organised attack. Obama is real and living proof of that statement. His early term World Apology Tour and his actions since validate it even more IMHO. His utter contempt for our Constitution and power grabbing further validates !
Our greatest problem is in accepting that we have a president that seeks to destroy so he can rebuild. As one of his top advisors stated, never let a crisis go to waste. That was bad enough alone but its clear that they've went much farther by creating many a crisis to exploit! Had they not got caught on fast and furious we would already be seeing anti-gun laws galore using the "border and its violence" crisis as justification. WHICH I BELIEVE WAS INTENDED TO BOOST SUPPORT FOR THE COMING UN GUN TREATY THAT WAS ATTEMPTED RECENTLY BUT FAILED.
Nothin honorable about this man or his administration, abolutely nothing!-Tyr

DragonStryk72
08-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I have to agree with the gist of your position. I find the idea of homosexuality repugnant, but I'm not a homosexual. While I'm against the marriage push, I've always been against abortion too. I live in the US, since 1973 I've had to adjust. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be glad to see it put back to the states or more likely restricted more, but it is what it is. Between the participants and God. At least with the marriage issue so far, the states have had control. Reminding me a bit of the recent Chick-fil-A controversy, in every case that it's been 'legalized' it's been through the legislatures, not by popular vote. Indeed, wherever it's been place on ballot, it's been turned down. However, this is a Republic, not a Democracy.

At least some of the problem is that the leaders arent really explaining the situation well, and this makes it difficult to get people going in a direction. Those in the push for gay marriage are losing people that they might otherwise have in instances because of antics like this. Using these large sweeping generalizations puts it more and more into a "with us or against us" mentatlity, and the problem is, the fence riders get angry because they don't want to be forced, and thus, end up coming down against something they might have gone along with if they'd been treated a bit more respectfully.

For instance, somehow I'm able to explain my opinion on the subject on a mostly conservative board, and you can look at it and, even if you don't agree, still understand and accept my reasoning for that opinion. Since I don't try to insult anyone for disagreeing with me, no one feels like they have to defend themselves, and we can have an actual talk on the subject, as opposed to an escalating flame war.

08-09-2012, 10:30 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/viral-chick-fil-a-picture-claims-christians-dont-feed-the-poor-but-we-have-proof-to-the-contrary/

What gets me is they do this stupid picture, not even a week, after Christians, along with others, do one of the largest days of service ever.

Indofred
08-10-2012, 09:44 AM

It is not.
I also support traditional marriage but not the the point where I would eat chicken to hate "Poofs".
I may not be much of a fan of homosexual activity but I see it as their business, not mine so I won't be joining stupid hate eat ins.