PDA

View Full Version : Pandora's problems

WiccanLiberal
08-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Got some bad news yesterday. Spent a long afternoon at the vet with my 15 year old cat. The poor thing has a badly infested eye and is more than likely going to need it removed. They had to sedate her to even examine it so the old lady was a stoner for a lot of the evening. As soon as I get my next paycheck she goes back, likely to end up being called Popeye.

jimnyc
08-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Got some bad news yesterday. Spent a long afternoon at the vet with my 15 year old cat. The poor thing has a badly infested eye and is more than likely going to need it removed. They had to sedate her to even examine it so the old lady was a stoner for a lot of the evening. As soon as I get my next paycheck she goes back, likely to end up being called Popeye.

Awwww, poor thing. I'm glad to see someone spending money and going the extra mile for their pet, especially one that is 15yrs old. I couldn't even begin to tell you how much money has been spent on my Pug who is now 13. He didn't have his eye removed, but did have a surgery as a result of having his bug eye scratched by a cat we had at the time. The surgery for that alone was about $5k.

I hope she gets to feeling better!

WiccanLiberal
08-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Hope so too. Her bill is not likely to be as much as that. he estimate is for about $900 but I already spent over 300 yesterday between meds and bloodwork and all. I just can't give up on such a personality as this.

aboutime
08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Sad to hear. Most all of us know. Pets are part of our family too!

When a loved pet is ill. The whole family is in pain, or sick as well.

Stay positive. The Doc's are great, and know how you feel as well.

Prayers work...Even for cats named Pandora!

WiccanLiberal
08-05-2012, 05:13 PM
You have to know this tough old girl. She has been through an awful lot in her life and she never backs down. You had to see her still out of her mind on the drugs and hauling her old bones up to the food dish. Amazing.

aboutime
08-05-2012, 06:08 PM
You have to know this tough old girl. She has been through an awful lot in her life and she never backs down. You had to see her still out of her mind on the drugs and hauling her old bones up to the food dish. Amazing.

Don't even want to imagine how hard that must be to watch. We had a Terrier we called 'TJ' after TJ Hooker.
Had to put him down after 11 years when he developed a canine version of Epilepsy, and the added pains of Cancer in his legs.
A sad day none of us can ever forget.
Just stay positive. Pandora's got a lot of Love going for her.

Voted4Reagan
08-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Trust me folks.... this cat will still be around in 100 years... too old and crusty to pass over into the hereafter...

Heaven dont want her and Hell is afraid she'll take over...

Think I'll make her a little corn cob pipe and tattoo an anchor on her.... tie a small can of spinach on her collar.....

aboutime
08-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Trust me folks.... this cat will still be around in 100 years... too old and crusty to pass over into the hereafter...

Heaven dont want her and Hell is afraid she'll take over...

Think I'll make her a little corn cob pipe and tattoo an anchor on her.... tie a small can of spinach on her collar.....

V4R. You talkin' bout me? Sure sounds very familiar too! As for the cat. Guess we'll both be around just long enough to piss everybody off...several times. Huh?

KitchenKitten99
08-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Tell me about expensive vet bills... Tinkerbell's one vet visit earlier this year was about $500. She had a lingering lameness issue that we couldn't figure out what the cause was. Finally decided to have the vet come out. A farm call isn't too bad ($60 just to drive out) but then add in the 3 x-rays he took of her hoof/leg (@ $44 per picture with the hand-held machine) while he was there, and as long as he had her sedated, I had him float teeth and give her all her shots updates.

I didn't even officially own her at that point. I still don't yet (at the end of the month I will). But doesn't do me any good to lease a horse that isn't sound, whose actual owner doesn't give a rip about (dumped her at the stables and didn't do anything with her for 2 years except pay the boarding fee, and even then she fell behind and owes the barn owners about $1500) and that I had spent 9 months rehabilitating and re-training her to be a nice family mare. That and I have paid for all her other care as well, plus de-worming and hoof trims.

Luckily the barn owners are certified vet techs so most things they can treat on site w/o needing a vet. Issues that persist are where we make the calls.

WiccanLiberal
08-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Well Pandora's surgical appointment is tomorrow morning and I am very anxious about it. At her age I won't relax until they tell me she is awake after the anesthesia. Please hold a good thought for the old lady.

SassyLady
08-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Well Pandora's surgical appointment is tomorrow morning and I am very anxious about it. At her age I won't relax until they tell me she is awake after the anesthesia. Please hold a good thought for the old lady.

Holding good thoughts for you guys!

WiccanLiberal
08-17-2012, 10:18 AM
I dropped her off at 8 and the techs had to leave her in the carrier - she wouldn't let them move her to a kennel. They know about her temper. Right now I am doing chores to keep busy and keep my mind from going bad places. It helps. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Said1
08-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Good luck. I"m glad it's treatable. I had to put mine down, she had nail bed cancer that wasn't treatable: at least in a way that would improve her quality of life and she was really suffering. She was 15.

WiccanLiberal
08-17-2012, 08:40 PM
She's home and chased two of her younger sibs out of the food bowl already. The incision looks clean and they gave me a prescription for pain meds for her. You haven't lived until you've stood in the local CVS waiting for a prescription for a cat. Right now it's time for Mommy to have a glass of wine and relax.

WiccanLiberal
08-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Thought I would post the pic I took the other night. She was still drugged out, with dilated pupil on the good eye. Right now she is grooming after eating - always a good sign with a cat.

WiccanLiberal
08-19-2012, 05:22 PM
OK the damned cat has me completely buffaloed. She has been picky about her food. The vet told me she had a cut on her tongue that may have resulted from her falling and biting her tongue when she was sedated about a week and a half before the surgery. It is obviously not that much of a problem as the feline con artist just managed to down 5 or 6 little bites of steak from my dinner. Sat there and hovered until I gave in, the little actress.