PDA

View Full Version : New Star Wars in the works?

-Cp
05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
STAR WARS fans will sense a disturbance in the force amid rampant rumours that a new movie set before the prequels is to be announced in LA tomorrow.

The news of the "huge" announcement by Star Wars creator George Lucas comes on the 30th anniversary of the first film.

Chris Brennan, a member of Star Walking Inc - the Australian Star Wars appreciation society, is in LA for the offcial convention Celebration IV at the Los Angeles Covention Centre.

He said the rumours sweeping the venue is that Lucas will announce a new Star Wars movie is in the works.

Reports have been circling among fans and on the internet of a new Star Wars movie or movies set before the recent prequels at the time of Old Republic when the Jedi regained control of the galaxy from the Dark Lords of the Sith.

"He did make a slip in an interview a couple of weeks ago and say something about a forthcoming movie,'' Brennan said.

"The reporter went back to him and said `did you say movie?'

"George said no he didn't say that and tried to cover it up.''

Lucas has already confirmed a Star Wars live action TV series will be filmed in Australia from next year and will be set between the recent Episode III and the original 1977 Star Wars film which is Episode IV.

Despite opening in just 32 US theatres (Spiderman 3 recently premiered in 4324 US theatres) across the US on May 25, 1977 it went on to be the second highest grossing film all time behind Titanic.

Australian actors Bruce Spence who appeared in Episode III as Tion Medon as well as Zac Jensen, who played Jedi knight Kit Fitso in Episodes II and III, will be special guests at Celebration IV which will attract more than 60,000 fans, many in the costume of their favourite character.

They will join other cast members from all six films including Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia), Anthony Daniels (C3P0) and Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) at the convention.
Brennan says LA has been caught up in Star Wars fever.

"Just walking down the street here every second person is a Star Wars fan,'' he said.

"It's a big feeling of brotherhood and sisterhood.''

When asked why he was such a big Star Wars fan Brennan said: "It all comes down to the escapism. People can sit down and start watching Star Wars, any of the films, and get totally absorbed and get transported to a galaxy far, far away.''

Star Walking Inc is organising its own convention to mark the 30th anniversary of the Star Wars premiere in Australian on the 21-22nd October in Melbourne.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0%2C22049%2C21786454-5001026%2C00.html

Hobbit
05-24-2007, 12:28 PM
In the words of the most painful scene from that entire debacle he called a prequal trilogy...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear, after I saw the kind of writing given to Hayden Christenson as 'romantic' lines, I had to go home, bathe, then watch The Empire Strikes Back about 30 times to get Han Solo to wash the wuss from my mind.

And let's not forget that while the originals were special effects breakthroughs, the new movies have no special effects. When the only thing real on the screen is Natalie Portman (at least, I think she's real), the effects cease to be special.

Lucas is going to soak this franchise for all it's worth, ruining many of our favorite characters, and I, for one, will probably continue to pay him for the priviledge for reasons I cannot fathom, probably false hope.

P.S. If he panders to the Boba Fett fanboys, I'm gooing on a shooting spree. Boba Fett died in the Return of the Jedi. Just accept that and stop writing books about how he actually sprinkled his magic fairy dust, thought good thoughs, and flew off to Neverland where he can only be hurt if somebody pulls off his helmet. Frickin' douchbag bounty hunter. Just accept that he's dead.

P.P.S. I watched RotJ with commentary, and Lucas was thinking about adding in a scene showing Boba Fett climbing out of the Sarlaac, but in a rare moment of sanity, he didn't do it.

Mr. P
05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
They'll never top #1. IMO

-Cp
05-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I swear, after I saw the kind of writing given to Hayden Christenson as 'romantic' lines, I had to go home, bathe, then watch The Empire Strikes Back about 30 times to get Han Solo to wash the wuss from my mind.

LMAO!!!!!

Hobbit
05-24-2007, 12:39 PM
LMAO!!!!!

http://www.dutch-starwars.com/database/personen/pics/han.jpg
Badass

http://wzus.ask.com/r?t=a&d=us&s=a&c=p&ti=1&ai=30751&l=dir&o=0&sv=0a300520&ip=42a8cfdf&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wizards.com%2Fstarwars%2Fimages %2FROTS_anakin-evil_web.jpg
Douchebag Trying to Look Tough (looks more like Emo to me, which makes even Goths look tough)

http://65.214.37.88/ts?t=10520428728210425817
Bigger Douchebag...trying really hard not to suck...and failing miserably.

05-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Interesting. I think ill want to see what they come up with. Hopefully though if its a large enough prequel it will be long before any of the characters we know of are in it and we wont have to watch him decimate any characters.

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 01:34 PM
If Lucas is going to do another Star Wars, he may as well start a whole new project, because I, II, and III are a damn joke. That little faggot he had play Anikan Skywalker, aka Darth Vader was a PUSSY. And if I'd never seen that STUPID thing with the floppy ears, jarjar binks, I'd have been better off... "exsqeeze me?" There was WAAAAAY to much computer animation that sucked, and the stories weren't believable. It's hard for me to keep I, II and III next to IV, V and VI on the same shelf. They're not in the same class.

Abbey Marie
05-24-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm happy with this Star Wars movie (credit to dmp for first posting this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfLOtIhjVFc

5stringJeff
05-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Once upon a time, I head that there were supposed to be three trilogies. So if Lucas is planning on making #7-9, then that might be fun to watch. But I agree, less romance and more lightsaber duels.

nevadamedic
05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Once upon a time, I head that there were supposed to be three trilogies. So if Lucas is planning on making #7-9, then that might be fun to watch. But I agree, less romance and more lightsaber duels.

I agree it should be 7-9. Who cares what happened before. I would like to see the Republic get put back together and the Jedi Order assembled.
Haden Christenson was a horrible actor and was a real jerk. I watched him get awards for Revenge of the Sith, he wouldnt even get up and talk or even thank the fans, what a jerk.

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 03:53 PM
7, 8, 9 would be cool. But keep it on the serious side. Keep the lip shaking, spit flinging, jar jar binks idiot types out of it.

And please cast more MASCULINE characters. No more wimpy, whiny little boys.

05-24-2007, 04:42 PM

The romance wouldnt be bad if it was more Han Solo type manly romance rather than the Metrosexual Anakin romance.

5stringJeff
05-24-2007, 04:45 PM
The romance wouldnt be bad if it was more Han Solo type manly romance rather than the Metrosexual Anakin romance.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hobbit
05-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Lucas is one of the richest and most influential people in the world, but he has trouble getting laid and has, what, 3 divorces under his belt? Yeah, he needs to outsource ALL romance writing.

While I'm on the subject, I will address one of my favorite characters of all time, as featured in my avatar. When Han was dumped into the carbonite chamber, his original line, as written by Lucas, was, "I love you, too." Total douchebaggery, really wussy, and totally out of character for Han Solo (but WAAAAAAAY too masculine for Anakin, whose nuts are very neatly sealed in Senator Floppy Argentina's purse). They filmed the scene over and over and over again, trying different lines, but none of them seemed to work well, so they just told Harrison Ford to 'make something up.' So, he just blurted out, "I know." Then, it was lunchtime, and Lucas said something to effect of, "You're not actually going to use that take, are you?" Yeah, Lucas is the Shaq of acting of romance writing.

Abbey Marie
05-24-2007, 11:09 PM
My teenaged daughter loved Hayden Christenson. No one care what we old geeks like anyway. ;) :D

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 04:35 AM
(CNN) -- What the studio executives couldn't see, 13-year-old Stephen Colbert saw all too clearly.

"We went to school the next day unable to explain to our friends how everything was different now," the "Colbert Report" host, now 43, says about his first viewing of "Star Wars" in the History Channel documentary "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed."

How right he was.

"Star Wars," indeed, was a phenomenon -- one that caught most of Hollywood by surprise. Thirty years after its premiere on May 25, 1977 (in just 32 theaters), it remains the model for the summer blockbuster -- and a touchstone for two generations of moviegoers. (i-Report: Your "Star Wars" memories)

With the film's 30th anniversary Friday, celebrations are kicking into high gear. Besides the History Channel special, set to air 9 p.m. ET Monday, there are:

Several books (notably "The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film" [Del Rey]);

"Star Wars" weekends at the Disney-MGM Studios theme park near Orlando, Florida;

"Star Wars" Celebration IV, beginning Thursday in Los Angeles, California;

30th-anniversary action figures, released by Hasbro;

A screening of all six films on Cinemax on Friday;

And even "Star Wars" postage stamps, to go along with all those R2-D2 mailboxes that the United States Postal Service has installed around the country.

Not bad for a film rather unsensationally described in its own press kit as "an expression of [George Lucas'] boyhood fantasy life -- his love for 'Flash Gordon' and all the great mysteries and adventures in books and movies." (EW: The secrets of "Star Wars")

'It was touch-and-go for a time'
Given that press kits are usually chock-full of hyperbole, that somewhat timid portrayal may have indicated what studio execs, and even Lucas' friends, thought of the film.

After viewing a screening in March 1977, with the special effects still unfinished, Lucas' wife Marcia was aghast, according to Peter Biskind's 1970s movie history, "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls."

"It's the 'At Long Last Love' of science fiction," she said, referring to a well-known bomb of the time.

And the necessary special effects cost a fortune in 1977. Lucas' studio, 20th Century Fox, was nervous. "It was touch-and-go for a time," Lucas later recalled. (He wouldn't trust a studio again, creating his own company, Lucasfilm, to go along with his special-effects house, Industrial Light & Magic, for future endeavors.)

But moviegoers never doubted. The film was a hit from its first day, attracting such crowds of people that its opening was featured on Walter Cronkite's "CBS Evening News." Harrison Ford was practically ripped apart while shopping at a record store. The film's theme music, redone in disco form by a musician named Meco, became a No. 1 single.

The success of "Star Wars" paved the way for Lucas' entire empire, including massively successful merchandising tie-ins and five other films, broadening the "Star Wars" mythology. (Gallery: A guide to "Star Wars" characters)

Observers, from casual fans to Ph.D.-laden professors, have tried to explain the reasons for the films' success. Lucas had more than "Flash Gordon" on his mind when he started writing the first film in 1973; he had the myth-probing works of Joseph Campbell as well.

Lucas' universe incorporated such figures as the reluctant hero (Luke Skywalker), the reckless adventurer (Han Solo), the goofy sidekick (C-3PO, Jar Jar Binks) and -- perhaps most important -- the corrupted leader (Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader). It's a mythology that has deep resonance.

"A hundred years from now someone will be sitting here discussing the impact of 'Star Wars' and they will be seeing different things in it than we are seeing today, just as today we have classes in the university on Homer," Joan Breton Connelly, who teaches "From the Iliad to 'Star Wars' " at New York University, says in "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed."

Former NBC anchor Tom Brokaw is blunter.

"I thought 'Star Wars' was the quintessential Western played out in a different universe," he says in the History Channel documentary.

'All roads now lead to Tatooine'
"Star Wars" changed the Hollywood universe as well.

Previous box-office kings -- "The Sound of Music," "The Godfather," '70s disaster movies, even "Star Wars" predecessor "Jaws" -- were aimed primarily at adults. "Star Wars" brought in a huge teenage market that went to movies over and over (and over) again. In the decades since, this has become Hollywood's blockbuster template.

In a recent column, Atlanta Journal-Constitution film critic Eleanor Ringel lamented how "Star Wars" and "Saturday Night Fever" helped kill the so-called '70s golden age, when movies ranging from "The Godfather" to "The Sting" to "Shampoo" could be both critical and box office successes.

"Goodbye, Don Corleone and Travis Bickle. Hello, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Tony Manero. Move over, Little Italy and Nashville. All roads now lead to Tatooine and Brooklyn," she wrote.

And though the second "Star Wars" trilogy -- "The Phantom Menace," "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" -- did huge business, many fans prefer the first three films. (Most rate the second film, 1980's "The Empire Strikes Back," best; it's no coincidence that it had a script written by Lawrence Kasdan and sci-fi legend -- and noted screenwriter -- Leigh Brackett.)

Nevertheless, Lucas and his collaborators succeeded in creating a legacy.

"It is bad guys versus good guys, and everyone wants to see that story," says director -- and hardcore "Star Wars" fan -- Kevin Smith in the documentary. "That story will never grow tired, never grow old."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/23/star.wars.30/index.html