PDA

View Full Version : Quoting Posts

jimnyc
08-06-2012, 07:50 AM
A lot of posts of late are coming up with the quote tags screwed up and making threads more difficult to read. When the quote tags are over applied, or missing, the reader now has a jumbled bit of text to go through with multiple posts all put together as one, and it becomes difficult to tell who wrote what.

Here is a screenshot of what it should look like when you are making a post and having had quoted someone. Notice the opening quote AND closing quote:

http://i47.tinypic.com/4ufds2.jpg

The opening quote must have the word QUOTE of course, and it MUST be surrounded by an opening and closing bracket. Once the persons words you are quoting is completed, the word QUOTE must be at the end of the text. This ending quote MUST also have the opening and closing brackets surrounding the word - and just as important, the ending quote tage MUST have a backslash just prior to the word QUOTE. This means BOTH words have to be surrounded by opening and closing brackets, and the closing bracket must always contain the backslash, which is telling the code that this is the end of what needs to be quoted.

Another common mistake is when someone tries to make some of the quoted posts words as bold. What this does when you put some of the words in bold is the same as quoting, except now it puts the letter B in opening brackets and then at the end of what you would like bold should be another B, but just like when quoting, and the closing bracket must contain the backslash. This is how a typical bold statement should appear:

http://i46.tinypic.com/rhsfbt.jpg

And lastly, using them together. Many times people want to quote a member and then highlight some of their post in bold. These codes MUST remain independent. Here is an example of what I find many sometimes doing wrong, which is mixing the codes:

http://i49.tinypic.com/30sgknl.jpg

And this is how it should appear, with all opening tags and closing tags independent of one another. All tags need an opening "statement" and a closing statement, which all need to be cleanly by themselves.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2l9mf40.jpg

There is of course no rule over this, and we know it's still going to happen here and there. But hopefully with a little better understanding we can minimize how often this happens and make threads more fluid for everyone.

Btw, the idea of opening and closing tags applies the same for all of the others, for example: Italics, underline, centering, code, IMG...

jimnyc
08-06-2012, 08:50 AM
I hope this fixes more problems than it creates. But thanks to a tip from a member here, I have installed code from vbulletin that should prevent quotes from getting screwed up. If someone accidentally places the bold within the quote tags, it will prevent the post from going forward and alert you when you hit the submit button, and will need to be fixed. And even if you submit a post, both with the quote tags in brackets, but forget the backslash in the last one, it will prevent you from submitting until the code is fixed.

The idea behind this code is to simply prevent bogus code from being submitted with your posts, forcing users to fix the code and submit correctly. This will alleviate much of the issues where posts get quoted improperly and ten posts later the entire thread is jumbled characters and none of us knows who posted what.

Here is the only issue I can think of - if someone truly has no idea at all how the quoting functions work and have no idea at all how to fix the bogus code. I can see it being a bit frustrating. But I believe everyone knows how to use the code, just that at times when posting quickly, a letter here or a letter there gets misplaced. But this is open for testing and if becomes problematic, we can change it back. Or even better, if someone continually gets the error and really has no idea how to fix, just post here for additional help!

jimnyc
08-06-2012, 08:51 AM
I hope this fixes more problems than it creates. But thanks to a tip from a member here, I have installed code from vbulletin that should prevent quotes from getting screwed up. If someone accidentally places the bold within the quote tags, it will prevent the post from going forward and alert you when you hit the submit button, and will need to be fixed. And even if you submit a post, both with the quote tags in brackets, but forget the backslash in the last one, it will prevent you from submitting until the code is fixed.

The idea behind this code is to simply prevent bogus code from being submitted with your posts, forcing users to fix the code and submit correctly. This will alleviate much of the issues where posts get quoted improperly and ten posts later the entire thread is jumbled characters and none of us knows who posted what.

Here is the only issue I can think of - if someone truly has no idea at all how the quoting functions work and have no idea at all how to fix the bogus code. I can see it being a bit frustrating. But I believe everyone knows how to use the code, just that at times when posting quickly, a letter here or a letter there gets misplaced. But this is open for testing and if becomes problematic, we can change it back. Or even better, if someone continually gets the error and really has no idea how to fix, just post here for additional help!

I also want to thank "Anton Chigurh" who is the one who linked me to the code that helps us here!

Neo
08-06-2012, 09:46 AM
My 2 cents: My old desktop used IE and I never had issues like this, but when it died and I got a used laptop, it has Mozilla and I've got this issue and others, like with the useing of emo's. I HATE MOZILLA!

Anton Chigurh
08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
My 2 cents: My old desktop used IE and I never had issues like this, but when it died and I got a used laptop, it has Mozilla and I've got this issue and others, like with the useing of emo's. I HATE MOZILLA!It's not a browser specific issue.

aboutime
08-06-2012, 10:16 AM
It's not a browser specific issue.

I use GOOGLE CHROME only, and everything works perfectly, every time with Windows 7.

jimnyc
08-06-2012, 10:20 AM
This issue is the same regardless of browser or OS. It's a board issue, and whether the person posting utilizes the boards built in codes properly. If someone places a backslash in the wrong place, it'll come up messed up no matter what you're using. And if tags are placed in the appropriate place, it'll come up fine.

aboutime
08-06-2012, 10:29 AM
A lot of posts of late are coming up with the quote tags screwed up and making threads more difficult to read. When the quote tags are over applied, or missing, the reader now has a jumbled bit of text to go through with multiple posts all put together as one, and it becomes difficult to tell who wrote what.

Here is a screenshot of what it should look like when you are making a post and having had quoted someone. Notice the opening quote AND closing quote:

The opening quote must have the word QUOTE of course, and it MUST be surrounded by an opening and closing bracket. Once the persons words you are quoting is completed, the word QUOTE must be at the end of the text. This ending quote MUST also have the opening and closing brackets surrounding the word - and just as important, the ending quote tage MUST have a backslash just prior to the word QUOTE. This means BOTH words have to be surrounded by opening and closing brackets, and the closing bracket must always contain the backslash, which is telling the code that this is the end of what needs to be quoted.

Another common mistake is when someone tries to make some of the quoted posts words as bold. What this does when you put some of the words in bold is the same as quoting, except now it puts the letter B in opening brackets and then at the end of what you would like bold should be another B, but just like when quoting, and the closing bracket must contain the backslash. This is how a typical bold statement should appear:

And lastly, using them together. Many times people want to quote a member and then highlight some of their post in bold. These codes MUST remain independent. Here is an example of what I find many sometimes doing wrong, which is mixing the codes:

And this is how it should appear, with all opening tags and closing tags independent of one another. All tags need an opening "statement" and a closing statement, which all need to be cleanly by themselves.

There is of course no rule over this, and we know it's still going to happen here and there. But hopefully with a little better understanding we can minimize how often this happens and make threads more fluid for everyone.

Btw, the idea of opening and closing tags applies the same for all of the others, for example: Italics, underline, centering, code, IMG...

jimnyc: Way back when. I had been a qualified, certified HTML operator. Anyone who knows, or has used HTML to compose, or create any kind of Web page, or Web site knows those CODES you showed above.
HyperTextMarkupLanguage is behind nearly everything found on the Internet. It's easy, and fun to use.
Those opening, and closing TAGS are the standard across the entire Internet.

Anton Chigurh
08-06-2012, 10:45 AM
jimnyc: Way back when. I had been a qualified, certified HTML operator. Anyone who knows, or has used HTML to compose, or create any kind of Web page, or Web site knows those CODES you showed above.
HyperTextMarkupLanguage is behind nearly everything found on the Internet. It's easy, and fun to use.
Those opening, and closing TAGS are the standard across the entire Internet.This is BB code, specific to php driven message board software. Not to be confused with hypertext markup language. The BB code tells the software what markup to use when rendering.

aboutime
08-06-2012, 10:52 AM
This is BB code, specific to php driven message board software. Not to be confused with hypertext markup language. The BB code tells the software what markup to use when rendering.

I understand that Anton. Just made a comparison for those who might be interested. PHP is a totally different ball game...so to speak. No need to confuse. Much like javascript would do as well. Nonetheless. We...if we want, can use the html idea in conjunction with the Closed, and Open [ ] Para's, and get the same result.
Thanks.

Anton Chigurh
08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I understand that Anton. Just made a comparison for those who might be interested. PHP is a totally different ball game...so to speak. No need to confuse. Much like javascript would do as well. Nonetheless. We...if we want, can use the html idea in conjunction with the Closed, and Open [ ] Para's, and get the same result.
Thanks.Some of the BB codes also command the js in the forum board scripts, it's really quite slick and enhances security as well. Perl is wonderful.

aboutime
08-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Some of the BB codes also command the js in the forum board scripts, it's really quite slick and enhances security as well. Perl is wonderful.

Agreed. I still find myself amazed at times. Thinking, and wondering how easy the writers of those programs make it look.
Just the placement of certain characters, spaces, and marks based on ONE's and ZERO's is almost as impressive as looking at the Grand Canyon for the first time.

Anton Chigurh
08-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Agreed. I still find myself amazed at times. Thinking, and wondering how easy the writers of those programs make it look.
Just the placement of certain characters, spaces, and marks based on ONE's and ZERO's is almost as impressive as looking at the Grand Canyon for the first time.I'm a pretty fair to middling PHP writer. Not too bad at js either. It really is a world and universe all its own with comprehensive, ever evolving languages, etc. Wonderful brain gymnastics.

aboutime
08-06-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm a pretty fair to middling PHP writer. Not too bad at js either. It really is a world and universe all its own with comprehensive, ever evolving languages, etc. Wonderful brain gymnastics.

You got it. That's the best description of what it is I've heard in a long time.
When I was in the learning stages of html, and computers in general, in the Navy.
They originally called all of it "FRED" F'in Ridiculous Electronic Devices.

Anton Chigurh
08-06-2012, 11:52 AM
You got it. That's the best description of what it is I've heard in a long time.
When I was in the learning stages of html, and computers in general, in the Navy.
They originally called all of it "FRED" F'in Ridiculous Electronic Devices.Learning it is a killer and there's really only one way to do it, trial and error after study.

Really tough stuff, just kills ya initially until the light bulb comes on..

fj1200
08-06-2012, 12:38 PM

And there is always the edit button after noticing a quoting mishap.

jimnyc
08-06-2012, 12:40 PM
And there is always the edit button after noticing a quoting mishap.

Yeppers, but rarely utilized. :dunno:

aboutime
08-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Learning it is a killer and there's really only one way to do it, trial and error after study.

Really tough stuff, just kills ya initially until the light bulb comes on..

I know it's probably been a long time since you first began Anton. But, do you remember that FIRST time, when you discovered how amazing, and simple html coding actually was? Then, javascript being designed to accomplish so much?
That light bulb first came on for me in 1980, while I was at Comm school in San Diego for the navy. First, I learned how to type...with more than 2 fingers. 15 words per minute in one week. Then, in competition with a HUGE, OLD, computer as the course depended on speed to graduate.
Everything after that with computers took place at sea, with communications satellites, and long, long hours of practice, practice, practice.
Now. It's almost like breathing.

Anton Chigurh
08-06-2012, 09:12 PM
I know it's probably been a long time since you first began Anton. But, do you remember that FIRST time, when you discovered how amazing, and simple html coding actually was? Then, javascript being designed to accomplish so much?
That light bulb first came on for me in 1980, while I was at Comm school in San Diego for the navy. First, I learned how to type...with more than 2 fingers. 15 words per minute in one week. Then, in competition with a HUGE, OLD, computer as the course depended on speed to graduate.
Everything after that with computers took place at sea, with communications satellites, and long, long hours of practice, practice, practice.
Now. It's almost like breathing.1978.... High school newspaper News Editor... The old Compugraphic typesetting machines... Their code strings were Greek to all of us... And were a precursor to HTML and modern pagination.... But it finally dawned on me there was a language here, and one that although it had rules, those rules could be bent at times. IF you understood the language.

So that when I first ran into HTML coding, it really wasn't fair because I already understood the principles.

When js and jsp came along, it was just another evolutionary step for me. PHP was a horizon, one I still haven't reached the boundaries of.

SassyLady
08-07-2012, 04:13 AM
Yeppers, but rarely utilized. :dunno:

Jim, I very rarely post without utilizing the "preview post" function ... precisely because I want to make sure my post makes sense. I think the reason the edit is very rarely used is because people are in such a hurry to post what they say they don't reread it. I think a lot of board wars could be avoided if people read what they type before they post.

Anton Chigurh
08-13-2012, 05:56 PM
This fix sure made the issue just... Go away with no one even making mention of the change.

Looks like it really works nicely.

Abbey Marie
08-14-2012, 05:13 PM
If all else fails, highlight the words you want to quote, paste them if necessary, and click on the quote icon (the thought bubble). No bracket or missing backslash errors possible.

Anton Chigurh
08-14-2012, 05:32 PM
If all else fails, highlight the words you want to quote, paste them if necessary, and click on the quote icon (the thought bubble). No bracket or missing backslash errors possible.Nicely though, the issue just entirely disappeared after Jim added the new plugin for it. The board now won't post your post if it has quote tag errors, it takes you to the preview screen and lets you know you have a error.

He was concerned there would be complaints, etc. None have materialized. The problem just..... vanished.

Trinity
08-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh
This is BB code, specific to php driven message board software. Not to be confused with hypertext markup language. The BB code tells the software what markup to use when rendering.

Thanks.

you guys just lost everyone after these two comments, they are all now completely confused......:coffee:

Anton Chigurh
08-15-2012, 01:13 PM
you guys just lost everyone after these two comments, they are all now completely confused......:coffee:Heh.

Thunderknuckles
08-15-2012, 01:34 PM
you guys just lost everyone after these two comments, they are all now completely confused......:coffee:
Everyone except the coders among us :p

I was going to toss in a comparison to XML to show everyone how cool I am before I remembered there's nothing cool about computer programming unless you're one of those geeks that got lucky by starting out with a Google or Facebook and became filthy stinking rich. Hell, those guys aren't even cool but when you have enough money to drop on a Bugatti Veyron because you need a spare commuter vehicle, it don't matter.

...what was this thread about?
:p

Anton Chigurh
08-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Everyone except the coders among us :p

I was going to toss in a comparison to XML to show everyone how cool I am before I remembered there's nothing cool about computer programming unless you're one of those geeks that got lucky by starting out with a Google or Facebook and became filthy stinking rich. Hell, those guys aren't even cool but when you have enough money to drop on a Bugatti Veyron because you need a spare commuter vehicle, it don't matter.

...what was this thread about?
:pHaha!

The plugin Jim installed WAS a XML file!

Thunderknuckles
08-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Haha!

The plugin Jim installed WAS a XML file!
I'll be damned!

aboutime
08-16-2012, 01:55 PM

Trinity. Not to worry. If you are able to see print, and any colorful items on the screen you are looking at now. It is nothing but code. Nobody would have the satisfaction, luxury, or entertainment factor of the Internet, Computers, and Electrical magic if it wasn't for that language...you were lost with.

Most people drive cars, ride airplanes, and boats. But FEW of them know what makes everything work.

Let it go. Enjoy.

Trinity
08-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Trinity. Not to worry. If you are able to see print, and any colorful items on the screen you are looking at now. It is nothing but code. Nobody would have the satisfaction, luxury, or entertainment factor of the Internet, Computers, and Electrical magic if it wasn't for that language...you were lost with.

Most people drive cars, ride airplanes, and boats. But FEW of them know what makes everything work.

Let it go. Enjoy.

that's the problem I see code.....;)

I was actually laughing my butt off while reading your guys posts...because I know from experience once I start talking code to someone they get this glazed over look on their face and then they usually say HUH....:laugh:

Thunderknuckles
08-18-2012, 11:10 AM

I was actually laughing my butt off while reading your guys posts...because I know from experience once I start talking code to someone they get this glazed over look on their face and then they usually say HUH....:laugh:
What kind of coding do you do Trinity? Is it your career or just a hobby?
I've spent about 15 years in software development myself. Mostly VB and C# for stand alone applications but also just about everything related to web based coding.

Trinity
08-18-2012, 01:54 PM
What kind of coding do you do Trinity? Is it your career or just a hobby?
I've spent about 15 years in software development myself. Mostly VB and C# for stand alone applications but also just about everything related to web based coding.

I do freelance web development/design...... html, xhtml, JavaScript, css, etc. and what ever else I might need to learn, depending on what I have to do. :coffee:

Thunderknuckles
08-18-2012, 04:48 PM
I do freelance web development/design...... html, xhtml, JavaScript, css, etc. and what ever else I might need to learn, depending on what I have to do. :coffee:
Nice!
Have you delved into HTML5 and CSS3 at all and if so what do you think?
Personally, I think Silverlight and Flash are dead long term. Adobe has already handed in the towel with Flash, it's just a matter of time before Microsoft does as well with Silverlight.

jimnyc
08-18-2012, 05:18 PM
I :salute: the coders here at DP. And I'll be compiling a list for when I need help! :coffee: I'm more of a hardware guy myself, which is good, cause this means I can't help any of you if you have any problems!

aboutime
08-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Well said. By the way. Have you noticed the IRONY of how close the resemblance is between html code, java, and Politics, where many have little, if any idea what they are seeing, reading, or complaining about????????

That GLAZED OVER look seems to be nationwide....as in almost 55 million. Considering how many Americans voted for Obama then....and how few of them are still convinced about that HOPE and CHANGE thing....like waiting for LBJ to climb out of his grave, and grant all Black Americans the FINAL handful of dollars for the Great Society.

Trinity
08-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Nice!
Have you delved into HTML5 and CSS3 at all and if so what do you think?
Personally, I think Silverlight and Flash are dead long term. Adobe has already handed in the towel with Flash, it's just a matter of time before Microsoft does as well with Silverlight.

Yes I have messed with them a little bit. I agree Flash is dead and being replaced with Edge from Adobe, which is a their new web development tool for developing html5, css3 and javascript. It's not due to release till sometime next year but if your interested you can download it for free. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/edge/

jimnyc
07-28-2013, 03:43 PM

Bumping this post as I see some are still unsure how to use the quote feature. Please read this thread and see if we can get the option working better, as some threads are nearly impossible to read with the quote function butchered, or not even used.

tailfins
08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
There is a bug causing everything posted below a hyperlink to be part of that hyperlink.

Marcus Aurelius
08-01-2013, 11:09 AM
There is a bug causing everything posted below a hyperlink to be part of that hyperlink.

you sure> I posted a few links today, and everything seems fine.

tailfins
08-01-2013, 11:44 AM
you sure> I posted a few links today, and everything seems fine.

When I get time, I will go through the exact steps to replicate the bug.

jimnyc
08-01-2013, 02:02 PM

http://www.yahoo.com/

I would look at the code of what is being posted. Generally this would only happen if someone copy and pastes something from a website and not the URL bar, and then the tags are off, or no closing tag present, so the following text stays as part of the URL. But there's no bug as tons and tons of links are posted and it's not happening to me or anyone else.

aboutime
08-01-2013, 02:02 PM
<title>QUOTING POSTS</title>
<quote>Anyone who understand how to use HTML can present anything they want here.</quote>

<center> THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE IN HTML FOR DEBATE POLICY

Jim, if you look at the source code. You will see how easy it is.</center>

Marcus Aurelius
08-01-2013, 02:10 PM
http://www.yahoo.com/

I would look at the code of what is being posted. Generally this would only happen if someone copy and pastes something from a website and not the URL bar, and then the tags are off, or no closing tag present, so the following text stays as part of the URL. But there's no bug as tons and tons of links are posted and it's not happening to me or anyone else.

Your 140 is showing...

jimnyc
08-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Your 140 is showing...

Maybe 'someone' will come in and give us some lessons, help out the less fortunate who aren't exactly up to par on this here quotey quotey thing. :coffee:

Marcus Aurelius
08-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Maybe 'someone' will come in and give us some lessons, help out the less fortunate who aren't exactly up to par on this here quotey quotey thing. :coffee:

Well, I'm sure he's an 'expert'.

jimnyc
04-01-2017, 04:05 PM
sear

And hopefully this will help others or anyone. Bolding, italics and other ways of "quoting" really aren't quoting members, not by the way it's designed anyway. I come in and see a 10 page thread, but when I read one reply, for example, I have no clue at all who wrote what in that particular reply. It just looks like bold and regular writing and it's a pain in the ass to try and figure out who wrote what. I think just hitting the quote button in general most folks know how to do. But then when wanting to reply to multiple people at once, some aren't sure how. That's the "multiquoting". I have a video at the bottom that helps, or so I hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeOgA7D_B18

Kathianne
04-01-2017, 06:20 PM
I agree, Jim. Over the course of a couple posts, not using the 'quote' function makes it very difficult to go back and see exactly what each poster originally said. It tends to make me think the person using their own way of quoting are being less than truthful.

jimnyc
04-03-2017, 12:19 PM
I agree, Jim. Over the course of a couple posts, not using the 'quote' function makes it very difficult to go back and see exactly what each poster originally said. It tends to make me think the person using their own way of quoting are being less than truthful.

Well, the person this was intended for hasn't even opened this thread, even though I sent a notification. Anyone is free to post as they wish, but they shouldn't be surprised if others don't want to "work" to read their crap, and they get less responses.

I'm having a bad memory right now of Chesswars now!