PDA

View Full Version : ABC News accused of treasonous report

-Cp
05-24-2007, 12:29 PM
ABC News is coming under heavy criticism for its exclusive report revealing a purported CIA covert operation designed to destabilize the government of Iran.

Brian Ross of ABC reported last night:

The CIA has received secret presidential approval to mount a covert "black" operation to destabilize the Iranian government, current and former officials in the intelligence community tell the Blotter on ABCNews.com.
The sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the subject, say President Bush has signed a "nonlethal presidential finding" that puts into motion a CIA plan that reportedly includes a coordinated campaign of propaganda, disinformation and manipulation of Iran's currency and international financial transactions.

"Isn't this type of reporting TREASON?!" asks Robert Lipps in an ABC thread receiving hundreds of comments. "Where's the responsibility for the good of the country? This is disgusting! What are you thinking?"

Dawn Mansfield wrote: "Why, if it is covert, are you airing it and telling the Iranians what we are doing? Do you want more war and more killings of Americans? Let them do their job's and keep your mouths shut."

ABC's report has also caught the attention of at least two Republicans running for president.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney said he was "shocked."

"The reporting has the potential of jeopardizing our national security," Romney said. "To put it quite plainly, it has the potential of affecting human life, we may never know."

Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado called it "absolutely irresponsible for any media to publish a story like this."

"When foreign governments and terrorist groups can simply watch the news to find out about potential U.S. intelligence operations, we have a problem on our hands."

Tancredo will ask the attorney general to open a criminal probe into the source of the leak and the network's decision to disclose the information, as well as call for congressional hearings.

"I just hope Democrats and the media show as much interest in this as they did over Valerie Plame," he said.

ABC News has responded to the criticism, saying in a statement:

"In the six days since we first contacted the CIA and the White House, at no time did they indicate that broadcasting this report would jeopardize lives or operations on the ground. ABC News management gave them the repeated opportunity to make whatever objection they wanted to regarding our report. They chose not to."

ABC did receive some supportive comments on its thread, including:

"I for one appreciate ABC's courage in letting Americans know what the government is up to. It's the present insane U.S. government, not the Iranian, that's a threat to U.S. citizens." (Janet)

"Thank you, ABC News for keeping the public informed on the idiotic plans the Bush administration has in place to further escalate the conflict in the Middle East. Cheney is trying is hardest to start a war with Iran. The people of the U.S. need to WAKE UP and put an end to this madness. We need more accountability in Washington to prevent another Iraq from destroying the region." (Eric)

"Hurrah to ABC! Anybody with half a brain is going to know that this info was deliberately leaked by the 'Bushies.' More posturing. More cowboy diplomacy! Thanks ABC for doing the job the press is supposed to be doing and should have been doing in 2001." (Rob Mey)

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55846

loosecannon
05-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Common Cp, are you with us or against us?

Didn't you start a thread this AM that said Iran was holding a Soros org member for involvement in trying to destabalize Iran's gummit.

Now you post alleged proof that Iran was prob correct.....

It isn't a friggin secret that the US is trying to destabalize Iran's gummit.

The US gummit made no secret about it's goal of effecting regime change in Iran. And articles about covert opps in side Iran have been reported for two years.

Hobbit
05-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Tonight, on ABC, a special report on a top secret covert operation that could topple Ahmadenijad's insane regime, but first, let's take a look at the weather. You can see here in these sattellite pictures that the weather directly above the CIA safehouses in Tehran is quite sunny, meaning the agent carrying Iran's stolen nuclear research data will probably have to wait until dark to make his move, and coming up later in the show, a special interest story on how one woman copes with her husband's job as a covert agent posing as Ayatollah Khomenei's top advisor, complete with recent photographs, his home address, and a list of his greatest fears. ABC News...because we can.

By viewing this program you agree to absolve ABC and its parent company, affiliates, and associates of all responsibility in any assassination or other nefarious deeds relating, directly or indirectly, to any story ABC News has published.

Gaffer
05-24-2007, 03:42 PM
ahmalittlehitler broadcasting company abc

We know whose side they're on.

Doniston
05-24-2007, 04:04 PM
"I for one appreciate ABC's courage in letting Americans know what the government is up to. It's the present insane U.S. government, not the Iranian, that's a threat to U.S. citizens." (Janet) I have two comments, one for each of these posibilities. For this one.: I would applaude Anyone for bringing this information to the attention of the public. I cannot call it treasin, but a civic and patriotic DUTY. we should not be doing this:

"Thank you, ABC News for keeping the public informed on the idiotic plans the Bush administration has in place to further escalate the conflict in the Middle East. Cheney is trying is hardest to start a war with Iran. The people of the U.S. need to WAKE UP and put an end to this madness. We need more accountability in Washington to prevent another Iraq from destroying the region." (Eric)

"BUT" I strongly suspect that this is pure reteric, and saber-rattling, and likely leaked by the administraion to threaten Iran.

krisy
05-24-2007, 04:21 PM
I would like to know what purpose it serves to report things like this? We all know Iran is not a good guy,and if covert operations are in place,to benefit our country and keep it safe,why does Joe Schmoe need to know about it?

More examples of flat out crap that pours out of the left wing media. After 9-11,I heard on the radio that Walter Cronkite thought that theAmerican citizens had the right to know everything our government does,right down to operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. What is he thinking? I guess our right to know is more important than our soldiers safety.

The media in this country are disgustiong.

LiberalNation
05-24-2007, 04:23 PM
If the admin and gov weren't so full of holes things like this wouldn't get out. I would be more mad at the leakers not the paper that printed the scoop.

nevadamedic
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
ahmalittlehitler broadcasting company abc

We know whose side they're on.

:clap:

nevadamedic
05-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I would like to know what purpose it serves to report things like this? We all know Iran is not a good guy,and if covert operations are in place,to benefit our country and keep it safe,why does Joe Schmoe need to know about it?

More examples of flat out crap that pours out of the left wing media. After 9-11,I heard on the radio that Walter Cronkite thought that theAmerican citizens had the right to know everything our government does,right down to operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. What is he thinking? I guess our right to know is more important than our soldiers safety.

The media in this country are disgustiong.

The Liberal Media is more worried about publically attacking th Bush Admin. and getting ratings, rather then National Security.

krisy
05-24-2007, 04:47 PM
If the admin and gov weren't so full of holes things like this wouldn't get out. I would be more mad at the leakers not the paper that printed the scoop.

Of course the leakers are responsible as well.....but we are all Americans. The media has done this time and again,which in no way makes it right! Lives are put in danger as well as AMerica's safety.

I would bet most journalists call themsleves journalists before Americans.

musicman
05-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Tonight, on ABC, a special report on a top secret covert operation that could topple Ahmadenijad's insane regime, but first, let's take a look at the weather. You can see here in these sattellite pictures that the weather directly above the CIA safehouses in Tehran is quite sunny, meaning the agent carrying Iran's stolen nuclear research data will probably have to wait until dark to make his move, and coming up later in the show, a special interest story on how one woman copes with her husband's job as a covert agent posing as Ayatollah Khomenei's top advisor, complete with recent photographs, his home address, and a list of his greatest fears. ABC News...because we can.

By viewing this program you agree to absolve ABC and its parent company, affiliates, and associates of all responsibility in any assassination or other nefarious deeds relating, directly or indirectly, to any story ABC News has published.

Well done, Hobbit! Right on the money, unfortunately...

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 05:22 PM

I agree... SHIT... was that my OUTSIDE VOICE? I actually agree with LN!

If it's "covert", then how the hell does the news get wind of it?

05-27-2007, 11:44 PM
just happened to be going through some Romney clips. (Yeah I know i need to do other things). just saw this one on the ABC news report:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuhyTnP_xvo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuhyTnP_xvo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

nevadamedic
05-27-2007, 11:47 PM
just happened to be going through some Romney clips. (Yeah I know i need to do other things). just saw this one on the ABC news report:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuhyTnP_xvo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuhyTnP_xvo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

This is the second Romney clip you posted tonight, is there something your not telling us? ;-)

05-28-2007, 12:00 AM
This is the second Romney clip you posted tonight, is there something your not telling us? ;-)

Nah, ive been quite clear for a while that im supporting Romney.

Ive just happen to be going through some youtube stuff figured may as well share some stuff. im sure others will too.

lily
05-28-2007, 12:14 AM

EXACTLY! On the other hand we haven't had a non-story of treason since the NYT.........odd this isn't getting much air-play......as I said, non-story.

Psychoblues
05-28-2007, 12:19 AM
And a non issue, lily.

EXACTLY! On the other hand we haven't had a non-story of treason since the NYT.........odd this isn't getting much air-play......as I said, non-story.

It only excites the really squirrely ones. Dig it?

lily
05-28-2007, 12:27 AM
And a non issue, lily.

It only excites the really squirrely ones. Dig it?

Yep. It's also a nice diversion.......too bad it didn't take off as planned.

Psychoblues
05-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Don't let the acorns hit you on the head.

Yep. It's also a nice diversion.......too bad it didn't take off as planned.

But, after all, they are only acorns. God bless the squirrels.