PDA

View Full Version : All Black University

jimnyc
08-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Gabby Douglas, who just won the gold medal in gymnastics for the USA, is being heavily recruited to go to Spelman College in Georgia. So much in fact that the President of the school flew to London to meet with Gabby and her Mom and try to recruit her, and give her a bag of goodies from the school. Everything about this is cool, and I have no problem with the recruiting efforts, even if Gabby is only 16yrs old. My only concern is that it's an all black university. If racism is still such a hot topic in the US, and even blacks claim non-stop that it still exists, then WHY purposely set forth with separating races?

Can you imagine if a very wealthy group of people started a new school - and made it white only? And I understand history. But they can easily just change their rules and allow anyone that qualifies to attend, and not make on of those qualifiers being black.

cadet
08-09-2012, 09:57 AM
I... can't believe they can get away with that...

i understand the all woman part. there's plenty of girl only/guy only schools.

but... black women only?

jimnyc
08-09-2012, 10:08 AM
I... can't believe they can get away with that...

i understand the all woman part. there's plenty of girl only/guy only schools.

but... black women only?

It's been that way for well over a hundred years. And I can understand, to a degree, this being the case when everyone was separated as a result of slavery and other segregation laws. But times have changed as have the laws. And with blacks consistently whining about racism continuing, they can make a bug leap by changing this.

There are so many "black only" things still in the USA. The only "white only" thing that exist of course are labeled as crazy white racists.

revelarts
08-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Gabby Douglas, who just won the gold medal in gymnastics for the USA, is being heavily recruited to go to Spelman College in Georgia. So much in fact that the President of the school flew to London to meet with Gabby and her Mom and try to recruit her, and give her a bag of goodies from the school. Everything about this is cool, and I have no problem with the recruiting efforts, even if Gabby is only 16yrs old. My only concern is that it's an all black university. If racism is still such a hot topic in the US, and even blacks claim non-stop that it still exists, then WHY purposely set forth with separating races?

Can you imagine if a very wealthy group of people started a new school - and made it white only? And I understand history. But they can easily just change their rules and allow anyone that qualifies to attend, and not make on of those qualifiers being black.

They do have white students too. it's not "black only".

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424053111903480904576512372651069468-lMyQjAxMTAxMDEwNzExNDcyWj.html?mod=wsj_share_email

fj1200
08-09-2012, 10:11 AM
There are so many "black only" things still in the USA. The only "white only" thing that exist of course are labeled as crazy white racists.

Yup, "historically" black. An important distinction.

I recall an article that black colleges were recruiting white baseball players to fill out their rosters.

jimnyc
08-09-2012, 10:16 AM

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424053111903480904576512372651069468-lMyQjAxMTAxMDEwNzExNDcyWj.html?mod=wsj_share_email

Yep, I stand corrected, they do have some other than blacks enrolled there. So in that particular instance, and even though it's an extreme minimum outside of blacks, my labeling them of black only was incorrect. But the underlying idea behind my thread, which is "black only", still exists in so many other areas, and is accepted to a degree, and one is a racist if they are to take issue with it. And yet if a white group were to do the same or similar, they would feel the scorn of the nation.

gabosaurus
08-09-2012, 12:15 PM
There are a great many black universities in the U.S. They all started when blacks were not permitted in major universities. All of them are integrated now. But, through heritage, the majority remain primarily black. Just like a lot of smaller colleges elsewhere remain primarily white.

Spellman is a highly ranked university with a religious background. Obviously Gabby Douglas is being recruited as a student since the school does not have a gymnastics team.

Missileman
08-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Yup, "historically" black. An important distinction.

I recall an article that black colleges were recruiting white baseball players to fill out their rosters.

Hockey players and swimmers too! =)

Kathianne
08-09-2012, 05:37 PM
There are a great many black universities in the U.S. They all started when blacks were not permitted in major universities. All of them are integrated now. But, through heritage, the majority remain primarily black. Just like a lot of smaller colleges elsewhere remain primarily white.

Spellman is a highly ranked university with a religious background. Obviously Gabby Douglas is being recruited as a student since the school does not have a gymnastics team.

From all I can tell, from their site and others, SPELMAN, (one L) is 100% black. 96% female. The 'diversity' comes through admissions for blacks from Jamaica and such. Then there is the LGBT aspect, which seems to be all black, but probably explains the 4% that aren't 'female.'

Personally I think there should be all male and all female colleges, seems many used to be. :rolleyes: They were more successful then, again another hint towards what might be a good alternative to elementary and high schools. But this is racism, pure and simple. Even if some schools returned to 'male' and 'female', there's no way they could return to 'white.' So 'black' shouldn't be getting Pell Grants or any federal funding. Period.