PDA

View Full Version : Americans, Latinos upset over dual flag display

gabosaurus
08-10-2012, 02:55 PM
A Mexican immigrant named Leo Manzano won a silver medal in the Olympic 1500 meter run while competing for the U.S. To celebrate, he draped himself in both the American and Mexican flags.
The dual flag display has upset both American citizens and Mexican immigrants in the U.S. Both feel he should carry an American flag since he was competing for the U.S.
My sister has custody of a 17 year old girl who is a Mexican immigrant. I called and asked her how her neighbors in East Los Angeles felt about it. They were all pretty upset that the guy turned his back on his country.
My sister's charge is Mexican by heritage, but she is proud to be an American. To the point where she turned down a chance to try out for the Mexican junior national soccer team because she said that is not her country.

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/14/45/26/3298690/3/centerpiecewide.jpg

jimnyc
08-10-2012, 03:01 PM
And American should be proud to be an American, especially when at the Olympics. Also, if a Mexican lives in America, and even if one becomes a full blooded American citizen, can obviously still be proud to be Mexican. But I think if you are being sent to London, on America's dime, to represent the American Olympic team, you should be respectful of your fellow Americans and not fly another countries flag.

Thunderknuckles
08-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Doesn't really rankle my feathers.

aboutime
08-10-2012, 03:08 PM
And American should be proud to be an American, especially when at the Olympics. Also, if a Mexican lives in America, and even if one becomes a full blooded American citizen, can obviously still be proud to be Mexican. But I think if you are being sent to London, on America's dime, to represent the American Olympic team, you should be respectful of your fellow Americans and not fly another countries flag.

First jimnyc. They need to be taught what the word Respect really means.

If any AMERICAN money was used to help him get to London, and he was supported, sponsored, or protected by American taxpayer money. He disrespected America, and Americans. Probably not intentionally, but try to tell Americans who didn't see it as anything but...disrespect.

aboutime
08-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Doesn't really rankle my feathers.

Of course not. Why would it? Bet Obama's lies don't rankle your feathers either.

Voted4Reagan
08-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Bad call by the Athlete...

not a really big deal.... he has to deal with the fallout

Noir
08-10-2012, 03:15 PM
The outrage! The disrespect!! The sheer madness of it all!!!

aboutime
08-10-2012, 03:17 PM
The outrage! The disrespect!! The sheer madness of it all!!!

Patronize Much?

Thunderknuckles
08-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Of course not. Why would it? Bet Obama's lies don't rankle your feathers either.
I sort of look at from Jim's and Voted4Reagan's perspective. It was disrespectful but nothing to get worked up about. /shrug
+1 for working Obama into the whole thing though :laugh:

jimnyc
08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I sort of look at from Jim's and Voted4Reagan's perspective. It was disrespectful but nothing to get worked up about. /shrug

Yeah, I don't think he set out to be disrespectful. In fact, he probably thought the opposite and assumed he was being respectful to both. But it is a bit of a slap to the nation putting you in the position to be there to begin with. When some become adults they will see that while there was no horror or madness involved, there is a form of etiquette when it comes to the Olympic games and the countries that are choosing you to represent them.

aboutime
08-10-2012, 03:24 PM

Guess I'm just too much of a Pragmatic kinda person. Betrayal, no matter what form it takes today, is dishonest, and too accepted as natural enough to make us SHRUG.
I refuse to SHRUG about dishonesty, or betrayal.
If we stop pointing out both. We stand to lose even more.

jimnyc
08-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Guess I'm just too much of a Pragmatic kinda person. Betrayal, no matter what form it takes today, is dishonest, and too accepted as natural enough to make us SHRUG.

I would feel the same if I thought he had set out to betray. I don't think that was his intention though, I believe he intended to just honor both places. Bad choice with good intent.

Noir
08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Betrayal, that's a good one...

The unashamed dishonesty! The betrayal of all that is just and true!! This most defiant and treacherously disgusting act!!!

jimnyc
08-10-2012, 04:16 PM

I would tell you how/what to respond with if someone challenges you on the "betrayal" thing, but if you give them something to go on, they may disappear or refuse to answer you after that! :lol: :coffee: Call me King Ballbuster!

gabosaurus
08-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Though there are some rabble rousers who think otherwise, most Mexican immigrants (that I know of) that have come to this country are proud to be Americans. They are upset because they feel like anyone who is representing the U.S. should display the American flag.
This is probably more a Latino concern than an American one. They might wave the Mexican flag at soccer games or heritage events. But they don't want to see Latinos turning their back on the country that has taken them in.

Voted4Reagan
08-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Though there are some rabble rousers who think otherwise, most Mexican immigrants (that I know of) that have come to this country are proud to be Americans. They are upset because they feel like anyone who is representing the U.S. should display the American flag.
This is probably more a Latino concern than an American one. They might wave the Mexican flag at soccer games or heritage events. But they don't want to see Latinos turning their back on the country that has taken them in.
The ones that came here Legally? Yes
The Illegals should be sent back... they broke the law.

Trigg
08-10-2012, 08:40 PM
iThere is a duel citizenship American running for Saudi Arabia. IF she had won I would never expect her to fly the American flag as well as the Saudi one.

The players are there to represent their countries, it's disrespectful to fly another countries flag.

aboutime
08-10-2012, 09:39 PM

Gabby. I have never called you a rabble rouser. But I do thank you for identifying yourself that way. Of course. We know who you were directing that comment toward. Sometimes telling the truth about YOURSELF hurts. But we appreciate your willingness to step forward.

DragonStryk72
08-11-2012, 02:13 AM
Betrayal, that's a good one...

The unashamed dishonesty! The betrayal of all that is just and true!! This most defiant and treacherously disgusting act!!!

What's funny is that the Latinos that I've talked with are more furious than the rest of us. It's like when some Warhammer gamer goes and does something stupid that makes the rest of us look like assholes. We're more pissed off at them than anyone, on a "how dare you bring this down on us" kind of way.