PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Cash Music Festival Oct 5th.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-11-2012, 07:05 PM
http://www.democrattribune.com/story/1880569.html

Rosanne Cash looking forward to Johnny Cash Music Festival
Friday, August 10, 2012

By NAN SNIDER

Rosanne Cash
Singer-songwriter and author Rosanne Cash will host the second annual Johnny Cash Music Festival Friday, Oct. 5, at Arkansas State University in Jonesboro.
Proceeds from the concert will help fund the ongoing restoration of the Johnny Cash Boyhood Home Project in Dyess, Ark.

"Coming back to Northeast Arkansas each year is something I always look forward to," Cash said. "My father held this area near and dear to his heart. Dyess was where his roots were and where his love of music began. He drew strength and inspiration from this place, his family and friends."

Rosanne Cash was born in Memphis, Tenn., the first child of country music icon Johnny Cash and his first wife Vivian Liberto. After her parent's divorced, she was raised by her mother in Los Angeles, Calif. Her father went on to marry well-known singer and songwriter June Carter.

"My father said that every dirt clod and rock at Dyess had a special memory for him," Cash said. "It would mean so much to him to see the restoration being done at the home he grew up in, where he got his start. He often spoke of how the family sang at home, at church, and while working in the cotton fields. They all listened to the music on the radio and sang along with it. Dad kept a stalk of cotton in his office through the years as a reminder of the farm."

Director of Heritage Sites Dr. Ruth Hawkins heads the restoration project at ASU and refers to the work done at the Cash home as "preservation of something that is authentic."

"Dad took me and my sisters, Kathy, Cindy and Tara, to Dyess when we were teenagers," Cash said. "He wanted us to know about where he grew up. Of course, we always had to drive out that dirt road to his home place. He would get out and walk around and point out where things use to be when he was a kid.

"Just as Dad's life had influenced him as a singer and song writer, I find that to be true in my life as well. After graduating from high school, I joined my father and June's Road Show and got to see the entertainment business from the ground up. I did laundry, worked as a back-up singer, and on occasion was a soloist. I wasn't sure if I wanted to make music my career at first and had several other jobs. Slowly but surely, I found myself drawn into the entertainment business as a chosen career."

Rosanne Cash married Rodney Crowell in 1979, the same year she released her debut album "Right or Wrong." Her commercial breakthrough, "Seven Year Ache," was released in 1981. After having several country and Pop Chart song releases, she took a few years off to raise her family, which consisted of daughters, Caitlin, Chelsea, Hannah, and Carrie.

She went on to release four successive number one hit singles during her marriage to Crowell and after their divorce. She set an all-time record for women in country music. The revival of her father's country hit, "Tennessee Flat-Top Box" was a huge success, winning her Billboard's Top Single Artist Award.

"While in Arkansas I always get great responses when I sing the 'Tennessee Flat-Top Box' and 'Picking Time'," Cash said. "I have to admit I still get all choked up in doing them. I plan to do more area related songs this year also, like 'Old Cotton Fields Back Home.' I am writing an album now about the South, because my time spent here has reconnected me to Dyess and my love of the South. This experience has stirred my soul. I hope to release the album by the end of this year.

"I have never tired of the Dyess stories told to me by my father, and his brother Tommy and sister Joanne. They have managed to remember details about school, going up town and basketball teams they played on. Their keen remembrances of the home place has helped immensely with the interior restoration part of the project, as they pointed out where furniture, rugs, pictures, and the family piano once stood."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnny Cash grew up only about fifteen miles from my home town. My uncle knew him and my mom saw him perform well before his name was known outside of the local area. It is great that they are restoring his old home and of all the truly great singers in this world I admire him the most both for his talent, his wild spirit and his humanity.-Tyr

aboutime
08-11-2012, 07:13 PM
How do you do. My name is Sue!

Had the pleasure of seeing Johnny in person on the Mike Douglas show in Philadelphia. I think it was Mike Douglas. And we saw Eddie Arnold that same day.

Didn't like him too much at the time. But listening to his story, and his hard, difficult life story changed that.

Shadow
08-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Nice article. Enjoyed reading that. :cool:

KarlMarx
08-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Johnny Cash was one of those talents that just seem to transcend the years. I can't listen to his version of the song "Hurt" without breaking down. Unfortunately with the talent came the demons and he had his share. I hope that he's finally at peace.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Johnny Cash was one of those talents that just seem to transcend the years. I can't listen to his version of the song "Hurt" without breaking down. Unfortunately with the talent came the demons and he had his share. I hope that he's finally at peace.

Many would think it unmanly to admit that but I too share that with you. I get tears in my eyes when listening to that song and seeing the accompaning video with Johnny. Up until he did that song HURT (originally by Nine Inch Nails I believe ) my favorite songs of his were Sunday Morning Coming Down(Kris Krisofferson writer) and Big River both of which had huge impact on me when listening to them. I've found Cash's life story, amazing , awe inspiring and something that touches my soul.-Tyr

KarlMarx
08-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Many would think it unmanly to admit that but I too share that with you. I get tears in my eyes when listening to that song and seeing the accompaning video with Johnny. Up until he did that song HURT (originally by Nine Inch Nails I believe ) my favorite songs of his were Sunday Morning Coming Down(Kris Krisofferson writer) and Big River both of which had huge impact on me when listening to them. I've found Cash's life story, amazing , awe inspiring and something that touches my soul.-Tyr

I stumbled across this video of Johnny Cash's... every person in the video is a former substance/alcohol abuser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxh-FfElY0M

gabosaurus
08-12-2012, 07:42 PM
My dad got to see Johnny Cash play the famous Emo's Club in Austin during the South By Southwest Festival in 1994. He said that an entire club full of grizzled music veterans were awestruck.