PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Obama presidency great for stocks

Shadow
08-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Anyone agree with this? Just curious.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Barack Obama often gets slammed for his stewardship of the U.S. economy, but for stock investors, he's been one of the best presidents since World War Two.
At 1,400, the S&P 500 on Friday was closing in on a four-year high and was up 74 percent since January 20, 2009, the day Obama took office. Not since Dwight Eisenhower's first term has a president had such a strong run for their first term.

That rally might be just enough to get Obama re-elected, making him the first sitting president in the post-war era to win a second term with a jobless rate higher than 7.2 percent.

"Even though business and corporate sentiment is not good for Obama because they don't think he's been good for the economy, the fact that the market has done very well under him is a positive," said Ethan Siegal, head of The Washington Exchange, which analyzes politics for institutional investors.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48613404/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/?__utma=14933801.2000688213.1344697251.1344697251. 1344741662.2&__utmb=14933801.1.10.1344741662&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1344741662.2.2.utmcsr=bing|utmccn= (organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=msnbc&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12= Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=ww w.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Ear ned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=81965462

Kathianne
08-11-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm no expert on markets or the economy, I do however read some headliner financial articles. My take is that the stock market has been acting nearly in a cyclical manner, running high when they feel the 'fed' is going to act; slowing down when they get the numbers on unemployment, consumer confidence, underemployment, and news out of Europe.

I don't know that there couldn't be a 'bust' if inflation soars, as gas and food prices loom to skyrocket in the next few weeks, well short of 100 days.

Shadow
08-12-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm no expert on markets or the economy, I do however read some headliner financial articles. My take is that the stock market has been acting nearly in a cyclical manner, running high when they feel the 'fed' is going to act; slowing down when they get the numbers on unemployment, consumer confidence, underemployment, and news out of Europe.

I don't know that there couldn't be a 'bust' if inflation soars, as gas and food prices loom to skyrocket in the next few weeks, well short of 100 days.

I would have to agree with that. I have noticed a few articles popping up again this month about the corn crops being destroyed by drought and a gas hike on the horizon. These two issues seem to keep coming up every few months or so. Guess food/fuel prices are going to go up once again. Which makes the following quote pretty accurate in my opinion.

Tom Wales, director of North America analysis at Oxford Analytica, noted that most Americans who hold stocks do so in their 401(K) retirement accounts, and "if you're worried about your job, about your mortgage being underwater, then the fact that your 401(K) looks less bare is not that reassuring."

taft2012
08-12-2012, 09:09 AM
The volume is way down on trading. Individual investor trading has just about ground to a standstill. What's going on is the funds swapping papers around via computer trading. Lots of people have stocks in funds in their 401Ks, and a lot of it is being shuffled around to create a perception of growth. It is driving the indexes upwards, but confidence among individual investors is clearly at a nadir.

If Obama is re-elected, expect a HUGE sell off before the end of 2012 to avoid the increased capital gains taxes starting in 2013.

aboutime
08-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Anyone find it rather Ironic that Wall street finds Obama great for stocks, while all of Obama's SHEEP have declared WAR, and even OCCUPIED Wall street?

MONEY TALKS, and Obama is probably heavily invested by PROXY, banking on his Losing in November so he can CASH IN and laugh at all of the easily led Americans who were dumb enough to vote him into office.
Obama loves Obama, and Obama Loves Money...Your Money, Our Money, MY Money, and even that LAST 3 dollars he gets from the people who CAN'T AFFORD it. And they will pay for Obama for the rest of their lives. No wonder Wall Street Loves Obama. Misery Loves Company.

aboutime
08-12-2012, 03:26 PM
The volume is way down on trading. Individual investor trading has just about ground to a standstill. What's going on is the funds swapping papers around via computer trading. Lots of people have stocks in funds in their 401Ks, and a lot of it is being shuffled around to create a perception of growth. It is driving the indexes upwards, but confidence among individual investors is clearly at a nadir.

If Obama is re-elected, expect a HUGE sell off before the end of 2012 to avoid the increased capital gains taxes starting in 2013.

taft2012. Shhhhhhhhhh! You shouldn't be telling anyone that kind of stuff. It will ruin the obama legacy long before he hopes it will be discovered.
Obama has successfully turned the UNEDUCATED Americans against Wall Street, while, at the same time. He has been preparing his Legacy of Corruption, and Dishonesty that will take him back to AL CAPONE-VILLE in the WINDY RAHM CITY.

fj1200
08-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Anyone agree with this? Just curious.

No, the Fed has been great for stocks as well as BO "benefiting" from the huge cratering that happened before he took office. If he was great he wouldn't have been POTUS when the market further plummeted in March? of '09.

Kathianne
08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
We're nearly 4 years into the Obama admin, just as Bush is no longer an excuse for the quagmire we're in, so he's not the reason the stock market is close to record high. So, why is the stock market so high? Obama's policies? Consumer Confidence? Unrecognized growth in companies?

Or is there manipulation going on here, like Libor? Are the banks that are in the governments pocket flashing the markets? Are the American people, once again, as in real estate, going to bear the burden?

you can bet your sweet ass.

fj1200
08-12-2012, 11:08 PM
We're nearly 4 years into the Obama admin, just as Bush is no longer an excuse for the quagmire we're in, so he's not the reason the stock market is close to record high. So, why is the stock market so high? Obama's policies? Consumer Confidence? Unrecognized growth in companies?

Flight to quality? Bond yields suck? The market was oversold??? PE ratios (http://www.multpl.com/) are a little above mean/average but not ridiculous.

Kathianne
08-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Flight to quality? Bond yields suck? The market was oversold??? PE ratios (http://www.multpl.com/) are a little above mean/average but not ridiculous.

My tendency is to go with manipulations of markets.

fj1200
08-12-2012, 11:12 PM
They can't manipulate the markets. Libor is different. And besides, who is "they"?

Kathianne
08-13-2012, 12:31 AM
They can't manipulate the markets. Libor is different. And besides, who is "they"?

Seriously, I've not a clue. I know I'm reading too many articles from Reuters and AP, that fail to give background on their articles that are 'breaking' or 'exclusive.' I'm not trying to read, 'Financial Journal,' just a regular news article, that is incomprehensible. That's wrong. Audience isn't likely. Something else is afoot.