PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Record Day: Dust Off Your Turntables!

Shadow
08-12-2012, 02:19 PM
My kids won a Street Talk album for me on Ebay awhile back...last album I have ever recieved. Told me it was so I could record it over and over and play it in my car indefinately. Maybe I will put it on. :)

************************************************** ************************************************** *********************

Pull out your albums and dust off your record players. It’s Vinyl Record Day. After the San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors in California adopted a proclamation declaring Aug. 12 Vinyl Record Day in 2002, the Vinyl Record Day Co. (http://www.vinylrecordday.com/) was formed as a non-profit dedicated to preserving the culture, art and future of vinyl. The date is a nod to when Thomas Edison invented the phonograph in 1877.

Since 2008, Brooklyn-based photographer and self-proclaimed vinyl addict Eilon Paz (http://www.eilonpaz.com/) has been traveling the globe to document record collections and the personalities behind them, and establishing an international hit website, Dust & Grooves (http://www.dustandgrooves.com/). He has gained access to the personal troves of well-known collectors from around the globe, showcasing each collector as well as his or her collections.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/08/vinyl-record-day-dust-off-your-turntables/

aboutime
08-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Sounds good Shadow.

My wife is the proud owner, and collector of (I think) 15 of the ORIGINAL Beatle's Albums from the sixties.
She is Irish, came from Ireland in 1955 with her Mom, and Dad who was in the Army Air Corps during the late Second World War.
So, her albums are MORE than collectors items, and the Original Dust Covers, with advertisements on the back, and in the fold-outs, with the Lyrics are PRICELESS.

We are agreed. We will pass them on to our Grandkids.
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE!
SARGENT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND!
Eat your heart out Beatle's Fan's.

Shadow
08-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Sounds good Shadow.

My wife is the proud owner, and collector of (I think) 15 of the ORIGINAL Beatle's Albums from the sixties.
She is Irish, came from Ireland in 1955 with her Mom, and Dad who was in the Army Air Corps during the late Second World War.
So, her albums are MORE than collectors items, and the Original Dust Covers, with advertisements on the back, and in the fold-outs, with the Lyrics are PRICELESS.

We are agreed. We will pass them on to our Grandkids.
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE!
SARGENT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND!
Eat your heart out Beatle's Fan's.

I have a lots of albums too. Some Beatles,Tommy James,Monkee's,Loggins and Messina,Bread,Elvis... plus lots of other stuff. I haven't dusted them off and listened to them in awhile though.

Remember when albums came with posters inside? I have some of those too...along with some autographed glossy photos that came in some as well. Always loved opening the albums and finding the freebies included. :)

taft2012
08-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Lord, do I have vinyl.

I'm own the old family homestead. When my grandparents passed, their vinyl came here. And when my parents passed their vinyl stayed here. My four siblings all moved away decades ago and left their vinyl here. Plus my extensive vinyl collection.

I bought a USB turntable and have been ripping tunes to MP3 for my iPod. It'll take the rest of my life though to do all the vinyl I have here. I think when I retire I may start auctioning it all off on Ebay.

Shadow
08-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Lord, do I have vinyl.

I'm own the old family homestead. When my grandparents passed, their vinyl came here. And when my parents passed their vinyl stayed here. My four siblings all moved away decades ago and left their vinyl here. Plus my extensive vinyl collection.

I bought a USB turntable and have been ripping tunes to MP3 for my iPod. It'll take the rest of my life though to do all the vinyl I have here. I think when I retire I may start auctioning it all off on Ebay.

I think I am the only one in my family interested in music to the extent that I am. My mom used to have a friend that liked to visit garage sales and flea markets buying up albums. She let me pick some of her stash while she was still alive (she had some good stuff too). Lots of oldies. I think I got a Producers album and a Coasters one from her (possibly a couple Leo Sayer).

Where my family tends to hoarde stuff...is with the books (big readers...all of them). Then they get passed on to the next lucky person. Guess what...I am the last in that chain,and I have a shit load of books...more than I will ever read in a life time. Some times I try pawning them off on the folks I work with. :)

gabosaurus
08-12-2012, 07:24 PM
My dad has a nice turntable and several hundred albums dating back to the 60's. He once had enough albums to fill a room (around 2,000 or so) but sold the majority of them to a record collector about a decade or so.

When my sister and I were growing up, the TV was rarely on. The stereo was ALWAYS on. I feel fortunate to have grown up with music and not TV.

Shadow
08-12-2012, 07:36 PM
My dad has a nice turntable and several hundred albums dating back to the 60's. He once had enough albums to fill a room (around 2,000 or so) but sold the majority of them to a record collector about a decade or so.

When my sister and I were growing up, the TV was rarely on. The stereo was ALWAYS on. I feel fortunate to have grown up with music and not TV.

I shouldn't say my family was never into music, because my mom loved listening to music late at night when the kids where in bed. When I was really young...my mom had a huge console TV with a stereo built into on one side...turntable on the other. That puppy was bigger than a piano. She didn't have a huge collection of music. But I do remember falling alsleep at night listening to Charlie Rich,Eddie Arnold,Charlie Pride,Pat/Debby Boone,Connie Francis,Connie Smith and Captain and Tennille quite a bit.

gabosaurus
08-12-2012, 07:50 PM
My dad grew up with music. His parents encouraged him to listen to what he wants. My dad started out with pop and classic rock, then got into heavy metal in the late 60s and early 70s. Then he got into English and American punk.
A lot of families have unique father-son and father-daughter bonding experiences. Every Saturday or Sunday, my dad would take me out to new and used record stores. I remember going to the Pasadena Flea Market and other such music hunting expeditions.
My dad is in his late 50s and remains among the world's oldest metalheads.:laugh:

We are passing down the love of music to my daughter. We have enjoyed three generations of my family at several concerts so far. The next will be Dec. 4 when my parents, my husband and I and my daughter go to see Bruce Springsteen at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

Shadow
08-12-2012, 07:58 PM
My dad grew up with music. His parents encouraged him to listen to what he wants. My dad started out with pop and classic rock, then got into heavy metal in the late 60s and early 70s. Then he got into English and American punk.
A lot of families have unique father-son and father-daughter bonding experiences. Every Saturday or Sunday, my dad would take me out to new and used record stores. I remember going to the Pasadena Flea Market and other such music hunting expeditions.
My dad is in his late 50s and remains among the world's oldest metalheads.:laugh:

We are passing down the love of music to my daughter. We have enjoyed three generations of my family at several concerts so far. The next will be Dec. 4 when my parents, my husband and I and my daughter go to see Bruce Springsteen at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

That's pretty cool Gabby! My mom used to love going to the rodeo. That was probably the only type of concerts we attended together. She can't anymore though...she is on oxygen and can't get around very well anymore. I try to take my kids every year...usually twice...once to see a performer I like...then I let them pick the other. I think the last two we went to were Mark Chesnut and then later Uncle Kracker. Both lots of fun.

My oldest daughter will also go to any concert you want to attend (my youngest...not so much). We have gone to several together. Good bonding moments for sure.