PDA

View Full Version : Bush: If The Iraqis WereTo Say Leave, We Will Leave

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Q Thank you, Mr. President. You say you want nothing short of victory, that leaving Iraq would be catastrophic; you once again mentioned al Qaeda. Does that mean that you are willing to leave American troops there, no matter what the Iraqi government does? I know this is a question we've asked before, but you can begin it with a "yes" or "no."

THE PRESIDENT: We are there at the invitation of the Iraqi government. This is a sovereign nation. Twelve million people went to the polls to approve a constitution. It's their government's choice. If they were to say, leave, we would leave.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/05/20070524.html

loosecannon
05-24-2007, 02:24 PM

The Iraqi Parliment voted just two weeks ago and the result was the majority wants us to leave.

Bush is once again FOS.

-Cp
05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
The Iraqi Parliment voted just two weeks ago and the result was the majority wants us to leave.

Bush is once again FOS.

:link: :link: :link:

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 02:32 PM

Bush is once again FOS.

Yeah loose, let's see a link to that tid bit.

loosecannon
05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah loose, let's see a link to that tid bit.

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/51624/

Majority of Iraqi Lawmakers Now Reject Occupation

On Tuesday, without note in the U.S. media, more than half of the members of Iraq's parliament rejected the continuing occupation of their country. 144 lawmakers signed onto a legislative petition calling on the United States to set a timetable for withdrawal, according to Nassar Al-Rubaie, a spokesman for the Al Sadr movement, the nationalist Shia group that sponsored the petition.

It's a hugely significant development. Lawmakers demanding an end to the occupation now have the upper hand in the Iraqi legislature for the first time; previous attempts at a similar resolution fell just short of the 138 votes needed to pass (there are 275 members of the Iraqi parliament, but many have fled the country's civil conflict, and at times it's been difficult to arrive at a quorum).

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 02:43 PM

On Tuesday, without note in the U.S. media, more than half of the members of Iraq's parliament rejected the continuing occupation of their country. 144 lawmakers signed onto a legislative petition calling on the United States to set a timetable for withdrawal, according to Nassar Al-Rubaie, a spokesman for the Al Sadr movement, the nationalist Shia group that sponsored the petition.

It's a hugely significant development. Lawmakers demanding an end to the occupation now have the upper hand in the Iraqi legislature for the first time; previous attempts at a similar resolution fell just short of the 138 votes needed to pass (there are 275 members of the Iraqi parliament, but many have fled the country's civil conflict, and at times it's been difficult to arrive at a quorum).

Thanks. We should leave. Bush had better step up. It will be interesting to see if anybody picks up on this and brings it to the forefront. We could use those troops on our own southern border.

loosecannon
05-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks. We should leave. Bush had better step up. It will be interesting to see if anybody picks up on this and brings it to the forefront. We could use those troops on our own southern border.

We agree, here is the full response

Q Thank you, Mr. President. You say you want nothing short of victory, that leaving Iraq would be catastrophic; you once again mentioned al Qaeda. Does that mean that you are willing to leave American troops there, no matter what the Iraqi government does? I know this is a question we've asked before, but you can begin it with a "yes" or "no."

THE PRESIDENT: We are there at the invitation of the Iraqi government. This is a sovereign nation. Twelve million people went to the polls to approve a constitution. It's their government's choice. If they were to say, leave, we would leave.

Q -- catastrophic, as you've said over and over again?

THE PRESIDENT: I would hope that they would recognize that the results would be catastrophic. This is a sovereign nation, Martha. We are there at their request. And hopefully the Iraqi government would be wise enough to recognize that without coalition troops, the U.S. troops, that they would endanger their very existence. And it's why we work very closely with them, to make sure that the realities are such that they wouldn't make that request -- but if they were to make the request, we wouldn't be there.

In my mind that sounds remarkably like a threat or blackmail. And nothing at all like 'we are there at their invitation".

Birdzeye
05-24-2007, 03:08 PM
We agree, here is the full response

In my mind that sounds remarkably like a threat or blackmail. And nothing at all like 'we are there at their invitation".

Yeah, if anything, it sounds like he's trying very hard to persuade the Iraqis to invite us to stay - indefinitely. War without end. :mad:

nevadamedic
05-24-2007, 03:12 PM

and your post a link to a partisan site right after you bitch because that the only evidence you say I post. Can we say double standards.

loosecannon
05-24-2007, 03:19 PM
and your post a link to a partisan site right after you bitch because that the only evidence you say I post. Can we say double standards.

So how do you like THESE apples Nev slim?

http://faithfulprogressive.blogspot.com/2007/05/iraqi-parliment-demands-us-troops-leave.html

Iraqi Parliment Demands US Troops Leave; US Set to Require Benchmarks for Them
~Faithful Progressive

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/McCain_Iraqi_government_cant_order_U.S._0513.html

McCain: Iraqi government can't order U.S. withdrawal

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/10/AR2007051000387.html

Iraqi Lawmakers Back Bill on U.S. Withdrawal

5stringJeff
05-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Legislative resolutions are nonbinding.

Gaffer
05-24-2007, 04:02 PM

This is old news. This happened while sadr was still in iraq. It was part of his attempt to take over the government. You posted this same link a month ago in another thread. It was old news then.

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 04:07 PM
In any case, if they don't want us there, I think we should leave. That's what Tommy Thompson says too. Make them have a vote. Stay or leave, and honor their wishes.

Doniston
05-24-2007, 04:23 PM
:link: :link: :link: I don't have a link either, but it happened.

5stringJeff
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
When the Iraqi Parliament passes a bill, not a non-binding petition, that calls for American pullout, then we can/should leave. That has not happened.

loosecannon
05-24-2007, 04:48 PM
This is old news. This happened while sadr was still in iraq. It was part of his attempt to take over the government. You posted this same link a month ago in another thread. It was old news then.

Check the dates Gaffe. This month.

loosecannon
05-24-2007, 04:49 PM
When the Iraqi Parliament passes a bill, not a non-binding petition, that calls for American pullout, then we can/should leave. That has not happened.

The Iraqi Parliment doesn't have the legal authority to tell the US to leave anyway.

Bush said in no uncertaion terms if they ask us to leave, we leave.

They asked us, we won't leave.

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
The Iraqi Parliment doesn't have the legal authority to tell the US to leave anyway.

I think any sort of majority request or indication from the Iraqi government that they don't want us there, then we should leave.

TheStripey1
05-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah, if anything, it sounds like he's trying very hard to persuade the Iraqis to invite us to stay - indefinitely. War without end. :mad:

A war without end and it won't be their (BA) children going, fighting, losing limbs and dying...

it'll be yours(points east)... and yours (points in opposite direction)... and yours(points north)... and yours too(points in opposite direction)...

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 04:59 PM
A war without end and it won't be their (BA) children going, fighting, losing limbs and dying...

it'll be yours(points east)... and yours (points in opposite direction)... and yours(points north)... and yours too(points in opposite direction)...

There's never been a "war without end" in history. This war will end at some point, and probably sooner than later, because support for it is waining, even among conservatives.

As far as troops dying, that's what happens in a war. People die. And the people making up our military are there because they WANT to be. It's all volunteer. So they don't need you to feel sorry for them, or make it sound like someone condemned them to death. That's just your bullshit spin.

TheStripey1
05-24-2007, 05:05 PM

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/teufel/devil-smiley-083.gifHas hell frozen over? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/teufel/devil-smiley-083.gif

and PR, I agree with you on bringing the troops home to american soil and deploying them on our own borders...

TheStripey1
05-24-2007, 05:06 PM

sure if it will have an effect next time we try it...

:dance:

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 05:06 PM
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/teufel/devil-smiley-083.gifHas hell frozen over? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/teufel/devil-smiley-083.gif

and PR, I agree with you on bringing the troops home to american soil and deploying them on our own borders...

Some issues are bigger than us, and common sense prevails. :beer:

TheStripey1
05-24-2007, 05:18 PM

sure... if it will mean that we can do it with impunity next time... is a newspaper in Winston-Salem, NC, good enough for you?

Friday, May 11, 2007
Bill in Iraqi parliament requires a timeline for U.S. withdrawal
A majority of the members signed draft legislation

THE WASHINGTON POST
(http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351156603&path=!nationworld&s=1037645509161)

A majority of Iraq’s parliament has signed a draft bill that would require a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq and freeze current levels, a sign of a growing division between Iraqi legislators and the prime minister that mirrors the gulf between the Bush administration and its critics in Congress.

The draft bill would create a timeline for a gradual departure, much as some Democrats in the United States have demanded, and require the Iraqi government to secure parliament’s approval before any extensions of the United Nations mandate for foreign forces in Iraq, which expires at the end of 2007.

...snip

TheStripey1
05-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Legislative resolutions are nonbinding.

granted, it's a draft, but the majority voted for the timeline... if they want us out of their country, do you think we should just say tuff shit and stay anyway?

TheStripey1
05-24-2007, 05:21 PM

no, gaff... it was earlier this month as I just found out... May 11th... if the majority of the Iraqi parliament wants us out, do you think we should stay anyway?

why?

TheStripey1
05-24-2007, 05:22 PM
In any case, if they don't want us there, I think we should leave. That's what Tommy Thompson says too. Make them have a vote. Stay or leave, and honor their wishes.

sounds good to me... got purple finger?

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 05:24 PM
sounds good to me... got purple finger?

Pray tell.... what is "purple finger?"

TheStripey1
05-24-2007, 05:27 PM
There's never been a "war without end" in history. This war will end at some point, and probably sooner than later, because support for it is waining, even among conservatives.

As far as troops dying, that's what happens in a war. People die. And the people making up our military are there because they WANT to be. It's all volunteer. So they don't need you to feel sorry for them, or make it sound like someone condemned them to death. That's just your bullshit spin.

There hasn't been a forever war until now, PR... bush's war is the forever war...

easy for you to say here in the good ol' us of a... any of your kids involved in the war, PR?

I want the troops home safe with their families... republicans want them in Iraq in harms' way trying to achieve something called "victory"... if you were a trooper stuck in Iraq, who would you think had your best interests at heart... me or the republicans?

TheStripey1
05-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Pray tell.... what is "purple finger?"

cmon, PR, you remember doncha? that's what the Iraqis that voted in the last election got after they voted... it was how the election officials could tell that they voted... it was indelible ink... and purple in color... hence the name...

the purple finger...

TheStripey1
05-24-2007, 05:39 PM
cmon, PR, you remember doncha? that's what the Iraqis that voted in the last election got after they voted... it was how the election officials could tell that they voted... it was indelible ink... and purple in color... hence the name...

the purple finger...

link? was someone going to ask for a link?

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/30/iraq.voter.reax/

I like mine with mustard, hot of course, grilled onions and peppers...

but if you've an aversion to CNN, just try any of these 650,000+ hits...

Google News Results for Iraqi purple finger (http://www.google.com/search?q=Iraqi+purple+finger+&hl=en&safe=off&start=0&sa=N)

Gaffer
05-24-2007, 06:03 PM
no, gaff... it was earlier this month as I just found out... May 11th... if the majority of the Iraqi parliament wants us out, do you think we should stay anyway?

why?

I'll take your word for it as to the date. But I remember reading this same thing long ago. maybe its a second try.

If the iraqi's want us to leave then we should definately pull out. Would be interesting to see how many leave the country themselves and are killed when we do. They are politicians, they will say what they think their constituants want to hear and do the opposite. That's why its a non-binding bill. Like the dems here they have to appease the moonbats.

Doniston
05-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Pray tell.... what is "purple finger?" Purple finger is what Iraqis get when voting in their elections. (It isn't Catching.)

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 06:09 PM
There hasn't been a forever war until now, PR... bush's war is the forever war...

easy for you to say here in the good ol' us of a... any of your kids involved in the war, PR?

I want the troops home safe with their families... republicans want them in Iraq in harms' way trying to achieve something called "victory"... if you were a trooper stuck in Iraq, who would you think had your best interests at heart... me or the republicans?

Well I don't see how you can call it a forever war when it's only been five years. I'd say forever means something more like... since the dawn of man.

Nobody WANTS troops in harms way, but war is war. People die. I spent eight years in the military, and I was ready to go to war, and die if need be. I was a soilder, and obey orders and fight for my country is what I was there to do. It's the same for the troops today.

Pale Rider
05-24-2007, 06:11 PM

the purple finger...

Didn't recall it. Thanks for explaining it.

5stringJeff
05-24-2007, 06:11 PM

The document they signed was non-binding. That means the government has not asked us to leave.

Gem
05-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Qouting Loose Cannon:

And it's why we work very closely with them, to make sure that the realities are such that they wouldn't make that request

Sounds like cold-assed busted to me, Loose Cannon! That was the epitomy of "open mouth, insert foot". And, as a friend of mine likes to say "Waaaay too much free information"!!!

Thank you, George! :clap:

Gem
:coffee: :dance:

Doniston
05-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Qouting Loose Cannon:

Sounds like cold-assed busted to me, Loose Cannon! That was the epitomy of "open mouth, insert foot". And, as a friend of mine likes to say "Waaaay too much free information"!!!

Thank you, George! :clap:

Gem
:coffee: :dance: HI GEM

Gunny
05-24-2007, 09:21 PM

Bush is once again FOS.

The Iraaqi government voted for a gradual withdrawal of US troops, being replaced by Iraqi troops, not an immediate withdrawal.

And while they voted for it, they have not yet set a timetable.

loosecannon
05-24-2007, 11:33 PM
The Iraaqi government voted for a gradual withdrawal of US troops, being replaced by Iraqi troops, not an immediate withdrawal.

And while they voted for it, they have not yet set a timetable.

They set a timetable. The authority for the UN coaltion forces expires at years end. They do NOT want it extended.

They did hedge in individual discussions about how the transition would occur. But not extending the UN authorization IS a timetable.

Americans want us to leave, Iraqis want us to leave.

What the F are we waiting for? The decider?

Pale Rider
05-25-2007, 12:36 AM
They set a timetable. The authority for the UN coaltion forces expires at years end. They do NOT want it extended.

They did hedge in individual discussions about how the transition would occur. But not extending the UN authorization IS a timetable.

What the F are we waiting for? The decider?

I'll tell ya what, if there was mass genocide when we left, I'm so sick of arabs, I really can't muster up much of a give a shit. Let them ALL kill each other. The less of those sons a bitchin' cold blooded killers there are in the world, the better off the world will be, and we can claim we're the good guys for leaving, because that's what they wanted.

loosecannon
05-25-2007, 01:07 AM
I'll tell ya what, if there was mass genocide when we left, I'm so sick of arabs, I really can't muster up much of a give a shit. Let them ALL kill each other. The less of those sons a bitchin' cold blooded killers there are in the world, the better off the world will be, and we can claim we're the good guys for leaving, because that's what they wanted.

I would say it all differently but essentially mean the same thing.

They are their own problem. We need to take care of us, here.

Pale Rider
05-25-2007, 01:40 AM
I would say it all differently but essentially mean the same thing.

They are their own problem. We need to take care of us, here.

I'm pretty much at that point myself. Get the fuck out of Iraq. If we get hit with another attack from somewhere when we leave, then we'll have a reason to bomb them into the stone age, AND THEN LEAVE. Don't occupy... LEAVE. Leave their freakin' country in ruins. You know... have fun cleaning up that mess. Oh, what's that? We're bad for bombing the shit out of you? Then why the hell did you fuck with us? I guess next time you'll know better huh?

And if we don't get hit, then we're just all the better off all the way around. Put our troops on the border here. That's just as big of a mess as Iraq.

GW in Ohio
05-25-2007, 02:17 PM

Oh, Jesus, Mary and Joseph......

Does anybody actually listen to anything Bush has to say about Iraq? Does anybody believe a word this lying, self-justifying sonofabitch says about the mess he's created? Does anybody care?

The guy is so completely discredited, the only people still listening to him are the Rush Limbaugh dittoheads and the right-wingers who've imbibed the Bush Kool-Aid.

The other 75% of us are just waiting until January of '09, when we can get a real president and get on with the business of the country.

Gaffer
05-25-2007, 02:23 PM

Oh, Jesus, Mary and Joseph......

Does anybody actually listen to anything Bush has to say about Iraq? Does anybody believe a word this lying, self-justifying sonofabitch says about the mess he's created? Does anybody care?

The guy is so completely discredited, the only people still listening to him are the Rush Limbaugh dittoheads and the right-wingers who've imbibed the Bush Kool-Aid.

The other 75% of us are just waiting until January of '09, when we can get a real president and get on with the business of the country.

Yes it will be refreshing when Fred gets sworn in. You'll have someone new to hate.

GW in Ohio
05-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Yes it will be refreshing when Fred gets sworn in. You'll have someone new to hate.

Gaffer: Anybody is going to be a quantum leap improvement over the Bush administration.

I do not think the next president will be Republican, though. For one thing, the Bush administration has left a very bad taste in most Americans' mouths. For another thing, it is very hard for one party to control the White House for 8 years and then win it again. Americans generally want to change parties after one party has controlled the White House for 2 terms.

Doniston
05-25-2007, 02:45 PM
The document they signed was non-binding. That means the government has not asked us to leave.

anything is "NON-Binding if it isn't enforced. and Iraq is not ABLE to enforce it.

but kindly show us where that was determined. I sure don't recall it.

Doniston
05-25-2007, 02:49 PM

What the F are we waiting for? The decider? in a word, "YES" but we will be likely waiting forever for him to agree.

Doniston
05-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes it will be refreshing when Fred gets sworn in. You'll have someone new to hate. Fred who? I don't know any Fred who is liklely to become president. Are you talking about Fred Flintstone????

Gaffer
05-25-2007, 03:30 PM
A republican will win the presidency in 08 and the dems will scream bloody murder that he stole the election, just like with Bush and the hate mongering will begin all over again.

Pale Rider
05-25-2007, 05:22 PM
A republican will win the presidency in 08 and the dems will scream bloody murder that he stole the election, just like with Bush and the hate mongering will begin all over again.

If this amnesty bill passes, a republican WON'T win the White House. We'll be in deep shit.

glockmail
05-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Hasn't it been fun?

We'll be able to tough it out better than the angry libs. :coffee: