PDA

View Full Version : Study: Wildlife vanishing at 'staggering rate' in Brazil forests

Shadow
08-15-2012, 07:39 AM
OSLO, Norway -- Animals living in patches of rainforest cut off from bigger expanses of jungle by farms, roads or towns are dying off faster than previously thought, according to an academic study published Tuesday.

"We uncovered a staggering rate of local extinctions," the British and Brazilian researchers wrote in the online science journal PLOS ONE (http://www.plosone.org/home.action).
They visited 196 fragments of what was once a giant, intact forest in eastern Brazil on the Atlantic coast, now broken up by decades of deforestation to make way for agriculture.Each isolated forest patch, ranging from less than the size of a soccer field to more than 12,000 acres, had on average only four of 18 types of the mammals the experts surveyed, including howler monkeys and marmosets.

White-lipped peccaries, similar to pigs, "were completely wiped out and jaguars, lowland tapirs, woolly spider monkeys and giant anteaters were virtually extinct," the British and Brazilian scientists said of their findings.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/15/13291007-study-wildlife-vanishing-at-staggering-rate-in-brazil-forests?lite

logroller
08-15-2012, 11:53 AM
That's unfortunate; but on the upside, it should make for a lesser environmental impact when they slash and burn that area. Love me some cheap hardwood... charcoal.

fj1200
08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
That's unfortunate; but on the upside, it should make for a lesser environmental impact when they slash and burn that area. Love me some cheap hardwood... charcoal.

Your board cred as the resident enviro-wacker just took a hit. :poke:

logroller
08-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Your board cred as the resident enviro-wacker just took a hit. :poke:
I'm vested in the Brazilian production of ethanol to comply with CA's AB32...all part of my wacky agenda. :evillaughsign:

gabosaurus
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Since when have conservatives ever cared about the environment? They salivate every time they watch "Soylent Green."

Noir
08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
The same is happening with Pandas. There's a common belief that pandas are dying out in the wild because they will not mate with each other, that's half true.

The reason being instinct tells them not to mate within their own groups (as the resulting inevitable incest would lead to poor offspring) there are protection groups that are working to 'reconnect' asian Forrest's for tge pandas, with Forrest roads, and in the places that they have done so panda populations are on the rise.

Trigg
08-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Since when have conservatives ever cared about the environment? They salivate every time they watch "Soylent Green."

Aren't you married to one gabby?

It must depress your husband the way you're constantly insulting him.

gabosaurus
08-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Aren't you married to one gabby?

It must depress your husband the way you're constantly insulting him.

Nah, my husband is used to me insulting him. I've been doing it since we met more than a decade ago. :laugh:

Trigg
08-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Nah, my husband is used to me insulting him. I've been doing it since we met more than a decade ago. :laugh:

well to each his own. I guess if he's happy being portrayed by you as a knuckle dragging, beer swilling, gun nut who cares for no one and nothing than who am I to worry about his wellbeing. :salute:

If I missed any of your conservative stereotypes it was purely accidental :rolleyes:

Shadow
08-16-2012, 02:39 AM

It's all the damn coffee drinkers fault. Bastards. :coffee2: