PDA

View Full Version : Crime in New York City

taft2012
08-17-2012, 05:56 AM
We're seeing an uptick in violent crime in New York City. Since Rudy Giuliani assumed the mayor's job in January 1994, we've seen a steady and steep decline in crime.

I'm wondering if law enforcement played a smaller role in those crime reductions than initially thought. The post-Clinton recession of 2000-2001 largely bypassed NYC and we missed the impact. This current recession has not bypassed NYC and we're feeling its impact.

Is it coincidental that violence is also breaking out across the city?

Or is it the correlation between the NYPD cutting back on stops/frisks due to political pressures, that allow more weapons to roam the streets freely?

It's probably a combination of both, but I think the real problem is the liberal social contact we've created in the city. We allow millions of our residents to work jobs "off the books", literally working tax free. Since they have no reportable income they are eligible for the full package of welfare benefits; food stamps, taxpayer subsidized housing, and Medicaid. So they live quite well. NYC has the richest "poor people" in the world.

Academic studies of the impact of the recession will not show the loss of these jobs because they do not exist on paper, but it has to be assumed they are disappearing along with legitimate work. The guys losing their jobs on Wall Street, advertising firms, etc., are not getting guns and going out and shooting people. It is the taxpayer subsidized underclass.

My concern is; have the liberals established an unwritten social contract that we will subsidize a middle-class lifestyle for "the poor" in NYC, in exchange for lower crime statistics? Does the disappearance of these invisible jobs represent a breech of that liberal social contract freeing up "the poor" to go on these rampages? Are normal taxpaying New Yorkers being held hostage by "the poor", who are demanding restoration of their middle-class lifestyle?

I was in England last year for their riots and saw a great deal of the coverage on television. The riots amounted to nothing more than the people feeling entitled to the "latest electronic gadgets" that they could not otherwise afford.

Have the liberals signed us onto a deal that we can no longer afford, and will now suffer the consequences for not holding up our end?

Kathianne
08-17-2012, 05:59 AM
It seems to me that under Bloomberg, the 'crimes' have changed. Enforcement of edicts is the name of the game. Controlling smoking, guns, and fat food and drink.

taft2012
08-17-2012, 06:11 AM
It seems to me that under Bloomberg, the 'crimes' have changed. Enforcement of edicts is the name of the game. Controlling smoking, guns, and fat food and drink.

If those things were our biggest problems we'd be sitting pretty.

Violence is beginning to spin out of control. Watch out for our annual West Indian Day Parade coming up on Labor Day. A traditionally violence-packed event.

Kathianne
08-17-2012, 06:32 AM
If those things were our biggest problems we'd be sitting pretty.

Violence is beginning to spin out of control. Watch out for our annual West Indian Day Parade coming up on Labor Day. A traditionally violence-packed event.

But they don't count in Bloomberg world, as long as everyone is on the road to slimness and clear lungs. Not so different here in Chicago, only more violent.

aboutime
08-17-2012, 02:50 PM
No real need to further respond in any way to this FACTUAL thread. Not since we all know. The Likely, Expected, Traditional members will, and must come here to either DEFEND Bloomingidiot, or one of us for pointing out THE TRUTH.

SassyLady
08-17-2012, 03:35 PM
I, for one, would not defend Bloomberg....the man is a progressive fruitcake.

taft2012
08-18-2012, 06:59 AM
There was a novel I read long ago called "Watership Down." It's about a group of rabbits who flee their warren after a group of men come by and gas it. During their adventures to find a suitable location for a new warren they come across a very strange warren, that seems ideal, but they also sense something is very wrong.

Men come by this warren all the time and leave very good food out for the rabbits. The rabbits are all well-fed and healthy. As the refugee rabbits eventually find out, the catch is that the men who bring the food also leave out snares to catch the rabbits. The rabbits who live there are all aware of this, but dismiss this ever-present danger as the cost for their otherwise safe and prosperous community. When one of their fellow rabbits gets trapped in a snare they just dismiss it as part of their social contract, shrug, forget about it, and go about with their daily lives.

The refugee rabbits are appalled at this unnatural arrangement and leave immediately.

As sick as that social contract is, the ones liberals have signed us onto is even worse, sort of a complete inverse. Not only are we feeding the predators and keeping them healthy, we're willing to accept them robbing and killing us at a certain tolerable level. And if we cut back on this feeding, medical care, and quality of life they currently enjoy, we have to accept the notion that they'll rise up and start killing us in greater numbers.

We're basically being held hostage by our own good intentions and deeds.

The liberals in America's liberal cities have created sick societies, which probably has a lot to do with New York rabbits doing a refugee trek to red states.

jimnyc
08-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Just wanted to make it clear for non-NYers, that we're speaking of NYC aka Manhattan. It's VERY densely populated, but also fairly small in size, and is actually a very small portion of New York. There is a lot of white collar crime during the day, and then at night the cockroaches come out to take advantage. And it's a LOT for such a small area.

The distance from lower Central Park (basically the middle of Manhattan) to my front door is about 20 miles exactly. My town has had one murder in the past 20 years. That's just an example of course, as there are more and more towns in NY, further away from NYC, where the crime statistics are night and day compared to NYC at night.

And you won't find me protecting Bloomberg in any way at all. He's about nothing more than power and what he can control. And sadly, with his wealth, he can get away with a lot of it. IMO, he has brought NYC into the national spotlight, for all the wrong reasons.

gabosaurus
08-18-2012, 10:44 AM
And you won't find me protecting Bloomberg in any way at all. He's about nothing more than power and what he can control. And sadly, with his wealth, he can get away with a lot of it. IMO, he has brought NYC into the national spotlight, for all the wrong reasons.

It took NYC a lot time to overcome its image as a crime waiting to happen on every corner. Cleaning up Times Square and Central Park and making them into tourist destinations did a lot of make NYC a better place to visit.
Bloomberg is such a kook that the image of NYC is suffering a major blow. It's unfortunate that NYC citizens don't care enough to kick him out of office.

taft2012
08-19-2012, 10:39 AM
It took NYC a lot time to overcome its image as a crime waiting to happen on every corner. Cleaning up Times Square and Central Park and making them into tourist destinations did a lot of make NYC a better place to visit.
Bloomberg is such a kook that the image of NYC is suffering a major blow. It's unfortunate that NYC citizens don't care enough to kick him out of office.

You can compare midtown Manhattan with the French Quarter in New Orleans. The local government knows if any kind of tourist industry is going to exist those areas have to be secured. And they are.

The problem lies in the other areas of the city. For instance:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/maniac-shoots-critically-brooklyn-spree-article-1.1139426

A glassy-eyed Brooklyn gunman shot five people — leaving one brain dead — and pistol-whipped three more early Saturday in a maniacal spree of bloodshed and botched robberies, sources said.

The erratic attacker left a nine-block trail of terror through Flatlands before he was busted near the last stop of his one-man crime spree — the Nigerian nightclub 9ja Villa.

“This guy went on a tear,” a witness from inside the club told the Daily News. “It was terrifying.”

The 19-year-old would-be robber, identified by sources as Michael Magnan, earlier targeted a random nearby house, another neighborhood nightclub and a livery cab caught at a red light, police sources and witnesses said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/maniac-shoots-critically-brooklyn-spree-article-1.1139426#ixzz240Uhl1JM

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Just wanted to make it clear for non-NYers, that we're speaking of NYC aka Manhattan. It's VERY densely populated, but also fairly small in size, and is actually a very small portion of New York. There is a lot of white collar crime during the day, and then at night the cockroaches come out to take advantage. And it's a LOT for such a small area.

The distance from lower Central Park (basically the middle of Manhattan) to my front door is about 20 miles exactly. My town has had one murder in the past 20 years. That's just an example of course, as there are more and more towns in NY, further away from NYC, where the crime statistics are night and day compared to NYC at night.

Bloomberg is powermad liberal scum. Ih he were to ever gain the presidency he would be as bad as obama. Its in their blood because they are both egotistical scum.-Tyr

Sidestreamer
08-20-2012, 03:14 AM
We're seeing an uptick in violent crime in New York City. Since Rudy Giuliani assumed the mayor's job in January 1994, we've seen a steady and steep decline in crime.

I'm wondering if law enforcement played a smaller role in those crime reductions than initially thought. The post-Clinton recession of 2000-2001 largely bypassed NYC and we missed the impact. This current recession has not bypassed NYC and we're feeling its impact.

Is it coincidental that violence is also breaking out across the city?

Or is it the correlation between the NYPD cutting back on stops/frisks due to political pressures, that allow more weapons to roam the streets freely?

It's probably a combination of both, but I think the real problem is the liberal social contact we've created in the city. We allow millions of our residents to work jobs "off the books", literally working tax free. Since they have no reportable income they are eligible for the full package of welfare benefits; food stamps, taxpayer subsidized housing, and Medicaid. So they live quite well. NYC has the richest "poor people" in the world.

Academic studies of the impact of the recession will not show the loss of these jobs because they do not exist on paper, but it has to be assumed they are disappearing along with legitimate work. The guys losing their jobs on Wall Street, advertising firms, etc., are not getting guns and going out and shooting people. It is the taxpayer subsidized underclass.

My concern is; have the liberals established an unwritten social contract that we will subsidize a middle-class lifestyle for "the poor" in NYC, in exchange for lower crime statistics? Does the disappearance of these invisible jobs represent a breech of that liberal social contract freeing up "the poor" to go on these rampages? Are normal taxpaying New Yorkers being held hostage by "the poor", who are demanding restoration of their middle-class lifestyle?

I was in England last year for their riots and saw a great deal of the coverage on television. The riots amounted to nothing more than the people feeling entitled to the "latest electronic gadgets" that they could not otherwise afford.

Have the liberals signed us onto a deal that we can no longer afford, and will now suffer the consequences for not holding up our end?

I have to laugh. Given the cost of rent over there, true New Yorkers are becoming an endangered species; they're being displaced by iPad-toting Whole Foods-propping vegan hipster douchebags raiding their daddies' trust funds and bankers even in the former slums like downtown Brooklyn, and even Bed-Stuy's going in that direction. I know I couldn't afford it anymore.

A disproportionately high percentage of these "richest 'poor people' " don't own cars because the money that would have gone that way is being funneled into the cost of rent, even in trash heaps like Crown Heights or most of Staten Island. Had they earned the same income in, say, Texas, they could drive around a beat-up Toyota, at least, legally insured and all.

And the middle-class in New York consists of the "house poor," for the same reason. A $50,000/year income could afford a small home and a car in most locales. There, maybe you can get a broom closet.

Sidestreamer
08-20-2012, 03:20 AM

I don't know how Mayor May-I can survive. And I'm equally perplexed to see how he ever passed as a Republican. People on all ends of the spectrum over there were enraged with him, and yet he still holds the office. You'd think the restriction on soft drinks would get him tossed in any other city in the country...

Sidestreamer
08-20-2012, 03:28 AM

To keep it in perspective, I must say, NYC's violent crime rate, per capita, is still a lot lower than many other cities, particularly places like Detroit and Memphis.

taft2012
08-20-2012, 05:06 AM
To keep it in perspective, I must say, NYC's violent crime rate, per capita, is still a lot lower than many other cities, particularly places like Detroit and Memphis.

That's true, because recessions usually don't hit New York City too hard. The NASDAQ bubble of 2000 didn't hit us at until 9/11. Detroit has gone over the brink long ago.

Violent crime is ticking upwards now relation to the economy. What we're giving to the underclass is not keeping them in iPods, GameBoy cartridges, and the latest Nikes. In other words, we're not holding up our end of this deadly social contract.

My point is... as Anton Chigurh asked in "No Country For Old Men," .... "if the rule you followed has brought you to this, of what use is the rule?"

The rule in this country appears to be: We provide the permanent underclass with a lower middle-class lifestyle and they curtail their violent behavior accordingly. If the economy tanks and we can not hold up our end of the bargain, they feel entitled to hunt us down life buffalo.

jimnyc
08-20-2012, 08:12 AM
I don't know how Mayor May-I can survive. And I'm equally perplexed to see how he ever passed as a Republican. People on all ends of the spectrum over there were enraged with him, and yet he still holds the office. You'd think the restriction on soft drinks would get him tossed in any other city in the country...

That's what I thought a few years back, until he figured a way to change the law and have himself yet another term. Now he knows he is gone after this term, so he'll do all kinds of stupid shit and not have to worry about getting re-elected. And if he can do this amount of damage to NYC, imagine what Obama can do to the entire country if he has another term? Yikes!

jimnyc
08-20-2012, 08:14 AM

Detroit is scary. Memphis seemed awesome when I visited, but I stayed at the Peabody Hotel, and only visited the tourist sites during the day. I had no idea how shitty the place was till years later. At night I was too busy ordering room service on the companies tab!

Sidestreamer
08-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Detroit is scary. Memphis seemed awesome when I visited, but I stayed at the Peabody Hotel, and only visited the tourist sites during the day. I had no idea how shitty the place was till years later. At night I was too busy ordering room service on the companies tab!

A friend and I were there in broad daylight while on a road trip. Stopped at a gas station in what must have been the heart of one of its worst neighborhoods. I could have sworn at least two passersby were sizing us up, being the only white people in sight. Ten minutes later as we ate our fried chicken, three pops, sirens, sirens, sirens... and a forensics van. We got the fuck out of there quick.

Nukeman
08-22-2012, 07:54 AM
A friend and I were there in broad daylight while on a road trip. Stopped at a gas station in what must have been the heart of one of its worst neighborhoods. I could have sworn at least two passersby were sizing us up, being the only white people in sight. Ten minutes later as we ate our fried chicken, three pops, sirens, sirens, sirens... and a forensics van. We got the fuck out of there quick.
Umm thats all of Detroint!!!!!!!