PDA

View Full Version : Scientists Closer to Birth Control Pill for Men

Shadow
08-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Scientists may be one step closer to a birth control pill for men (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WomensHealth/birth-control-pill-men-count/story?id=13782605).A drug dubbed JQ1 swiftly stunted sperm production in male mice, a new study found. And like the female birth control pill, its fertility-fighting effects on were completely reversible.

"We have only observed full recovery of fertility in treated males," the researchers from Baylor College of Medicine wrote in their study, published today in the journal Cel (http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674%2812%2900929-4#Summary)l. "We envision that our discoveries can be completely translated to men, providing a novel and efficacious strategy for a male contraceptive."
JQ1 blocks a protein essential for sperm production in the testes. If the drug is proven to be safe and effective in humans, it could expand the prophylactic pool -- an exciting prospect at a time when over a third of U.S. pregnancies are unintended (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-40-percent-us-births-unintended/story?id=16840288).

But some doctors say the idea of slashing sperm counts, even temporarily, can be scary for guys.
"Sperm-making is a pretty delicate thing, and people do seem to have a concept of that," Dr. Joseph Alukal, director of male reproductive health at New York University's Langone Medical Center, told ABCNews.com in 2011. "How long did it take for women to get comfortable with the reversibility of the birth control pill? I'm not sure."

Nevertheless, Alukal said he thinks some men would welcome the option of a birth control pill.
"If you look at vasectomy, there are plenty of men in committed relationships who choose to take onus of reproductive planning on themselves," Alukal said. "I think the same sorts of people would choose to look into something like this."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/scientists-closer-birth-control-pill-men/story?id=17028071

Nell's Room
08-19-2012, 12:31 AM
I think that most men would refuse to take it because they would see BC as something the woman should take care of.

SassyLady
08-19-2012, 02:03 AM
I think that most men would refuse to take it because they would see BC as something the woman should take care of.

Why would they believe it's the woman's responsibility? It's takes two to make a baby and I believe there are many, many men out there who don't want to pay child support.

Noir
08-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Its about damn time! Assuming they are able to get its efficient to somewhere around the same as the female pill, then a combination of the two would virtually eliminate the chance of an unwanted pregnancy, with each acting as a failsafe for he other ^,^

jimnyc
08-19-2012, 09:22 AM

What an ignorant comment. That's why probably billions of condoms are sold yearly. The responsibility lies with BOTH people deciding to have sex. If your comment were even remotely true, then men would be bypassing condoms, assuming that women have things taken care of. And many men do the responsible thing, because they know women will use pregnancy as a tool and the men have no say whatsoever after the night they had sex. From the tone of your posts, you hardly come across as someone who believes it's an equal responsibility.

jimnyc
08-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Its about damn time! Assuming they are able to get its efficient to somewhere around the same as the female pill, then a combination of the two would virtually eliminate the chance of an unwanted pregnancy, with each acting as a failsafe for he other ^,^

A lot of black and mexican women are crying in their wheaties this morning, their lifetime paycheck, known as child support, has just been dealt a death blow.

That's right, I said what many think and are afraid to say. Tough shit.

Shadow
08-19-2012, 07:49 PM

Actually... I think they would gladly take it. Prevents an unwanted pregnancy from women who would try to trap/trick them into a relationship by getting pregnant.

cadet
08-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Actually... I think they would gladly take it. Prevents an unwanted pregnancy from women who would try to trap/trick them into a relationship by getting pregnant.

I think it's kinda weird. i wouldn't take it. then again, i'm not sleeping around, so no problems here! :laugh:

logroller
08-20-2012, 02:49 AM

Those are likely the same men who think a women's purpose is reproduction and maternal care-- I call them misogynists. I believe they're in the minority...of men who actually get laid anyways.

Shadow
08-20-2012, 06:44 AM
I think it's kinda weird. i wouldn't take it. then again, i'm not sleeping around, so no problems here! :laugh:

So...what did you find wierd about it? Do you think it is true that men find the idea of reducing sperm count uncomfortable or scary like some doctors claim?

Voted4Reagan
08-20-2012, 07:25 AM
A lot of black and mexican women are crying in their wheaties this morning, their lifetime paycheck, known as child support, has just been dealt a death blow.

That's right, I said what many think and are afraid to say. Tough shit.

If this solves even 50% of the unwanted pregnancies in the Inner Cities the Welfare State is in for a sharp contraction in the population.

fj1200
08-20-2012, 07:49 AM
If this solves even 50% of the unwanted pregnancies in the Inner Cities the Welfare State is in for a sharp contraction in the population.

You assume that the baby-daddies will all of a sudden become responsible enough to take a pill when they show little responsibility currently?

jimnyc
08-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Racist comments and accusations aside - people only need look at the stats in the black community of abortions, children out of wedlock, deadbeat dads, welfare Moms... The list can go on and on and on. If this drug will eventually come cheap and accessible like condoms, a man not wanting to be in any shitty situations would be an idiot not to take it. The scary part is that I believe a lot of these women go into their night of sex looking for a paycheck and ultimately use the kids as a tool to get more and more $$$ from the state.

cadet
08-20-2012, 08:42 AM
So...what did you find wierd about it? Do you think it is true that men find the idea of reducing sperm count uncomfortable or scary like some doctors claim?

Exactly. It sounds down right scary. At least to me, I can't speak for anyone else.

cadet
08-20-2012, 08:43 AM
You assume that the baby-daddies will all of a sudden become responsible enough to take a pill when they show little responsibility currently?

If they don't want to pay child care.

fj1200
08-20-2012, 08:52 AM
If they don't want to pay child care.

Do you think that responsibility defines those that rely on...

... the Inner Cities the Welfare State...

But I share the optimism.

Of course then there's the whole "who'll pay for it" routine.

Voted4Reagan
08-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Racist comments and accusations aside - people only need look at the stats in the black community of abortions, children out of wedlock, deadbeat dads, welfare Moms... The list can go on and on and on. If this drug will eventually come cheap and accessible like condoms, a man not wanting to be in any shitty situations would be an idiot not to take it. The scary part is that I believe a lot of these women go into their night of sex looking for a paycheck and ultimately use the kids as a tool to get more and more $$$ from the state.

I can promise.... Youll see PLANNED FATHERHOOD CENTERS in all the inner Cities....

Funny thing is...I'm willing to bet they'll be classified as Racist and guilty of Destroying the people of Culture that they serve...

Lets see what happens

WiccanLiberal
08-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Assume that you are a male who has an interest in sex and your orientation directs your interest to the female of the species. Assume also that you are not eager to become a parent. You presently have only a couple of non-permanent options for preventing a partner's pregnancy. One is the venerable condom. These have obvious drawbacks. They are not 100% effective, they are subject to breakage and they are unacceptable in terms of sensation to some men. The other alternative is to rely on your partner to reliably use a female contraceptive such as the pill or a diaphragm. Aside from the problem of failure, forgetfulness, and potential for entrapment that some women are, sadly, capable of, there are some women who cannot take birth control pills for a variety of reasons. A male version of the pill would be a benefit for both men and women. Anything that offers more options to make pregnancy a considered decision is, IMO, a huge good.

Shadow
08-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Assume that you are a male who has an interest in sex and your orientation directs your interest to the female of the species. Assume also that you are not eager to become a parent. You presently have only a couple of non-permanent options for preventing a partner's pregnancy. One is the venerable condom. These have obvious drawbacks. They are not 100% effective, they are subject to breakage and they are unacceptable in terms of sensation to some men. The other alternative is to rely on your partner to reliably use a female contraceptive such as the pill or a diaphragm. Aside from the problem of failure, forgetfulness, and potential for entrapment that some women are, sadly, capable of, there are some women who cannot take birth control pills for a variety of reasons. A male version of the pill would be a benefit for both men and women. Anything that offers more options to make pregnancy a considered decision is, IMO, a huge good.

A good point. I am advised against birth control because they put me at high risk for a stroke. My ex chose to geta vasectomy to prevent more kids. Wonder if he would have preferred just taking a BC pill given the choice between the two.