PDA

View Full Version : Amerianca In Mood To Listen

Kathianne
08-18-2012, 01:14 AM
I had this conversation the other day with my brother. He argued that Ryan was a toxic choice, he not only touched the 3rd rail, but asked others to join him. I argued that America was ready to listen. I was around 30 when I told my not yet retired Mom and Dad, I had little expectations of receiving SSI. I began to argue then that something had to be done regarding baby boom.

I really think this is the year that the voting electorate is going to get serious, as they began to in 2010. Debt escalating alarmingly so. The 16-18 year olds can't get jobs, that would help offset college costs. Parents of young children aren't struggling, they're drowning. Most of them have at least 1 living parent. Perhaps in FL, AZ, NC, TN, etc. Grandma and Grandpa have no intention of throwing their kids, much less their grandkids under the bus.

Romney/Ryan need to hammer the point that for any over 55, no change. Surprisingly they've been getting some help regarding this from MSM. CNN's Wolf Blitzer's interview with Wasserman-Shultz comes to mind. For those under 55, if at retirement a person wants into Medicare, no problem. That's saving Medicare. However, if they want to shop around, they can.

People with money, not 'rich' just have more than needed for essentials, might opt differently. Many have been doing so for years. My dad retired at 62, my mom much earlier. My dad's company kept him on insurance until he turned 65; he acted as a consultant for the following 3 years. At 65 he took SSI and signed up for medicare. He also signed up for a supplementary policy to bridge most things medicare wouldn't cover. I've no clue to what it cost in the early years, but by the time he and my mom were living with me in their 80's, it was between $5500 and $6000 per year, (approx. 2003-2005). As my dad said, "Well worth it, though expensive."

Of course some folks do not have that type of discretionary income. Medicare will still be there. However, I don't have the figures of what Medicare costs per average individual, but if you add that to my folks extra policy, I'm guessing one could find like coverage for less. My folks, with my mom very sick, for a very long time, paid very little out of pocket costs. The only coverage my dad sought and couldn't find was 'home health care' coverage. Not at their ages and not with my mom's health. My mom needed 24 hour nursing and my dad paid for that out-of-pocket for more than 2 years. Very expensive, but actually cheaper than nursing homes, but not insurable.