PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Bag Bans and Unintended Consequences

Kathianne
08-18-2012, 09:31 AM
I admit to having bought and used the woven bags to cart my groceries home and do my part for the environment. I even have a couple of the insulated ones; one for dairy, one for meat. Somehow didn't seem a good idea to throw either of those in with produce. Duh! I'm not one to go nutty on any issue, but have always thought doing the things that are easy enough and not too expensive is just the right thing to do.

I first read about the issues with contamination and the bags probably 2 years ago, maybe a tad more. I started washing the bags after any 'larger purchase' which included meats. Didn't work out real well, the bags that are made for grocery use, really aren't up to washer, nor dryer. Microwaving too didn't work out. EEEeeekkkkkk, yes, I can be that dumb!

Now I pay for the paper bags, one use for grocery, then they are my 'recycling bags' in the kitchen. Instead of walking to garage with each box, junk mail, or can, I just throw them in one of the paper bags. When full, I dump the whole bag into the recycling can. Yes, when company comes, I ditch the bags.

How bad are the multi-use woven bags one buys from the stores?

http://youtu.be/Hv63IKnsj64

Thunderknuckles
08-18-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't think Enviros give a damn about losing a few extra lives over this.
What's the value of a few men, women, and children compared to a turtle?

SassyLady
08-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Kath ... I have some bags that are made of parachute material and in various colors.... Envirosax is the brand. Love them ... very sturdy ... can really load them up without worry. Also, very washable....I keep one in my purse to use when I get a doggie bag, or food to go ... just put the bag the food comes in inside the Envirosax and no worries about it spilling all over the place.

http://www.envirosax.com/graphic-series/pouches/savanna-pouch.html

Nell's Room
08-19-2012, 12:14 AM
I always use the enviro bags. When they are a few months old, I ditch them and buy a few more. They are cheap so money isn't the issue. They are better than plastic bags. Supermarkets here will charge you a fee for each plastic bag if you opt for them, to encourage people to use the enviro bags.

SassyLady
08-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Also, I've had mine for about five years and they are great for taking to the Farmer's Market. I even use them to put wet clothes in when I've been to the beach.

Is an Envirosax safe to carry unwrapped food in?Yes, Envirosax reusable bags are totally safe to carry food. Before using a reusable bag to carry your shopping, you should ensure that it has been tested to show that it is safe to do so.Envirosax bags have undergone food migration tests by The Australian Government National Measurement Institute. The samples from the bags were extracted in accordance with AS2070 - 1999 "Plastics materials for food contact use". The sample was tested for overall migration by the article Contact method to determine the quantity of organic substances that may migrate from the material into foodstuffs.The results from the tests indicated that the material from the bags complied with AS2070 - 1999. The samples were also tested for trace elements and heavy metals. The samples reported complied with AS2070 - 1999 and AP89 (1) for the elements reported.The organic series were tested for trace metal elements and heavy metals, the bags contained not more than the maximum acceptable concentration of leachable elements specified in Table 1. of AS/NZS ISO 8124.3:2003, when tested according to the methodology described in the AS/NZS ISO 8124.3:2003.

http://www.envirosax.com/faq#a_washing

Kathianne
08-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Kath ... I have some bags that are made of parachute material and in various colors.... Envirosax is the brand. Love them ... very sturdy ... can really load them up without worry. Also, very washable....I keep one in my purse to use when I get a doggie bag, or food to go ... just put the bag the food comes in inside the Envirosax and no worries about it spilling all over the place.

http://www.envirosax.com/graphic-series/pouches/savanna-pouch.html

Seriously that is cool, IF I could spend $40 bucks + shipping. That's near 2 weeks of eats! I'm seriously underemployed and behind on my bills. Fortunately not everyone is in my predicament and this is a very cool product.

SassyLady
08-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Seriously that is cool, IF I could spend $40 bucks + shipping. That's near 2 weeks of eats! I'm seriously underemployed and behind on my bills. Fortunately not everyone is in my predicament and this is a very cool product.

I was lucky ... my daughter gave them to me as a gift for my birthday. I have found them in a couple of places, but they aren't the Enviosax. Work just as well.

What I like is that most stores even give me a credit for having them. Sometimes I forget them because I didn't put them back in car after unpacking....when that happens, I'm like you ... get the paper and reuse it for recycling.

WiccanLiberal
08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I have been using canvas sacks for several years. I find the handles make them easier to carry and they wash just fine. When they wear out, I can toss and replace them. And they hold up better than the woven plastic, at least in my experience.

Kathianne
08-19-2012, 05:23 PM
I have been using canvas sacks for several years. I find the handles make them easier to carry and they wash just fine. When they wear out, I can toss and replace them. And they hold up better than the woven plastic, at least in my experience.

I've done the canvas and the net cotton ones too. Problem is leakage, with both. Stain car rugs and seats. Car is more expensive than the bags. ;) Nets are so light, I love that, but things poke through and can be difficult to remove items from. The canvas bags too I found got too 'soft' in the washer, wouldn't stand up when loaded, then would droop in car, sending cans and some fruits rolling around in the back of car.

I'm pretty much committed now to going with paper bags with handles, just like the mom & pop grocery gave out when we were kids. Depending on the shopping trip, they can be reused 2 or 3 times at least, then become my ad hoc recycling center. LOL!

fj1200
08-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Based upon absolutely no study at all on my part, I suspect that plastic bags are less resource intensive over the long run than the reusable ones.

Kathianne
08-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Based upon absolutely no study at all on my part, I suspect that plastic bags are less resource intensive over the long run than the reusable ones.

I'm going for an English translation of the above: "Plastic bags at check out use more energy than those one brings with one, as reusable.

That would be a no duh! If translated correctly. Problem is, is it the most healthy for folks?

fj1200
08-20-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm going for an English translation of the above: "Plastic bags at check out use more energy than those one brings with one, as reusable.

That would be a no duh! If translated correctly. Problem is, is it the most healthy for folks?

Actually I posit the other way around. Reusable ones take more energy to create one time but will wear out over time minus the recyclability of the plastic ones. I remember the paper bags taking much more energy to create than the plastic ones when initially considered "better."

Like I said I base it on nothing at all. :hide: I hadn't considered the health aspects until you started the thread. :)