PDA

View Full Version : Yes, gay marriage FORCED on us

jimnyc
08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I couldn't disagree with this more. I know it's discriminatory but I don't think it should be illegal discrimination. People should be free to shop wherever they please and owners should be able to serve who they please. If those with the money don't like the practices of a business, take your money elsewhere. I will give the Inn some credit though, it appears on principle that they'll no longer hold receptions at all anymore. No more gay receptions, but they'll likely lose a lot of money as a result. Good for them though, I'm like them, I'd rather lose a little income than be strong armed into serving people against my beliefs.

ACLU: Wildflower Inn Sued Over Refusal to Host Gay WeddingThe Wildflower Inn in Lyndonville, Vt., bills itself as a "vacation sanctuary" where the welcome mat is rolled out even for the family dog. The inn, nestled in the mountains on 570 acres, was voted Best Family Resort by Yankee Magazine in 2010 and has enjoyed positive reviews in travel publications and websites that range from National Geographic Traveler to Trip Advisor.

But according to a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, that warm Wildflower welcome doesn't extend to gay couples.

Court documents filed in Vermont Superior Court claim that when Katherine Baker and Ming-Lien Linsley, a lesbian couple, tried to book their wedding reception at the Wildflower, they were told via email that innkeepers Mary and Jim O'Reilly "do not host gay receptions" because of their "personal feelings."

According to Dan Barrett, an attorney with the Vermont Chapter of the ACLU, that puts the O'Reillys in violation of the law. "We believe this is a straightforward violation. Businesses open to the general public must serve all customers. ... They cannot turn people away based on sexual orientation. That section of the law has been on the books in Vermont since 1992."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/vermont-inn-sued-refusal-host-gay-couples-wedding/story?id=14110076#.UDaqT6OQmcs

Voted4Reagan
08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Businesses are not Obligated to accept anyone's business.

Just as People are not obligated to purchase something from anyone specific.

I may want to and be able to afford a party at Augusta National Golf Club.... But I can tell you this...I wouldnt expect to get one.

Businesses can accept or reject any business they choose... it is their right...

If people dont like it they can vote with their Wallets...

fj1200
08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Jim, did I miss the link to the law that they referred to? Acceptance can't be forced.

Kathianne
08-23-2012, 05:26 PM
They settled:

http://ktvl.com/template/inews_wire/wires.national/2748de47-www.ktvl.com.shtml

Vt. inn, 2 women settle gay marriage lawsuit
August 23, 2012 21:44 GMT
%reldate(2012-08-23T21:33:03
MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) -- A lawyer for a Vermont inn that was sued when it refused to host a lesbian couple's wedding reception says the inn had no policy discriminating against same-sex couples.

Jim Campbell of the Alliance Defending Freedom says an employee acting without the owners' OK said Katherine Baker and Ming Linsley couldn't hold their event at the Lyndonville facility.

The American Civil Liberties Union says the inn agreed to pay a $10,000 civil penalty to the Vermont Human Rights Commission and place $20,000 in a charitable trust.

As part of the settlement, the Wildflower Inn agreed to no longer host wedding receptions. Campbell says the innkeepers had made that decision on their own.

The couple -- who both now use the name Linsley -- say they're pleased with the outcome.

jimnyc
08-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Jim, did I miss the link to the law that they referred to? Acceptance can't be forced.

Accepting them as customers can be forced, in Vermont at least, where sexual orientation is a protected characteristic.

jimnyc
08-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Businesses are not Obligated to accept anyone's business.

Unfortunately, even a private business such as this one, must do business with the gay community whether they like it or not, or they are considered to be discriminating and subject to heavy fines.

Voted4Reagan
08-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately, even a private business such as this one, must do business with the gay community whether they like it or not, or they are considered to be discriminating and subject to heavy fines.

WELL....I'll look at it like this.... The Couple that wanted to get married there and was refused will now have it upon THEM that nobody else will ever be married there... Nobody else will be allowed to enjoy it... That will effect the local economy, It certainly has and will continue to effect the profit the Hotel will make and may result in some people losing their jobs because they are no longer needed for Private Affairs... Bartenders, Caterers, Maids, Receptionists, Janitors... Everyone that the hotel would employ faces a job loss.

Nice to see that the Couple in question got $10,000 for all their troubles...

I hope they certainly think about the people that might have to lose their jobs because they had to prove a political point...

jimnyc
08-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Nice to see that the Couple in question got $10,000 for all their troubles...

They didn't get anything, the $10k was actually a government penalty and paid to the Human Rights Commission.

08-23-2012, 11:29 PM
I think it's a tragedy that people could be forced to associate with people they choose not to or do business they don't want to. Aren't we entitled to have freedom of association? I may think it's dumb not to associate with people for certain reasons, but it just seems that being coercive is worse.

DragonStryk72
08-24-2012, 12:03 AM
I couldn't disagree with this more. I know it's discriminatory but I don't think it should be illegal discrimination. People should be free to shop wherever they please and owners should be able to serve who they please. If those with the money don't like the practices of a business, take your money elsewhere. I will give the Inn some credit though, it appears on principle that they'll no longer hold receptions at all anymore. No more gay receptions, but they'll likely lose a lot of money as a result. Good for them though, I'm like them, I'd rather lose a little income than be strong armed into serving people against my beliefs.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/vermont-inn-sued-refusal-host-gay-couples-wedding/story?id=14110076#.UDaqT6OQmcs

Wow, just a stupid move on the Wildflower's part. I mean, seriously, it's like setting up a bar in Texas and then denying service to gun owners. It's just going to hurt your business, regardless of what the laws say.

taft2012
08-24-2012, 05:29 AM
On all matters lesbian, I withhold judgment until I've seen the principles involved. In this particular case, I believe the inn acted appropriately in refusing them service.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001996709/411185290_ap_baker_linsley_gay_wedding_lawsuit_jp_ 110718_wg_xlarge.jpeg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/y3FrN33gPSU/0.jpg

Now this ....

http://www.5fm.co.za/djs/misc/les1.jpg
http://dgeneratefilms.com/wp-content/uploads/lesbian2.jpeg
http://www.ynetnews.com/PicServer2/20122005/738195/h2h_wa.jpg

... this stuff is acceptable.

If they kept us well-fed on a steady diet of these images, half of the gay marriage debate would have been won a long time ago.

Voted4Reagan
08-24-2012, 06:33 AM
They didn't get anything, the $10k was actually a government penalty and paid to the Human Rights Commission.

ahhhh... so the Government gets the Money and the Hotel gets to layoff employees....

got it....

jimnyc
08-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Wow, just a stupid move on the Wildflower's part. I mean, seriously, it's like setting up a bar in Texas and then denying service to gun owners. It's just going to hurt your business, regardless of what the laws say.

My business sense wholeheartedly agrees with you, and as a business owner, sometimes you have to hold your nose to make the money. But some people think that ignoring their beliefs or principles for money is wrong. I'm kinda a greedy hypocrite. If it were me, I would just charge them more for making me eat my beliefs, but I got a sneaky suspicion that isn't much more legal!

DragonStryk72
08-24-2012, 10:28 PM
My business sense wholeheartedly agrees with you, and as a business owner, sometimes you have to hold your nose to make the money. But some people think that ignoring their beliefs or principles for money is wrong. I'm kinda a greedy hypocrite. If it were me, I would just charge them more for making me eat my beliefs, but I got a sneaky suspicion that isn't much more legal!

Yeah, but if it was so much of a problem, there were far better states to open the business in, where gay marriage isn't on the books, like NH, CT, and MA, for places close by. lol, me, I don't particularly care, as long as they're good customers. I don't really see an issue with keeping a business separate of your morality, and in a state like VT, the gay marriage crowd is simply too much of the business percentage to just be turning it away, especially with as many Hotels as I've seen just around the Burlington area. Gay & Lesbian couples come from across the country to marry in VT. As a wedding location hotel, you just can't be passing up that kind of money.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-24-2012, 10:44 PM
ahhhh... so the Government gets the Money and the Hotel gets to layoff employees....

got it....

Exactly, thats the liberal way. See how liberal government is ALWAYS looking out for the "little guy"?
The "little guy" is so blessed...-;)--Tyr

jimnyc
08-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Yeah, but if it was so much of a problem, there were far better states to open the business in, where gay marriage isn't on the books, like NH, CT, and MA, for places close by. lol, me, I don't particularly care, as long as they're good customers. I don't really see an issue with keeping a business separate of your morality, and in a state like VT, the gay marriage crowd is simply too much of the business percentage to just be turning it away, especially with as many Hotels as I've seen just around the Burlington area. Gay & Lesbian couples come from across the country to marry in VT. As a wedding location hotel, you just can't be passing up that kind of money.

I would imagine they had this Inn before the law took effect.

fj1200
08-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Yeah, but if it was so much of a problem, there were far better states to open the business in, where gay marriage isn't on the books...

Gay marriage on the books isn't the issue, it's not being able to refuse service to certain groups.

jimnyc
08-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Gay marriage on the books isn't the issue, it's not being able to refuse service to certain groups.

Yeppers. I think they should be able to refuse service to anyone they feel like for any reason. You're a Yankees fan? Beat it. You won't wear a suit? Hit the trail. Hell, they should be able to deny based on sex alone should they choose to. Look at Augusta National, and their decision to have kept it a male only club for so long (they just let Condi Rice become a member, and another woman). I believe that unless it is a government run business, that the owners should be able to choose how to run their own businesses and who they will do business with.