PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong to be stripped of wins.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-24-2012, 10:25 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cycling/story/us-anti-doping-agency-will-ban-lance-armstrong-for-life-strip-tour-de-france-titles-082312

Updated Aug 24, 2012 11:01 AM ET
AUSTIN, Texas (AP)
Never one to back away from a fight, Lance Armstrong is finally giving in and the cost of quitting is steep: His seven Tour de France titles could be gone as soon as Friday.
The superstar cyclist, whose stirring victories after his comeback from cancer helped him transcend sports, chose not to pursue arbitration in the drug case brought against him by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. That was his last option in his bitter fight with USADA and his decision set the stage for the titles to be stripped and his name to be all but wiped from the record books of the sport he once ruled.

Travis Tygart, USADA's chief executive, left no doubt that was the next step. He said Armstrong would lose the titles as soon as Friday and be hit with a lifetime ban, even though he is retired and turning 41 next month.
Tygart said the UCI, the sport's governing body, was ''bound to recognize our decision and impose it'' as a signer of the World Anti-Doping Code.''They have no choice but to strip the titles under the code,'' he said.

On Friday, the International Cycling Union said not so fast. The UCI, which had backed Armstrong's legal challenge to USADA's authority, cited the same World Anti-Doping Code in saying that it wanted the USADA to explain why Armstrong should lose his titles.
The UCI said the code requires this in cases ''where no hearing occurs.''

Armstrong clearly knew his legacy would be blemished by his decision. He said he has grown tired of defending himself in a seemingly never-ending fight against charges that he doped while piling up more Tour victories than anyone ever. He has consistently pointed to the hundreds of drug tests that he passed as proof of his innocence during his extraordinary run of Tour titles from 1999 to 2005.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strip him of the titles, where is the proof(?), he passed the drug tests didnt he?
Just more destroy the American, thanks obama for clearly making the world adore us once again.-;)-Tyr

CSM
08-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Typical ... browbeat and harass, tell the same lies over and over ... I am willing to bet that the USADA is a bunch of liberal Democrats.

jimnyc
08-24-2012, 10:35 AM
If you read the "proof" they were prepared to bring forth in arbitration, it sounded like he was screwed. Email proof, former teammates speaking out and apparently 2 blood tests from the 2009 area. I just don't trust any of it at this point. This man has literally submitted to hundreds and hundreds of tests over the years when he was dominating the TDF and they all came back clean. I suppose if you were fighting charge after charge after charge for years and years and years, eventually you would get tired of it and give up. He admitted no guilt, just refused to cooperate any further on this supposed witch hunt.

Part of me thinks Lance is 100% in the right here and I don't blame him for not wanting this to continue. But on the other hand, if they do in fact have tainted blood tests and testimony from teammates, I would be curious to hear about this evidence. But in order to strip him of his TDF victories, I think they would need proof of tainted blood tests from those races, but apparently that's not how it works. According to those in charge, if he bails from the process, they apparently have no choice but to strip him.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-24-2012, 10:41 AM
If you read the "proof" they were prepared to bring forth in arbitration, it sounded like he was screwed. Email proof, former teammates speaking out and apparently 2 blood tests from the 2009 area. I just don't trust any of it at this point. This man has literally submitted to hundreds and hundreds of tests over the years when he was dominating the TDF and they all came back clean. I suppose if you were fighting charge after charge after charge for years and years and years, eventually you would get tired of it and give up. He admitted no guilt, just refused to cooperate any further on this supposed witch hunt.

Part of me thinks Lance is 100% in the right here and I don't blame him for not wanting this to continue. But on the other hand, if they do in fact have tainted blood tests and testimony from teammates, I would be curious to hear about this evidence. But in order to strip him of his TDF victories, I think they would need proof of tainted blood tests from those races, but apparently that's not how it works. According to those in charge, if he bails from the process, they apparently have no choice but to strip him.

He has his fame and the money it has brought him. After this many years of fighting the onslaught maybe he just said f-you to them because its not worth it to him . After all hundreds of tests showwed him clean. If tests showed clean who cares what teammates say later? As if they can not or would not lie for whatever reasons. -Tyr