PDA

View Full Version : ARGH! Need to vent!

KitchenKitten99
08-25-2012, 11:34 AM
At least a couple times a month, when I go and open the door to the shop in the morning, most of the time well before we are actually open for business, some idiot walks in RIGHT BEHIND ME. Sometimes even before I have disabled the alarm system! The shop is COMPLETELY dark and they just walk over to the humidor and start picking stuff out. I don't flip the 'open' sign around until I have the register up and running.

I ask them if I can help them which I try not to be rude in asking. Then the guy looks around -STILL IN COMPLETE DARKNESS- "Oh are you open yet?"

EPIC FACEPALM! :facepalm99:

WTF????? I swear this general public is getting dumber and dumber and the guys that walk in are like 50's & up!!!

Seriously, what kind of GROWN MAN with any common sense walks in RIGHT BEHIND A LONE FEMALE into a DARK shop which she just unlocked the door to and then acts surprised when he doesn't get a warm welcome that would normally come if the LIGHTS WERE FRIGGIN' ON??????

Ok I am done now.

:soldier99:

jafar00
08-26-2012, 03:21 AM
It could be worse. You could have no customers ;)

If it's one thing I learned from my time in retail is that you should always expect the unexpected. People can be surprising and infuriating at times.

For the old fellas that walk in unexpectedly, you should apologise for not being ready yet, offer them a chair and a cup of tea while you prepare for the day. I used to do exactly that for an old fella who used to visit an electronics store I ran a few years ago. He would turn up and sit outside about 1/2 hour before opening. I used to open up early for him and give him a cuppa and a chat while I prepared for the day. He only ever bought small stuff like batteries and cassettes (showing my age) etc... but he appreciated good old fashioned service. It was also therapeutic for me to know I was making an old fella's day. He was a war veteran from WW2 too. What a good way to show appreciation for his sacrifice.

tailfins
08-26-2012, 06:38 AM
At least a couple times a month, when I go and open the door to the shop in the morning, most of the time well before we are actually open for business, some idiot walks in RIGHT BEHIND ME. Sometimes even before I have disabled the alarm system! The shop is COMPLETELY dark and they just walk over to the humidor and start picking stuff out. I don't flip the 'open' sign around until I have the register up and running.

I ask them if I can help them which I try not to be rude in asking. Then the guy looks around -STILL IN COMPLETE DARKNESS- "Oh are you open yet?"

EPIC FACEPALM! :facepalm99:

WTF????? I swear this general public is getting dumber and dumber and the guys that walk in are like 50's & up!!!

Seriously, what kind of GROWN MAN with any common sense walks in RIGHT BEHIND A LONE FEMALE into a DARK shop which she just unlocked the door to and then acts surprised when he doesn't get a warm welcome that would normally come if the LIGHTS WERE FRIGGIN' ON??????

Ok I am done now.

:soldier99:

How much does this guy spend in a month? If the number is trivial, assume the worst and get rid of him by any legal means necessary with no regard to courtesy, manners, etc. even if it means law enforcement involvement. At the very least, with someone else around, asking him why he follows you into a dark, closed store as if he were a rapist? I have heard of people get arrested for less than what that man is doing.

Gaffer
08-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Maybe you should make a habit of not unlocking the door until you have everything turned on. I 'm sure the one guy is just an example of many. Too many people think the shops and stores are there to do their bidding and they can do anything. The customer is always right attitude. I think that needs to be changed. The customer is always right, except when they're wrong.

Nice thing about message boards, you can rant and complain and not worry about it effecting your business.

KitchenKitten99
08-27-2012, 08:59 PM
How much does this guy spend in a month? If the number is trivial, assume the worst and get rid of him by any legal means necessary with no regard to courtesy, manners, etc. even if it means law enforcement involvement. At the very least, with someone else around, asking him why he follows you into a dark, closed store as if he were a rapist? I have heard of people get arrested for less than what that man is doing.

It isn't the same guy that does it. Seems to be random guys, whom I don't know. If it were guys I know, even THEY know better than to do stuff like this.

I have to unlock the front door to get in and open the shop at all. You would think that the sign on the front flipped to 'closed' and all the lights off regardless of clue people in that we aren't open yet. That and the hours are written right on the glass.

Methinks that if I am alone, I will just start locking the door behind me.

08-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Id lock the door behind you. Last thing you want is some man you dont know following you in if he has the intention of doing you harm. Thankfully, they havent yet. But I wouldnt want you to get hurt.

How much before the open time is this happening?

KitchenKitten99
08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
How much before the open time is this happening?

Depends... one time it was nearly 45 minutes before opening, and some kid (about 19 or 20) just walks in and starts yapping about a fundraiser he's looking for donations for. The whole store was dark, sign said closed, and I walked in about 10 minutes before. Apparently the RED sign that says "Closed, will reopen at 11am" doesn't apply to him. Or anyone that does the same thing.

Thunderknuckles
08-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Had a few guys like waiting outside the liquor store I worked at when I was younger. But, they were mart enough to know to wait until I had the lights turned on, the machines working, and cash register ready to roll before trying to come in.