PDA

View Full Version : Apple wins trademark lawsuit over Samsung

jimnyc
08-25-2012, 07:09 PM
And they cleared a cool $1 billion dollars! Here's an after story...

Apple’s $1 Billion Verdict May Lead to Samsung Sales BanApple Inc. (AAPL) won more than $1 billion after a jury found Samsung Electronics Co. infringed six of seven patents for its mobile devices in a verdict that may lead to a ban on U.S. sales of handheld electronics a judge deems to violate Apple’s rights.

Apple won less than half of what it sought in damages in the first lawsuit to go before a U.S. jury in the fight to dominate the global smartphone market, though U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh may later triple the damages against Samsung under federal law. Samsung avoided a finding of damages for antitrust law violations or breach of contract.

Koh, who presided over the four-week trial, scheduled a hearing next month to consider Apple’s request to make permanent a ban on U.S. sales of Samsung devices including its Galaxy Tab 10.1 computer, as well as to extend the ban to other Samsung products. Jurors in federal court in San Jose, California, found after just three days of deliberations that Samsung infringed three software patents related to its tablet computer and two of those related to Samsung’s smartphones.

“This is a huge victory for Apple,” Mark Lemley, a Stanford Law School professor, said in an e-mail. “The verdict is just large enough to be the largest surviving patent verdict in history.”

“Even more important is the injunction Judge Koh is likely to issue,” Lemley said after yesterday’s verdict. “The real question is whether this is enough to derail the momentum the Android ecosystem has gained in the marketplace.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-25/apple-s-1-billion-verdict-may-lead-to-samsung-sales-ban.html

Noir
08-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Been following this case (and several others) for a long time now, Sansumg were relentless and shameless in their copying.

For example, internal documents reveled how Samsung went through every feature of iOS, compared them to Their interface, and the 'suggested advice' at the bottom of every one of the 80ish pages was 'do what apple do'

It'll be interesting to see what the next Samsung is like, assuming they actually respect apples Patents this time.

jafar00
08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Screw Apple. I went to a store to see if my Galaxy Tab 10.1 fit into an ipad case. It didn't.

It's interesting to note that Apple have not been successful in other lawsuites in other countries. Only the US.

I smell corruption.

Noir
08-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Screw Apple. I went to a store to see if my Galaxy Tab 10.1 fit into an ipad case. It didn't.

It's interesting to note that Apple have not been successful in other lawsuites in other countries. Only the US.

I smell corruption.

Smell corruption? Have you *READ* the evidence?

The disputes in 'other countries' The UK, Germany, and Holland, are to do with 'look and feel' concepts. This trail was totally different in that it involved specific patented software, and development concepts.

You'll also be surprised (since you didn't read it) to learn that in the American case, the Galaxy Tab was found to not infringe on the iPads 'look and feel' just like in 'other countries'

Please bother to *READ* before you start this non-sense.

jimnyc
08-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Smell corruption? Have you *READ* the evidence?

The disputes in 'other countries' The UK, Germany, and Holland, are to do with 'look and feel' concepts. This trail was totally different in that it involved specific patented software, and development concepts.

You'll also be surprised (since you didn't read it) to learn that in the American case, the Galaxy Tab was found to not infringe on the iPads 'look and feel' just like in 'other countries'

Please bother to *READ* before you start this non-sense.

LOL, Noir is angry! LOL I love it. You Apple folks sure are defensive of your products, and consistent! :beer:

Kathianne
08-26-2012, 07:35 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/apple-s-big-win-could-be-loss-for-consumers/article_3e20c5bb-eae2-5e8e-833d-254c13b38a59.html

Apple's big win could be loss for consumers Android phone makers could feel the chill of billion-dollar verdict against Samsung, cutting back on users' choices....

"Some of these device makers might end up saying, 'We love Android, but we really don't want to fight with Apple anymore,'" said Christopher Marlett, CEO of MDB Capital Group, an investment bank specializing in intellectual property. "I think it may ultimately come down to Google having to indemnify these guys, if it wants them to continue using Android."

That's if the verdict stands. Samsung, the Seoul-based global leader among smartphone makers, vowed to fight. The company's lawyers told the judge they intended to ask her to toss out the verdict.

"This decision should not be allowed to stand, because it would discourage innovation and limit the rights of consumers to make choices for themselves," Samsung lead lawyer John Quinn said.

Apple lawyers plan to demand Samsung pull its most popular cellphones and computer tablets from the U.S. market. They also can ask the judge to triple the damages from $1.05 billion to $3 billion.

Noir
08-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Less choice? This *forces* companies to innovate. A company like Samsung can't go through every apple feature and say 'this is better, copy that'

Companies that have innovated, like Nokia, or Windows Phones, will be judged on the free market against the likes of Apple. (I for one really like the Metro interface), if they grow, great, if they fail, sucks.

The irony that just having been found guiltily of wilfully infringing apple patents (after internal samsung emails that where uncovered proved) they are claiming that this will stop innovation is dumfounding. I can only assume they hope that most people will only hear bits and bobs and assume that apple are trying to attack Samsung rather than defend their own patents.

Noir
08-26-2012, 08:04 PM
To see how shameless some of the interface copying was -

Internal Samsung documentes comparing touchWiz on the S1 to iOS, page after page 'our phone does this, which is bad, apples phone does this, which is good, lets do what apple do...'

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102322739/Samsung-Comparison-Report