PDA

View Full Version : Gonna attempt to cross one my bucket list activities off...

KitchenKitten99
08-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Many people as of lately, are creating 'bucket lists'. A list of things they wish to do before they 'kick the bucket'.

I kind of have a mental list going but I thought it would be a good idea to write them all down. Maybe even add to them or re-evaluate them.

One of them kind of came into sharp relief this year when I was working my booth at the Game Fair. Growing up in a family that hunts and fishes (more casually than anything), I am used to the whole theme of the fair. One sport I have always had admiration for is bow-hunting. Rifle hunting doesn't have the same appeal to me. Almost seems like cheating.

Bow-hunting deer (or other animal) in my opinion is the ultimate Man vs. Food. You have to be WAY more accurate and much more skilled than a hunter who uses a rifle. If I were ever to go hunting, it would be using a bow and arrow. On my bucket list is bow-hunting, but it is farther down the list than most.

Thus my posting this now. I have decided I would like to scratch this off my bucket list sooner, rather than later. I have never shot a modern bow, only the cheesy school ones back in middle school during the archery unit.

So before I go do anything, I need to learn how to use one of those new and very-intimidating-looking set-ups. I will give myself one year to learn how to use one, practice, and ultimately purchase a set-up for myself. So, next fall is my goal. By bow-hunting season 2013, I will be purchasing my first license to hunt deer. I will then go out on my own... and be the star of my own WOMAN vs. Food.

Stay tuned...

also blogged this on my blog:
http://conservativecynic.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-bucket-list.html?zx=1360b841cc8b573b

CSM
08-25-2012, 08:39 PM
My mother was 67 years old when she decided to try archery. She was not a hunter but she loved target shooting. Within a year of her first lesson she was winning tournaments left and right. Good luck to you ... you can do it!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Many people as of lately, are creating 'bucket lists'. A list of things they wish to do before they 'kick the bucket'.

I kind of have a mental list going but I thought it would be a good idea to write them all down. Maybe even add to them or re-evaluate them.

One of them kind of came into sharp relief this year when I was working my booth at the Game Fair. Growing up in a family that hunts and fishes (more casually than anything), I am used to the whole theme of the fair. One sport I have always had admiration for is bow-hunting. Rifle hunting doesn't have the same appeal to me. Almost seems like cheating.

Bow-hunting deer (or other animal) in my opinion is the ultimate Man vs. Food. You have to be WAY more accurate and much more skilled than a hunter who uses a rifle. If I were ever to go hunting, it would be using a bow and arrow. On my bucket list is bow-hunting, but it is farther down the list than most.

Thus my posting this now. I have decided I would like to scratch this off my bucket list sooner, rather than later. I have never shot a modern bow, only the cheesy school ones back in middle school during the archery unit.

So before I go do anything, I need to learn how to use one of those new and very-intimidating-looking set-ups. I will give myself one year to learn how to use one, practice, and ultimately purchase a set-up for myself. So, next fall is my goal. By bow-hunting season 2013, I will be purchasing my first license to hunt deer. I will then go out on my own... and be the star of my own WOMAN vs. Food.

Stay tuned...

also blogged this on my blog:
http://conservativecynic.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-bucket-list.html?zx=1360b841cc8b573b

It can be done in a years time if you are dedicated and become good enough to shoot accurately enough to hunt with bow and arrow. Good for you and best of luck. Archery takes dedication especially if one intends to hunt using bow and arrow. Wounding game should be avoided by being skilled enough in using the hunting weapon chosen to be able make kill shots with a high rate of accuracy . -Tyr

KitchenKitten99
08-27-2012, 03:35 PM
It can be done in a years time if you are dedicated and become good enough to shoot accurately enough to hunt with bow and arrow. Good for you and best of luck. Archery takes dedication especially if one intends to hunt using bow and arrow. Wounding game should be avoided by being skilled enough in using the hunting weapon chosen to be able make kill shots with a high rate of accuracy . -Tyr

Which is why I am going to take lessons first. There is a place only about 2 miles from home that offers lessons and sells/rents equipment. They were also at the Game Fair with their stuff.