PDA

View Full Version : The rule of law

jimnyc
08-27-2012, 05:17 PM
We've had a lot of discussions recently about laws in various countries, upholding these laws, asylum and other related topics. We can take the discussion in various directions of course, but I wanted to ask a question or questions for starters...

If there is a law on the books, and penalties are included, and no one is currently addressing our government and/or the courts to have these laws changed - should the laws be enforced when someone breaks them, however absurd they may seem to some? Do we and should we allow the courts to address those issues until such time laws are officially repealed, if repealed at all?

And for example, let's assume someone faces charges and fights them in court. They lose their court case. Is it reasonable for someone to appeal a case in which the underlying law is considered to be absurd? Do we encourage people to run from the rule of law, whether in hiding in their own country or fleeing to another? I'm not necessarily speaking of someone charged with an antiquated law, or not charged at all, but rather charged and already found guilty.

Of course it's difficult to give general answers to these questions. I'm confident it would be much easier for many to answer if speaking of specific cases. But that's the kicker to my line of questioning - should laws be upheld differently in different cases?

I'm of the belief that no one is above the law. If a written and standing law is broken, that person should be charged, no matter who they are. I think it's up to the judicial system to handle the matter from there. I'll add in more as I see how others feel...

jimnyc
08-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Another thought to toss in which spotlights sort of what I am getting at. Women in NYC want to fight the 'nudity laws' or the right to go topless. As it stands right now, women cannot roam the city or sunbathe topless. A bunch of women (and men I'm sure) want this law changed. To protest this law, if a woman walked down 5th Avenue letting it all hang out, should she be charged with a law on the books? Suppose the cop that happens to see her, agrees that the law is one sided, does he let her go based on his personal beliefs on the law, or does he uphold the law he swore to?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Another thought to toss in which spotlights sort of what I am getting at. Women in NYC want to fight the 'nudity laws' or the right to go topless. As it stands right now, women cannot roam the city or sunbathe topless. A bunch of women (and men I'm sure) want this law changed. To protest this law, if a woman walked down 5th Avenue letting it all hang out, should she be charged with a law on the books? Suppose the cop that happens to see her, agrees that the law is one sided, does he let her go based on his personal beliefs on the law, or does he uphold the law he swore to?

If she is a knock out let her carry on . If she is hideous arrest her..-:laugh2:
Seriously , the cops already do plenty of selective enforcement. I live in the South and down here blacks can and do disobey traffic signs, speed, drive with no license, drive recklessly, drive cars with numerous violations, like no tags, no insurance, non-working tail-lights, brake lights , signal lights etc. First time a cop sees me with a light not functioning they write me a ticket yet they turn a blind eye to the blacks doing it by the thousands. I've been seeing that since the mid 60's . If I only had a dollar for each and everytime I've seen blacks here breaking numerous trafic laws and regulations, my God I could easily make a few hundred bucks a day everyday and my city is small, only about 38,000!! Memphis is far far worse. Blacks here have been getting huge passes for many things from law enforcement for well over 50 years. Can't tell me that its not institutionalised here. My nephew was on the County Law Enforcement as a deputy and he validates my assertions 100% about the officers being given instructions about what to turn a blind eye to with blacks. Fact...-Tyr