PDA

View Full Version : Red China tries to give Obama a boost

tailfins
08-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Making loans to loosen credit:
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/90cd25de-ec9b-11e1-8e4a-00144feab49a.html#axzz24tSe9gqn

And writing anti-Romney stories for other media to pick up:
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/08/28/chinese_media_slams_romney_as_convention_begins

If you have trouble with first link:

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/90cd25de-ec9b-11e1-8e4a-00144feab49a.html#ixzz24tVX1t1F

Chinese banks step up lending in the US

By Kandy Wong in New York

China’s top banks are stepping up their lending activities in the US as large US companies diversify their funding sources and seek to penetrate more deeply into the world’s second-largest economy.

Chinese banks’ share of US syndicated lending has risen to 6.1 per cent of the total market so far in 2012, up from 5.1 per cent last year, according to data from Dealogic. So far this year, the total value of syndicated loans from Chinese banks into the US has reached $51bn.

More
On this story

CDB chief leads China’s thrust overseas
Economists weigh Chinese ‘hard landing’
Debt crisis sends European blue-chips to bonds

On this topic

May opposes relaxing Chinese visa rules
Drop in China trade growth stirs concern
China dip sends iron ore to nine-month low
Beijing exports weigh on Africa’s producers

IN Emerging Markets

Injectables take centre stage at Hikma
China slowdown fears overstated, says Mobius
Indonesia must not put good fortune to the test
Wipro offers timid revenue outlook

Liao Qiang, Chinese banking analyst at Standard & Poor’s, said: “Many global banks have been deleveraging as a result of the 2008 global financial crisis and the debt crisis in Europe. Their retreat in lending markets provides opportunities for Chinese banks to deepen relationships with the multinational companies and steadily increase their international presence.”

The increased syndicated lending by Chinese banks comes as their balance sheets compare favourably with US counterparts.

Standard & Poor’s last year upgraded the long term credit ratings of Bank of China and China Construction Bank from A- to A. The credit rating agency maintained the rating of Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) at A. At the same time, the long-term credit ratings of Bank of America, Citigroup and Goldman Sachs were cut to A-.

Among the latest deals, Bank of China is involved in a $1.4bn syndicated loan to Zimmer Holdings, the medical device company, and Bank of East Asia is part of a $575m loan syndication to Constellation Brands, the wine and beer group.

Industrial and Commercial Bank of China took part in an $11.8bn syndicated loan for Walmart, the US retailer.

Bi Mingqiang, general manager of ICBC’s New York branch, said the bank was seeking long-term lending relationships with US companies which had a presence in China and elsewhere. The bank provides credit to United Parcel Service, Pfizer and Dell.

UPS said linking with a Chinese bank had made it easier to conduct business in renminbi, while Dell said it had developed relationships with Chinese banks for the same reason.

CCB’s clients include General Electric, and the bank has also had discussions with Caterpillar, Walt Disney, Tiffany and Cargill.

John Weinshank, head of corporate banking at CCB, added that lending was only a starting point to extend into other businesses, such as deposit and trade finance.

CCB’s lending business in the US has risen from $600m in 2009 to $2bn this year, while ICBC, which established a New York branch in 2008, had made more than $1.3bn of loans to US companies at the end of 2011 compared with zero at the start of 2009.

Last year, ICBC, Bank of China and China Merchant Bank participated in a $6bn syndicated loan to Duke Energy – the first time the North Carolina-based energy group borrowed money from Chinese banks.

“There’s a global relocation of capital from the west to the east. This is an evolution process,” said Mr Weinshank. “Nowadays, the Brics banks [in Brazil, Russia, India and China] have a seat at the table.”

He said ratings upgrades of Chinese banks represented a turning point for large US companies to consider Chinese groups as lenders.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-01-2012, 03:34 PM
And obama has his people start giving China a boost. Looks like to me that a deal was made . Clinton now announces to the world new policies on what we will support/allow from China in the Pacific. China will expand not just its Navy but will retake "lost" territory just as I've been saying for years now! Already getting ready to do that by taking in the Philippines.-Tyr

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/01/13605495-big-enough-for-all-of-us-clinton-says-us-can-work-with-china-in-pacific?lite

'Big enough for all of us': Clinton says US can work with China in Pacific
Jim Watson / AP

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton speaks during an event on peace and security in the Pacific, in Rarotonga, Cook Islands, on Friday.
By NBC News wire services
RAROTONGA, Cook Islands -- The United States will buttress security partnerships across the Pacific as it strengthens ties with island nations, but also hopes to work more closely with China as Beijing expands its own influence in the region, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said on Friday. Clinton arrived in the tiny Pacific outpost of the Cook Islands for this year's Pacific Islands Forum, part of Washington's effort to woo nations across the Asia-Pacific which are increasingly coming under China's shadow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clinton told the gathering, which represents 16 independent and self-governing states ranging from Australia and New Zealand to smaller islands such as Tuvalu and Nauru, that the United States was in the region for the long haul.
But she also played down growing perceptions of a U.S.-China rivalry in the region, declaring "the Pacific is big enough for all of us" and dismissing the notion that expanded U.S. activity was "a hedge against particular countries."

Kathianne
09-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Making loans to loosen credit:
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/90cd25de-ec9b-11e1-8e4a-00144feab49a.html#axzz24tSe9gqn

And writing anti-Romney stories for other media to pick up:
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/08/28/chinese_media_slams_romney_as_convention_begins

If you have trouble with first link:

This very much reminds me of when Reagan was running, Nixon too. In both cases being very much an avid 'globalist' I was against both men for President. Ok, ok, I may have been a tad naive. I did have enough sense in both cases to look back and say that the 'respect/fear' each was held in by 'those not our allies' worked out well for out country in the long run.

No doubt, the 'respect' over love that Christie spoke about.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-01-2012, 11:55 PM
This very much reminds me of when Reagan was running, Nixon too. In both cases being very much an avid 'globalist' I was against both men for President. Ok, ok, I may have been a tad naive. I did have enough sense in both cases to look back and say that the 'respect/fear' each was held in by 'those not our allies' worked out well for out country in the long run.

No doubt, the 'respect' over love that Christie spoke about.

Obama made no other nation love us as was promised but he did make more nations respect us much less.
The world functions on brute force or ability to use such dominating interactions between nations. Respect for us depends on how much bad nations fear us. Trying to be a weak, kiss ass , beg for forgiveness nation has been a disaster and obama is either a damn complete fool or a damn traitor. Neither one bodes well for us! I'd rather he was the fool but strongly believe traitor fits him better. I disliked Bill Clinton greatly but never declared that he was not my president, I do so in regards to obama. That is how sure I am that his weakening of our nation is a deliberate policy with him!-Tyr

Kathianne
09-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Obama made no other nation love us as was promised but he did make more nations respect us much less.
The world functions on brute force or ability to use such dominating interactions between nations. Respect for us depends on how much bad nations fear us. Trying to be a weak, kiss ass , beg for forgiveness nation has been a disaster and obama is either a damn complete fool or a damn traitor. Neither one bodes well for us! I'd rather he was the fool but strongly believe traitor fits him better. I disliked Bill Clinton greatly but never declared that he was not my president, I do so in regards to obama. That is how sure I am that his weakening of our nation is a deliberate policy with him!-Tyr

I think Michelle spoke volumes when she said, "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback."

I don't think either of them like the US or its people that aren't in lockstep with their vision.

I didn't like the Clintons, but I never doubted they cared about the country and its people. Same with Carter. While Clinton moved the ball along and Carter kept losing yardage, both cared and worked hard, regardless of results. Not so with the Obama.

Thunderknuckles
09-02-2012, 12:29 AM
I think Michelle spoke volumes when she said, "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback."

I don't think either of them like the US or its people that aren't in lockstep with their vision.

I didn't like the Clintons, but I never doubted they cared about the country and its people. Same with Carter. While Clinton moved the ball along and Carter kept losing yardage, both cared and worked hard, regardless of results. Not so with the Obama.
Agreed Kat and Tyr.
The quote from Michelle Obama still has me shaking my head. I don't believe that was scripted because no speech writer would ever let that happen. She honestly believed in what she said.
She's lived her entire life in a country she is not proud of until they elected her husband President? The U.S. is not without it's faults but I can go on all day long on why this is the greatest nation in human history.

taft2012
09-02-2012, 08:22 AM
The real backhand part of Missy's comment is how she specifies "adult life"... meaning she was once proud of her country before, but that was when she was just a stupid kid. She got smarter, we didn't.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-02-2012, 09:49 AM
The real backhand part of Missy's comment is how she specifies "adult life"... meaning she was once proud of her country before, but that was when she was just a stupid kid. She got smarter, we didn't.

Her Black Liberation Theology (BLT)came forth and we got a glimpse of her arrogance and elitism. I agree with you , she put it like she grew up and quit believing in fairy tales . Her mistake was our nation, freedoms and Constitution only seems like a fairytale to those billions living around the world that are deprived of these things which we accept as our birthright.
America needs an education on BLT and would have got one had the media not been sold out to protect obama and his ugly wife. Instead the media calls it just another Christian denomination. It is not it is a strange mixture of religious ,political and militant movement . Any good research on Rev. Wright will reveal the cult is a marxist based organization that uses a religious cover to advance its ideals. -Tyr