PDA

View Full Version : Bill Nye the LIBERAL Guy

tailfins
08-30-2012, 05:47 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/29/cience-guy-bill-nye-says-creationism-hurts-kids/?test=latestnews&intcmp=features

logroller
08-30-2012, 06:06 AM
I dont think he's denouncing God or anything, just that the young creation talk is detrimental to understanding modern science. Its pretty far-fetched to believe the earth is 6000 years old and at the same time utilize radioisotope half-lives for cancer treatments; but whatever, I'm sure foreign doctors will fill the position...liberally ;)

tailfins
08-30-2012, 07:39 AM
I dont think he's denouncing God or anything, just that the young creation talk is detrimental to understanding modern science. Its pretty far-fetched to believe the earth is 6000 years old and at the same time utilize radioisotope half-lives for cancer treatments; but whatever, I'm sure foreign doctors will fill the position...liberally ;)

That would be religious discrimination and have an employment lawyer licking his chops. It's only far fetched for those with religious prejudice. I find such detail tiresome, but have heard discussions such as "Was a day always 24 hours as we know it"? and such. I'm not going to sit here and pick apart the minutia of someone's religion. It's also far fetched for the leader of the free world to wear "magic underwear". Hey, if that makes him happy, it's far less painful than having a gangster in the White House.

fj1200
08-30-2012, 07:59 AM

I think he's trying to make an issue out of something that isn't an issue. How many are truly in the young-earth camp that is so detrimental?

cadet
08-30-2012, 08:10 AM
I thought he died some time when i was in middle school. Why does this matter?

fj1200
08-30-2012, 08:31 AM
^Because he can make some Republicans/Christians look bad of course.

Noir
08-30-2012, 08:39 AM
I think he's trying to make an issue out of something that isn't an issue. How many are truly in the young-earth camp that is so detrimental?

Somewhere around 40% of Americans are in the 'God made us, as we are, within the last 10,000 years' camp. Remarkable really.

tailfins
08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Somewhere around 40% of Americans are in the 'God made us, as we are, within the last 10,000 years' camp. Remarkable really.

What is a year?
If you answer with another unit of time, please define THAT unit of time.

fj1200
08-30-2012, 08:53 AM

Ahem.

... that is so detrimental?

And.

A 2000 poll for People for the American Way (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_for_the_American_Way) found 70% of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) public felt that evolution was compatible with a belief in God.[184] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism#cite_note-pfaw-184)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism#Prevalence

cadet
08-30-2012, 09:19 AM
You know what, just look around yourselves. All this just "Chance came to being?"

The big bang doesn't make a lot of sense to me personally. Nothing just came into being? giant explosion from nothing? Or better yet, a super atom that came from nowhere just exploded and everything happened. Does that sound like divine intervention? stuff was created.

Do you realize the chances of life NEVER happening? if physics were just A LITTLE different? Hell, the chance that anything exists at all is a damn miracle. The fact that existence is existence is extraordinary.

One thing both agree on is that first there was nothing, then there was something. And i find it very hard to believe that this is all just happenstance. The greatest fluke of an impossible universe just HAPPENING to be there. And, you can't forget the IMPOSSIBLE explosion.

Yes, i believe in evolution, I believe God tweaks things as life goes. Or perhaps he wanted to give life a fighting chance, just in case something happened or something moved somewhere else to a new environment. Keeps things interesting.

http://www.bibleevidences.com/scientif.htm

God asked Job “Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, Or loose the belt of Orion?” (Job 38:31 (http://biblia.com/bible/nkjv/Job%2038.31)). In the last century astrophysicists have discovered that the stars of Pleiades move in unison with each other, and are thus gravitationally bound. They have also discovered that the stars in the belt of Orion are free agents that are not gravitationally bound!<small>6 (http://www.bibleevidences.com/scientif.htm#Footnote6)</small> Interestingly, the three stars that comprise Orion's belt appear to be closer together than the outer stars in the constellation, but are actually farther apart! (they appear closer together because of the 2-D plane we see them in).

And people say creationism is whack. I say a whole lot of nothing exploding into something that just happened to turn into us is freaking insane.

logroller
08-30-2012, 10:28 AM
What is a year?
If you answer with another unit of time, please define THAT unit of time.
The Earth's elliptical period of orbit about the sun.

tailfins
08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
The Earth's elliptical period of orbit about the sun.

Now, do we know that Earth has always orbited the sun at the same speed?

Missileman
08-30-2012, 02:20 PM

Do you understand what would happen to the orbit if the planet suddenly slowed to a millionth of it's speed?

cadet
08-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Do you understand what would happen to the orbit if the planet suddenly slowed to a millionth of it's speed?

Literary nothing.

Same as goes for the idiots that say if we were only a few feet closer to the sun we'd all burn up. even though the earth rotates in an elliptical route...

logroller
08-30-2012, 02:40 PM
P
I'm not sure what 'we' know, I'm no astrophysicist, but I'm pretty sure scientific discovery doesn't premise nor seek to conclude creationism as "whack". I believe, within the context of years( like say, 10000 years) the year itself is relatively constant. the foundation of science does not rest on allegorical perspective or temporal definitions. I think that's the point bill nye was trying to make.

logroller
08-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Literary nothing.

Same as goes for the idiots that say if we were only a few feet closer to the sun we'd all burn up. even though the earth rotates in an elliptical route...
Those people are idiots, but you're wrong on two counts-- 1) you mean literally, not literary. And 2) the physical forces involved in orbit requires a certain angular velocity to be maintained, if the speed changed magnitudes, the orbital path would change accordingly, possibly entirely. You mentioned the elliptical path-- technically the Earth is accelerating towards the sun from the perihelion to aphelion, and falling(decel) away the other half of the year (maybe I mixed those up) Did you take physics in high school? This is all pretty basic Newtonian stuff: F=M x A, For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction etc.

Noir
08-30-2012, 03:16 PM
You have to kind of admire the fact that in order to make something fit how they think it should be, people are happy to publicly post things like 'the earth is 10,000 years old, but a year isn't a year', they're trying so hard.

tailfins
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Those people are idiots, but you're wrong on two counts-- 1) you mean literally, not literary. And 2) the physical forces involved in orbit requires a certain angular velocity to be maintained, if the speed changed magnitudes, the orbital path would change accordingly, possibly entirely. You mentioned the elliptical path-- technically the Earth is accelerating towards the sun from the perihelion to aphelion, and falling(decel) away the other half of the year (maybe I mixed those up) Did you take physics in high school? This is all pretty basic Newtonian stuff: F=M x A, For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction etc.

My point was there are numerous explanations offered to explain controversial religious beliefs. I smell bigotry when that avenue is dismissed out of hand.

Noir
08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
My point was there are numerous explanations offered to explain controversial religious beliefs. I smell bigotry when that avenue is dismissed out of hand.

'Numerous Explications' that are torn apart by science. If someone's 'explanation' is that the earth use to go much faster, or slower etc, then they open themselves up to science, because they are making scientific claims, and suddenly their 'explanations' run into problems.

tailfins
08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
'Numerous Explications' that are torn apart by science. If someone's 'explanation' is that the earth use to go much faster, or slower etc, then they open themselves up to science, because they are making scientific claims, and suddenly their 'explanations' run into problems.

Is that a justifiable reason to discriminate against them? When people like Bill Nye get their way, it creates a hostile, discriminatory environment for conservative Christians. Evolution is a THEORY, not a provable fact. Creationism is another THEORY.

logroller
08-30-2012, 03:36 PM

My point is that, far more egregiously, religious beliefs are used to dismiss scientific explanations, not the other way around. Is that Bigotry? :dunno:, but willful ignorance certainly plays a part.

cadet
08-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Is that a justifiable reason to discriminate against them? When people like Bill Nye get their way, it creates a hostile, discriminatory environment for conservative Christians. Evolution is a THEORY, not a provable fact. Creationism is another THEORY.

I disagree. It creates a discriminatory environment toward every religion ever. Except those nuts at scientology.

tailfins
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
My point is that, far more egregiously, religious beliefs are used to dismiss scientific explanations, not the other way around. Is that Bigotry? :dunno:, but willful ignorance certainly plays a part.

While that may be, the Constitution protects religious adherence. If the beliefs are so easily refutable, why would banning their discussion in an educational environment be a problem?

logroller
08-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Creationism is not a theory, its a belief. theories are based on observation and testable hypotheses. That's what nye is trying to show, just how unscientific our nation is becoming. Obviously, you don't understand the difference-- which proves his point. Dude, is it reasonable to pick the fat kid last, because he sucks at sports? Uh yep! That discrimination too. Just like if someone goes about talking about how the evil spirits in your soul cause your sore throat and the barber decides one merely needs a good bleeding-- I'd discriminate against them too. Sorry if that's thats too hostile for ya, just ages hundred hundred years ago one would be burned at the stake for nye said-- I'd say we've become remarkably less hostile.

Noir
08-30-2012, 03:52 PM

"Evolution is a theory" just like gravity, and electromagnetism, right?

I'm happy for alternative ideas to be put forward, but it has to be subject to scientific scrutiny. Young earth theories do not stand up to scientific scrutiny.

logroller
08-30-2012, 04:01 PM
While that may be, the Constitution protects religious adherence. If the beliefs are so easily refutable, why would banning their discussion in an educational environment be a problem?
Just like free speech protects lies, The constitution protects ignorance too. I mean, you're free to teach your kids creationism, but don't hold out a lot of hope for their being a nobelaureate in physics. Look there's plenty of good, positive lessons in the bible -- why hang your hat on seven days?

Missileman
08-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Literary nothing.

So you believe that magic keeps the earth in its present orbit and not its speed?

cadet
08-30-2012, 06:17 PM
So you believe that magic keeps the earth in its present orbit and not its speed?

You said if it slowed down a millionth of it's current speed. Nothing would happen.

Missileman
08-30-2012, 06:27 PM
You said if it slowed down a millionth of it's current speed. Nothing would happen.

No, I said to a millionth of it's current speed as in it would take one millions years to travel the distance of the current orbit.

cadet
08-30-2012, 06:36 PM
No, I said to a millionth of it's current speed as in it would take one millions years to travel the distance of the current orbit.

Oh, ok, in that case we'd all die horribly and painfully.