In a move sure to raise even more questions about the decision to go to war
with Iraq, the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence will on Friday
release selected portions of pre-war intelligence in which the CIA warned
the administration of the risk and consequences of a conflict in the Middle
East.

Among other things, the 40-page Senate report reveals that two intelligence
assessments before the war accurately predicted that toppling Saddam could
lead to a dangerous period of internal violence and provide a boost to
terrorists. But those warnings were seemingly ignored.

In January 2003, two months before the invasion, the intelligence
community's think tank — the National Intelligence Council — issued an
assessment warning that after Saddam was toppled, there was “a significant
chance that domestic groups would engage in violent conflict with each other
and that rogue Saddam loyalists would wage guerilla warfare either by
themselves or in alliance with terrorists.”

It also warned that “many angry young recruits” would fuel the rank of
Islamic extremists and "Iraqi political culture is so embued with mores
(opposed) to the democratic experience … that it may resist the most
rigorous and prolonged democratic tutorials."

None of those warnings were reflected in the administration's predictions
about the war.

In fact, Vice President Cheney stated the day before the war, “Now, I think
things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi
people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators.”

A second assessment weeks before the invasion warned that the war also could
be “exploited by terrorists and extremists outside Iraq.”

The same assessment added, “Iraqi patience with an extended U.S. presence
after an overwhelming victory would be short,” and said “humanitarian
conditions in many parts of Iraq would probably not understand that the
Coalition wartime logistic pipeline would require time to reorient its
mission to humanitarian aid.”

Both assessments were given to the White House and to congressional
intelligence committees.

loosecannon
05-25-2007, 01:17 AM
TENET!

Get your ass over here NOW!

Gaffer
05-25-2007, 12:19 PM
I see that favorite word in there again. "ignored"...it's what is always said about advice or briefings given to the president. Just because something isn't acted upon doesn't mean its ignored. Other factors come into play with every decision.
Factors we and the news media are not privy too.

Dilloduck
05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I see that favorite word in there again. "ignored"...it's what is always said about advice or briefings given to the president. Just because something isn't acted upon doesn't mean its ignored. Other factors come into play with every decision.

If Eisenhower and FDR has "listened" to all the warnings regarding Operation Overlord,the European invasion may have never taken place. They were "warned" to expect 10,000 KIAs.

lily
05-25-2007, 01:10 PM
I see that favorite word in there again. "ignored"...it's what is always said about advice or briefings given to the president.

You're right. He does seem to ignore a lot of things. One wonders what the world would have been like if he didn't ignore that important daily briefing and postponed his vacation.

Just because something isn't acted upon doesn't mean its ignored. Other factors come into play with every decision.

Gaffer, while I applaud your dedication, this one is a biggie. We were warned that this would have happend, and ignored it. People that knew about this culture spoke up and it didn't fit into what this administrations agenda was, so it was ignored and look what we have now, much like the firing of Arabic translators when we needed them the most. If some sort of preperation or foresight would have been put into this, we might be out of there by now.

This war has been nothing but one "ignore" and mistake after another. I don't know what other factors could come into play that you are talking about. Sounds like wishful thinking and excuses to me.

Dilloduck
05-25-2007, 01:32 PM
You're right. He does seem to ignore a lot of things. One wonders what the world would have been like if he didn't ignore that important daily briefing and postponed his vacation.

Gaffer, while I applaud your dedication, this one is a biggie. We were warned that this would have happend, and ignored it. People that knew about this culture spoke up and it didn't fit into what this administrations agenda was, so it was ignored and look what we have now, much like the firing of Arabic translators when we needed them the most. If some sort of preperation or foresight would have been put into this, we might be out of there by now.

This war has been nothing but one "ignore" and mistake after another. I don't know what other factors could come into play that you are talking about. Sounds like wishful thinking and excuses to me.

Then Congress shouldn't have funded the war again.

lily
05-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Then Congress shouldn't have funded the war again.

I gree %100 and I know how mine voted.

Psychoblues
05-28-2007, 03:40 AM
Mine voted for it and I am ashamed of them.

I gree %100 and I know how mine voted.

But I am not a voice in the wilderness. My neighbors are beginning to think, I think. Many of them are pretty quiet right now but I never shut up.

nevadamedic
05-28-2007, 03:43 AM

The Liberal Media is only interested in storys that attack the President, not support him.

stephanie
05-28-2007, 05:55 AM

But I am not a voice in the wilderness. My neighbors are beginning to think, I think. Many of them are pretty quiet right now but I never shut up.

???????:poke:

Psychoblues
05-28-2007, 06:06 AM
Liberal Media? Point it out, nm. There is no such thing in the year 2007 or in any years that I can remember.

The Liberal Media is only interested in storys that attack the President, not support him.

Point it out with quotes and links or I must consider you a liar. Actually, I already thought that but surely you can come up with something, can't you?

TheSage
05-28-2007, 08:05 AM

Yes, gaffer, it really is our duty as good little republicans to just do as we're told and trust everyone with an 'R' after their name.

Psychoblues
05-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Even after all these years and all these lives and all these revelations you are still trying to defend your locksteps?

Yes, gaffer, it really is our duty as good little republicans to just do as we're told and trust everyone with an 'R' after their name.

Git along lil' doggies, the herd is turning left!!!!!!!!!!

TheSage
05-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Even after all these years and all these lives and all these revelations you are still trying to defend your locksteps?

Git along lil' doggies, the herd is turning left!!!!!!!!!!

That was sarcasm, turdknocker.

Psychoblues
05-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Excuuuuse the hell out of me, Surge.

That was sarcasm, turdknocker.

Can I count on you for my next campaign? ShitSlinger?

Dilloduck
05-28-2007, 08:51 AM

Please try !

Psychoblues
05-28-2007, 09:06 AM
The good Lord knows I sit on my hands and bite my tongue

Please try !

But, he compels me to speak out and demand justice when justice is not forthcoming. You might call it genetics which would circumvent your religion but I call it righteous which would describe my inclinations.

Doniston
05-28-2007, 11:24 AM
The Liberal Media is only interested in storys that attack the President, not support him. Now is he was doing something right, maybe they could support him. but that hasn't been tried recently.

Doniston
05-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Please try ! Why should he do that????

Psychoblues
06-01-2007, 04:22 AM
I tried.

The good Lord knows I sit on my hands and bite my tongue

But, he compels me to speak out and demand justice when justice is not forthcoming. You might call it genetics which would circumvent your religion but I call it righteous which would describe my inclinations.

What did you do?

06-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Liberal Media? Point it out, nm. There is no such thing in the year 2007 or in any years that I can remember.

Point it out with quotes and links or I must consider you a liar. Actually, I already thought that but surely you can come up with something, can't you?

Why does he need to point out quotes when the thread demonstrates the very point you are denying in its first post?

06-01-2007, 07:23 AM
I tried.

What did you do?

You realize you are responding to your own posts now dont you?

Psychoblues
06-03-2007, 03:42 AM
You don't get it.

You realize you are responding to your own posts now dont you?

Why am I not surprised?

06-03-2007, 11:38 AM
You don't get it.

Why am I not surprised?

because you are clearly skizophrenic and sane people would obviously be at a disadvanage to "getting it."